Planter's Row at Port Royal Golf Club

Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex Welcomed

Blue (W) 72 6284 yards 76.7 142
Green (W) 72 5119 yards 69.9 123

"great day of golf at Port Royal Hilton Head SC"

uESRK2285ES's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/31/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

We at a 12:52 pm tee...we got to the course at 12pm.

The golf professional sent us on out to the starter..and we hit the course early...weather was overcast...so we were glad to get earlier start.

Course play was good and we played in about 3 1/2 hrs.

the greens were in good shape, fairways were good considering they have had little rain and are under water restrictions.

over all great golf course...encourage you to play while at Hilton Head.

"Tight fairways"

sun57a1's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/11/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

We had a great time, fast greens and fun was had by all.

"Sorry...but never again!"

Shoop9er's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/27/2016
Previously played Used cart Excellent weather

We have played the course 2 to 3 previous times over the 15 years we've been traveling down to HHI.

To start out we had a 7:18 tee time. They informed us that the range would be open by 6:30. They would not let us on the range because they were move the hitting areas. Thankfully the starter came over to tell them to let us hit... unfortunately this was 10 minutes before we tee'd off!

The tee boxes and greens were the worst. This is not a joke. I have seen more grass in a cow pasture than that on the tee boxes. You literally could dig in like a batter’s box for baseball!!! The par 3 17th hole pretty much summed up the entire experience of the course that day. The green was a wreck. They just planted new grass that was the length of the first cut off the fairway. Either make a temporary green or move the pin to the back of the hole not right next to the repaired portion of the green. (Also it would have been courteous of them to alert our group of this issue.)

So disappointing that a course would be in this type of shape for $68. Plus...how can you charge $38 for cart fees!?!?!?

Sorry but I would not play this course at Port Royal. Not sure how Robbers Row or Barony we looking, hopefully not like this

"Planter"

Kenny383's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/27/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

Nice course, but they need more yardage markers.

"Expensive for bad greens and tees plus very slow"

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/15/2016

Played a couple courses while on vacation in HHI. Felt compelled to write a review because this was such a poor experience. $70 for the round (golf now price w/ cart) and half the tee boxes hadn't been mowed, grass touched my teed up ball on some. Most of the greens were in terrible condition - bare patches and / or sand on each one. Finally, play was extremely slow. Look, I'm a 20 handicap - but a 5 hour round is slow even by my standards.

Overall the course layout was fun and challenging - but the slow play and muni-style tee boxes and greens for a $70 round was aggravating.

I'm sure the course will continue to get play just because it's on HHI and will have available tee times but be warned, you'll probably be disappointed.

"Planters Row poor value"

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/08/2016

We have played Port Royal courses for many years. The greens were the worst they have ever been. Course was not crowded but round still took over 4 1/2 hours. Would not go back

"Plantars Row"

bkdalrymple's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/21/2016

Staff very friendly, pro shop busy, starter great. Enjoyable time. Greens were aerated but course was challenging enough. The greens were by far better than many other courses I have played with aerated greens. Fairways were well kept. Wildlife abundant. Saw gators on fairway, turkeys and deer in the under brush. Great relaxing round, just what I needed.

"The course has a lot of different holes. Nice layout."

frankdur13's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/12/2016

Nice layout but greens could be a little faster.

"Holiday golf in SC"

Bill3294914's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/02/2016

The course was in OK shape but both fairways and especially the tees in poorest condition. The greens were good and putted a lot better than they looked. The greens are very small and the fairways are tight with overhanging branches from a huge number of trees. Staff were very friendly and amenities at the clubhouse excellent. The on course toilets were in very poor condition and needed a lot of TLC not to mention cleaning. If going take your own hand sanitizer to use in the restrooms. All in all the course was very playable and I enjoyed the experience - with dome reservations

"Course fine trees need trimming"

kneesaa's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/26/2016

I thought the course was in fine condition, the greens rolled nice, but off the blue tees the trees overhanging the driving area on pretty much every hole really needs to be addressed even the par threes, I've never played a course that needed tree trimming on every hole. The pace of play was pretty bad no rangers, then our cart died we had to let people play through after three calls someone finally showed up, it is a nice old layout it's too bad they've let the trees get away from them

"First time at Hilton Head"

frank2371001's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/18/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Fair weather Verified Purchaser

It was close to our hotel (Westin). Easy booking and not too crowded. Course layout is very straight forward. The course is quite old, judging by the cart path are deteriorated badly. For the money and close to the hotel. That were the pluses..

"Well done."

Banixx11's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/12/2016

The course had a good deaign. Fairways were in great condition. Greens were in good condition but a little slow. Sand in traps were very powdery and allowed you to hit ball the proper way. The only bad thought I had was the tee areas were pretty beaten up. All in all a very nice place to play. I would gladly play there again.

"Perfect golfing"

Craig3058477's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/03/2016

Planter's Row was great. Friendly staff. Fast bag drop pick up and pro shop service. It seemed like we had the course to ourselves. Tons of nature with many birds, red tails hawks, and a gator. Nice layout within what seemed like a nature reserve except for a couple of holes near the busy 278 road. Many tees to choose from. My wife play well from the fronts and "enjoyed" her yardages. Only a few wet areas with nice variety of either water, bunker, or tight fairways. Sprinkler markings were nice but GPS on the electric cards would have been nicer. Would like to play it again and not drive into the woods so much for a better score.

"Very Nice Course"

u00jrp8's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/29/2016

We were staying at the Marriott Barony Beach resort and the the course was in walking distance so made it very convenient. I thought the staff was very professional and friendly and as a single, I was paired with a wonderful local gentleman who was great to golf with and we had a great time. The course was in great shape and it was challenging yet fun to play. I would play it again.

"Awesome shotmakers course!"

joeandrews's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/28/2015

Great design and you need to bring your A game. Every shot needs a thought, I really enjoyed the challenge and the course won this time but I will beBack!<br/> Good fairways to small challenging greens. Rough can be tough and stay out of the trees.<br/> Wonderful golf course!<br/> #16 is one of best holes ever, though it is not that long it is a beautiful challenge.

"Great Day of golf"

ru1255's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/11/2015

Earlier in the week we had 2 days of rain. We play a course off the island and it was very wet and sloppy. So we decided to pay a little more and try a course on the island. It was so much better. It was cart path golf, but the fairways were so much dryer. The course was in really good shape considing all the rain they have had over the last month. We were really pleased and we finished under 4 hours. After we got back to the club house We saw the were having a special for Veterans Day. Being all my friends are Vet's we joined in donated and had plenty to eat. As we were sitting their a group of people came over and thank us for our service. The also told us that all four of their golf course were offering a $29 dollar special for veterans all week just call the pro shop. We thank them and we went over and book two more course for that week. It really was a wonderful surprise and very much appreciated. Thank you so much for your support and recognition.

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"Resort Golf - Planters Row"

John1652302's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/04/2015
Previously played Played as a single Used cart Played 18 holes Average weather Verified Purchaser

Driving is a good test as trees line pretty much every shot. Tee boxes are a bit rough and currently being over seeded. I know because I had to wait on a couple tee boxes for them to finish seeding before I could tee off. So for the $59 I paid for the Hot Deal it was good and finishing in under 3 hours was nice. Could have been finished sooner had I not run into one threesome taking pictures instead of playing golf

"Played better for less"

acrampton's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/17/2015
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

Tee boxes were well below average. Some of the greens were damaged. Not really worth $100/per round