Robert Trent Jones Golf Course at Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort

GPS: Yes

Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex Welcomed

Green (W) 72 5621 yards 72.0 123
Black 72 2625 yards N/A N/A

The oldest course at Palmetto Dunes and is a long-time favorite on the island. This facility features an extensive lagoon system which winds through the course impacting play on eleven holes. Add some of Jones' seemingly patented bunkers and large, well-bunkered greens and you've got plenty of good golf ahead of you here.

This Palmetto Dunes Resort course is well-known for its many views of the ocean. The finest is found at the 10th hole, a par-5 on the card of 540 yards. Its green is set out by the ocean, and it takes three good shots to reach it when the wind is blowing in your face

Location is at a resort   Great for wildlife/ scenic views advanced golfers playing multiple courses   Challenges include bunkers water hazards forced carries   Great for drinks

"Dissapponted"

Miura6299's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/20/2018

This was my first trip to Hilton Head. This course was located directly behind our condo and I had heard good things. I walked on to the course late this morning and was greeted by a very friendly and helpful staff. I was paired up with 3 others, all different generations in the same family and they were happy to have me. They had played the course many times before and were more dissapponted than I was as they had had seen the course in much better shape. In all fairness I was told in the pro shop that the course had been aerated a couple of weeks prior but the course was looking good. With that being said they also were offering a modest discount to anyone playing the course.

Now the bad, To start, the T boxes were horrible. There was more dirt than grass. The same could almost be said of the fairways. The grass around the greens was the only thing that I could tell was left of this courses’ previous stature. The greens were rough, but again they were recently aerated. There were a lot of odd hops and bobbles that I found invisible when surveying the green between my ball and the holes.

The pace of play was abysmal. According to the ranger we spoke with they had let a couple of fivesomes out a few groups ahead of us who were on the island for a wedding. They were playing a scramble and were taking a long time looking for balls and what not. The ranger did break it up but the twosome between our group and the scramblers were so frustrated they decided to stop play at about the 6th hole and call it a day. By the time we reached the 14th hole two of the guys in my group decided to leave the game as well leaving me to finish with their father/ grandfather to finish the round.

To top it all off the cart I was riding in had recently come from the Fazio course in Palmetto Dunes. Not only was the GPS unit in the cart still set for the other course but the scorecard in the cart was also for the Fazio course. If it wasn’t for the group I was with and my GPS watch I would have been more clueless than I already was.

There are a lot of courses to play here on Hilton Head. The guys in my group were telling me about the other courses that they know are in much better shape and offer cheaper rates. The next time I return to this island I will not plan on a replay of the Robert Trent Jones course.

"Fun Course - Terrible, unfriendly staff"

RettJ's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/19/2018
Previously played Used cart Hot weather

When we got to the first tee, the starter was not happy or friendly at all. The cooler on the cart had not ice at all, just warm water. I took the cooler off the cart and went to get it filled with ice. The started said in an annoyed voice "you have to go off right now. You can't go get ice." I just turned around and gave him a stare and walked away to get ice. I just paid $125.00 to play the course and I was not going to play without any ice to have a cold drink on a hot and humid afternoon. I went and got ice and when I came back the started gave me a dirty look and said that we had to go right now.

At the range, you were only permitted to hit off mats. Not what I expected from an up-scale resort course.

The course is in great condition and the greens are fantastic. There are lots of elevated greens which adds to the challenge of the Robert Trent design. The greens had very few un-repaired ball marks so the greens were quick and rolled true and smooth. The layout of the course is fun and challenging. The best hole is the par 4 #11 where the green is right by the ocean and has a spectacular view of the Atlantic ocean.

Tees and fairways were in excellent excellent condition. There is lots of water and bunkers.

At the end of the round, the cart attendants were VERY rude and only cared about getting the cart back so they could clean. They were trying to rush us to get everything out of the cart so they could clean. They make you get everything out of the cart and pack ALL your personal belonings out to your car and do not help or assist at all. At the end of the round I was tired and not in the mood to be told what to do and to get all of my stuff out of the cart and carry EVERYTHING out to mar car (over 200 yards away). The beginning anbd the end of the round made the entire day not to enjoyable The course was great but the staff was awful.

"An absolute gem!"

wildrover101's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/08/2018

From my perspective, this course is an absolute pleasure to play. Aesthetically, it is very pleasing on the eye and if your accuracy is a little off, the layout makes for a much easier day than say the Arthur Hills course next door. I very much appreciated the wider fairways when stood with jangly knees on the, the Hills course having beaten the snot out of me the previous day.

I can definitely see how some of the other courses close by might be more to some golfers' preference. The RTJ course uses other means by which to challenge you - plentiful bunkers for example, several of which I frequented and all of which were in almost perfect condition. The giant greens can also be a challenge if you are a little wayward with your approach shots.

The staff at this course were impeccable from the moment we arrived. A very efficient greeter takes your clubs from the car, the starter is very efficient and the ranger makes a special point of thanking you for your business towards the end of the round.

"very disappointed"

Gurr's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/06/2018

My wife and I were very disappointed with the golf course conditions and the terrible conditions of both the men and ladies washrooms in the clubhouse. The whole facility looked tired and worn out. The couple we played with had the same opinion of the poor golf course conditions. Not sure how they got rated #2 on this island. Do not waste you hard earned money.

"The Choice on the Island"

sparty1894's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/06/2018
Previously played Used cart

Wonderful course on the Island. Well laid out with some outstanding views to enjoy. Greens were in excellent shape.

Course was very busy but the pace was very good.

"good golf, but nothing special"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/17/2018
First time playing Used cart Windy weather

Booked an afternoon tee time. Big pro shop as expected being that its a resort course. Ranger was somewhat rude and blunt. Before the round we went to the range only to discover that we were only permitted to hit off the mats. pretty disappointing considering almost any other course in S.C this time of year has grass driving range open. Front 9 was pretty straight forward. Layout of course is pretty average except for 10 which goes straight at the ocean. Other than that most holes seem the same in terms of 170 yard par 3s from the middle tees and a few dog leg lefts and rights. Tees and fairways were excellent. greens were pretty slow and seemed inconsistent.

"Wonderful day on the RTJ Course"

Kjohn33340's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/07/2018

What a great course for winter golf. Great greens, thick fairways with Bermuda overseeded with rye, and a layout designed to make you think. The course has everything....sand, wind, water and a great view of the ocean. Playing as two couples, we found the course to be very fair and equally as challenging. Pick the right tee box and enjoy a great day of golf....choose poorly and and dig deeply in the golf bag for another ball. Lots of play on the day we were there, but pace of play was four hours. The golf carts with GPS are a real benefit. Great staff ( actually the starter was a little cranky) and a pro shop stocked with a wide variety of men's and woman's attire. If you are in HH this is a great place to play. We'll be back next year.

"Great course"

Golfdaddy2u's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/22/2017

I played this course 2 of 3 rounds in the AGT golf championship. This was my first time to Hilton Head and to play this course and I was blown away by the overall feel from the staff and the course. The pro shop staff went above and beyond to help make sure our time at their course was perfect. I had forgot to stop by the ATM and one of the staff members gave me a ride to the general store that had an atm. He was busy but took the time to help me. Another great experience was after the pro made announcements he would walk down as we were about to go out and play and as each cart went by he would say thank you to all of us. You don’t see this kind of hospitality at the Utah courses. The course was in great shape. I hope to qualify for next years event so I can bring my family.

"Outstanding host!"

Nicgolf40's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/30/2017

We had our annual event here and we play 2 courses. We played the RobertTrent Jones course on Saturday(last round) the staff was so accommodating and went above and beyond for anything we needed. Terry and Jon took great care of us. They help us score the event. These 2 are true testments to their job. At our lunch awards everyone was raving about the course and the service. I hope we switch both rounds to this course. I highly recommend this course!!

