The Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail At Cambrian Ridge
Orange 72 6580 yards 71.9 128
Teal 72 4723 yards 67.1 118
Teal (W) 72 4723 yards 67.8 111
Scorecard for Loblolly/ Sherling
Purple M: 74.7/139 497 421 418 182 418 222 503 447 443 3551 568 209 428 184 428 420 437 636 371 3681 7232
Orange M: 72.2/122 469 397 390 155 413 196 434 423 418 3295 531 167 398 169 399 397 412 601 349 3423 6718
White M: 68.4/131 457 346 334 136 367 138 369 366 365 2878 490 146 356 141 367 324 354 514 327 3019 5897
Teal M: 63.2/120 W: 68.5/118 342 322 249 75 301 112 344 321 284 2350 417 91 280 79 224 283 322 460 279 2435 4785

Year Built 1993
Architect Robert Trent Jones, Sr. (1993) Roger Rulewich (1993)

Carts Yes - $20

Credit Cards Accepted VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover Accepted

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in Alabama (2018 #3)

Great condition

We played the Loblolly/Sherling. The Canyon course was closed for aerification and the Loblolly course had been aerated the previous week. The Loblolly greens had almost fully recovered and rolled so well we didn't notice any impact from the previous week's maintenance. We played 36 holes and other than maybe six or so groups, we had the entire course to ourselves. We stopped between rounds for lunch that was included with the all you can play special we purchased and all of the meals were delicious - the clubhouse facilities and restaurant are very nice. The course conditions were excellent, even immaculate. The only gripes I would express, and these are minimal, is (1) the rough was barely distinguishable from the fairway, maybe cut to 1" tall so there was practically no penalty for missing the fairway, and (2) the end of play horn sounded approximately 6:10pm, even though sunset was more than an hour afterwards - we were hoping to play a few holes on the short course but the early horn ended our day, which was otherwise very enjoyable, challenging, and well worth the two hour drive each way.

Staff was friendly and helpful. Course was a lot of fun

Amazing Day of Golf

Immaculate, beautiful, grueling, awesome. Perfect greens, lush fairways, amazing elevation changes. A must play!

Excellent course layout, but greens were gimmicky

We played this course on a Wednesday mid-morning and the weather was outstanding. It was a bit windy, but it was 80 degrees and very sunny. The course layout is fantastic. Scenic views and every hole was unique, which I always appreciate. We played from the tips at about 7,100 yards and this course was very challenging from that distance, but mainly for one reason. The greens, while massive in size, are pretty gimmicky. Every green was tiered and had crazy undulation. While this is fine for some holes, it got to be pretty annoying as the round went on. The green speeds were fair (my guess is they were rolling around an 11) and they were in great shape, but when you're putts remind you of putting on a putt-putt course, that's when it goes just a little too far. One other gripe I had is that for $95 mid-week, I would've expected the carts to have GPS or a yardage book to be provided. That is a pretty steep rate for non-gps equipped carts. I know these reviews generally only highlight the negative aspects of a golf course, which isn't really fair, so I'll touch on a few of the positives. As I mentioned before, the views were incredible. There are a couple of holes where you can see for miles, which was really cool. The course was impeccably manicured. Fairways were quick, rough was fair, and the greens were sharp. The practice area was great, as well. Huge driving range with 7 (I think) different locations to hit from. The putting green was massive - plenty of space for many people to warm-up beforehand. The pro shop was great - the lady inside was very friendly and if you're looking for a keepsake from this RTJ course, you'll certainly find it in there. All in all, I would absolutely play this course again (and likely will at some point), but just beware that the greens, while great in quality, are likely going to frustrate you at some point during your round.

Perfection

Perfect all around! If you define heaven as a golf course the the entrance to this facility should be pearly gates!

samgates18
Commented On 07/29/2019

Indeed

Awesome

First course of our goal to golf RTJ Golf Trail. Loved Canyon and Loblolly. Coldish day and windy but lovely course. Greens were good and very quick round this time of year. Only complaint is no cart service and no restaurant service available after our round. ( we wanted an early dinner/ late lunch but I guess non members are SOL for food this time of year??)
. We traveled quite a distance to golf here had to travel some distance again to eat!! Hopefully if we visit again, we will have better off course. amenities - we do like to make our golfing experience more than just a game.

