Lakes/Cypress at Arrowhead Country Club

Greens: Bent
Fairways: Bermuda

Singles allowed: Yes
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard Welcomed

Arrowhead Country Club represents South Carolina's first Ray Floyd signature course. As design consultant, Floyd has worked closely with architect Tom Jackson to design this premium 27-hole layout. Each nine hole course has a distinct feel all its own.

The Cypress Course winds through a pristine Carolina hardwood wetland, culminating in three of the most beautiful holes you will find anywhere. The Lakes Course is challenged by strategically placed water hazards.

"good value, worth a visit"

u000002047547's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 7/22/2013

We came to Myrtle Beach for the week and I got to play four courses, Arrowhead, Avocet, Mrytlewood/Palmetto, and Grande Dunes Resort Club. All the courses were in great shape, although some had a little standing water in areas that really didn’t come into play. Arrowhead staff were very kind and receptive, the course was well maintained. We played the waterway and cypress layouts. Waterway was quite nice and challenging, while the Cypress we found to be a little gimmicky, lots of sharp doglegs and short holes, not nearly as fun. All were in good shape. Avocet was also in good shape and the biggest complaint I had were the greens. I felt that they were in not in great shape and much slower than I remember. It made judging chips and putts just that much more difficult. The range balls cost a fortune and you only get like 20 balls, where they were completely complimentary at Arrowhead. If you want a really good course on the cheap, play Palmetto at Myrtlewood. $39, and the course was in good shape, $10 got you about 70 balls on the range, not a bad warm up. Very interesting layout and the course was in great shape. We played the white tees, about 6500 yards, and I didn’t think it played nearly to that length. I have to say though the Resort Club course at Grande Dunes was worth the money, I am so glad I played. The course was in great shape, the greens were fast, but very predictable, from pitching, chipping and putting. Putts ran about as true as you can expect, and it was all about how well you read the greens. That is one course I would definitely go back for. We played the Blues (6700) which was a bit long for me, but still managed to get around pretty respectably.

"3 Nines to choose from at Arrowhead"

JackStraw6's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/29/2018
First time playing Used cart

And each one of them is a gem. This facility is top notch. A bunch of courses got hit hard this winter and are in bad shape, yet still charge premium prices. This place is in fantastic shape tee to green and is moderately priced for down here. Lots of eye candy with plenty of water and shot making holes. Definitely recommended.

"Absolutely perfect!"

Rgreener77's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/28/2018

This was our second annual trip to MB and the 16th course played and by far the best, maybe the best i've ever played anywhere. Not a detail was left behind. From the tee-boxes, to fairways, to the greens all lush. Even the grass at the driving range was lush! We are making a special trip in a few weeks and the main reason is to play this course again!

"Best Day Ever!!!"

Hooverthedog's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/28/2018

Not only was the course in perfect condition but we happened to pick the day to play during the Myrtle Beach Airshow. I brought out a group of 24 and everyone wanted to go back the next day. During the back nine, pace slowed way down as the Blue Angles were flying just over the trees for the entire round! It actually got tough to putt not knowing if you were going to get buzzed.

There were a couple of greens that have the algae problem from the harsh winter but found over my five days they were the best (only played best courses on the grand strand). If the only complaint I heard was they were out of onions at the condiment bar at 5 pm they must be doing something right.

Staff was amazing! This was my 8th time playing as we don't play the same courses every year but have a feeling it will be from now on. Most of the group was so impressed they played the 3rd nine (Lakes) and said that was even better than the other two. Thanks again and see you next year.

"Still a Must Play"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/24/2018

Still a MB must play venue, the faciliy and course were in very nice condition andwell worth consideration for play.

"Great Place to Golf"

OhioHab's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/05/2018

Play all 27 holes, every year, are group comes to Myrtle. Range excellent, short game area, nice putting green. Staff friendly, food is good too. The three nines, were in good shape, even for the bad winter in that area. Courses are challenging, but fair. The layout of the courses, are outstanding.