"Great course! Outstanding customer service"

Rcgreen72's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/01/2017

We come down to Hilton ahead every year with the grandkids and my wife let's me out for a few rounds of golf. I played the Robert Trent Jones course today. The staff was very friendly and the course was great. What really stood out is Terry Davis attention to a certain situation I had on the course. He went out of his way to make sure I was taken care of and he went above and beyond what he should have done. You won't be disappointed with this course or the customer service.

"Poor course conditions..."

Cristian3237750's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/28/2017

8am Friday morning tee time and the weather was perfect. Course conditions were not - at all. Tees, fairways, rough, & bunkers hadn't been mowed/raked taken care of for many days. When asked they claimed they had mowed that morning which was a total lie bc the morning dew clearly showed no one had been out yet. Crabgrass growing on tees, clumps (and I mean clumps) of grass all over the rough, bunkers hadn't been touched etc you get the point. Greens were smooth but slow and also hadn't been mowed in at least 1-2 days. Just not acceptable for a resort course charging $125+ especially when others on HHI that same week were in impeccable condition. This is not the elite course/layout most of these reviewers tell you it is but if you're used to playing cheap municipal public town courses then I suppose you'd be impressed here. Vacation golf means limited chances to play resort courses so you have to choose wisely especially when paying $$$ to play.

Played Atlantic Dunes a few days earlier and was overly impressed with the layout, playability, and overall course condition and well worth the extra $$ to play there. Sorry Palmetto Dunes RTJ I wont return.

Commented on 08/08/2017

Hello Christian,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. We're sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectation during your recent visit. We take immense pride in our courses and keep a rigorous maintenance schedule. There was some rain in the days leading up to your visit, which may have affected your visit. If you're still in town, I welcome you to reach out to me directly. Please call the Robert Trent Jones Pro Shop and ask for Terry Davis, Robert Trent Jones GM.

"Yes...yes...yes..."

jerrynthewriter's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/13/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather

I mean, c'mon, it's a Robert Trent Jones layout, so how can it be anything but challenging. Lots of bunkers, but they are well-placed (in my opinion), so if you find yourself walking into them, it's because you hit an errant or bad shot. Greens were lightning-fast (a great thing, in my opinion. Teeboxes and fairways were immaculate. Great views (ocean and lagoon) abound.

Overall, top shelf!

Two minor "distractions".

Driving range is set up with mats. No, stop this please. Mats are for the Northeast, not for the south. Buy a couple of lengths of rope, some extra grass seed, and let players warm up/practice from the turf.

Get electricity to the shack between the 9th and 10th holes. I get it...a hurricane came through last year. Still, buy a generator, hook it up, and turn it on. My "aim" is somewhat suspect even in well-lit conditions, so peeing in the dark does not turn out well (seriously, we had a woman in our group and she literally had to use the bathroom in COMPLETE darkness).

"Disappointment"

leonttjones's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/08/2017
First time playing Used cart Hot weather

I was so excited to play this course, it was the highlight of our trip. While the course was nice and the view of the ocean was very cool, I was disappointed. It was hot, heat index of 106. So I understand the tees and greens being like rocks. If you hit a gap wedge though, your ball should at least leave a mark. The biggest issue was the service. They only have 3 metal water fountains on the course. They provide you warm water to drink. The half way house was closed, so after golfing 9 holes, there is nothing to eat or drink or even get ice. Eventually we found the beverage cart for her only visit on the 13th hole and she had turkey sandwiches.

If I was judging the course I would give it 3.5 stars out of 5, but the poor customer service really brought it down.

"You need to play this course!!"

Dbcoach36's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/19/2017

I can't say enough about this course. My brother, nephew and I were on vacation from WV and decided to play all 3 of the Palmetto Dunes courses. The Robert Trent Jones is by far is the best of all 3 when comparing course and customer service..Hills is a close second in course conditions but lacks the service that the Jones course gave us. From the time you arrive you feel like someone and just not another number. We were greeted by Parker at the bag drop off and he was outstanding. The pro shop and the service were great. We hit a few balls on the range and then started our round. Dave, the starter was great and told us all about the course. Course was in great shape. After we finished we bought a few shirts and were really impressed the guy in the pro shop remembered our name.. if you are in the area you need to play this course.

