Hyde Park Golf Club

Caddies: No

Dress code: Proper attire is required.
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard Welcomed

Championship 72 6468 yards 71.0 124
Regular 72 6153 yards 69.5 122
Ladies 73 5464 yards 71.3 119

Hyde Park Golf Club, built in 1925 by Donald Ross, is one of the oldest in Florida. In 1971, the golf course was purchased by former touring professionals Billy Maxwell and Chris Blocker, who have successfully restored it.

Rolling hills, gorgeous Spanish Oaks and towering Southern Pines make Hyde Park a lasting experience. A tour stop for the men's and women's professional golf tours in the 1940s and 1950s, the golf course gained a place in history during the 1947 Jacksonville Open. The great Ben Hogan took an 11 on the par-3 sixth, which became known as "Hogan's Alley." It has a deep-faced bunker to the right and water to the left.

Hyde Park Golf Club measures 6,468 yards from the longest tees for a par of 72. The course rating is 71, and it has a slope rating of 124.

Location is convenient to the city in the 'burbs worth the drive   Great for locals beginners seniors   Challenges include bunkers elevation changes water hazards   Great for drinks watching the game brunch

"Love to have seen it in its heyday!"

jelzey1967's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/24/2018

Early Donald Ross design with almost all of the green complexes above the level of the fairways. They are still bumpy from recent aerification and are correspondingly long and slow. I made a nice 3 on #6 and would have made up 8 shots on Hogan in '47! If they can continue to improve the greens; the layout, challenge, and the true beauty of Hyde Parks history may bring back its greatness.

"Hyde park trouble"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/19/2018

Pace of play was good. The greens are small which require you to hit good shots. The greens were bad because they were being treated and airraided. I will go back because I know greens will be better in a few weeks. One draw back the cart path road on 18th hole was very confusing with ropes and repair area. Overall good coures

"Great Design... Course could use some attemtion"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/08/2018

I remember playing junior tournaments here as a kid.. always enjoyed playing here and you can’t beat a Ross design.. course could use some improvement, I’m sure the winter had something to do with it... but the greens we unfortunately quite slow and bumpy... the fairways and tees were sparse in some areas but playable. Hopefully they get it back this summer to somewhat what it once was... would love to play here on fast greens!

Commented on 04/13/2018

Thank you for your honest feedback. You are correct in the fact that the winter was somewhat harsh for the course and it shows. As we move into spring weather, we have already laid the fertilizer to wake the course up for growth. We just aerated and the greens are bouncing back stronger than ever! We look forward to having you back to see all the great improvements that are taking place out here!

"Refreshing"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/04/2018

In 30+ years

wielding a chain saw to improve sunlight in needed areas? The OWNER!

Stopped at turn for coffee and saw the same owner -yes the course owner-paying for his hotdog! I have many many courses to choose from but if I play at all it will be here. Unpretentious genuinely friendly real people course that is continually and visually improving daily. Don’t pass it by

Commented on 04/13/2018

Thank you for your encouraging feedback! We are making great strides in trying to get this course back to it's full potential. We are all working torwards a common goal including the owners! We look forward to having you back.

"Nostalgic course design"

Tshackelford18000000's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/31/2018
Previously played Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

We chose this course because we had played here in years past. The layout is interesting, as it was designed by one of the original master course designers. Staff was friendly, but the restaurant closed early - 2pm??? They had a good add-on deal that included range balls, hot dog, and a drink for $5. The course could use a good amount of work overall, especially the greens and fairways - to bring it up to par with the amount paid to play this old, nostalgic track.

Commented on 04/13/2018

We appreciate your feedback and choosing Hyde Park over other options. We have changed our snack bar hours now that we are in the busy season so we apologize for the inconvenience you experienced. We are working very hard to improve the course in all areas especially the fairways and greens. We had a relatively harsh winter and the course showed that. As we move into the spring, we are already seeing great changes in all areas. We hope that you give us another chance to earn your recurring business!

"Be prepared."

tower2344's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/16/2018

In no particular order:

Fairway grass was cut way too low so there was no way to comfortably use an iron to get under the ball without taking a divot with it.

The holes were entirely too close together with no breathing room between fairways or tee/green.

The greens were very fast and had steep angles from the flag to where your ball was constantly rolling away.

Staff was friendly but most every other golfer I encountered on the course was abruptly rude or snyde or irritable, some even threatened to fight my very calm uncle when he kindly asked them why they cut in front of us on a hole. Another fellow accused me of stealing his ball whilst I was searching for mine when I never once touched his. Another grumpy player yelled at me for not yelling "fore" off of the first tee when I never even saw him around until he marched up to me with an angry tone. (This should have been indicative of how my round would turn out)

The pace of play wasn't staggered properly. There were constantly golfers ahead of us which slowed us down while there were players behind us remaining visibly upset and making us feel uncomfortable and rushed.

I would only play this course again on a very slow day without others around. A bad experience which put a bad taste in my mouth about this course. My golf partners would agree.

Commented on 03/23/2018

Thank you for your honest and concerning feedback. We take complaints very seriously and try to make them right as much as possible. As for the greens, we are cocluding the winter months and they are still a little slick. We are focusing on the greens to ensure improvement over the next year. We hope that you will give us another chance to make it right. Our afternoon/evening play is a little more relaxed and gives players a better chance to enjoy the course.

