Robert Trent Jones Golf Course at Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort

1.9
2.4

The oldest course at Palmetto Dunes and is a long-time favorite on the island. This facility features an extensive lagoon system which winds through the course impacting play on eleven holes. Add some of Jones' seemingly patented bunkers and large, well-bunkered greens and you've got plenty of good golf ahead of you here. This Palmetto Dunes Resort course is well-known for its many views of the ocean. The finest is found at the 10th hole, a par-5 on the card of 540 yards. Its green is set out by the ocean, and it takes three good shots to reach it when the wind is blowing in your face
Green (W) 72 5621 yards 72.0 123
Black 72 2625 yards
Scorecard for Robert Trent Jones Course
Gold M: 74.3/135 389 387 370 582 204 422 410 227 522 3513 550 405 168 398 443 531 386 204 407 3492 7005
Blue M: 72.3/131 361 375 355 557 182 405 389 196 484 3304 529 383 154 353 411 510 358 183 385 3266 6570
White M: 70.2/127 W: 74.4/125 340 352 341 508 167 379 373 162 465 3087 495 356 141 329 383 494 344 160 352 3054 6141
Green M: 67.9/117 W: 72.0/123 324 338 316 458 130 334 342 132 435 2809 480 316 124 259 356 464 333 145 335 2812 5621
Red M: 65.2/110 W: 68.9/112 299 270 276 440 111 317 294 89 411 2507 435 237 105 220 345 429 318 90 300 2479 4986

Year Built 1970

Playing Multiple Courses 7

Disgusted by the Lack of Respect Shown to Golfers

The grounds crew followed us from hole #9 through #18 continuously working on the bunkers while we played. They ran their equipment and bounced from bunker to bunker while we were hitting. I've never seen that lack of respect for golfers from a grounds crew ever.
Pace of Play Average
Commented On 07/27/2018
Hello u000006234332, Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and concerns about your recent golfing experience at Robert Trent Jones. We strive to provide a memorable experience for all guests and apologize that your expectations were not met. While our golf course maintenance teams are working diligently to improve and maintain our course, they should also be doing so within the etiquette and courtesy of our guests. I'd like to connect with you directly to discuss your experience further to ensure your concerns are addressed. I may be reached at (843) 785-1131 or you can email your contact information to csinclair@palmettodunes.com and I will reach out as soon as possible. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future to provide you a rejuvenating round at one of our three courses. Warm regards, Clark Sinclair, Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort - Director of Golf

Disgusted by the Lack of Respect Shown to Golfers

This course is beautiful and in decent shape even with the 4 inches of rain that fell in the 1-2 days prior to us playing. I was disgusted by the fact that the grounds crew showed no etiquette towards our group. I understand they had to work on the bunkers because of standing water. However, they followed us from hole #9 thru #18 by continuously working and running their equipment while we played. I've never been so disgusted while playing golf. Go to Harbour Town, they treat you and the game with respect.
Staff Friendliness Poor
Pace of Play Good
Off-course amenities Fair
Course Conditions Average
Commented On 07/27/2018

Bad Shape

Careful, course is in really poor shape. Not particularly the greens, but everything else is terrible and appears to be being ignored. Weeds everywhere, tees that are all weeds, fairways are mostly bad, crabgrass everywhere. Worst conditioned course I’ve played in years.
Pace of Play Fair
Off-course amenities Average
Commented On 07/13/2018
Hello u370203921, Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and concerns about your recent golfing experience at Robert Trent Jones. We strive to provide a memorable experience for all guests and apologize that your expectations were not met. Our golf course maintenance teams are working diligently to improve and maintain our courses after a poor spring/summer transition. I'd like to connect with you directly to discuss your experience further to ensure your concerns are addressed. I may be reached at (843) 785-1131 or you can email your contact information to csinclair@palmettodunes.com and I will reach out as soon as possible. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future to provide you a rejuvenating round at one of our three courses. Warm regards, Clark Sinclair, Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort - Director of Golf

Extremely Disappointed

Worst conditioned course I’ve play in years. Rather shocking, appear they are not spending any money on course upkeep. This is my first review ever, triggered by over paying for really poor course conditions.
Staff Friendliness Average
Pace of Play Fair
Off-course amenities Average
Course Layout Fair
Commented On 07/13/2018
Hello u370203921, Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and concerns about your recent golfing experience at Robert Trent Jones. We strive to provide a memorable experience for all guests and apologize that your expectations were not met. Our golf course maintenance teams are working diligently to improve and maintain our courses after a poor spring/summer transition. I'd like to connect with you directly to discuss your experience and address your concerns. I may be reached at (843) 785-1131 or csinclair@palmettodunes.com. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future to provide you a rejuvenating round at one of our three courses. Warm regards, Clark Sinclair, Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort - Director of Golf

Needs a lot of maintenance

Could not believe a Hilton Head course could be in such poor condition. Fairways were full of crabgrass and in many places no grass. Greens had been aerated weeks before but were still not playable. Tee boxes were worse than you would find on a muni course. (Sorry about that, I should be more respectful to the many fine muni courses out there.) What a shame for such a good RT Jones course to have fallen to this level. Play the Arthur Hill course instead. Much better condition.
Off-course amenities Excellent
Value for the Money Fair
Commented On 07/13/2018
Hello Kilmerlake106, Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and concerns about your recent golfing experience at Robert Trent Jones. We apologize that your expectations were not met during your recent round, as we strive to provide a memorable experience for all of our guests. Our golf course maintenance teams are working diligently to improve and maintain our courses after a poor spring/summer transition. Please allow me the opportunity to connect with you directly to discuss your experience further. I may be reached at (843) 785-1131 or csinclair@palmettodunes.com. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future to provide you a rejuvenating round at one of our three courses. Warm regards, Clark Sinclair, Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort - Director of Golf

Dissapponted

This was my first trip to Hilton Head. This course was located directly behind our condo and I had heard good things. I walked on to the course late this morning and was greeted by a very friendly and helpful staff. I was paired up with 3 others, all different generations in the same family and they were happy to have me. They had played the course many times before and were more dissapponted than I was as they had had seen the course in much better shape. In all fairness I was told in the pro shop that the course had been aerated a couple of weeks prior but the course was looking good. With that being said they also were offering a modest discount to anyone playing the course. Now the bad, To start, the T boxes were horrible. There was more dirt than grass. The same could almost be said of the fairways. The grass around the greens was the only thing that I could tell was left of this courses’ previous stature. The greens were rough, but again they were recently aerated. There were a lot of odd hops and bobbles that I found invisible when surveying the green between my ball and the holes. The pace of play was abysmal. According to the ranger we spoke with they had let a couple of fivesomes out a few groups ahead of us who were on the island for a wedding. They were playing a scramble and were taking a long time looking for balls and what not. The ranger did break it up but the twosome between our group and the scramblers were so frustrated they decided to stop play at about the 6th hole and call it a day. By the time we reached the 14th hole two of the guys in my group decided to leave the game as well leaving me to finish with their father/ grandfather to finish the round. To top it all off the cart I was riding in had recently come from the Fazio course in Palmetto Dunes. Not only was the GPS unit in the cart still set for the other course but the scorecard in the cart was also for the Fazio course. If it wasn’t for the group I was with and my GPS watch I would have been more clueless than I already was. There are a lot of courses to play here on Hilton Head. The guys in my group were telling me about the other courses that they know are in much better shape and offer cheaper rates. The next time I return to this island I will not plan on a replay of the Robert Trent Jones course.
Staff Friendliness Excellent
Pace of Play Poor
Georgia Advisor

Fun Course - Terrible, unfriendly staff

When we got to the first tee, the starter was not happy or friendly at all. The cooler on the cart had not ice at all, just warm water. I took the cooler off the cart and went to get it filled with ice. The started said in an annoyed voice "you have to go off right now. You can't go get ice." I just turned around and gave him a stare and walked away to get ice. I just paid $125.00 to play the course and I was not going to play without any ice to have a cold drink on a hot and humid afternoon. I went and got ice and when I came back the started gave me a dirty look and said that we had to go right now. At the range, you were only permitted to hit off mats. Not what I expected from an up-scale resort course. The course is in great condition and the greens are fantastic. There are lots of elevated greens which adds to the challenge of the Robert Trent design. The greens had very few un-repaired ball marks so the greens were quick and rolled true and smooth. The layout of the course is fun and challenging. The best hole is the par 4 #11 where the green is right by the ocean and has a spectacular view of the Atlantic ocean. Tees and fairways were in excellent excellent condition. There is lots of water and bunkers. At the end of the round, the cart attendants were VERY rude and only cared about getting the cart back so they could clean. They were trying to rush us to get everything out of the cart so they could clean. They make you get everything out of the cart and pack ALL your personal belonings out to your car and do not help or assist at all. At the end of the round I was tired and not in the mood to be told what to do and to get all of my stuff out of the cart and carry EVERYTHING out to mar car (over 200 yards away). The beginning anbd the end of the round made the entire day not to enjoyable The course was great but the staff was awful.
Staff Friendliness Poor
Off-course amenities Good
Course Conditions Excellent
Value for the Money Fair

An absolute gem!

From my perspective, this course is an absolute pleasure to play. Aesthetically, it is very pleasing on the eye and if your accuracy is a little off, the layout makes for a much easier day than say the Arthur Hills course next door. I very much appreciated the wider fairways when stood with jangly knees on the, the Hills course having beaten the snot out of me the previous day. I can definitely see how some of the other courses close by might be more to some golfers' preference. The RTJ course uses other means by which to challenge you - plentiful bunkers for example, several of which I frequented and all of which were in almost perfect condition. The giant greens can also be a challenge if you are a little wayward with your approach shots. The staff at this course were impeccable from the moment we arrived. A very efficient greeter takes your clubs from the car, the starter is very efficient and the ranger makes a special point of thanking you for your business towards the end of the round.
Staff Friendliness Excellent
Off-course amenities Good
Course Conditions Good
Value for the Money Good

very disappointed

My wife and I were very disappointed with the golf course conditions and the terrible conditions of both the men and ladies washrooms in the clubhouse. The whole facility looked tired and worn out. The couple we played with had the same opinion of the poor golf course conditions. Not sure how they got rated #2 on this island. Do not waste you hard earned money.
Staff Friendliness Average
Pace of Play Average
Off-course amenities Poor

The Choice on the Island

Wonderful course on the Island. Well laid out with some outstanding views to enjoy. Greens were in excellent shape. Course was very busy but the pace was very good.
Off-course amenities Excellent