Bear/Fox at River Oaks Golf Plantation

Golf school / academy: Yes - "The Golf School of Myrtle Beach"

Singles allowed: Yes
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard Welcomed

Back 72 6778 yards 72.5 126
Middle 72 6314 yards 69.7 118
Forward (W) 72 5133 yards 69.7 116

River Oaks Golf Plantation boasts three different nine-hole courses: the Bear, Fox, and Otter. Carefully carved from a former nature preserve, the courses sprawl across a scenic stretch of the Intracoastal with a convenient location that is just minutes from downtown Myrtle Beach. The nines, which are named after the different wildlife that call the Plantation home, each have a unique character and different set of challenges and they can be mixed and matched to create different 18-hole combinations. The Bear/Fox golf course provides a challenging test with a front nine where water comes into play on almost every hole, including an almost-island green on the par-3 fourth. The Fox nine, the shortest of the three at 3,346 yards, gives you a chance to recover your score with some risk-reward opportunities.

Location is convenient to the city near local attractions near the airport   Great for locals seniors beginners   Challenges include water hazards bunkers undulating greens   Great for drinks patio dining

u000005019461's avatar

Previously played Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

"Poor greens"

Josh1185170's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/17/2018

The Fox course is probably the worst course I’ve ever played in my life. I’ve been playing for 20+ years and was floored of how the consciously take $32 bucks for that. Some greens are completely gone and they tried to make greens by mowing down a patch of grass the size of a kitchen table. Far as I’m concerned they stole 15 bucks from me today. The bear is in descent shape!!!

"Bad greens"

wccc6020's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/17/2018

I have played this course many times before. This is the worst I have ever found it. I can't remember any greens that were without brown sections. One green was so bad that a temporary green was made in front with fairway grass. It was marked with a yellow flag meaning the back pin placement.

"Greens need to develop but great golf"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/13/2018

Yes, the greens took a beating this past winter. However the mgt is working hard to fix. Great value for the golf.

"Vacation Golf"

twlsn's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/12/2018
First time playing Used cart Hot weather

Good course to play for the for the price. Found out that the cold weather is what messed up all the greens on the courses in the area. This course stays busy from what I could see the few days while there.

"2015 Golf Course of the Year??? #JOKE!!!"

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/12/2018

Not a puttable green. Worst greens I’ve seen this year.

I should’ve known something was up when I pulled up to the baggage drop area and the attendant just sat there while I put the car in park, got out, open the back of my car and lifted my golf bag out before he even got out of his chair. By time he started walking toward me, I’d already sat my bag on the bag stand. I was the only vehicle there and he looked directly at me when I pulled up.

The second laughable thing about this course was, the starter who wasn’t even on a starting hole met us where we got in our cart (baggage drop area). Needless to say he was carrying on a very important and in-depth conversation with the baggage guy about a friend who played the day before and what he’d shot. Then the started proceeded to tell us they had a temporary green on hole 5. After playing the first four holes we we’re anxious to see what this course deemed an unplayable green. Based on what we’d played so far and ended up playing coming in. Hole #5 green wouldn’t have been any worst. The temporary green was definitely at JOKE!

If you ONLY want to work on hitting your driver and irons for approach shots... Go For It. If looking to work on your chipping and putting. Go play at Putt Putt course somewhere on the Grandstand.

The thing that really made me and my friend really laugh about this course. We stood on a tee box getting ready to hit and the two guys cutting grass kept circling us on the tee box cutting around the tee box without ever stopping. So we just stood there until they finished looking at them in awe. They didn’t have a clue and proceeded to the next hole.

On top of that, on hole 9 me and my friend were in the middle of the fairway getting ready to hit to the green. When all of a sudden a ultiilty golf cart pulling a sand spreader top the green. Never slowed up and started spreading sand on the greeen. Made three passes on the green and then headed off somewhere else. I don’t know if the guy ever saw us or not but we were again at awe and just started laughing.