"Good for beginners"

will2b5's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/10/2018

This is a good beginner course so I would recommend it for them, but if you are an experienced golfer looking for a challenge you might be bored. My biggest issue with this course was the man who checked us in. He never cracked a smile and seemed to be technology challenged. At the turn we ran into the cart girl. I wanted to buy a 6 pack, but she only accepted cash. She told me I could go inside and pay for it and she would put the beer in our cooler. When I went inside the guy at the counter got extremely mad and said she wasn't allowed to do that and if I was buying beer inside, I had to pick it up inside because they were different prices. That didn't make sense to me at all. In the end, he reluctantly let me pay for the beer.

"Great Course, Great Rate"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/10/2018

Very pleasantly surprised with Hyde Park on 3/10/18. A fantastic and classic track that you don't get to see much of anymore; it has truly stood the test of time. Played as a twosome on a Saturday morning and we almost had the place to ourselves. Never had pressure behind us or waiting in front of us. Don't let anyone fool you; the greens were very firm and very smooth. Some thin spots in the fairways, but the quality of the greens for the rate was more than acceptable. We will be back.

Commented on 03/23/2018

Thank you for the great feedback! We are working hard to continue the improvement of the course including the fairways and tee boxes. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit!

sacco1111's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/03/2018

"Wide fairways, tough greens"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/25/2018

Beautiful historic course, wide fairways, conditions are fair however greens are very tough, you won’t see a single divot on them because of how hard they are, I hit a lot of fairways only to have the ball not stop but roll over behind the green, also greens are very small, so if you have an impecable short game you should do well, be mindful the greens are extra bouncy here. I paid almost $40, not worth $40, I would be ok with anything under $30 for this course.

Commented on 03/23/2018

Thank you for the great, honest feedback on Hyde Park! We apologize about the greens but we are working to correct the major issues with the greens, including the lack of divots. We hope you give us another chance over the summer to see the improvements and to earn your fifth star!

sacco1111's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/18/2018

"Fun course"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/17/2018

Visiting the area and wanted to get a round in. Glad I chose to play here. Challenging course layout and greens had some fun contours to play off of. Some diseased areas around the course and tee boxes slanted made for some interesting tee shots but all in all a cool course to play

Commented on 03/23/2018

Thanks for your great feedback. We are glad that you appreciated the layout of the course. We are working very hard to correct the issues that are obvious and slowly turning them around. Hopefully you will be back to see all the changes that are taking place!

"Fun Course, Average Condition"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/16/2018

Play here when I visit the city. Love the classic feel of the course, with the moss hanging from the trees. Fairways are hard and sparse which are tough to hit from, greens are slow, especially after playing better maintained courses. I very rarely play from preferred lies, but here it is a must, at least during the winter.. Knowing that going in makes it a fun, laid back round of golf which is nice.

Commented on 03/23/2018

Thanks for your honest and detailed feedback! We are working very hard to have this course in its best condition in years. Hopefully the next time you come out, you will notice a huge difference!

"Best kept secret"

jaxjag20's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/10/2018

The course has been making positive strides with a lot of new landscaping. It has been a hard winter on all the local courses so the fairways are what one would expect this time of year. The greens are rolling good and it offers a challenge Everytime you play. Been Hogan would have told you that.

Commented on 02/14/2018

Thank you for your positive feedback! We appreciate your patience while we transition into the growing season. We have a lot still left to do, but we are working very hard to get the course to its former glory! We look forward to earning that fifth star.

"Hyde Park"

hiramj's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/09/2018
First time playing Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

My first time laying the course. Love the layout. I know it's been a cold winter for Florida but some of the fairways were very bare and what I mean by that is not winter hibernating brown grass but bare as in no grass in spots (I only mention this because the course is very hyped). Probably could use a ranger on the course when it's busy as by #4 the course was backing up due to people playing holes out of sequence. All in all for twenty bucks I can not complain. I would like to see and play here in the spring. I think it will be beautiful.

Commented on 02/13/2018

I absolutely will play the course again. Like I said I can not wait to see it in the spring. I bet it is beautiful.

Commented on 02/12/2018

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your honesty and are working very hard to get the course to its full potential. With the unusual amount of rain we've had, we have not been able to conduct some of the maintenance we'd like, including poking the fairways to promote the growth. We are confident that this spring will be our best spring yet and hope that you will give us another chance to earn those last two stars!

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/08/2018

"Great Course but tee boxes"

Lottster70's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/26/2017

It’s a wonderful course but the par 3 tee boxes are horrible!

Commented on 01/26/2018

Thank you for your feeback! We are working on the tee boxes as they are a strong point of emphasis for us this year. We replaced 6 last year and will be doing the same this year. We hope that you will give us a chance to earn that fourth and fifth star!

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/24/2017

crockhill123's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/07/2017

"Surprised at how rough the course was"

Thom1265's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/06/2017

I’ve played here 25 times but not In about 8 months. Tee boxes we’re nothing but sand and unlevel. Greens were hit and miss but the fairways were cut to low and had massive dead spots. Couldn’t believe how hard the dirt was. They had put money into the bunkers and club house but not very enjoyable to play. Don’t think I’ll be back for a long time. Sad to see it like that

Commented on 01/26/2018

We apologize for your poor experience. We are working very hard to get the course back to its former glory. With the abnormally cold winter and heavy rain, the course has suffered. Once we get into growing season, you will see this course transform more into what you expect! Hopefully you will give us another chance to earn a higher rating!