A view of the clubhouse from the 18th green at Makray Memorial Golf Club

Makray Memorial Golf Club is a public course that has been open since 1962. To commemorate 40 years of great golf, the course was remodeled and revamped in 2002. The renovations improved its playability and also made it more challenging. The championship-caliber layout features strategically placed bunkers, including some Scottish-style sod-faced ones, and tricky water hazards on several holes. The hilly terrain offers both challenging elevation changes and scenic views. The golf course finishes with a long par 5 that plays across a canyon of berms to a narrow fairway. Further accuracy is needed to reach the well guarded green surrounded by high berms, a pot bunker to the left, and a deep, steep bunker to the right. In addition to the course, Makray Memorial G.C. boasts an extensive practice facility with 1 1/2 acres of grass teeing ground, two putting greens, and a short-game area.

Makray Memorial Golf Club

Year Built 1962
Architect ILT Vignocchi (2002) Bob Lohmann

Credit Cards Accepted Visa, Master Card, American Express, Discover
Dress code No blue jeans. Collared shirts for men, although mock turtlenecks are acceptable. Shorts no shorter then 3 inches above the knee.

Bar, Grill

Clubhouse, Banquet Facilities

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in Illinois (2016 #22)

Entertaining Clients 13

Tough but great value

Don’t play here if you aren’t prepared to play a true test of golf. The layout and design are for those who appreciate the game. The greens are so true and incredibly fast each time I play here. Love this track.

Greens are impossible

The greens really do make this course almost unplayable. The ball simply doesn’t stop. We played in the rain after several days of rain, the course was wet but playable. Even with the wet conditions, you could putt 10 feet uphill only to have the ball come rolling back down and leaving a 20-25 foot putt. Other than that, the course is great. Beautiful layout and very challenging.

Greens were a joke

There's nothing that can redeem a course that sets it's greens up the way this course did the day I played. It was possible on virtually every hole to just miss a 10 foot putt and be left with a 30 footer on your next putt. In fact, it was not only possible but down right likely that if you missed a putt on hole number 4 from left of the hole to not only see the ball roll off the green into the rough, but into the water too and don't tell me well hit your tee shot right of the hole. Yeah sure, anything right of the hole went from near the pin to into the water. I don't have a problem with tough courses but I don't want to pay to be made a fool of.

Nice course- tricky greens.

Nice course, layout is very good. Greens are hard and extremely fast- don't hold approach shots very well. Some of the fairways could use water....a little brown and dry in some areas. Overall, we enjoyed the course but it could be fantastic with a little attention.

The staff was great, everyone was friendly especially the starter and the bartender.

Changed My Price After Buying Tee Time on GolfNow

I never got to play the round of golf that I had booked for Labor Day 2020. I booked a 4-some 10-12 days before Labor Day, through GolfNow, at $69 per person, Four days before my reservation, I received a phone call from the course. I was told that if I wanted to keep the tee-time, we would need to pay $94 per person. I was told that GolfNow did not have the correct price listed.

I argued that this was not my fault and that I bought at the published rate. I was told that I either needed to give up the tee-time, or pay the $94/person. Notifying me 4 days before my reservation did not give me any opportunity to find a tee time, at a different course, at the time that I needed.

We were so mad that we ended up cancelling our 4some. When I emailed the Head Pro about this, he eventually offered to let us play later in the day at the $69 price. The timing was too late for us and it wasn't going to work.

I was amazed that they were coming back to me a week later and wanting us to pay $25 more, per person! I'm guessing that they don't value me as a customer, but it if happened to them, they would be just as upset as we are. HORRIBLE CUSTOMER RELATIONS!

If the pricing was wrong and it was not the courses fault, they should be taking that up with GolfNow, not demanding more from a customer who just wanted to play golf with friends, that get together once a year.

VERY DISAPPOINTED!

Not worth the money - concrete greens

Layout is not bad, everything is in decent shape and well kept, EXCEPT the greens. They’re literally nearly as hard as concrete, on one hole my ball bounced off the green and went into the water!! You won’t find a ball mark anywhere because the green is too hard to leave one. It makes this course unplayable, fix the greens and this could be a great course. Until then, save your money.

Frustrating for the bogey golfer

I don’t think I’ve played on faster greens. No approach shots would stick lots of 3 putts. If you’re looking for a challenge give it a try

Course is always tough but it is extremely dry/hard greens are very fast but expected since no rain lately.

Nice Place

Met friends for couples golf at 12:30 on a Sunday. Very easy check in and very well organized. Course is in decent shape, greens are very good. Lay out for my taste is a bit odd. Traps had nice sand. Food was 5 star excellent and the cart girl was never too far away. We were unable to finish due to weather but we did get a 9 hole rain check which was very generous. The only problem we encountered was the on course staff/starter. We wanted to play the green tees (celebrate our 70th birthday) and the red tees. However we could not find them so we were looking around when a greens staff member came out and actually starting yelling at us? Huh? When we said we couldn't find the tee markers he scolded that they had been removed and reconfigured due to Covid (tired of hearing that excuse for everything). After venting his anger we decided to play bronze and silver and red for the gals when we could find them. My suggestions would be a) tell us that when the starter sends us off, b)put the notice with the course scorecard, c)post it somewhere like all the mask signs, or finally d) mention it on their web site in their in depth Covid details. Otherwise the staff was super friendly.

Not worth it

Tee boxes, fairways, and green were in rough shape. Very overpriced for a public course.

Lighting greens and perfect bunkers

Makray Memorial has always been known as a tougher course in the Cook/Lake County areas. This being my third time here (first playing the whole 18) I was eager to play. Got out at 6 am. Course is beautiful, greens roll fast, bunkers are very well manicured as well as the fairways and rough. Staff was great, range and short game area are perfect for getting in pre or post round practice. The course has a mix of long and short holes, all challenging in their own way. Loved this course and will be back soon!

Not worth it.

For $94 you expect the place to be immaculate. Greens and tee boxes were pretty beat up. Layout is fantastic as is the clubhouse. Disappointed, should not charge so much if they don’t bother to even water.

Good overall

It’s overpriced and the greens were more chewed up than usual, but it’s always a nice course to play.

Not worth the money

For $95 the course should be in immaculate condition. Last Sunday 4 of us played in the morning and all commented about the poorest tee boxes we have seen all year. Course is at best a $40 course for 95 on weekends. Much better places near by.

Overall the course is in good condition, albeit a little dry in places. Given the price, I would expect to see some improvements to a couple of the fairways and tee boxes, as a few were pretty beaten-up. Definitely be mindful of errant balls on number nine, as there is significant spillage from the driving range area.

Beverage cart service was great and the grill set-up at the turn was the best I have seen at any course all season, complete with a great selection of food and microbrews. Additionally, great procedures in place for COVID-19, which were appreciated.

Overall, a great track with a few imperfections along the way, but I would definitely return.

Lake Zurich, Illinois