There was a Golf Assistant riding the course. We saw him three times. However, each time we saw him, he had the pedal to the medal and never let off the gas. What he was doing is still a mystery unless he was just cooling off by riding the course because from what we saw he was just riding the course.

I will say they’re still proud of their 2015 rating because they’re still flying the banner stating this was a 2015 Coruse of the Year. They should take that banner down now because it’s an embrassement due to the condition of the course right now.

"Worst course I ever played."

jmosnot's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/10/2018

Don’t play there. Would give 0 star if it let me. Greens were auful (brown, uncut)tee boxes manguled, nothing good. Layout is fine, but they put no effort in upkeep. Most bunkers didn’t even have racks. Even trying to get a hotdog at turn, but they said hurry up so you slow others down. Just a terrible experience. Can honestly say will never play there again!!!

"Horrible Greens"

rwieszczyk's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/09/2018

If you don't care about putting confitionss, this course is OK. Two temp greens and all others were shoddy at best. Not recommended.

"Lots of terrible greens Decent enough course"

petesivillo's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/06/2018

Played fox and bear. Course layout was ok. Nothing special but passable. Greens had lots of problems. Parts of a few greens were unplayable. Lost 1/2 of some greens. I expect it to affect the rest of 2018. Maybe beyond. When greens come back I would play it again

"Love the course layout the greens are in sad shape they lost everyone they need to do something about that the best bet would be to shut the course do"

Buckeyes27's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/03/2018

Love the course layout the greens are in sad shape they lost everyone they need to do something about that the best bet would be to shut the course down for little bit and try and get the greens come back

"Great Course"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/27/2018
First time playing Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

This course was awesome and beautiful. The staff was super friendly and overall my expierence was great. I actually played this course 3 times while on vacation. Can't say enough good things about it.

"Course conditions"

Mbrennan4's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/22/2018

I think the course is a nice set up and is worth the price. My only issue is the course condition. The greens were in awful shape. There was multiple holes where I wouldn’t even refer to them as greens. It was more of like putting on mud and concrete. I wish the staff would have mentioned something about them attempting to fix them. Or at least have mentioned it like other courses have in this area.

"In real rough shap"

Max4415013's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/22/2018

The greens are not greens and are nearly unputtable. Really bad shape and would not think about coming back anytime soon

"Fun course for all skill levels."

robertdecarlo60's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/20/2018

Friendly satdf. Starter was very informative and provided a good course orientaion for first time golfers. The course was in good condition and I would recommend to friends.

"Worst “greens” ever"

Jeff5791853's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/18/2018

The greens on this coarse was beyond horrible. You were either putting in sand or dirt. There was maybe 15% green and even that was sandy! Close down 9 holes at a time and fix it, if not it’s not worth playing no matter how cheap you sell it

"Over priced"

65Hillie's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/18/2018

I realize the winter took a toll on a lot of courses but most have either closed to take care of their greens or have discounted their rates. Some of the courses closing are in better shape then River Oaks. Very dissatisfied probably will not go back.

"Bad Year"

Joeceevt's avatar
Plays:  Once every three months

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/13/2018

I think the course was horribly affected by a bad winter... that being written, the greens looked bad (and to be fair, they had just been aired). Still, course was completely saturated 24 hours after good rain, and greens were dirt and sand. Will not play again. Course next door looked fabulous. Grass will be greener on the other side of the fence.

"Friendly staff"

Kichy33's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/12/2018

Although courses nearby were struggling to stay open because of green failure, this course was open and did what they could to keep the Myrtle beach golfing experience open to the public!

I was very pleased with the friendly staff and the way the course played!

"bad greens"

lluedke's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/07/2018

I have played his course many times and this is the worst that I have ever seen the greens. Mostly dry and sandy. Must have aerated recently but some greens had no grass. Bear 9 was closed. I always liked this course because of the layout and large undulating greens, but it might be a long time before I play here again. Not sure if the greens will ever come back.