"Great if you like 5-6 hour rounds"

LouLoomis's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/03/2018

*This review is only for the Cypress 9*

Ok, here's the news. Came here to knock out a quick 9 as a twosome with a raincheck. The spring break season is in full effect, but usually we can still get out on courses down here without getting paired up and that's what they let us do when we showed up. Awesome, right? Well, no. In fact, it turned out to be downright miserable due to the fact they let some golf academy come here and play every Monday or Tuesday. That's fine, but they could at least let others know that's what's happening so they can play somewhere else and come back another day instead of just trying to make money. Be upfront and honest and you'll get returning customers. Trying to sell out your course without telling people what to expect is bush league...punch your greens? Let me know, I'll come back later. Leagues? Let me know, I'll come back another day.

Basically, we sat for over 10 minutes waiting to tee off because the jokers in front of us thought they could drive the green, when in fact they hit into the woods, hit 2 balls, etc. Watched this nonsense from behind the first tee, turned around to try to get out on another one of the 2 9s, but both were just as packed so we went back to the tee box and figured we'd easily play through.

That never happened, as these guys knew nothing about course etiquette or pace of play. Took 20 mins to play the first hole, waited again on the 2nd tee so long I had to call the pro shop to have a ranger sent out. The guy working was completely indifferent to helping me out. He finally reluctantly said he'd send a ranger, but never did. Took about 2 hours and 40 minutes to play 9 holes, which is outrageous. Most courses don't put up with that garbage - 4 hours 15 mins to 4h 30 is the normal time you're expected to finish in (and even that is too long for a round). I told this to a different guy in the pro shop after we finished and he didn't care anymore than the guy I talked to on the phone. Management needs to take a cue from other courses on how long rounds take and how to treat customers. Even if they do, I won't be coming back to play here, especially with the abundance of other fine courses here.

The overall experience is only deserving of 1 star, but because it was in pretty nice shape and the greens were rolling pretty true, and because it's a pretty nice layout, I have to give it one more to be fair.

Ricky8819510's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/03/2018

Arrowhead was in excellent condition. Layout was very fair and challenging. Would play again without hesitation.

"Good course"

realasudxgift's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/13/2018

First time at Arrowhead. The course is relatively tight. Not a lot of room on the fairways. And their are many doglegs. Overall it’s a nice course and fun to play. Tees and fairways were nicely over seeded. The greens rolled really smooth and were a good pace. I played the Lakes and Waterway 9s with a really friendly 2 some I was placed with. It was cart path only and really wet but we still finished in right at 4 hours. The staff was nice and friendly. And I really enjoyed the day. Definitely on the list of courses in the area to play again.

"Arrowhead never disappoints"

rkimbrell's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/27/2017
Previously played Used cart Wet weather

Played a practice round prior to the 2017 Myrtle Beach World Amateur at Arrowhead. We played the Cypress/Waterway 9s. The course was in fantastic shape. It was wet because of all the rains and the course sits in a pretty low area but still the course was very playable.

The staff at Arrowhead is always first class. They are friendly, helpful and always have great attitudes towards customers.

"Good condition terrible layout"

Mark1474038's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/03/2017

Read reviews saying how nice the course is so played there today. Must say this, condition was good but the layout is terrible. Most every hole on Cypress and Lakes are doglegs with water. There's nothing fun about playing a course where you can hit driver on maybe 5 holes. I'm sorry but pat 5's where you have to hit 4 irons off the tee is not fun golf to me. I've played a lot of courses in the Myrtle Beach area and this is one of the worst thought out layouts. I don't mind the water but dogleg after dogleg after dogleg is dumb. Go to Tidewater, will cost you a little more it that course is beautiful. My recommendation, get rid of one of the 9's and straighten out some of the holes otherwise don't waste your time and money.

