The Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail At Cambrian Ridge

Year Built 1993
Architect Robert Trent Jones, Sr. (1993) Roger Rulewich (1993)

Carts Yes - $20

Credit Cards Accepted VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover Accepted

Restaurant

Locker Rooms

18 holes

Great course, diamond in the rough. $72 GOLFNOW made the rate worth it. Great views. Beautiful day. Amazing pace of play

Always a joy

No doubt my favorite place in the world to play golf! I’ve been playing here since they opened and it has never disappointed me.

proud state employee

The staff, the general course areas, the fairways, the greens, and the overall course was great. my friends got individual carts and we loved the seriousness of the staff with the covid-19 explanation. not family, not living together and not relatives then individual carts...great great great...pace of play was better and faster with individual carts...as my retirement is paying for this, i would love to at least get a discount to promote loyalty among state employees

Fun little course

First time playing this fun little course. We decided to add a few more holes to our day trip after already playing 36 between the three tournament courses. One can't help to feel the excitement and exhilaration of looking down to the green from the first tee box on this Short Course. Overall, the course is set out well. The greens weren't as cared for as the tournament courses, and this was clear on the first 4 holes; the greens on the latter 5 holes were in better shape with no bare spots. The greens are considerably smaller than the tournament courses, but I felt this added to the challenge of the short course. The most disappointing aspect of the course was the lack of variation in yardages; we had hoped to see a better mixture of short and mid iron requirements. The yardages did seem to slowly increase for the final 3 holes. The most immediate maintenance required on this course is the recovery of the first 4 greens, as well as trimming the overhead branches impending the tee shots over the #6 tee box. Until the #6 tee box is cleaned up a bit the hole demands a draw that starts over the lake and must be turned back into the green. I need to be clear that these conditions are only minor distractions and in no way will dissuade me from playing this fun little 9-hole the next time I visit the site.

Great condition

We played 36 and all three courses were in great shape. We started with the Canyon/Loblolly and after lunch played the Sherling/Canyon. All courses are in equally great condition. The staff was great and very accommodating to get us out ahead of our afternoon tee time as we were playing at a swift pace. Other than the BYOB tourney in December, I haven't seen as many players on the course in any of the several trips I've made to the site. However, the pace of play was very good and well managed. Cambrian Ridge is always a great time!

Disappointed in staff

Myself and my friends have booked a round at this course multiple times over the last few years. We have used golf now all of those times and never had any issues. When we arrived at the course there was an older man that accused me of lying saying the rate that I booked was fake and that was not what they charged people. I explained how golf now worked and how many times i had used it at this course. It was extremely frustrating and finally after 20 minutes another man came and helped him understand and then we were able to pay and go play. This course is beautiful and a blast to play aside from the staff being a little annoying.

Perfect

We played the Sherling/Canyon as part of the BYOB tournament. The course is perfect. Great greens with a bit of speed, perfect fairways that were a little damp from the previous couple days of rain, and great staff. You couldn't ask to play a course in better condition. Well worth my two hour drive, well worth the RTJ Trail Card, and why I keep returning to this gem.

Cambrian Ridge. Loblolly/Sherling

I wanted to play the Canyon nine but it was closed due to heavy rains the day before. I was extremely satisfied with the two nines I played as they were beautifully maintained despite the previous heavy rain. The staff was helpful and courteous. Everything was up to what is expected on the Jones Trail.

Amazing

The Sherling/Canyon was our 4th 18 in two days after we finished at Capital Hill. I would put this 18-hole combination up against the others I've played on the trail as the most scenic. The generous fairways are balanced by the demaning shots to score. The greens were considerably slower than normal but rolled well and true. The staff, as always, was as courteous and hospitable as you could ask. There were only four groups booked the entire day so we had our own private golf complex. It was a great conclusion to our road trip. Can't wait to return again!

Great condition

We played the Loblolly/Sherling. The Canyon course was closed for aerification and the Loblolly course had been aerated the previous week. The Loblolly greens had almost fully recovered and rolled so well we didn't notice any impact from the previous week's maintenance. We played 36 holes and other than maybe six or so groups, we had the entire course to ourselves. We stopped between rounds for lunch that was included with the all you can play special we purchased and all of the meals were delicious - the clubhouse facilities and restaurant are very nice. The course conditions were excellent, even immaculate. The only gripes I would express, and these are minimal, is (1) the rough was barely distinguishable from the fairway, maybe cut to 1" tall so there was practically no penalty for missing the fairway, and (2) the end of play horn sounded approximately 6:10pm, even though sunset was more than an hour afterwards - we were hoping to play a few holes on the short course but the early horn ended our day, which was otherwise very enjoyable, challenging, and well worth the two hour drive each way.

