Hyde Park Golf Club

Caddies: No

Dress code: Proper attire is required.
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard Welcomed

Championship 72 6468 yards 71.0 124
Regular 72 6153 yards 69.5 122
Ladies 73 5464 yards 71.3 119

Hyde Park Golf Club, built in 1925 by Donald Ross, is one of the oldest in Florida. In 1971, the golf course was purchased by former touring professionals Billy Maxwell and Chris Blocker, who have successfully restored it.

Rolling hills, gorgeous Spanish Oaks and towering Southern Pines make Hyde Park a lasting experience. A tour stop for the men's and women's professional golf tours in the 1940s and 1950s, the golf course gained a place in history during the 1947 Jacksonville Open. The great Ben Hogan took an 11 on the par-3 sixth, which became known as "Hogan's Alley." It has a deep-faced bunker to the right and water to the left.

Hyde Park Golf Club measures 6,468 yards from the longest tees for a par of 72. The course rating is 71, and it has a slope rating of 124.

Location is convenient to the city in the 'burbs worth the drive   Great for locals beginners seniors   Challenges include bunkers elevation changes water hazards   Great for drinks watching the game brunch

"It is what it is"

billyvette's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/10/2018
Previously played Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

It's a nice little Donald Ross course. You can't expect pristine conditions when you pay $17 - $30. It's a shame that it can't be made into the beautiful course it could be but not for that money

"Who'll stop the rain?"

bill8107's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/03/2018
Previously played Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

only average course conditions but in all fairness it has rained very heavy for the last 3 days, course drains well but its just to much water. Still my favorite course.

drchung024's avatar
Plays:  Once every three months

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/25/2018
First time playing Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

kmar1919's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/22/2018

A lot of work going into the course.

Greens recently top dressed so will be great soon. Love the layout of the course. Not your typical Florida development course.

"Hyde Park"

BIGdaddy8881's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/16/2018

This was my first time playing the course. The greens were in good shape, some tee boxes were pretty beat up. Overall the course was in really good shape. The only negative I really have to say about the course conditions was the standing water in every fairway. It has rained nearly every day for the past few weeks. Maybe they could fix some drainage issue's. The staff was professional and friendly. We played 18 in 3 and a half hours. All in all it was a really fun day of golf on a nice historic golf course. The layout is old school, with wide, forgiving fairways and small elevated greens. If you live within an hour it is worth it to play at least once.

"Painfilly slow play."

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/09/2018

Satrurday and there were 2somes all over the course. We were a group of 4 and waited on every hole for 2somes that would not join together. At one point there we're 9 groups on three holes. There was a marshall on the course that just sat and watched never combining 2 groups. The course was in good shape and it's a nice track. At the turn if you want it a snack and a drink you had to go to two different spots. The snack bar did not have drinks and bar did not have snacks.

"Good conditions"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/31/2018

I have played Hyde Park in the past, and gave it a try after not playing there for at least a few years. I have to say I was quite impressed with most of the conditions on this old style course on the west side of Jacksonville. The greens were rather slow but still had a really good roll. Fairways had lots of green grass and the tee boxes look like they been worked on. It doesn’t have the conditions of some of other high value of golf courses in the area, but I strongly recommend: play this great Donald Ross design. It’ll take you back in time on many of the holes. It was wet from all the rain we have had but most areas of the course was playable.

"Too many players"

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/26/2018

8 holes took 2.5 hrs, it was so tediously slow we quit course after 8 holes .... basically "hit and sit"

Way too many foursomes playing No ranger to speed things up Proshop not overly concerned, "play is slow today" And whos to blame for that?? Selling a hot deal is not a deal if the round takes 5 or 5.5 hrs, also throwing foursomes off the first tee as soon as they can hit is a recipe for inordinately long rounds. Greed on the proshop is to blame.

I will never ever go on a weekend again I have played here 25 yrs and never saw it so bad

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/14/2018

its cool to play these holes and think about the history of the course. walking the same fairways at Hogan.

"A lot of fun"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/08/2018

I was playing with my son and we enjoyed it. It was a great day and I will be coming back to this location.

I hope to see you to.

"Great course to play anytime"

Mark4880997's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/02/2018

Like a place that you can pair up and play and have fun. Hit'em straight

"A wonderful time"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/28/2018

I just had a wonderful time on this Golfclub. I will recommend this place to everyone who loves to play a nice game of golf.

Commented on 05/09/2018

Thank you for your excellent review! We are always excited to hear about people who have a great time enjoying this timeless layout! We look forward to having you back!

"Love to have seen it in its heyday!"

jelzey1967's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/24/2018

Early Donald Ross design with almost all of the green complexes above the level of the fairways. They are still bumpy from recent aerification and are correspondingly long and slow. I made a nice 3 on #6 and would have made up 8 shots on Hogan in '47! If they can continue to improve the greens; the layout, challenge, and the true beauty of Hyde Parks history may bring back its greatness.

Commented on 05/09/2018

Thank you for your feedback and great job on #6! We appreciate your patience with our greens and your understanding of the punching process. Another week and we will be running much smoother and faster! Hopefully you will give us a chance to earn those 4th and 5th stars!