Cambrian Ridge at Greenville

Played Sherling and Loblolly nines. Very beautiful weather and scenery making each hole a joy to play. Played from the orange tees so the course was challenging, especially the greens. Broke 90 but could score better once I knew the course better since many of the fairways and greens required knowledgeable course management. Greens were mostly fast with plenty of slope and indulations. Also played the Short Course which was incredibly difficult from the orange tees without knowing the layout of the greens. Look forward to trying the course again on a future trip.

Birmingham Advisor

Put Cambrian Ridge on your Trail itinerary

Cambrian Ridge, much like Silver Lakes to the northeast, is often bypassed by players with limited amount of rounds on trips to the Trail. Big mistake on both accounts.

Forty minutes south of Montgomery and just of I-65, Cambrian Ridge offers three distinct nines. You will see tall pines, magnolia trees and Spanish moss dropping from trees - all on the same property. The Loblolly is mostly void of water and plays through the nine's namesake pines.

For me though, if you only have 18 holes, play the Sherling and Canyon courses.

Sherling eases you in with a par-5 opener and a gentle par 3. The third hole begins off an elevated tee and plays toward the lake - the dominant feature of the Sherling and Canyon nines. The wind can howl on these exposed holes and big numbers are lurking.

The ninth hole is relatively short and plays dramatically uphill toward the clubhouse. A ravine divides the ninth holes of the Sherling and Canyon courses, challenging tee balls alternatively left and right.

The Canyon course, however, is my favorite and evokes both nerve and skill to score well. The layout mimics a roller-foster thrill ride with dramatic elevation changes throughout. Brawny par 5s yield to par 4s beckoning 4-iron tee shots and wedges to multi-tiered greens. Pars are very good scores. The lake figures heavily into the Canyon nine as well.

My only constructive criticism is that it is my opinion that there is too much sand in the bunkers.

I have never been here when it was crowded. Again, it is off the beaten path, but is among the best holes on the Trail.

Great course.

Cambrian Ridge was gorgeous and fantastic. Course in great condition for this time of year. Staff was friendly and helpful. RTJ Trail is a must for the bucket list of every golfer.

Wow & Wow Again

This is a must play for golfers looking for beauty, challenge and a place you will want to play again.

Beautiful

Beautiful course maintained like a championship course. Challenging with some long holes and plenty of water to serve the water Gods :) Don't miss playing here in your travels. It's a place you will remember!

Fun course and friendly staff

What an awesome play to play a winter round of golf. It was a bit windy but the course was in great shape for the time of year.

Happy Customer

Course was absolutely beautiful and in great condition. Nice challenge but not too hard. I'm female and chose to play whites which was a little harder than usual, but the teal tees were too short for me. I was very happy with my game.

Great golfing at RTJ's Cambrian Ridge

Not many words necessary. Approx. 5 miles from I 65 you can find this excellent golf paradise. My son and I played Sherling and Loblolly. Both 9 holes have been in great shape. Greens are fast and not easy. Course layout is beautiful. Staff friendly.

The Canyons is currently under construction. So we will come back to play this one as well.

Loved Loblolly!

Loblolly was my favorite after playing Grand National Lakes and Capitol Hill Judge on the Trail the previous two days; beautiful, majestic, and quite playable even for a bogey golfer. Condition very good, and had seemingly the whole course to myself so played in well under 4 hours. Enjoyed Sherling very much also until I got to the last hole--just too gimmicky for me even though I was told it is much better than original. Still, I wish i had returned to play again the next day--highly recommended.

Excellent course great layout!

Our first time playing here. Course is in great shape and lots of fun. The greens were a little slower than I expected/desired but they roll true. We will be back for sure.

RTJ courses always a treat!

Beautiful course as most RTJ courses are Is worth the money to plan any of them. All are beautifully done but tough courses to score on.

Breathtaking

Absolutely beautiful and challenging course! The views are spectacular. Would highly recommend this course to anyone.

Valid dates: Aug 15, 2019 - Aug 31, 2020