Otter/Bear at River Oaks Golf Plantation

River Oaks Golf Plantation in Myrtle Beach is home to 27 holes of championship golf. The course sprawls across a former nature preserve that sits just outside the Myrtle Beach city limits. In 2009, the course underwent a major renovation that removed almost 4,600 trees, burying the remaining stumps underneath mounds of dirt and sand. This opened up the layout while adding an interesting up-and-down to the course that it never had before. The holes are divided into three nines that provide different 18-hole combinations. Each of the nines is named after a different animal that makes up the course's resident wildlife: Fox, Otter, and Bear. River Oaks' Otter/Bear combination is the longest course of the three available options. You'll find water coming into play on nearly every hole and there are several strategically placed bunkers to be found along the greens.
River Oaks Golf Plantation
Yellow 72 5389 yards 66.1 111
Yellow (W) 72 5389 yards 67.1 113
Scorecard for Otter/Bear
Black M: 73.1/123 437 405 205 367 365 524 211 410 521 3445 460 523 377 165 409 387 341 223 547 3432 6877
Blue M: 70.7/121 415 364 186 339 340 498 198 390 498 3228 433 497 355 153 379 358 313 193 516 3197 6425
White M: 69.2/117 W: 70.2/119 365 312 148 313 305 467 160 366 473 2909 358 484 371 120 360 328 294 152 470 2937 5846
Yellow M: 66.1/111 W: 67.1/113 267 310 120 250 267 468 145 296 431 2554 348 456 326 110 328 305 285 120 435 2713 5267
Red W: 66.9/109 250 290 112 238 256 439 136 275 415 2411 342 440 310 80 312 288 275 115 428 2590 5001

Year Built 1988
Greens Champion UltraDwarf Grass
Architect Tom Jackson Craig Schreiner (2011)

Golf School Academy Yes - "The Golf School of Myrtle Beach"

Single Allowed Yes

Affordable Option

Nice course layout. Plenty long. Tricky greens. But fun. If the guy they had loading out clubs would not have acted like it was a 'Real Country Club' our day would have been almost perfect. So he received zero tips from any of the golfers around our group. I would however recommend anybody staying around the area to be sure to play River Oaks...

River oaks

Course in overall average conditions, pace of play was very slow until the pro sent us out on the back which had no players in it , thank him!!

Hurricane conditions may had had alittle impact but things like cart paths were terrible; otherwise course was ok, pricing was alittle high for golf day @ 50+ player

nice course good value

I really enjoyed this course. Nice layout and good conditions.

I had a great round of golf

I showed up 30 minutes early and I was allowed to golf immediately. I found the staff to be courteous, friendly and helpful from the moment I got there until I left. The maintenance crew does a great job taking care of the golf course.

Terrible greens

The fairways were decent , but the greens are in terrible shape. That was the reason 18 holes for 21.00. Ok to just practice but come looking to hone your putting

Greens suffered major winter kill. Other than that the course was in good shape.

Poor greens

The Fox course is probably the worst course I’ve ever played in my life. I’ve been playing for 20+ years and was floored of how the consciously take $32 bucks for that. Some greens are completely gone and they tried to make greens by mowing down a patch of grass the size of a kitchen table. Far as I’m concerned they stole 15 bucks from me today. The bear is in descent shape!!!

Bad greens

I have played this course many times before. This is the worst I have ever found it. I can't remember any greens that were without brown sections. One green was so bad that a temporary green was made in front with fairway grass. It was marked with a yellow flag meaning the back pin placement.

Greens need to develop but great golf

Yes, the greens took a beating this past winter. However the mgt is working hard to fix. Great value for the golf.

Vacation Golf

Good course to play for the for the price. Found out that the cold weather is what messed up all the greens on the courses in the area. This course stays busy from what I could see the few days while there.

2015 Golf Course of the Year??? #JOKE!!!

Not a puttable green. Worst greens I’ve seen this year.

I should’ve known something was up when I pulled up to the baggage drop area and the attendant just sat there while I put the car in park, got out, open the back of my car and lifted my golf bag out before he even got out of his chair. By time he started walking toward me, I’d already sat my bag on the bag stand. I was the only vehicle there and he looked directly at me when I pulled up.

The second laughable thing about this course was, the starter who wasn’t even on a starting hole met us where we got in our cart (baggage drop area). Needless to say he was carrying on a very important and in-depth conversation with the baggage guy about a friend who played the day before and what he’d shot. Then the started proceeded to tell us they had a temporary green on hole 5. After playing the first four holes we we’re anxious to see what this course deemed an unplayable green. Based on what we’d played so far and ended up playing coming in. Hole #5 green wouldn’t have been any worst. The temporary green was definitely at JOKE!

If you ONLY want to work on hitting your driver and irons for approach shots... Go For It. If looking to work on your chipping and putting. Go play at Putt Putt course somewhere on the Grandstand.

The thing that really made me and my friend really laugh about this course. We stood on a tee box getting ready to hit and the two guys cutting grass kept circling us on the tee box cutting around the tee box without ever stopping. So we just stood there until they finished looking at them in awe. They didn’t have a clue and proceeded to the next hole.

On top of that, on hole 9 me and my friend were in the middle of the fairway getting ready to hit to the green. When all of a sudden a ultiilty golf cart pulling a sand spreader top the green. Never slowed up and started spreading sand on the greeen. Made three passes on the green and then headed off somewhere else. I don’t know if the guy ever saw us or not but we were again at awe and just started laughing.

There was a Golf Assistant riding the course. We saw him three times. However, each time we saw him, he had the pedal to the medal and never let off the gas. What he was doing is still a mystery unless he was just cooling off by riding the course because from what we saw he was just riding the course.

I will say they’re still proud of their 2015 rating because they’re still flying the banner stating this was a 2015 Coruse of the Year. They should take that banner down now because it’s an embrassement due to the condition of the course right now.

Worst course I ever played.

Don’t play there. Would give 0 star if it let me. Greens were auful (brown, uncut)tee boxes manguled, nothing good. Layout is fine, but they put no effort in upkeep. Most bunkers didn’t even have racks. Even trying to get a hotdog at turn, but they said hurry up so you slow others down. Just a terrible experience. Can honestly say will never play there again!!!

Horrible Greens

If you don't care about putting confitionss, this course is OK. Two temp greens and all others were shoddy at best. Not recommended.

Lots of terrible greens Decent enough course

Played fox and bear. Course layout was ok. Nothing special but passable. Greens had lots of problems. Parts of a few greens were unplayable. Lost 1/2 of some greens. I expect it to affect the rest of 2018. Maybe beyond. When greens come back I would play it again

Love the course layout the greens are in sad shape they lost everyone they need to do something about that the best bet would be to shut the course down for little bit and try and get the greens come back

Valid dates: Oct 19, 2018 - Dec 20, 2018