A view from Old Course at The Homestead Resort.

The Homestead Resort - Old Course

Year Built 1892

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in Virginia (2019 #13)

Course is outstanding, minor issues with minor issues.

1st time here but my dad has been on several golf trips w his crew and I've heard all about it. I was psyched! The course was in immaculate shape. I hated to take a divot! It seemed sacrilegious. Greens were soft, held a proper iron shot into them, and all quality putts broke true. It was quick though. Don't leave a downhill putt if you can help it. Bunkers were in perfect shape. They obviously put in effort to maintain this course. Fair layout but punished a wayward drive for sure. The best thing I can say is that every hole was unique. There are a number of courses that have switchback and forth holes that mirror each other and have no character than their one design. At the Olde course every hole is a unique adventure.

Now the critiques. I couldn't find the pro shop without a Sherpa guide. How about a sign on Rte220 that says 'pro shop this way'! It took 15 min, and directions from the hotel staff (hotel is not near pro shop) to get where I needed to be. Then, there was no parking there. I had to use the 'downtown' dirt lot that was almost full, walk from 1/4 mi away to get back to where I left my bag. Then when I left I strapped it all on my back and hoofed it back. That needs to be fixed ASAP. Maybe a golf cart shuttle? I can handle the walk but the elderly golfers I know would have had a problem with that.

I will be back with some golf buddies soon if the VSGA discount offer continues for sure. I wouldn't play anywhere for >$100 though. I may even plan an over night golf trip and hit Cascades and Olde course in succession if the price is right.... now that I know where to park. ;)

Golf Channel
Birmingham Advisor

Old School Feel

This William Flynn track oozes old school vibes. the stately clubhouse, the layout of the holes and the bunkering all speak to a different era. Still, this mountain course and its tradition stands up, as evidenced by its top 30 rankings in the American Public Course lists. The course boasts the "oldest first tee in continuous use" in the country, and is set against the backdrop of the Allegheny Mountains, which influence the outward nine. The rolling elevation changes produce few flat lies, despite the severely cambered fairways funneling balls to collection areas. Here's a tip I discovered quickly: I had heard from others that because this course sits at a great elevation above sea level that I would need to be prepared for shots to fly 10-15 yards more than normal. I did find that my driver thru 8-iron did fly farther. However, 9-iron through wedges did not. I didn't execute this early in the round and it cost me some shots. Waterfalls and the rushing stream of Cascades Gorge dissect the back nine, which plays mostly through a flat in a valley. The bent greens were spectacular. Something about the western Virginia mountain climate agrees with bentgrass because they were soft and smooth. Downhill putts can get away from you. These are old-line greens though, so expect them to be slightly raised with not a lot of contour, just gentle slope. There are few forced carries, making it playable for higher handicappers. I particularly liked the finishing holes: back-to-back par 5s before the par-3 finisher. Finally, tip #2. Arrive early, especially if not staying at the resort. The Cascades course is about 5 minutes from the resort and does not have a driving range - only a putting green. So, if you want to hit balls you'll have to head to the Old Course first.

Sneed would be proud.

As a high handicap I was nervous playing the old course with do much history and blind tee shots. I played the front nine one day and the back the next. Where to start the resort itself is awaome so I had high expectations for the course and to be truthful the course stood up. The first hole is a par 5 long but reachable in two if u place your shot tight I did not. The fairways are narrow and the second cut thick. Never had an issue finding my ball. Most of the shots were blind tee shots. Greens were receptive but rolled true to the line I picked. On the back most of the greens were a good drive and a pitch away from a bird. I can not wait to come back.

October Leaf Beauty

This course is beautiful! Played in prime leaf viewing season. Good news, the views on the course were spectacular. The not good news is that with all the downed leaves, it was sometime impossible to find balls in the fairway. A number of folks lost balls in the fairway. This is less a criticism of the grounds staff and more a fact with the heavy leaf fall, it was virtually impossible to keep the fairways clear. Loved the six holes each of par 3s, 4s, and 5s. Golf staff were very friendly and helpful.
I would suggest they add a shuttle back and forth to the driving range for a large event like ours was. A number of our more senior golfers did not appreciate the hike to and from the range.

Historical & Beautiful

It's a rare treat to tee off of the oldest continuous use tee box in America. That is how you begin your round on the first hole. The course is lush, green, and well-maintained. The layout is unique with expected elevation changes. Be certain to study the layout because their is trouble in areas you can't see. The green speeds were inconsistent but in superb shape. I'm pretty sure I heard Sam Snead's ghost tell me I sucked.

Covington, Virginia