2.6

Style Links

Year Built 1990
Architect Tom Doak (1990)

Restaurant

Clubhouse, Banquet Facilities

Course was in good conditions, greens fast.
First time playing this course, I’ll look forward playing it again.

Great fun on the links

Heathland @ the Legends is a beautiful links style course.
Course plays radically different depending on the wind. Large greens in perfect condition with plenty of bunkers to challenge your attack angle.
Excellent course, great clubhouse with complimentary breakfast

Awesome Course! Waiting for Carts and Slow Play a Problem

I bring a group of 20-30 guys to the beach every year. This is our 19th year. We've played almost every course at Myrtle Beach, but this was our first time playing the Legends courses. I will tell you why I loved the courses, but don't recommend going there until they get tee times and cart situation fixed. If you don't mind waiting for carts, you will enjoy the golf.

The reason I would NOT recommend The Legends is because they overbook the course and don't have enough carts. Our tee time on Friday, Oct. 11th was 12:20 at Heathland. I had 20 golfers with me ready to hit the course. The problem was...no golf carts! Around 12:55, 35+ minutes after my guys were pestering me about when we would tee off, the first carts finally rolled in. The excuse on Friday was 1 group was late for their tee time and held up the entire course. The problem is the same issue happened on Oct. 12th at Parkland. It was only 25 minutes after our tee time this day, but so annoying that most of my guys told me not to go back to Legends again. I agreed. We had also hired transportation back and forth each day to the course. Both days, our driver had to wait for us to finish due to the delays earlier in the day, which we had to pay for. Now about the course.

First off was Heathland. What a great course! I would love another shot at this gem. Awesome holes, reachable par 4's, hidden traps...it had it all. Greens were HUGE and in perfect condition. It would rank in the top 10 courses at Myrtle Beach for me. #2 is a very cool par 4, #7's green was a lot of fun. Overall, a great course. At Heathland,, the cart guys were very good and tried to keep my group calm while we waited. Kim, the photographer was awesome and kept us smiling. Jim, the starter, was very helpful and informative. Half our group went off the front, the other half off the back. The groups that went off the back took over 3 hours to play the first 9 holes! The second 9 was faster, but still took 5:30 to play. Not good!

The second day, Oct. 12th, we played Parkland. The Starter at Parkland was great. Cart girl was awesome. The course was another gem. I liked Heathland a little better, but this course was another great track. Huge greens in excellent shape, challenging holes...lots of fun!

The second day at Parkland came with the same experience, but with a twist. We waited another 25 minutes past our original tee time. But the twist this day was the A-Hole of a Cart Guy. I didn't catch his name, but he was wearing a West Virginia hat. His job is to lift a golf bag 5 feet and place it on the carts. He made numerous comments to my guys about not getting tips. He even made a comment about one of my guys not being a true WV person because he didn't tip him. So, let's get this straight...I have 20 guys waiting patiently 25 minutes after the tee time for carts and the cart guy is harassing us about tips the entire time. The guys in my 4some gave him $12. This guy should be fired!

The bar staff was awesome and food was delicious. 2 Free beers and Lunch included each day was very nice. The snack bar lady was quick with service and did a great job.

I hate the fact that my group can't recommend such an awesome property. Hopefully management reads the review and makes some changes. Fix your cart/tee time issues and you get 5 out of 5 stars.

Fairways and Greens to ya,

Commented on 02/09/2020

My group of 12 had the same overbooking and late start both times we've played at the Legends complex. The Heritage Club doesn't have those problems.

Took Forever to play

The course allowed a 5 some to play in front of us. I had played the course 2 days before on August 22nd, then again on August 24. There was supervision on an on course ranger the first time I played but not on the second round on the 24th.
It took 5 hours and 15 minutes to play the 18 holes and we teed off before 8am. Totally ridiculous. I won't be back.

Slow

The course itself is outstanding. The Pro shop staff and restaurant staff were outstanding. The pace of play was excruciatingly slow. Starters were pleasant at the tee but there was no visible attempt to maintain reasonable pace. Saw and heard several groups that were likely keeping the beer industry in the black. One guy stumbling onto the green.

Waited several minutes on every shot of every hole. Groups are scheduled every 8 minutes on both front and back. Way too many people on the course at one time, given that for many fellow golfers, the game can be challenging. I understand the business is to maximize play for profit, however this certainly left us feeling like cattle being herded through their profit machine.
Nice practice facilities, however it is about 200 yards from bag drop, and you can't take your cart. Balls are at a separate building where you buy a 35 ball bucket for $5.
Nice putting and chipping greens. The putting green is on a different side of the clubhouse , that again you can't take your cart.
This and the Parkland course, we played in the morning were in great shape and very nice.
I would love to play these courses again, but not in the current way of managing pace of play. 5 and 1/2 hours for a round of golf with a cart is unexcusable.