"Great experience"

Psnyder33's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/03/2017

I had some friends in town and we decided to go to the Robert Trent Jones course. I had not played here in several years and it surprised me in a good way. The staff was very attentive and helped us in way they could. I've been to several higher end resorts and even their service was not this good. We checked in and went to the range before our round. Tim helped us out on the range and made us feel at home. The starter called for us and offered us an apple from their cooler(nice touch) the course was in great shape and the greens rolled perfect. I'll be back soon!!

"Great course on the ocean"

Keith0709's avatar
Georgia Advisor

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/20/2017

What a great course at Palmetto Dunes resort. The three courses at the resort are all one of a kind but this one is truly spectacular. The Robert Trent Jones course built in 2002 is truly special. The ocean views are great and the white sand bunkers with deep rough really make it a tough day. The wind can really blow on the back nine. The food in the clubhouse is great and the staff was really accommodating at was willing to awnser are questions. The carts seemed new and where electric. (Which run smoother then gas) The best part is the overall price with tax, ocean views, great course, and fees I spent about $95 dollars. Overall the course was great.

"GREAT Golfing experience"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/03/2017

If you really want a GREAT golfing experience, look no further than the RTJ Golf Course in Plametto Dunes. I know there are numerous choices for golf on Hilton Head Island, but RTJ is a course I could play everyday. Challenging, yet fair. Great views of the Atlantic Ocean. The rates during the winter months for the quality of play, can't be beat. Let me tell you upon entering the golf shop, or making a tee time over the phone, Terry and Michael do a TREMENDOUS job. They are very accommodating and Professional. They go way beyond the call of duty. After golf, we eat at Big Jims. The food is outstanding, with great views. Gail behind the bar is a plus. She's great, and very entertaining. In my opinion, Clark, the Director of Golf, is also doing a TREMENDOUS job. One more thing, Dianne in the Pro Shop is the BEST. She's responsible for the clothing merchandise. Yes, I bought several pieces of golf clothing. Beautiful clothes. One of my favorite places to shop for golf clothes. All things considered, this is my favorite golfing experience. KUDOS TO ALL, and keep up the good work. P.S. The Course is in GREAT shape

"Lots of fun!"

sarrowood's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/28/2016

We came to HHI not just for a golf trip - more of a family vacation with a couple of rounds squeezed in. This place is exactly what you want for such a trip - excellent shape, enough continuity but enough variety to make the layout interesting, not a bad hole out there. This will definitely be a standard visit on future trips to the island.

"GREAT Day"

andyey's avatar
Plays:  Once every three months

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/10/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

I cannot tell you what a great experience I had last week! The starter, David, took the time to talk to my 7 year old son to start out the day. Every ranger we saw on the course greeted us with a smile and asked us if we needed cold towels since it was such a warm day. To wrap up our day, Karen could not have been more pleasant in the pro shop and again, took time to talk to my son.

On the golf side, the course was in immaculate shape! Of course it was challenging and got frustrating, but it was exactly what I expected. The sounds of the ocean on 10 were great. I could not have asked for a better day and I will let everyone know. Thanks for making my vacation that much better!

"Little Jewel on Hilton Head Island"

Sylvain9645338's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/17/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Average weather

Fantastic layout and not that difficult. Well designed for average golfers. A little pricey though. The course was in great shape except for the greens which were rather slow and sandy. If I had payed full price of $120, I would have been mad. A lot of holes play into the Ocean's wind (against you) especially on the back 9 but generous fairways make up for it. It makes clubs' selection tricky and fun. Only one hole has kind of a view of the Ocean but the course gets its name from the wind. I like this course but it is not my favorite in Palmetto Dunes. I rather play the other 2 because they are more challenging. Fun but don't expect to find great greens this summer. Would play it again though. It is however the best maintained course at the Palmetto Dunes Plantation.