Course Layout: Poor

"hidden gem"

big1515's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/26/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather

Arrowhead of late has been in tremendous condition and the pace of play is exceptional. Since they have changed the greens ball runs true and fast. If you wish to play certain 9s you better tip the starter/bad person.

"Spring golf trip starts at Arrowhead"

Richie4326581's avatar
Boston Advisor

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/10/2017

This was the first round we did in Myrtle and was probably the best overall course we played!! Played all 3 nine courses and was blown away. The staff was so helpful, went out on time at the cypress side. This side was so neat. Many memorable holes, water on most holes and you really need to think ur way around. Other 2 nines were also fantastic!! Course conditions A++++. This will be our First stop next time we come. Highly recommend!!

"Very nice, but on the short side..."

MillerOutdoors's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/15/2017
First time playing Used cart Cold weather

Played the Lakes and Cyprus 9's. Front was 2.5 hours due to a crawling 4some ahead, but back 9 was betteer after pro shop let us play a different 9 than was originally planned to get away from the slowpokes. Great condition. Great layout. Will definitely play again. Surprisingly it was a fairly short course, but that was good because it was cold and fairly steady 15-20 mph winds, and the ball wasn't going anywhere. If you play on nice warm day play a longer set of tees than you normally play or you'll have a lot of wedges into greens. Still though, it's a good test. Fairways rated a 9, greens were a 9 and rolled at probably a 9 on the stimp. Sand traps weren't raked since the rain the day before and were still hard packed, so although you could tell they had good sand have to rate the traps a 4. Overall this is a high end, shortish course that should really appeal to the average golfer looking for above average conditions where they can shoot their handicap but still feel a good challenge. Range balls were provided at no charge and the practice putting green was very nice.

"Cypress/lakes"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/01/2016

Arrowhead did not disappoint...superb layout with very picturesque holes and the greens rolled smooth and fast...by far the best course we played on the trip..highly recommend!

"A very nice experience and good value"

Canives's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/23/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 9 holes Good weather

We played the course twice during the week and enjoyed both rounds. the layout gave us many different looks and we were able to hit many different shots. the greens rolled fairly quick and were true. the practice area was in good condition and the balls were included in the fee. We had a junior with us that played free both days. replays within 7 days are discounted. we will play it every time we visit MB. Many tee options.

"highly recommend"

tres0627's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/11/2015
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

very good value here. course very nice and facility.

"3 to play"

JackStraw6's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/10/2015
First time playing Paired up at course Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

This facility has 3 nines.I played The Lakes and Cypress. Not extremely long, I play the whites.As with most courses I've played in MB it's in good shape. Greens were fast and rolled true. You'll need to hit it straight here though as there are bunkers that come into play on most holes.I found it to be a challenge and I'll bring the boys here for a round.

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"Great Course"

bruce107's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/15/2015

Very challanging, well setup, condition of course is beautiful, staff very knowledable, recommend this course to anyone

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"High Volume Golfing"

Bobemac's avatar
Texas Advisor

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/10/2014

We got an early tee time to avoid the Army golfers but sadly the first group out was so slow.<br/> This course is very popular and it was having a banner day. They had sold more than 250 tee times before noon.<br/> The course itself has matured nicely. Trees and plantings fill the sides of the fairways.<br/> Most of the holes here are fairly easy with most par fours reachable in two.<br/> The greens and tees are in amazing shape, some of the fairways have difficult uneven side hill lies.<br/> We played the Lakes and the Waterways nines and they do bring water into play a lot.<br/> You should be able to handle the narrow fairways and stay out of trouble if you hit a straight drive.<br/> This is a well kept fun course and they do have a popular rating among travelers and locals.

"Course was in good shape, especially the greens, which were fast and true. Layout is interesting, challenging and fairly scenic."

LTCBOBRET's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 8/7/2013

Assistant pro who checked us in was not cordial or friendly. Very cold. Fortunately, the nature of the course offset that experience. The course is well maintained, challenging, but fair.