The oldest course at Palmetto Dunes and is a long-time favorite on the island. This facility features an extensive lagoon system which winds through the course impacting play on eleven holes. Add some of Jones' seemingly patented bunkers and large, well-bunkered greens and you've got plenty of good golf ahead of you here.

This Palmetto Dunes Resort course is well-known for its many views of the ocean. The finest is found at the 10th hole, a par-5 on the card of 540 yards. Its green is set out by the ocean, and it takes three good shots to reach it when the wind is blowing in your face

Year Built 1970

Bar, Grill

Playing Multiple Courses 8

Scenic course-play off hours because it is $$$$

This is my rotation of courses to play on HHI. It has some great shot making holes including a 180 par three all carry over water with a skinny green . A signature hole that takes you out to the ocean and a finishing hole that is a lot of fun.

Fairways for the most part are very generous and so are the greens

Try to play after 11 or in the afternoon as the morning rate is expensive but you must give this track a chance

Great Couse

All around, a great course with excellent conditions and layout... beautiful views.

Georgia Advisor

Fun Course in Excellent Condition

I have played this course several times. Each time I play the course, I always leave having a great experience and love the course and the great conditions. Staff was great from the moment we arrived. Friendly staff taking our bags an loading them on carts. Starter was very helpful, and friendly explaining everything about course and the GPS on the carts.

Practice range is not great at all. You have to hit of mats at the range and cannot hit from the grass. No short game practice area other than a putting green. I would expect a higher end course like this would have a grass area to hit range balls.

Due to COVID-19, the course has plenty of coolers and ice to put on the carts, but to get a cooler with ice you have to request one. They no longer automatically put a cooler, ice as well as towels on each cart. Whey you pay over $100 per round you would expect to at least have a cooler with ice, especially when the temperature was 95 degrees with high humidity. Thank goodness the beverage cart person was great and we saw the beverage cart five times during the round.

The course, as always, was in very good condition. Typically of Robert Trent Jones courses, there are lots of large, deep bunkers. The greens are very large and it is easy to three putt if you are not near the hole. The greens have lots of humps, slopes and undulations.

The course is always very well taken care of. The best and also the signature hole is hole #10 where you have a excellent view of the ocean while on the green. The course provides a variety of fun and challenges. All in all, it is a great course and lots of fun.

Poor Customer Service

Coming from Cincinnati for our annual guys golf trip (4 years running), we played 6 courses in 6 days.  Cupp course on Plantation Hall, RTJ, Arthur Hills, Hilton Head National, CC of Hilton Head and Oyster Reef.
Our experience at RTJ was the worst of the week.  I don't mind paying a lot of money to play a good golf course and the course was in good shape, but with an expensive round, I expect great customer service like we received at the other courses.  Our round started with the cart guy sitting in a cart on his cell phone not willing to get up and help us when we pulled around until an older gentleman working told him to get up.   We then asked for a second cart if possible because myself and the guy with me weren't playing together.  He said ok but then just put the clubs on the same cart.  Not that big of a deal.  We go in the pro shop to pay to find out we have to pay extra for range balls.  I think its ridiculous that you guys charge for range balls.  We didn't have to pay for them at any of the other courses.  Near $150 round and you're charging range balls off turf, not even grass?  We go get breakfast in the bar and we are greeted by a women who loudly asks us "what do you want?"  It was rude and poor service.  We go out to play our round and with near 100 degree temps, we find the entire round (minus the snack house-which is cash only) to not have any drinking water on the course.  How are there no Igloo coolers full of water in a place where its so hot.  Every other course in the country has them...It was almost pass out hot.  We saw the cart girl 1 time in 18 holes.  We saw 1 drinking fountain that didn't work.  We got back at the end of our round frustrated only to have one of our guys complain and he received more poor customer service in the attitude he received in the pro shop.  The cart boys at the end told us there should've been water in our coolers for us.  There wasn't.  We should've had towels in our cart, there wasn't.

My favorite course on HHI

It was a crazy hot day and RTJ @ PD didn’t leave you to swelter. They provided free bottled water and a cooler full of ice, and recommended placing on of their towels in the ice then putting around your neck, definitely helped! Course was in excellent shape. My only complaint was the hardness of the greens. They were fast and it was difficult to get your ball to stick. The layout is excellent and each hole was unique.

Plays Once a year

Great Expirience

First class from start to finish. Staff was great from the moment we arrived. Friendly staff taking our bags an loading them on carts. Starter explaining everything about course and carts. The course was meticulously taken care of. Everything was well trimmed from sand traps to greens. Beautiful views and best golf experience ever. Worth every penny. Highly recommend.

