Type Private
Originally opened in 1948, the Dunes Club enlisted Robert Trent Jones, who was a little known architect then, to design the golf course. Much like its now famous designer, the course has grown significantly from its humble beginnings. It is consistently ranked as one of the top 100 courses in the country and has hosted a variety of PGA, LPGA, and Amateur events. Jones returned to the golf course in 1976, modifying five holes and making the course more challenging overall. The Dunes Club's 13th is the signature hole. It has received praise as one of the best golf holes in the country. This stunning par 5, which has earned the nickname "Waterloo," has Lake Singleton coming into play. It is definitely the toughest but also one of the most scenic holes as well.
Scorecard for The Dunes Beach and Golf Club
Gold M: 76.1/148 425 440 452 529 215 455 425 538 221 3700 380 430 245 640 450 540 370 185 430 3670 7370
Blue M: 72.5/140 405 391 413 479 184 415 400 515 170 3372 340 385 168 545 410 500 345 165 385 3243 6615
White M: 70.6/135 385 365 390 430 165 370 375 470 140 3090 325 370 150 520 388 475 330 155 365 3078 6168
Green M: 68.3/130 370 355 370 415 140 350 300 455 130 2885 315 345 146 500 359 430 320 140 350 2905 5790
Red W: 71.6/132 270 295 360 405 129 310 290 435 115 2609 315 300 142 465 285 409 320 135 330 2701 5310

Year Built 1949
Greens Ultradwarf Champion Bermuda Grass

Single Allowed Yes

• Golf Advisor: Ginella's Top 50 U.S. Courses You Can Play (2016 #23) (2015 #22)

A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 2

Dunes Club

Course was in great shape. The warm Feb and cold march seems to have most courses in Myrtle beach area in bad shape but Dunes Club was not affected. Great course!

Beautiful course!

This is one of the best courses I've ever played. Perfect condition, great layout, and unbelievable views. The staff couldn't have been friendlier including the starter who told us about what hazards to look out for on each hole and gave a great rundown of the course before we teed off. It's expensive but definitely worth it.

Gone Downhill

I played this course several times in my career. I love the layout and would rank it as one of my all-time favorite golf courses. It was the most manicured golf course I've ever played. However, something has happened when we played it on July 5, 2017. Only one person to help you unload your clubs. The starter handing out business cards to a restaurant he is trying to push. Some of the fairways hardly had any grass (see picture). The best thing about the course was the greens. I was so disappointed to tell my friends how good this golf course and then they looked at me after the round and said why did me play this course. It was not good.
Staff Friendliness Fair
Off-course amenities Fair
Course Conditions Poor
Value for the Money Poor

The elder statesman

This has been on my playlist five of the six years I've been down here. It's a terrific course. Fastest greens in Myrtle Beach. They roll true. Overpriced? Probably. Heck, I'm on vacation.
Value for the Money Average
Course Layout Good

Best in Myrtle Beach

I have been going to the MB area since 1987. I have played pretty much all the courses in MB, but this was the first time playing The Dunes. This course along with Caledonia are "MUST PLAY'.

Dunes

Played when it was a few weeks after Hurricane Matthew. Still a lot of debris laying around. Took away from experience. Would not have mentioned this if it were not that I played other courses in same area that were cleaned up nice.
Staff Friendliness Good
Pace of Play Average
Course Conditions Average
Value for the Money Good
Course Layout Good

Fine course, but for the money, hmm...

Our group has taken an annual Sept/Oct golf trip to MB for about 25 years. Having played virtually everything MB has to offer (including many now-closed courses), this year we decided to plunk down the extra money to play the The Dunes. There's nothing bad to say about the course, except it's questionable whether it's worth the $169-$185 greens fees. The elevated greens are fast and true, the RTJ layout is smart and challenging (from the blue, anyway), the bunkers and fairways are exceptionally well maintained. It's a nice country club setting, no doubt. We can now say we've played The Dunes, but for $169, it's extremely doubtful we'll play it again. It's an upgrade from the already wonderful public courses of MB, but is it worth the extra $70-plus per round? If that kind of cash means little to you, I suppose so. Otherwise, a day at Heritage Club or Pawley's or Tidewater should satisfy the average/above-average golfer just as well. (BTW, the "ocean views" mentioned are from the members-only dining room in the Clubhouse, not from the course itself.)
Staff Friendliness Good
Value for the Money Fair
Course Layout Excellent

First time and someone got me a good rate

A friend got my group a very good rate to play Dunes. I have heard lots of hype about this course over the 29 years I have been going to Myrtle Beach to play in the World Amateur. So , I would say that my expectations were extremely high. First of all the greens were fast...very fast for Myrtle Beach summer greens. They had been recently punched but that posed no problem. They rolled very true. The course was very nice but somehow it missed the WOW Factor for me. Nice greens, nice bunkers, tee boxes and fairways but I have played courses in MB with more of a WOW factor than this. I am glad I did not have to pay the advertised rate.
Course Conditions Good
Value for the Money Average
Course Layout Average
timfaz
Commented On 09/25/2016
what other course s would you recommend that were better or had more of that wow factor?? Might be planning a golf trip there with friend from Fla. and Ct.

Best Course on the Strand

I've been going to Myrtle yearly for the last 35 years. I've played every coursed there, including a bunch that have closed down. The Dunes Club, not to be confused with Grande Dunes, is a traditional, tree lined, Robert Trent Jones course. It's also one of the oldest tracks in Myrtle and the former home of the Senior PGA Championship. The greens are the best on the Strand and it'd always in good shape. The Dunes Club is hands down the best in Myrtle Beach.
Quality of food & beverage Excellent
zeecque
Commented On 01/13/2016
As I researched this website (https://beta.golfnow.com/courses/1036334-the-dunes-golf-beach-club-details), I came upon overlayed typeface which was undecipherable. Can you please correct this glitch?

This Course is out of this world

If there is only one course i could only play in my life the Dunes Golf and Beach club would be that course !

Valid dates: Aug 13, 2018 - Dec 31, 2019