Oyster Reef Golf Course

Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover Welcomed

Green (W) 72 5288 yards 71.1 120

Oyster Reef features elevated tees and lush fairways lined by thick stands of live oak and pine. Numerous doglegs accented by strategically located mounds and fairway bunkers, call for well-planned tee shots. Varying sizes of greens with well-defined tiers place a premium on precise approach shots.

The par-3 sixth hole, which plays 192 yards from the back tees to a green set against a backdrop of Port Royal Sound, is one of the most visually spectacular holes on Hilton Head. Oyster Reef is now a semi-private member-owned club with a limited number of tee times for guest play,

The carefully-maintained facility, designed by noted course architect Rees Jones, continues to be a favorite destination for serious golfers as well as a favorite with locals.

Location is convenient to the city near the airport at a resort   Great for advanced golfers wildlife/ scenic views playing multiple courses   Challenges include bunkers water hazards narrow fairways   Great for drinks

"What Could’ve Been..."

DariusHill18's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/11/2018

Certainly could have been a great round. Although, quite possibly some of the worst course conditions and etiquette I’ve played on in some time. I think that there could have been some sort of communication stating that the golf course had began undergoing renovations. The fairways were in decent shape, as were the greens minus a few patches here and there. But overall, very disappointed in having to hit over bulldozers and excavators to play shots.

"Great experience"

cbuffwaters's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/09/2018

Overall... this was an excellent place to play. Booked online and had never seen the place before. Staff was very friendly and told us that their course renovations had alr day begun, and what to do if it interfered with play. Can’t wait until the renovations are done so we can go back. Awesome restaurant (had lunch and happy hour) and wonderful course.

Commented on 06/11/2018

Thank you for the kind review. We are glad that you enjoyed your round here at Oyster Reef.

"Not worth the hype"

Wayne8740897's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/08/2018

To be honest I had high expectations for this golf outing. We have tried to play this course for 3 years now. I understand that this course is part of the Heritage Collection (??), and There was a time when you had a premium to play Oyster Reef (like an extra $10 compared to the others in the collection), so I thought “boy this must really be a great course.” I couldn’t have more wrong, or perhaps I couldn’t have been more misled. Definitely not worth the money, there are many courses on the island that are a much better bang for the buck. I won’t be going back any time soon, if ever. If Oyster Reef thinks they are worth any “premium “ they are delusional.

Commented on 06/11/2018

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry that we did not meet your expectations.

We would love to have you back when we finish our course renovations over the summer.

"Nice layout, nice people but under construction"

spmccarl's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/06/2018

We were paired with two very nice people. That doesn’t always happen so we were grateful that it did this time. The course has a nice challenging layout. The greens were quick but had some patches on them that were ground under repair. The must frustrating part was the sand traps that were under construction. Not only were they an eyesore, they impacted play. When workers were in them they didn’t stop and you had to avoid them and the machineary. It would have been nice to know this prior to the reservation. We would have went elsewhere. The people there are very nice. It is nice to see they were making improvements. But, please communicate somehow that as a potential customer this is what we are going to face if we golf there.

Commented on 06/10/2018

We do apologize for the miscommunication. The renovation project got started earlier than anticipated. Please come back and see us when we open September 5, the course is going to be fantastic.

"Major bunker renovations are commencing"

xtrasm00th's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/01/2018
First time playing Used cart Hot weather

I played this course the last week in May. I liked the course despite my having issues holing putts. Greens were good, quite grainy, but soft and receptive to good shots. It has a good layout. The signature hole is a kinda short par3 on the front side that plays out towards the water giving a great view of a bay feeding into the Atlantic Ocean. The reason I don't recommend playing this place is the major bunker renovation taking place. As of last week there were just a small number of bunkers undergoing this work. But they are expanding this major project pretty quickly & alot of the other bunkers on this course don't have too much sand in them. So, this works out pretty good if you're in a fairway bunker, because you have a good chance to get a club on the ball and hit a good shot. But when you get around the greens this becomes a different issue. It is easy to get out of these bunkers, but without enough sand its hard to judge how hard to swing & the club will bounce off the dirt. So, while I enjoyed playing here & after the renovation will go back, its best to find another place to play, because in a few weeks this place will resemble a war zone.