Very Warm Day at Robert Trent Jones

This golf course provides a variety of challenges. There are multiple bunkers on every hole and water on most of the back nine. I enjoyed the back nine a lot more than the front. The course was in great shape. The range was very nice as well. I would most likely play it again if I had the chance. Is it worth $79? Probably not. But it’s still a great course to play if you’re at Hilton Head. My only advice would be to play in the morning or late afternoon if you go in the summer. It was very hot on us and we played in the afternoon.

Visited Hilton Head on a guys weekend and played Robert Trent Jones. Out of the 3 courses at Palmetto Dunes, Robert Trent seemed to be a little easier with some wide fairways and bigger greens. #10 has a great view of the ocean! The greens rolled true all weekend on all the courses. Definitely plan on coming back in the future!!

Beautiful Course

Beautiful golf course that was in great shape. Greens rolled smoothly and tough to find a bad lie in the fairway. Very scenic course with #10 being the signature hole finishing right by the ocean. Had some open fairways if you sprayed the driver a little, while still having great character throughout every hole. Great staff as well as a delicious restaurant attached to the clubhouse. Would definitely come back to play again.

No sweatpants allowed

You can’t wear sweats at the golf range even though this is not mentioned in the course dress code. If you do show up in sweat pants you will be told this is not “proper golf attire” and kicked off the premises.

Disgusted by the Lack of Respect Shown to Golfers

The grounds crew followed us from hole #9 through #18 continuously working on the bunkers while we played. They ran their equipment and bounced from bunker to bunker while we were hitting. I've never seen that lack of respect for golfers from a grounds crew ever.

Commented on 07/27/2018

Hello u000006234332,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and concerns about your recent golfing experience at Robert Trent Jones. We strive to provide a memorable experience for all guests and apologize that your expectations were not met. While our golf course maintenance teams are working diligently to improve and maintain our course, they should also be doing so within the etiquette and courtesy of our guests.

I'd like to connect with you directly to discuss your experience further to ensure your concerns are addressed. I may be reached at (843) 785-1131 or you can email your contact information to csinclair@palmettodunes.com and I will reach out as soon as possible. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future to provide you a rejuvenating round at one of our three courses.

Disgusted by the Lack of Respect Shown to Golfers

This course is beautiful and in decent shape even with the 4 inches of rain that fell in the 1-2 days prior to us playing. I was disgusted by the fact that the grounds crew showed no etiquette towards our group. I understand they had to work on the bunkers because of standing water. However, they followed us from hole #9 thru #18 by continuously working and running their equipment while we played. I've never been so disgusted while playing golf. Go to Harbour Town, they treat you and the game with respect.

Commented on 07/27/2018

Hello u000006234332,

Bad Shape

Careful, course is in really poor shape. Not particularly the greens, but everything else is terrible and appears to be being ignored. Weeds everywhere, tees that are all weeds, fairways are mostly bad, crabgrass everywhere.

Worst conditioned course I’ve played in years.

Hello u370203921,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and concerns about your recent golfing experience at Robert Trent Jones. We strive to provide a memorable experience for all guests and apologize that your expectations were not met. Our golf course maintenance teams are working diligently to improve and maintain our courses after a poor spring/summer transition.

Extremely Disappointed

Worst conditioned course I’ve play in years.
Rather shocking, appear they are not spending any money on course upkeep.
This is my first review ever, triggered by over paying for really poor course conditions.

Hello u370203921,

I'd like to connect with you directly to discuss your experience and address your concerns. I may be reached at (843) 785-1131 or csinclair@palmettodunes.com. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future to provide you a rejuvenating round at one of our three courses.
Clark Sinclair, Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort - Director of Golf

Needs a lot of maintenance

Could not believe a Hilton Head course could be in such poor condition. Fairways were full of crabgrass and in many places no grass. Greens had been aerated weeks before but were still not playable. Tee boxes were worse than you would find on a muni course. (Sorry about that, I should be more respectful to the many fine muni courses out there.) What a shame for such a good RT Jones course to have fallen to this level. Play the Arthur Hill course instead. Much better condition.

Hello Kilmerlake106,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and concerns about your recent golfing experience at Robert Trent Jones. We apologize that your expectations were not met during your recent round, as we strive to provide a memorable experience for all of our guests. Our golf course maintenance teams are working diligently to improve and maintain our courses after a poor spring/summer transition.

Please allow me the opportunity to connect with you directly to discuss your experience further. I may be reached at (843) 785-1131 or csinclair@palmettodunes.com. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future to provide you a rejuvenating round at one of our three courses.