"Hyde park trouble"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/19/2018

Pace of play was good. The greens are small which require you to hit good shots. The greens were bad because they were being treated and airraided. I will go back because I know greens will be better in a few weeks. One draw back the cart path road on 18th hole was very confusing with ropes and repair area. Overall good coures

Commented on 05/09/2018

Thank you for your feeback! We appreciate your patience and understanding regarding our greens. In the next few weeks, they will really start to fill in and become much smoother. We apologize for 18 as we had a drainage issue that required a major excavation. We will work on marking the cart path better thanks to your comment!

"Great Design... Course could use some attemtion"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/08/2018

I remember playing junior tournaments here as a kid.. always enjoyed playing here and you can’t beat a Ross design.. course could use some improvement, I’m sure the winter had something to do with it... but the greens we unfortunately quite slow and bumpy... the fairways and tees were sparse in some areas but playable. Hopefully they get it back this summer to somewhat what it once was... would love to play here on fast greens!

Commented on 04/13/2018

Thank you for your honest feedback. You are correct in the fact that the winter was somewhat harsh for the course and it shows. As we move into spring weather, we have already laid the fertilizer to wake the course up for growth. We just aerated and the greens are bouncing back stronger than ever! We look forward to having you back to see all the great improvements that are taking place out here!

"Refreshing"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/04/2018

In 30+ years

wielding a chain saw to improve sunlight in needed areas? The OWNER!

Stopped at turn for coffee and saw the same owner -yes the course owner-paying for his hotdog! I have many many courses to choose from but if I play at all it will be here. Unpretentious genuinely friendly real people course that is continually and visually improving daily. Don’t pass it by

Commented on 04/13/2018

Thank you for your encouraging feedback! We are making great strides in trying to get this course back to it's full potential. We are all working torwards a common goal including the owners! We look forward to having you back.

"Nostalgic course design"

Tshackelford18000000's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/31/2018
Previously played Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

We chose this course because we had played here in years past. The layout is interesting, as it was designed by one of the original master course designers. Staff was friendly, but the restaurant closed early - 2pm??? They had a good add-on deal that included range balls, hot dog, and a drink for $5. The course could use a good amount of work overall, especially the greens and fairways - to bring it up to par with the amount paid to play this old, nostalgic track.

Commented on 04/13/2018

We appreciate your feedback and choosing Hyde Park over other options. We have changed our snack bar hours now that we are in the busy season so we apologize for the inconvenience you experienced. We are working very hard to improve the course in all areas especially the fairways and greens. We had a relatively harsh winter and the course showed that. As we move into the spring, we are already seeing great changes in all areas. We hope that you give us another chance to earn your recurring business!

"Be prepared."

tower2344's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/16/2018

In no particular order:

Fairway grass was cut way too low so there was no way to comfortably use an iron to get under the ball without taking a divot with it.

The holes were entirely too close together with no breathing room between fairways or tee/green.

The greens were very fast and had steep angles from the flag to where your ball was constantly rolling away.

Staff was friendly but most every other golfer I encountered on the course was abruptly rude or snyde or irritable, some even threatened to fight my very calm uncle when he kindly asked them why they cut in front of us on a hole. Another fellow accused me of stealing his ball whilst I was searching for mine when I never once touched his. Another grumpy player yelled at me for not yelling "fore" off of the first tee when I never even saw him around until he marched up to me with an angry tone. (This should have been indicative of how my round would turn out)

The pace of play wasn't staggered properly. There were constantly golfers ahead of us which slowed us down while there were players behind us remaining visibly upset and making us feel uncomfortable and rushed.

I would only play this course again on a very slow day without others around. A bad experience which put a bad taste in my mouth about this course. My golf partners would agree.

Commented on 03/23/2018

Thank you for your honest and concerning feedback. We take complaints very seriously and try to make them right as much as possible. As for the greens, we are cocluding the winter months and they are still a little slick. We are focusing on the greens to ensure improvement over the next year. We hope that you will give us another chance to make it right. Our afternoon/evening play is a little more relaxed and gives players a better chance to enjoy the course.

"Good for beginners"

will2b5's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/10/2018

This is a good beginner course so I would recommend it for them, but if you are an experienced golfer looking for a challenge you might be bored. My biggest issue with this course was the man who checked us in. He never cracked a smile and seemed to be technology challenged. At the turn we ran into the cart girl. I wanted to buy a 6 pack, but she only accepted cash. She told me I could go inside and pay for it and she would put the beer in our cooler. When I went inside the guy at the counter got extremely mad and said she wasn't allowed to do that and if I was buying beer inside, I had to pick it up inside because they were different prices. That didn't make sense to me at all. In the end, he reluctantly let me pay for the beer.

Commented on 05/09/2018

Thank you for your feedback. We are always greatful for helpful tips to help us improve. We apologize for the experience with the front counter and beverage cart. We are working hard to bring everything up to speed including the ability to accept credit cards on the course. We hope that you give us another chance to earn additional stars!

"Great Course, Great Rate"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/10/2018

Very pleasantly surprised with Hyde Park on 3/10/18. A fantastic and classic track that you don't get to see much of anymore; it has truly stood the test of time. Played as a twosome on a Saturday morning and we almost had the place to ourselves. Never had pressure behind us or waiting in front of us. Don't let anyone fool you; the greens were very firm and very smooth. Some thin spots in the fairways, but the quality of the greens for the rate was more than acceptable. We will be back.

Commented on 03/23/2018

Thank you for the great feedback! We are working hard to continue the improvement of the course including the fairways and tee boxes. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit!