Legends Golf & Resort - Moorland Course

Scorecard for Moorland
Blue M: 73.8/136 370 510 399 468 175 496 245 362 465 3490 393 463 459 145 343 574 270 194 424 3265 6755
White M: 70.8/132 345 484 358 450 150 480 220 328 448 3263 330 448 420 130 323 529 223 150 387 2940 6203
Green M: 67.6/125 301 416 326 415 137 458 185 300 400 2938 290 418 378 105 288 484 202 125 367 2657 5595
Red W: 67.9/116 253 393 270 347 122 382 130 274 354 2525 274 385 323 80 233 423 186 102 280 2286 4811

Year Built 1990
Architect P. B. Dye (1990)

New Favorite

Do not want to be over the top but this is my new favorite course. It is a position course. that does not demand you be a boomer and will penalize you at some points if you are. It has the most elevation changes I have seen at the beach. The course was in perfect condition and the facilities at Legends are awesome. Having played most of Myrtle Beach I can honestly say your money would be well spent a Moorland You can pay a lot more and get a lot less.

Great Layout

Great Dye layout! Course was in great shape overall. Tee boxes and fairways were very good. Had about 4 greens that had winter kill but on those greens they placed the flag in good locations on the green that didn’t have winter kill. Best surprise was being quoted $75 and getting a discount due to the winter kill on the greens. Would definitely play this course again. Bonus for having coolers on the golf carts.

Greens in bad condition

Legends' courses are usually in nice shape, however, I just played in a scramble tournament (May 12, 2018) on Moorlands and most of the greens were is poor condition. large bare areas and patchy grass spots. putting the greens was just luck... will the ball jump to the left or right, you never know. I'd recommend avoiding Moorland for a while. I don't know if there is a plan to fix the bare green problem.

Destination Golf

The Legends complex is a great base for a Myrtle Beach Vacation. Live here but refer visitors all the time. The courses are Highland type and well maintained. The practice facilities are abundent and the Ted Frick Classic Swing Academy is one of the South's best, and has a great Summer Program if you travel with kids.The location is central to Myrtle Beach. It is not an ad. This is what I tell my friends.

legends resort moorland course

i have been playing golf for 50 years and i just got back from a trip to myrtle beach with a dozen other players. i have never seen a course with 18 greens that bad before. to call them terrible is an insult to the word terrible. how a course could sell tee times to the public with greens that awful is beyond me. they ran out of green paint which they spray painted to even be able to call it a green. stay away!! after complaining they gave us rain checks. if they were worried about losing revenue now, ok they won. anyone who plays there in the next 3 months, or more will never return.....ever!! i gave it one star because 0 stars were not offered!!

ed7d865c-cb35-5524-a1eb-3836912c2da9
GCatMiddleBay
Commented On 05/14/2018

ello bob113. We apologize for your less than satisfactory experience on our course. We always strive to not only meet, but exceed our players' expectations. We are certainly taken aback by your review and a bit surprised, as most players have come off the course complimenting it. However, we would like to hear more about the specifics of your experience here. If you wouldn't mind giving us a call at 516-766-1880 at your earliest convenience, it would be greatly appreciated, as we welcome any opportunity for us to improve. We look forward to having the opportunity earning back your business.

Looks can be deceiving

First time playing any of Legends courses. First and foremost the free lunch was really good. Inside staff was nice and the overall design was good. That is where the positives stop. The biggest issue was the greens or lack there of. They were patchy and bare. The pace of play was unbearable. It almost took 6 hours to play 18 holes and that is not an exaggeration. And last but not least. The cart guys were extremely rude. Fussing about how much trash was left in the cart when returned (which was a couple wrappers and bottles) not trashed. I will not play at any legends courses again and will not recommend them to anyone.

u5753428
Commented On 04/26/2018

Great service-NOT-course being shut down and all the greens being redone this summer. Thanks for letting our group know? No rain checks needed-won't be back!!!

Pleasant surprise

Great challenging layout. Pete Dye design. Really enjoyed the course.

A fun course

I love this course. It has forgiving fairways to set up for your approach shots. These greens are some of the most challenging you will play. The majority of the greens have severe slopes and almost seem unfair. I really like them. The pin setter can make the course play 3-5 shots harder depending on where he puts them. Legends is known for long rounds, but if you play in late June and July you will avoid these.

Not my cup of tea

I've played this course multiple times in tournaments and I would not pay on my own to go back. It's much too long for my game. Above average golfers may enjoy it, however, due to many very challenging holes with extremely elevated greens. There are some forced carries, but not too many. The greens are really good.

Lower your expectations...

This place looks liked they are trapped in 1991.

Everything about this place is old and outdated. There was a HUGE outing, taking up all three courses, pushing every tee time back.

We weren't allowed to take a cart to the driving range.... Because that makes sense - nowhere! Huge place, I get it, but what a pain in the A for having to shuttle everyone over to it.

The cash/credit card ball machine was a complete joke, because it didn't work. This must have been the first ever credit card ball machine, because nothing at this place has been updated since the facility was built a thousand years ago... Luckily the grumpy outside ops guy gave us a bucket of balls, "but I shouldn't do this", he said..

"We do things different around here", is something else he said... But I let that one sit and didn't ask him what he meant, the silence was classic.

Our afternoon tee time went out late, and we made the turn in just under 3 hours! Yes, it almost took 3 hours to play 9 holes. Luckily - and I say that loosely, the food is included with your round, so we bailed on our twosome and went to eat. Food was fair at best.. Service was weird, definitely an "older" crew...

After lunch, we simply went out and teed off on one of the other courses - as we had no chance finishing on the Moorland course.

Moorland course - #2 par 5 - this is probably the worst hole EVER in golf. I have never seen such a thin sideways fairway from a teebox. Full carry over water, and if you miss left you are blasting right into another fairway - which is blocked by a huge slope so you are unsure if you just killed someone or not... Dumb.

We played the front 9 of the Heathland course for our "back 9".. This was a much better layout, minus the recovering greens from a recent summer punch...

Maybe I'll come back and play this course once I'm 50+, as that seemed to be 90% of the crowd that day..

I'd steer clear of this place...

One of the best challenging courses in Myrtle

every hole seemed to be unique and challenging; a thinkers course requiring multiple choices and course management; greens were good and fast with character; many memorable holes; the package with breakfast, lunch and two drinks was value packed.

a must play!

The PGA West of the East?????

Good conditions, great people on and off the course, but the course layout is a JOKE. If I was Pete Dye, I would disown P.B.Dye, Jr. ASAP. I played it when it opened years ago and hoped that it had mellowed or settled in over time. WRONG. Most Miniature Golf courses in Myrtle Beach are far superior to this layout. If on a golf trip, have a root canal that day

Good value for the money

We played the Moorland and the Heathland. Good golf courses, but the Moorland is definitly the best of the two. Good design and challenging. The staff is good, but they can't be as friendly as other courses, there's just too much golfers on the complex.

Conway, South Carolina