Dissapponted

This was my first trip to Hilton Head. This course was located directly behind our condo and I had heard good things. I walked on to the course late this morning and was greeted by a very friendly and helpful staff. I was paired up with 3 others, all different generations in the same family and they were happy to have me. They had played the course many times before and were more dissapponted than I was as they had had seen the course in much better shape. In all fairness I was told in the pro shop that the course had been aerated a couple of weeks prior but the course was looking good. With that being said they also were offering a modest discount to anyone playing the course.
Now the bad, To start, the T boxes were horrible. There was more dirt than grass. The same could almost be said of the fairways. The grass around the greens was the only thing that I could tell was left of this courses’ previous stature. The greens were rough, but again they were recently aerated. There were a lot of odd hops and bobbles that I found invisible when surveying the green between my ball and the holes.
The pace of play was abysmal. According to the ranger we spoke with they had let a couple of fivesomes out a few groups ahead of us who were on the island for a wedding. They were playing a scramble and were taking a long time looking for balls and what not. The ranger did break it up but the twosome between our group and the scramblers were so frustrated they decided to stop play at about the 6th hole and call it a day. By the time we reached the 14th hole two of the guys in my group decided to leave the game as well leaving me to finish with their father/ grandfather to finish the round.
To top it all off the cart I was riding in had recently come from the Fazio course in Palmetto Dunes. Not only was the GPS unit in the cart still set for the other course but the scorecard in the cart was also for the Fazio course. If it wasn’t for the group I was with and my GPS watch I would have been more clueless than I already was.
There are a lot of courses to play here on Hilton Head. The guys in my group were telling me about the other courses that they know are in much better shape and offer cheaper rates. The next time I return to this island I will not plan on a replay of the Robert Trent Jones course.

Georgia Advisor

Fun Course - Terrible, unfriendly staff

When we got to the first tee, the starter was not happy or friendly at all. The cooler on the cart had not ice at all, just warm water. I took the cooler off the cart and went to get it filled with ice. The started said in an annoyed voice "you have to go off right now. You can't go get ice." I just turned around and gave him a stare and walked away to get ice. I just paid $125.00 to play the course and I was not going to play without any ice to have a cold drink on a hot and humid afternoon. I went and got ice and when I came back the started gave me a dirty look and said that we had to go right now.

At the range, you were only permitted to hit off mats. Not what I expected from an up-scale resort course.

The course is in great condition and the greens are fantastic. There are lots of elevated greens which adds to the challenge of the Robert Trent design. The greens had very few un-repaired ball marks so the greens were quick and rolled true and smooth. The layout of the course is fun and challenging. The best hole is the par 4 #11 where the green is right by the ocean and has a spectacular view of the Atlantic ocean.

Tees and fairways were in excellent excellent condition. There is lots of water and bunkers.

At the end of the round, the cart attendants were VERY rude and only cared about getting the cart back so they could clean. They were trying to rush us to get everything out of the cart so they could clean. They make you get everything out of the cart and pack ALL your personal belonings out to your car and do not help or assist at all. At the end of the round I was tired and not in the mood to be told what to do and to get all of my stuff out of the cart and carry EVERYTHING out to mar car (over 200 yards away). The beginning anbd the end of the round made the entire day not to enjoyable The course was great but the staff was awful.

An absolute gem!

From my perspective, this course is an absolute pleasure to play. Aesthetically, it is very pleasing on the eye and if your accuracy is a little off, the layout makes for a much easier day than say the Arthur Hills course next door. I very much appreciated the wider fairways when stood with jangly knees on the, the Hills course having beaten the snot out of me the previous day.

I can definitely see how some of the other courses close by might be more to some golfers' preference. The RTJ course uses other means by which to challenge you - plentiful bunkers for example, several of which I frequented and all of which were in almost perfect condition. The giant greens can also be a challenge if you are a little wayward with your approach shots.

The staff at this course were impeccable from the moment we arrived. A very efficient greeter takes your clubs from the car, the starter is very efficient and the ranger makes a special point of thanking you for your business towards the end of the round.

very disappointed

My wife and I were very disappointed with the golf course conditions and the terrible conditions of both the men and ladies washrooms in the clubhouse. The whole facility looked tired and worn out. The couple we played with had the same opinion of the poor golf course conditions. Not sure how they got rated #2 on this island. Do not waste you hard earned money.

The Choice on the Island

Wonderful course on the Island. Well laid out with some outstanding views to enjoy. Greens were in excellent shape.

Course was very busy but the pace was very good.

Public/Resort