Style Parkland

Located on the famed 17-mile-Drive, Poppy Hills Golf Course in Pebble Beach was the first course in the United States to be owned and operated by an amateur golf association, the Northern California Golf Association. Originally opened in 1986 and designed by Robert Trent Jones Jr.,Poppy Hills is a challenging, par-71 venue that weaves through the Del Monte Forest and has played host to several renowned tournaments, including the AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am from 1991-2009. In 2014, it received an extensive, $10 million renovation by RTJ Jr. The project was first and foremost aimed to improve environmental responsibility, and cut water consumption by reducing the amount of irrigated turf -- about 60 acres -- while also extending the layout to over 7,000 yards. From a playability perspective, all the rough was removed and doglegs were softened. The course was awarded "Best Renovation" that year by all four major golf publications.

Poppy Hills Golf Course
II (Women's) 71 6010 yards 73.7 135
I 71 5415 yards 66.0 125
I (Women's) 71 5415 yards 70.1 125
Scorecard for Poppy Hills Golf Course
Tee IV M: 73.0/140 W: 78.5/146 525 151 420 400 375 205 435 175 515 3201 425 193 439 580 445 179 410 405 529 3605 6806
Tee III M: 71.2/135 W: 76.3/142 499 132 390 383 366 188 425 152 489 3024 397 173 397 560 421 163 392 385 488 3376 6400
Tee II M: 68.6/131 W: 73.7/135 463 123 370 356 332 165 389 134 457 2789 380 150 358 525 362 146 364 348 479 3112 5901
Tee I M: 66.0/125 W: 70.1/125 421 99 351 302 291 141 375 121 414 2515 306 118 252 480 333 123 333 326 429 2700 5215

Year Built 1986
Architect Robert Trent Jones, Jr. (1986) Donald Knott (1986) Gary Linn (1986)

Carts Yes - $25

Caddies Yes
Golf Simulator Yes

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in California (2017 #22)

This course is right up there with the big 3 and considerably easier to book and cheaper as well. It is an excellent layout though tough to stay out of the bunkers. The staff were very friendly and helpful. I walked the course and found it very walkable. The only down side I could see was the beverage cart is broken and it would have been nice to see that cart since O was walking.

Very nice course

Very nice course. Challenging as you might expect but very playable.

So so Poppy experience

Played at Poppy hills today, March 27, 2019. I usually play at a club in Illinois. The course appeared to be in good shape after aeration several weeks ago. The practice green was fast but all greens on the course were slow. Bunkers were in good condition. There were intermittent very light showers but I expected the greens to roll much better for this level course. The views are very nice with beautiful large trees but certainly not spectacular.

Overall a pretty nice course.
However, the service was disappointing. Starter told me if my handicap was over 10 I should tee off from Poppy 2. After reaching the first par 5 in 2 I reviewed the scorecard which suggests 2s for a handicap over 14. No one helped me when I pulled up to the bag drop. No food or drink cart on course. No one helped when I returned to bag drop after round. No one offered to clean clubs. I had to put the push cart away myself. Staff act like it’s beneath them to help you out. Certainly not the experience one expects.

Level of service is a surprising when paying $260 with push cart for a visitor. I didn’t play Pebble Beach due to recent aeration. I may play that in the future but don’t think I’ll be back to Poppy.

Poppy

Great layout and good shape......well worth the money

Not quite as nice as expected

I know it was a little off season and the area had had a lot of rain. However, was a little rough in spots and it would seem there should have been worker bees on the course cleaning it up. The staffing inside was a little lacking in friendliness.. Would it hurt to say "Hello?" AND, playing at the first hole I kept looking at the course and the scorecard saying to myself.. this can not be right! I had a score card from BEFORE the front and back side was flipped - TWO years earlier! I was disappointed.

Poppy Hills , what a treat !

Considering the recent weather , this course is in perfect shape. Greens were fast but lots of fun. The staff is super friendly in the pro shop and restaurant.

Poppy Hills

Course was in great shape, especially considering all the rain. Fun and challenging course, worth the visit for sure.

Poppy Hills January 2019

Great venue. ET friendly and efficient staff. Lovely course. Very enjoyable.

