Style Parkland

Located on the famed 17-mile-Drive, Poppy Hills Golf Course in Pebble Beach was the first course in the United States to be owned and operated by an amateur golf association, the Northern California Golf Association. Originally opened in 1986 and designed by Robert Trent Jones Jr.,Poppy Hills is a challenging, par-71 venue that weaves through the Del Monte Forest and has played host to several renowned tournaments, including the AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am from 1991-2009. In 2014, it received an extensive, $10 million renovation by RTJ Jr. The project was first and foremost aimed to improve environmental responsibility, and cut water consumption by reducing the amount of irrigated turf -- about 60 acres -- while also extending the layout to over 7,000 yards. From a playability perspective, all the rough was removed and doglegs were softened. The course was awarded "Best Renovation" that year by all four major golf publications.

Poppy Hills Golf Course

Year Built 1986
Architect Robert Trent Jones, Jr. (1986) Donald Knott (1986) Gary Linn (1986) Mark Rathert (1986)

Carts Yes - $25

Caddies Yes
Golf Simulator Yes

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in California (2017 #22)

GolfNow booking is treated differently

Greens were just punched, slow and bumpy. However there was no notification anywhere. Fairways were good and dry, but it’s cart path only for unknown reason.

Pro shop person doesn’t like GolfNow booking, I can tell from his reaction during check in. And when I asked for range balls, he said: “you don’t get range balls with THAT tee time!”.

Other less expensive course in the area provides free bottle water and bag of range balls. This course is too cheap.

There is no starter and marshals either.. No cart lady too. Bad service for the money.

Great course!

This was first time to play here....and even though cart path only due to recent rains, course was amazing! Can’t wait to play again!
Daisy at the 19th hole was super friendly too!!

Super Slow Pace of Play

Pace of play was fine until we got to the back nine, where there were literally 3 groups waiting at the first par 3 on the back nine. Marshal never came out, and by the time he did, we had already teed off. The group behind us left altogether, and two people in my group, went back to the clubhouse to eat, and when they came back, we were still waiting!!!! Honestly, I had never seen this at any course in the Bay Area before, and quite frankly, I doubt I will ever come back. Three of the people in my group were tourists....I can only imagine traveling to Pebble Beach for vacation for golf, only to have the round end up like this. I'm local, so while I was not super angry, I surely would have been if I had been visiting from somewhere.

Beautiful course

This was a very nice golf course. Fairly challenging but not overly difficult. It was in very good condition. Greens were good not perfect. Pace of play was OK on front but 2.5 hrs on back and not marshaled it appeared at all. Lunch was good but came out pretty slow despite not many people there.

Poppy Hills Golf Course

The Course was in really good shape, was a beautiful day, the weather was perfect, greens were good, only thing is I think they started aerating the greens, Fairways were kept nice.

Spacing between groups an issue

The course was in fantastic shape on a beautiful day. We had a late tee time (for a threesome) and were told that we could tee off early and the course would be wide open. We teed off about 25 minutes early and very soon came under pressure from a single which we let play through. Unfortunately, we then had 3 more singles come up against us. Our pace of play was fine but obviously 3 play slower than one and we constantly felt under pressure for 13 of our 18 holes. Don't understand why the starter would send singles off one after another instead of combining them and keep the spacing between groups. Staff was noticeably absent when we wanted to return our carts. It tarnished an otherwise great day of golf. I'm hoping this was an aberration because we love the course and would like to play it again.

Shame on NCGA

90% of Golf Courses have a Junior rate. But the one owned by a golf association (who you would think would promote youth play and promote youth rates to other courses) would give a junior discount to an 11 year old. Instead, the rather rude pro shop clerk told us “Pebble Beach” doesn’t have junior rates either and charged him the the same rate as the adults in the group. No wonder golf is dying with greedy golf courses like this.

Great course, staff needs guidance

Really enjoyed Poppy. Challenging but fair course in very good condition. Pace moved along nicely on an active day. Range balls were quite poor, more in line with a local muni rather than a high end facility. Seems the staff outside could use some training.a bit brusque/borderline rude. Pro shop staff was great, very welcoming.

Good Course - Poor Amenities

My wife and I played Poppy Hills on June 27, and had mixed thoughts.

The good - Difficult, but fair course and in excellent condition. The staff was very friendly.

The not-so-good - No GPS on the carts, no towels, no water and we never saw a beverage cart. For the fees we paid, we were disappointed.

The bad - We were a twosome and had a VERY slow foursome ahead of us. On most holes, we got to the next tee before they even finished teeing off themselves. They saw us the whole time, but did not allow us to play through. Our round was almost five hours, and it is ridiculous there was never a single marshal on the course. We enjoyed the course, but will not play there again with these issues.

This course is right up there with the big 3 and considerably easier to book and cheaper as well. It is an excellent layout though tough to stay out of the bunkers. The staff were very friendly and helpful. I walked the course and found it very walkable. The only down side I could see was the beverage cart is broken and it would have been nice to see that cart since O was walking.

Very nice course

Very nice course. Challenging as you might expect but very playable.

So so Poppy experience

Played at Poppy hills today, March 27, 2019. I usually play at a club in Illinois. The course appeared to be in good shape after aeration several weeks ago. The practice green was fast but all greens on the course were slow. Bunkers were in good condition. There were intermittent very light showers but I expected the greens to roll much better for this level course. The views are very nice with beautiful large trees but certainly not spectacular.

Overall a pretty nice course.
However, the service was disappointing. Starter told me if my handicap was over 10 I should tee off from Poppy 2. After reaching the first par 5 in 2 I reviewed the scorecard which suggests 2s for a handicap over 14. No one helped me when I pulled up to the bag drop. No food or drink cart on course. No one helped when I returned to bag drop after round. No one offered to clean clubs. I had to put the push cart away myself. Staff act like it’s beneath them to help you out. Certainly not the experience one expects.

Level of service is a surprising when paying $260 with push cart for a visitor. I didn’t play Pebble Beach due to recent aeration. I may play that in the future but don’t think I’ll be back to Poppy.

Poppy

Great layout and good shape......well worth the money

Not quite as nice as expected

I know it was a little off season and the area had had a lot of rain. However, was a little rough in spots and it would seem there should have been worker bees on the course cleaning it up. The staffing inside was a little lacking in friendliness.. Would it hurt to say "Hello?" AND, playing at the first hole I kept looking at the course and the scorecard saying to myself.. this can not be right! I had a score card from BEFORE the front and back side was flipped - TWO years earlier! I was disappointed.

Pacific Grove, California
Monterey, California
Monterey, California
Carmel, California
Carmel, California

Valid dates: Mar 06, 2020 - May 06, 2020
Talamore’s Spring Signature Package (2 Nights / 3 Rounds), starting at $325 per person.