Royal St. Augustine Golf and Country Club

Located in Florida’s oldest city, Royal St. Augustine Golf & Country Club offers a glimpse of the area’s lush foliage and native marshlands. The course has a visually interesting layout with elevated, sprawling greens and a variety of bunker shapes and sizes. The moguled fairways and sandy waste areas are two other distinguishing features of the course. It is a tight course with large greens and gentle undulations. The layout provides a “target-golf” experience that puts a premium on accuracy and distance control. The numerous bends in the course in combination with the blustery winds also makes proper club selection very important.
Royal St. Augustine Golf & Country Club
Scorecard for Royal St. Augustine Golf and Country Club
Gold M: 71.9/137 549 212 357 509 379 151 457 397 181 3192 381 207 504 399 179 405 339 415 508 3337 6529
Blue M: 69.3/131 529 189 329 471 338 139 446 359 169 2969 356 196 494 369 161 379 317 378 496 3146 6115
White M: 66.6/121 W: 70.5/125 507 144 292 413 293 120 328 329 152 2578 320 177 401 339 129 338 281 340 460 2785 5363
Red M: 64.5/120 W: 68.1/123 448 127 248 389 276 109 265 308 138 2308 273 161 374 232 96 290 138 283 414 2261 4569

Year Built 2001

Credit Cards Accepted Amex MasterCard Visa Discover card(s) Welcomed

19th Hole Specials 10

Great course for the money.

Was pleasantly surprised that the conditions were really good. Everything from tee to green was in good shape. Practice facility was a little strange in layout and I couldn't find the putting green for some reason. Other than that, great value for the money. Definitely will play there again.

Great Bang For The Buck

The course has a new Superintendent and the greens and fairways were in excellent condition. The carts have GPS and the staff was very helpful and friendly.

If you want to play eighteen holes of golf with a cart without breaking the bank. Give this one a try.

Jaxmanx

A challenging course with very fast greens and good fairways. It’s nice to have Range finders in the carts providing yardage to the greens. The bartender Katie is very friendly and seems to enjoy her job.

Great course for the price. Course was interesting and in good shape. Lucky I found this course while on vacation in the area.

Course was in great shape, greens were lightning fast, and I played poorly.

Royal St Augustine golf course

I have played this course every time we come to St. Augustine which is 4 or 5 times now. The course just gets better each time.

Fast greens

Greens are fast and in very good shape. Fairways and bunkers also in good shape, I very much enjoyed playing here today.and will be back soon.

time to play here

get on this course It is in great shape, greens are awesome.

Tight layout

First time playing and was pleasantly surprised on the conditions and layout.

It is tight with a fair amount of water on a lot of holes .

The greens were great.

A lot of fun to play and a change of scenery instead of playing wide open courses. I like to be challenged !!

Give it a try.

Good Shape

Best I have seen this course. Greens excellent & true. The weather has greened it up.

Fun Course; Good Value

My son and I were on vacation in St. Augustine. We wanted to play a final round before we left, and Royal St. Augustine had times available that met our schedule. Course was very fun. Not long, but very tight. If you can't hit it straight, don't use it!

The GPS on the carts plus the yardage book were very helpful. Occasionally, some signage on actual course markers wasn't in sync with the GPS. We followed the GPS, and it was the more accurate.

Greens were in excellent condition! Fairways were pretty good, with a few spots that are showing wear from the season.

A little "different" to wind through the neighborhood streets. Par 3 by apartments also seemed "close"... but also was a part of the uniqueness of the course.

My son and I played from the White tees in less than 3-hours... which was perfect pace of play. Would definitely come back here the next time we're in the area.

Close / Cheap

Bunkers are pretty bad. Rocks, not raked. Greens were deptively fast though, much better than normal.

Commented On 07/14/2018

Thank you for playing and the fair feedback. We appreciate you coming out. Hopefully we will see you again!

The change has made this course a Royal Gem

Having played the course upwards of 400 times since the course first opened.I have seen the course go through some ups but over time i would have to say the course was on its way down.But a white knight has came to restore the royal property away from its demise.That white knight being the new superintendent has proven my thought that if someone could come and put some care into the course.That the Royal could be one of the most challenging but fun courses in North East Florida.The playing conditions now are better thsn i have ever seen them in.And this being only less than a month after aerification.The greens are as true as i have ever seen,yhe detail to the fairway lines is beutiful to see,and tee boxes very groomed and level.I play golf nearly 7 dsys a week at courses all over the area and the Royal St.Augustine is by far in the best shape of anyI have played.I take my hat off to you sir for taking my home course from almost dispair to absolutely dazzling.Keep up the good work it has not gone un noticed.I would highly recommend anyone to come play and see for themselves what this amazing man and his staff have done to make the royal i believe one of best courses in the area hands down.Thank you

Grand Central Station

The pace of play was poor. We had a threesome in front. two adults and an eight year old. Not a course for an eight year old. As a result a single behind us played through. then a foursome behind him passed through. The threesome eventually let us play through.

Then we ended up being held up by a foursome 3 old women and a guy. New golfers that needed to be on the driving range not the course .

A ranger is definitely needed

Take a Flyer

the reviews are not accurate for playing conditions, there is nothing royal about this course.

the tee boxes are in bad shape. some are blocked by over grown vegetation. very narrow openings to hit fairways. the fairways are not any better very hard and no true landing areas that are flat. there is no definition between rough and fairways. the greens roll true but weeds are in the fringe and in some greens. there are way better courses around this area, i would take a flyer on this course and play elsewhere.

Commented On 07/13/2018

Geez. Tough crowd lately. I guess the mostly very positive reviews have created an unrealistic expectation. We are possibly in the best condition we have ever been in. I would challenge anyone to find a better conditioned golf course in the area for our price range. A one star rating is just ridiculous. A few weeds around the edges of greens and overgrowth in the flyovers warrant a one star? This review is more about the layout of the course of which we can do nothing about. It’s a difficult, but fair challenge. It’s a polarizing course that I recommend everyone try out for themselves first.

Wow this course is bad

So my friends and I are staying in Ponte Vedra Beach on a golf vacation. We had a free day in between other courses down here and saw good ratings for this course. Driving up we can tell this course was not in good shape and that we were tricked.

To begin with, we didn’t expect this course to be like TPC or World Golf Village, but this course was a disgrace. Let’s start with course conditions. What’s a worse word than abdominal? The fairways are burnt out and rock hard. I would say the rough is bad, but there isn’t rough. The fairways were so hard I’d hit the center of the fairway and end up in the trees. The tee boxes were uneven and you could barely get a tee in some of them. I will give you this, the greens were in good shape and rolled pretty true.

The layout... well let me tell you about this. It looks like they carved this course out into an area barely big enough to support 9 holes. The architects barely removed trees in certain areas and the shoot to get through on your tee shot was barely 10 yards wide. Some holes just didn’t make sense from an architectural standpoint or a common sense one. We were told this is a “shot makers” course, but really they couldn’t be bothered moving earth on this course, which makes it narrow. To make it worse, one side will have trees and the other water... so if you’re playing here you might as well just take 6 iron off the tee. Pick which hazard you want narrow fairways with trees or a ton of water. Pick one!

So long story short never play here, but I would pick up a ball maker... they have a pretty cool logo. You’ll thank me later

Commented On 07/09/2018

We stand by our course and the conditions. There are some difficult holes with mounded fairways, but nothing like this person is describing. All other recent reviews were very positive about our conditions. I hope anyone looking through these reviews can see this is an outlier that should be ignored.

Needs some rethinking

Let’s start with the positives. The greens , fringe and fronts were in great shape. Didn’t have a problem putting at all. Everything was rolling and breaking the way it should’ve. No “what was that” incidents. Chipping and pitching were also as they should’ve been in Bermuda grass. Pace of play was pretty good and the starter was very friendly. Pretty good drink cart specials too! The uniqueness of the layout of the holes was challenging, thru shoots, tree lined tee areas, ponds in doglegs...all good.

Let’s deal with the bad. No noticeable difference between fairway and rough. And when you have water, dense brush and adjacent swamp land, the rough should be grown out to prevent balls from escaping. Hitting the fairway and rolling into the rough is one thing. Hitting the fairway, rolling thru what should be higher grass and into hazards not only makes people not want to play a course like that again, but it slows the pace of play because players are spending too much time looking for balls or rehitting. Some of the tee shots had overgrown limbs sticking into the line and need to be cut back.

The sand is clay. And when you have clay in your bunkers you need more material to prevent players from hitting the bottom of the bunker underneath the ball. Clay is smaller than regular sand, so it packs more dense and even worse when it gets wet.

I did see evidence of rework being done. White spray paint was noticeable in several parts of the property, so maybe if a new superintendent has indeed taken over the course, he has noticed what I did and is starting to address these issues. I also don’t quite understand how Bermuda grass is effected in the dead of Summer, being that I play mostly on bent and fescues. So I would like to see the condition of this course Nov-April after most of the rework is complete.

Commented On 07/14/2018

Thank you for playing! We appreciate your fair and objective feedback. Our new super is indeed working on the fairway definition and growing the rough up exactly like you’re talking about. That is the white markings you saw. Hopefully you will come back out in the near future to see the difference!

Greens in great sgape

Heavy rains the night before, I expected a soggy course. But the course drained fantastically and was in great consition. Greeens were in excellent condition.

Valid dates: Oct 19, 2018 - Dec 20, 2018