Style Links

The Harbor Town Golf Links is one of three 18-hole courses at the Sea Pines Resort. It is constantly ranked one of the best courses in the area and in the U.S. Pete Dye, with help from Jack Nicklaus, who designed the course and it is touted as one of his finest courses. The par-71 course covers 7,099 yards of flat terrain. Harbor Town's sloping greens are small and covered in Tif Eagle grass.

There are several challenging par 3s but the signature hole of the golf course is a tricky par 4. The infamous 18th hole is 458 yards that require a long tee shot towards the lighthouse. The breeze from the Calibogue Sound is definitely a factor in the difficulty of the hole.

The Sea Pines Resort - Harbour Town Golf Links

Year Built 1969
Fairways Celebration Bermuda Grass
Greens Tif-Eagle Bermuda Grass
Architect Pete Dye (1969) Jack Nicklaus (1969) Alice Dye (1969) MacCurrach Golf

Caddies Yes

A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 18

Just Divine

From the moment we got to the bag drop, where the attendant said “You must be the Shipps,” every aspect of the experience was wonderful. The course was pristine. I was surprised at the generous width of the fairways. But as our forecaddie pointed out, you often need to be on the correct side of the fairway to have a clear shot at the green.

It was well worth the cost. Don’t miss the Pete Dye exhibit in the clubhouse.

Arizona Advisor

Great greens

The greens and fairways were in excellent shape. The greens were smooth and putted true. Awesome closing holes. Beware course is almost always cart path only and a forecaddie is required.

One more checked off my bucket list

From the time you turn into the parking lot here it’s like a dream come true. The staff is first class. Donny, the caddiemaster, set our foursome up with Shea as a forecaddie and he did an outstanding job for everyone. The course played as tough as expected(shot a few strokes over my handicap). Coming down on 18 was wonderful. I even parred the 8th(#1 handicap).

Total cost with tax was $301. Worth every penny. If you’re in the area and can get a tee time, play it. You’ll always remember a great time.

Excellent Track!

Great layout! The fairways are tight and the greens are typical for a Dye layout. The staff was excellent!

Had a great experience. It was a very hot and humid day, but there was plenty of water and iced towels to keep us as comfortable as possible. Our forecaddie TJ was awesome. He had a great attitude did a nice job with our foursome.

Great layout

Course was just punched. Not worth the money for the condition. Would love to play it before it was airation.

Bucket list course

Definitely a course to play if you are in the area. You have to use a caddy so make sure you budget for it. Well maintained and beautiful layout.

Great experience

My wife and I played on a Monday morning. The pace was good and our Fore Caddie, TJ, was great. He was very knowledgeable of the approach to the holes and made sure we had fun. He never failed to find our ball, even on some of our more errant shots. He took photos for us along the way. Conditions were excellent. The course has some beautiful and challenging holes. It is pricy, but it was the most memorable experience of our week in Hilto Head. I highly recommend playing here if you are in HH.

What can I say!!!

Been waiting to play this course for years. Watched tourney on tv so many times that this time in Hilton Head we said we definitely we'd play and so we made our tee time. Our fore caddy Paul (every group has one) was great. No lost balls and he helped us read all putts. Greens have subtle breaks so if you play use their knowledge. Course was in great shape. Souls definitely play this again. Much better views then you see on tv.

Harbor Town Golf at it's best

This is a beautiful golf course that is well maintained and fair, but challegening lay-out. Steve, our fourcaddie was super friendly and very helpful. I would recommend this course to anyone who can afford the greens fee!

Paid $199 to play and paired with a first time golfer

I have always wanted to play Harbortown during my many visits to HILTON HEAD. I have play many cheaper courses as a single knowing that it is pot luck as to who I play with. Seldom have had a bad experience. Today was different. Harbortown is a bucket list course with all of its history and PGA tournament. I ask the starter who I am paired with and he points to three guys at the 1st tee. We introduce ourselves and proceed to teeoff. The required fore caddie provides helpful instructions. Then things go terribly bad. The first time player, nice young man, polite, knows nothing about golf swing or cart sharing promptly hacks two balls in the pond. I say to myself, OK everyone has a bad start some days. This goes on for the rest of the round. I am cart partner and have to walk back the retrieve it numerous times because he does not know the away rule. Finally On the 18th tee, he tops three drives and the forecaddie Mike has done very little to remedy the situation all day so why start now. This should have been a special experience regardless of my score but it was not. Management should require proof of USGA handicap and pair accordingly. I would have gladly played later in another group.

Incredible golf course

The layout is amazing and very difficult. There is not much room for error on tee shots or around the greens. The entire course was over seeded when I played so the fairways and greens were lush. The most interesting feature of the course is that because the trees are such an important aspect of the layout, there are lighting rods in the trees to help prevent their destruction.

Stern Test of Golf

The course was excellent with amazing conditioning. It is one of Pete Dye's first designs. It will test every aspect of your game, placing a premium on ball striking, accuracy, and short game. The fairways are narrow, surround by beautiful low-country trees. The greens are small typically surrounded by very strategic bunkering.

Probably the best collection of par 3's I've ever played. One of the arguments I've read is that all the par 3s play about the same distance. Not on the day I played. I hit wedge, 9 iron, 7 iron, and 6 iron into each par 3. Absolutely spectacular.