Commented on 06/10/2018

Thank you for the review. Your thoughts are very important to us.

Regarding our renovation project, we will be closing the course June 12 to finish our bunker project and will re-open September 5. Please come see the new course it is going to be great.

"Excellent layout"

mhannon06's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/01/2018

Always one of our favorite courses to play on the island. The course is always in a good shape and they are about to close down for the summer to resurface the greens and are already in the process of rebuilding the bunkers. I have been playing this course since the early 80s and it never disappoints!

"Good value"

Jgill65's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/30/2018

Overall really good course. Good layout and good greens. Played with a guy I would call “ the human rain delay” so pace of play was just ok, but I would recommend this course for any level of player

Commented on 06/10/2018

Thank you for the recommendation. We hope to see you again.

"Great course for price"

Devin1080's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/29/2018

One of the best courses in the area. Would highly recommend it only if a hot deal is available. Definitely one of the best conditioned courses in the area.

Commented on 06/10/2018

Your review is very kind. We would love to have see you again.

Commented on 06/10/2018

Thank you for the great review. We look forward to seeing you again.

"Fantastic Opportunity in Hilton Head"

ifiknew's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/25/2018

Great course. Great greens. Friendly staff. Course in great shape.

Commented on 05/27/2018

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your time here at Oyster Reef.

Please come see us again soon.

"good"

Keetonhuff's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/24/2018

Enjoyed the course, we used golfnow to book a 2-some, the ranger put us with another two some we didn't know, who had a tee time 12 mins after us. By the 4th hole they were already telling us we were behind on our time. We had 2 holes open behind us but were still being rushed. By the turn the ranger there told us we were well behind. I explained to him that there were no groups even close to us and he put us with the other two-some who had the tee time behind us. He said "it doesn't matter whats behind you we always look at whats in front of you" ? lol. all in all they put us with 2 guys we didn't know who were having a tough day and expected us to rush around the course, the two of us payed a total of 200$ to play while the other two paid 40$ because they stayed on the course. kinda bummed, but it is what it is.

"Great round"

uAYNZ2473EN's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/24/2018

Wife and I have played this course annually while on vacation or the past five years. Course has been in great shape each round. Staff are wonderful and plan to play again next week. Keep up the good work

"Beautiful course"

fishyracer24's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/22/2018

It is a beautiful course with a nice layout, but was disappointed that it only had one ocean view

"Refreshing!"

somvil's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/18/2018

This course is different, and that's a good thing. There's so many golf courses down here that sometimes it seems like it's saturated with mediocrity. Most are "fine". Several are terrible, and several are elite. This is not an elite course, but it's better than "fine" and that's refreshing - therefore I'll be back.

There was clearly a group of golfers with an ettiquete or entitlement issue on the course earlier in the day, because I repaired other people's ball marks all afternoon which infuriates me, but you can't blame that on the course itself. The greens rolled true, the fairways were nice and full with a clear-cut rough line.

It was cart-path only due to moisture so it was more walking than I'm used to. I played from the tips and the course gave me a workout for a hard-earned 79. The only issue I have is the sand traps. My goodness! Alright look - sand makes a course challenging. I get it, and this course has an absurd amount of them. However, if you're gonna have that many bunkers, it's my opinion that you should devote the resources to keeping them filled with quality sand and devote staff to keeping them raked. It's a penalty to the golfer's bad judgement or ability to find his ball in a bunker, and that's fine, that's golf. It's an unfair penalty to be in a bunker full of hard packed junk, which is what these were. Yes it rained earlier in the day, but that's not an excuse to me. No rule of golf requires a course to have this many bunkers, so it's the course's decision to design it this way. If you're gonna do that, commit to it and send a crew out to fluff them up when the storm passes... Period. It's the only stain on what could be one of the best public courses on the island.