US Open Shotgun Fired on Target

Poppy Hills planned ahead for U.S. Open week, and the course was in stellar condition. The greens were true and fast, The fairways were well manicured, and the sand in the bunkers was country club quality. The only complaint is the opportunistic pricing for the round since they anticipated golfers would pay any price even if if only a handful of us showed up for an 8 am shotgun stsrt.

Good day with wife

Took my wife out mid day. Everyone friendly, started on time, had a nice day out.
Greens slow as they still had a bit of sand. Rolled true but you had to give it a whack. The course requires you to take what you get. Learned my lesson on a par 5 when I tried to hit a hooked 4 iron from deep in the trees. Bad idea. Bounced around and made 8. Plenty of room to play sideways back to fairway, lol. Trying to show my wife I could hit it through a 5x5 window 50 yards away. My bad. Her laugh.
We will be back soon.

Pebble Beach's Hidden Gem

Poppy Hills is the hidden gem of Pebble Beach! The course was gorgeous and challenging! The staff was very welcoming, helpful and friendly.

This course challenges your club selection off the tee, but is really fun to play at the same time. Greens ran true and for a little challenging to read.

This is probably my favorite track i have ever played! i will definitely be back.

Awesome experience

Weekday in December. Gloriously sunny and nobody on the course. Course was in fantastic condition except for one thing - greeens we’re recently sanded. Did not diminish our experience. This is one of my top five favorite courses. I play to about an 8 and it is plenty challenging while not being overwhelmingly difficult. We walked 18 in about 3 1/2 hours and we could have played much faster if we’d wanted. One of my favorite golf experiences ever.

Poppy Hills

Fun course to play with lots of challenges..

Many elevated approach shots and tricky greens.

If I had one negative the pace of play is slow.

Played on 11-11-18 and Poppy remains one of my favorite courses in the Western US. It was very dry and smoky because of wildfires but course was excellent condition. Luckily, carts are allowed off cart paths for November and this makes it much more enjoyable. If you play it under NCGA 'normal' conditions (cart path only) you're better off walking - but it is hilly.

Great mix of holes with challenging par 5's. You won't understand the greens until you've played it 3-4 times at least.

Thanks to the NCGA for taking the risk of owning such a fantastic course in the prettiest area in the US.

Overall a good experience, but .....

There is plenty of room for improvement. Positives first:
Great layout
Iconic setting
Staff very friendly
Course was in great shape
Had beautiful weather
Beer prices were reasonable

Negatives (keep in mind that we just paid $250 in Greens fees and an extra $25 for a Cart fee):
Driving range poorly stocked - no tees, no towel at club wash bucket
Carts were poor - cooler had no ice or water, no clubwasher on cart, no towels in cart, no GPS
No GPS and no layout card/book provided
Snack shack closed when we teed off at 0930
Worst thing - it literally took 6 hours to play!!! No marshals. We waited on every single shot!

If a few of these negatives were corrected, this would be a world class golf experience, but the lack of amenities puts it in the class of an expensive muni with a really nice tract.

Happy Poppy

Great experience. We played early as a twosome in three hours forty five minutes. Staff was very friendly and welcoming. The greens are tricky but fair. Lots of interesting scenic holes with great variety. Only criticism--change the routing back to what it was originally. The nines were reversed since we last played.

Greens Ruined The Round

This could have been an exceptional golf experience had it not been for the speed of the greens. They were so fast it was not uncommon to see 4 putts and balls roll completely off them. Otherwise the course was in great shape and was a nice layout. Honestly, we were so exasperated we did not even want to finish the round. Glad we only paid the NCGA rate and not the regular price.

4.0195882353
Pacific Grove, California
Monterey, California
Monterey, California
4.3319176471
Carmel, California
Carmel, California

Valid dates: Jun 25, 2019 - Dec 31, 2019
TPC San Antonio offers you the chance to play two championship golf courses that have hosted several PGA TOUR and PGA TOUR Champions events and is home to several PGA TOUR pros.
Texas Tees Package
Lone Star Stay & Play at TPC San Antonio
TPC Las Vegas Summer Special
Championship Package at TPC Sawgrass
Latest Articles
Metro Detroit's best public courses
Articles
Golf tournament pro-ams: a primer
Articles
The days I fell in love with golf (a Cool Golf Memory)