To me, the only drawback is that the course plays through a condo/housing development with several intersecting roads. The houses really don't come into play, but in my opinion, the layout would feel much more spectacular.

Highly recommend the course to test your game and experience a course with great PGA Tour history.

The new clubhouse is magnificent and some of the best staff I've experienced. If you go here, it is much better to walk as it is flat.

1st PGA Tour Course

This was the 2nd course of a 3 course package at Sea Pines Resort. My " Villa " was directly across the street but I kept to my routine of being there 1 hour before Tee time to check in hit balls putt and quite honestly immerse myself in a place where the men I watch from Thursday to Sunday actually go to work. They morning was clear unlike yesterdays round at Heron Point, I could see the whole place and the field. I checked in and gave my round voucher ( you should get a voucher for each course in your welcome pack ) and then became a kid in a candy store in the pro shop. Using some self control I got the Harbour Town Tartan bag towel a logo ball and a poker chip and a yardage book. My bag was on my cart the starter directed me to the practice range and said my partner Mr. Johnson was over there hitting balls already. The practice range seemed small to me for some reason maybe because it is narrow ? Anyway,, The range balls are in a leather bucket with a leather strap for carrying ( very Cool ) after hitting a few balls Mr. Johnson and I began the typical chit chat the I introduced myself as did he Dustin Johnson he said. It was just about our tee time and we went to the starter where we where introduced to Boyd our Forecaddie , I never had a forecaddie or a caddy this was definitely new. He rattled off the yardage and a beware of this and that and then lets go ! Pine straw left but not a disaster but double on first hole. I'm not going to talk you through the next 17 holes but I was ok until 17 the par 3 and 18 the finishing hole, I splashed 3 balls on those 2 holes finished with a 99. I could have done better and maybe next time I will.
The next day I went back to turn in my Caddie rating card and meander the pro shop again, I bought a windbreaker and it was pouring rain when I was at the register. The gentleman suggested I go upstairs to check out the locker room he showed me the stairs the walls are cover with paintings of everyone of the game,, stepping into the locker area " the angels sang " each locker has all the pro's names on them Boo Weakly Jerry Kelly Jason Dufner, Matt Kucher,, Everybody. I turned the corner to the lounge room the two guys sitting by the window made me feel very welcome the one man had an ear for accents and said directly " youre from Philadelphia,, he's right. If you go here fellow players don't just run out to play golf, live it , breath it, be it, if just for a little while. I did and I'll never forget it.
And,
Dustin Johnson was from Seattle Washington

Harbour Town thriving once again after hurricane

The Hilton Head area was one of the hardest hit during Hurricane Matthew in early October, so I was a little nervous about what I'd see at Sea Pines. But the courses all bounced back wonderfully, including Harbour Town, which reported nearly 500 tree lost. The fallen trees really don't impact the course routing too much with just a handful of exceptions, and the resort is working to have new ones, just fewer than 30 in total, transplanted to those spots this winter. But conditions couldn't have been better, as the overseeded rye grass has grown in nicely.

Aside from an iconic course design by Pete Dye and Jack Nicklaus, what separates Harbour Town from some of the other high-dollar resort courses in the east however is the operation and upgraded amenities. This is one of the pricier rounds in the country but the member-for-a-day experience is really second to none. The locker room is possibly the nicest I've ever seen at a golf course, complete with RBC memorabilia and you can even have lunch there. The staff here, from bag boys to caddies, all do an exceptional job and take an immense amount of pride in working at one of the country's top resort courses. And that pride in resorting the grounds was certainly on display after Matthew unleashed its fury on the island.

Georgia Advisor

Beach golf at it's finest

Wow! I was in Hilton head for the weekend and was only going to play one time so of course play here. Harbor Town is truly spectacular. From the time you get out of the car. With it being the number one course in South Carolina it's kind of a must play. The clubhouse is great and the restraunt is great. The driving, chipping, and putting areas are great. Ounce you hit the course you will start in the woods. By the way did I mention the PGA tour holds a tournament here. 3 is a great hole and can't get enough of 14. The trees here are buetiful and the rough is thick with fast greens. 17 is out on the intercostal the par 3 is into the wind and the front bunker that I was in was rough to get out of. 18 is a great finishing hole on the intercostal with the famous light house in the background. After your round go to the top of the lighthouse where you can see miles to Georgia and North Carolina. If you are staying in Hilton head check out the Salty dog cafe it's where all the tourist go and a great hotel is the holiday inn beach house. I highly reccomend this difficult course to anybody.

Mt Beautiful Harbour Town

I have played this course quite a few times and it never ceases to amaze me how wonderful a place can be. Even after hurricane Mathew, the grounds crew managed to clean up the debris and opened before Thanksgiving. The staff, like usual were awesome. And if you get a chance. Dine at the Links. Richard and his staff are amazing. The food was so good, I ate there three times. Thank you Harbour .Town. Until next time.
Christopher Skedzuhn

Request A Vacation Quote From The Sea Pines Resort
Please provide your information below and a staff member at The Sea Pines Resort will be in contact to help you start planning your travel.

Valid dates: Jan 21, 2020 - Jan 31, 2022
Stay at Solitude Inn on the Green and play one of the best course in SE Michigan, Solitude Links Golf Course. Learn more.