Staff was friendly and helpful. Course was a lot of fun

Amazing Day of Golf

Immaculate, beautiful, grueling, awesome. Perfect greens, lush fairways, amazing elevation changes. A must play!

Excellent course layout, but greens were gimmicky

We played this course on a Wednesday mid-morning and the weather was outstanding. It was a bit windy, but it was 80 degrees and very sunny. The course layout is fantastic. Scenic views and every hole was unique, which I always appreciate. We played from the tips at about 7,100 yards and this course was very challenging from that distance, but mainly for one reason. The greens, while massive in size, are pretty gimmicky. Every green was tiered and had crazy undulation. While this is fine for some holes, it got to be pretty annoying as the round went on. The green speeds were fair (my guess is they were rolling around an 11) and they were in great shape, but when you're putts remind you of putting on a putt-putt course, that's when it goes just a little too far. One other gripe I had is that for $95 mid-week, I would've expected the carts to have GPS or a yardage book to be provided. That is a pretty steep rate for non-gps equipped carts. I know these reviews generally only highlight the negative aspects of a golf course, which isn't really fair, so I'll touch on a few of the positives. As I mentioned before, the views were incredible. There are a couple of holes where you can see for miles, which was really cool. The course was impeccably manicured. Fairways were quick, rough was fair, and the greens were sharp. The practice area was great, as well. Huge driving range with 7 (I think) different locations to hit from. The putting green was massive - plenty of space for many people to warm-up beforehand. The pro shop was great - the lady inside was very friendly and if you're looking for a keepsake from this RTJ course, you'll certainly find it in there. All in all, I would absolutely play this course again (and likely will at some point), but just beware that the greens, while great in quality, are likely going to frustrate you at some point during your round.

Perfection

Perfect all around! If you define heaven as a golf course the the entrance to this facility should be pearly gates!

Commented on 07/29/2019

Indeed

Awesome

First course of our goal to golf RTJ Golf Trail. Loved Canyon and Loblolly. Coldish day and windy but lovely course. Greens were good and very quick round this time of year. Only complaint is no cart service and no restaurant service available after our round. ( we wanted an early dinner/ late lunch but I guess non members are SOL for food this time of year??)
. We traveled quite a distance to golf here had to travel some distance again to eat!! Hopefully if we visit again, we will have better off course. amenities - we do like to make our golfing experience more than just a game.

Cambrian Ridge at Greenville

Played Sherling and Loblolly nines. Very beautiful weather and scenery making each hole a joy to play. Played from the orange tees so the course was challenging, especially the greens. Broke 90 but could score better once I knew the course better since many of the fairways and greens required knowledgeable course management. Greens were mostly fast with plenty of slope and indulations. Also played the Short Course which was incredibly difficult from the orange tees without knowing the layout of the greens. Look forward to trying the course again on a future trip.

Birmingham Advisor

Put Cambrian Ridge on your Trail itinerary

Cambrian Ridge, much like Silver Lakes to the northeast, is often bypassed by players with limited amount of rounds on trips to the Trail. Big mistake on both accounts.

Forty minutes south of Montgomery and just of I-65, Cambrian Ridge offers three distinct nines. You will see tall pines, magnolia trees and Spanish moss dropping from trees - all on the same property. The Loblolly is mostly void of water and plays through the nine's namesake pines.

For me though, if you only have 18 holes, play the Sherling and Canyon courses.

Sherling eases you in with a par-5 opener and a gentle par 3. The third hole begins off an elevated tee and plays toward the lake - the dominant feature of the Sherling and Canyon nines. The wind can howl on these exposed holes and big numbers are lurking.

The ninth hole is relatively short and plays dramatically uphill toward the clubhouse. A ravine divides the ninth holes of the Sherling and Canyon courses, challenging tee balls alternatively left and right.

The Canyon course, however, is my favorite and evokes both nerve and skill to score well. The layout mimics a roller-foster thrill ride with dramatic elevation changes throughout. Brawny par 5s yield to par 4s beckoning 4-iron tee shots and wedges to multi-tiered greens. Pars are very good scores. The lake figures heavily into the Canyon nine as well.

My only constructive criticism is that it is my opinion that there is too much sand in the bunkers.

I have never been here when it was crowded. Again, it is off the beaten path, but is among the best holes on the Trail.

Great course.

Cambrian Ridge was gorgeous and fantastic. Course in great condition for this time of year. Staff was friendly and helpful. RTJ Trail is a must for the bucket list of every golfer.

Wow & Wow Again

This is a must play for golfers looking for beauty, challenge and a place you will want to play again.

Valid dates: Jul 01, 2020 - Dec 31, 2020