The staff was fantastic, to be honest. I play by myself typically - which usually earns me cold, if not abrasive, treatment at nicer courses for (whatever reason). Not here, which was genuinely appreciated. The starter very politely asked me if I could wait 20 minutes to tee off with another group so he could keep the course moving at a good pace. He worked me in with a twosome and offered range balls while I waited. Pace was reasonable overall but even if it wasn't - it'd be hard to blame it on the course management due to the diligence they clearly have for monitoring it. Well done.

That's all I got! Had a good time, staff was wonderful, course is in great shape, just steer clear of the bunkers.

Commented on 05/21/2018

Thank you for the review.

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your day here at Oyster Reef.

Regarding our bunkers, you might be happy to know that this summer we are going to take the time and renovate our bunker complexes.

We hope to see you again.

"A gem on the Island"

scolars's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/13/2018
Previously played Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

The regular prices are high but we lucked out on a Golf Now booking. The weather predicted rain, which did not materialize, so it seemed to keep the regulars away. the Pro shop got us on early and we had a very nice, relaxed round. Again , play the tees the right for you to enjoy the round and for me gives a chance to break 80.

"Always fun to play"

pdgolfnut's avatar
Plays:  Once a year

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/09/2018

After a three year hiatus from golf due to medical issues. (Back issues) can anyone relate to that? I played my first round after hitting balls for a couple of weeks prior to the round, it was great! I went to golf now, got a hot deal for what I thought was a good price, less than half off prime time rate, and off I went. Everyone was very welcoming at the clubhouse, gave me free range balls for a proper warm up, paired me up with a nice fellow from Wisconsin and we went to the first tee. My anticipation of this was very high and I just knew I was going to crack a 5 yard draw right down the middle of the fairway! Ok maybe my pushed slice out of bounds was ugly but it didn't matter, my back wasn't hurting and I was golfing again.

I could not have picked a better place for my comeback round. The course was in great condition. Greens were as good as Bermuda greens can get. If there was any complaint at all it would have been pace of play. But it wasn't that slow and besides I was happy to be there and this is resort golf. It's going to be a little slower than your home course.

Overall this was a great deal, thanks to golf now for getting me a good price. I will certainly use golf now again.

Commented on 05/14/2018

Thank you for the kind words . We really enjoyed having you and we are glad your back issues caused no problems on your first round back. Please come see us again soon.

"Not very good"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/08/2018

If you can play this course for less than $50 then go for it. Anything more and it's nothing more than your local goat ranch.

"One of your better options on HHI"

daa2202's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/25/2018

Our second time playing Oyster Reef, and we liked it again this time. Reasonably challenging layout with many bunkers but plenty of room to play, as well. Greens are good - medium speed and held shots. The only negative from a conditioning standpoint is that the forward tees (and the range hitting area) were both in bad shape. The middle and back tees were OK, however. Look for a Hot Deal and you won't do much better on HHI. PS - clubhouse is nice and food is excellent, too.

Commented on 04/30/2018

Thank you for your comments, and we are glad to hear that you enjoyed the course.

"Dog Legs and Bunkers"

nicklin1905's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/20/2018
Previously played Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

Tightly bunkered , so you better bring your bunker skills, then you have to have your putting skills as the greens are very quick, course in great condition from tee to green.

Commented on 04/22/2018

Thank you for the kind words.

We would love to see you again soon.

"Pretty good course"

Jsquires55's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/16/2018

Lots of bunkers, maybe too many for average golfer but good holes, tight fairways. Conditioning decent. Main complaint is a fivesome that was put out in front of us making for a slow round - over 5 hrs

Commented on 04/19/2018

Thank you for the recommendation.

We do apologize for your slow round. Please come back again soon.

"Boring course with too much sand"

Charliejaggy's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/12/2018

Good greens , friendly staff .

Expensive club house , 4 dollars for a can of coke !!!

Pretty unmemorable course .

Bunkers everywhere , when there really is no need .