Very playable

Played Moorland in the morning and Heathland was our second 18. We had to turn in our cart, which to me is weird because we weren’t leaving the course. We found out they only have 300 carts for all three courses. That’s insanely low. We took fully advantage of their special as well. Breakfast, lunch and 2 drinks. That’s awesome

Heathland is so much more playable than Moorland. It’s still pretty wide open, but the greens are flatter and much more receptive. We were getting frustrated at the greens on Moorland so Heathland was much more fun. There’s a nice mix of short par 4s and a few long ones. No two holes are the same so you don’t really get bored. The pace of play was tough once the front and towards the end of the back, but honestly people who play resort courses should expect a 5 hour round. The conditions were great even though there’s been a ton of rain the past week and even today

Nice course if you’re patient

We golfed here on our second day of a 4 day golf trip. Arrived 2 hours early to check in , hit some range balls and eat lunch before our round. Check in at the pro shop was very easy. Friendly staff got us our lunch/drink vouchers and our passes for the starter. I attempted to buy a range bucket and was told to purchase them via cash/card at the range. There is a shuttle available to the range. We didn’t see a driver in sight. They seemed to be very understaffed at the bag drop so we walked. It’s not terribly far. The credit card machine was not working and there is no one to give change. Took us some time to get that sorted out. Fast forward to lunch. Nice lunch selections. Waitress was very nice and the food came out very very fast. We walked over to the bag drop 15 minutes before our round and it was chaos. This is where my 2 stars for staff friendliness comes in. It wasn’t that they weren’t friendly. They just weren’t helpful. Apparently somehow they were out of carts. We kept being told we were the next group however carts would show up and they’d send another group off. We teed off 30 minutes late. I’m pretty patient however this 30 minutes would prove to be important considering we played hole 18 in the dark. The course conditions were good. There was a fair amount of rain the day before and it dried up pretty good. Open for the most part. I really don’t have any negatives for the conditions of the course. The pace of play was awful. We averaged waiting on the tee box 10 minutes or so every hole. No marshalls in sight after the 5th hole. Beer cart girl was very nice but never saw her after 2 o clock. We booked an afternoon round so it would be warmer but like I said before the sun went down and we played 18 in the dark so perhaps I’d have a better review if I played in the morning. If you’re patient you’ll love this course. I’m not sure how they ran out of carts but from reading reviews logistics are not the forte of this resort.

Great complex

My wife and I played here and had a wonderful experience. Along with your green fee your price also includes two beers, breakfast and lunch. For the price you can’t beat this course... Heathland is wide open... I don’t think I hit a single ball in the water, which may be a first for me-haha. We had a great time and look forward to playing their other courses.

Wide Open, Breathe Easy

Thoroughly impressed with this place. Upon paying a reduced rate of 40.00, I was given a voucher for 2 drinks, breakfast & one lunch menu item. Great value.

Heathlands course is wide open, true links style. Grip it and Rip it and no need for much strategy to get around this track. Nice white sand bunkers were eye candy, the greens had been aerated weeks before, and it was noticeable, but they rolled excellent. Couple holes had trees, other than that WIDE fairways.

Would love to check out Parklands & Moorlands.

Heathland on Legends

I have played this course a number of times. Today the course was wet from the previous days rain. The greens still have pit marks from the previous weeks aeration. The course was cart path only and it was super wet. The greens were still rolling pretty good in spite of the ""Price Is Right Plinko" holes. You will have a good time on this course.

Legends - great complex Heathland very nice

Have played all the Legends courses over my years of coming to the Myrtle Beach World Amateur.
For the most part, it has been a great experience.
We got a super deal on playing Heathland which included breakfast buffet, round of golf with cart, 2 drinks, and lunch off the menu. Super Super deal.
Cart Path Only - lot of wet fairways but course was in excellent shape. Moderate challenge and fun to play. Pretty much everything is out in front of you if you hit the ball in the right places. Their booklet they give you helps guide you around the course which is great.
The staff at Legends is friendly and helpful.

Play Someplace Else

Arrived 2 hours early. (keep in mind its 94 degrees).
we asked the starter if we could go off early (we were the only ones at the bag drop and thats for 3 courses) he said no.
we checked our bags with him and asked to hit range balls.
oh by the way, the driving range is about 150 yds away.
they would not let us take a cart so we
had to wait 15 min for them to tote us over to driving range. we had to hold our bag on the back of a 6 man golf cart!...in the heat.
be sure and take cash to range to get balls...card reader broke.
we hit balls for about 30 min. couldn't take it anymore because of the heat.
we waited 15 min for a return cart to pick us up and take us back, in the heat!, but unless someone was going to hit range balls they weren't coming back to pick anyone up.
we ended up WALKING back with our bags all that distance and dropped our bags back off with the starter.
keep in mind its 50 yds from starter to club house.
now we walk back to clubhouse to cool off. about 75 golfers come in to the clubhouse from the course all at once and there all comparing scores and going over things...so u know it was some kind of a tournament or outing. we inquire about that with the guy behind the counter but hey says they dont do outings?!?
(im thinking the courses are probably cleared after all these golfers came in all at once)
its about an hour and 45 min now and we walk back to the starter. to our surprise, theres now about 40 golfers waiting. 20 more minutes and we finally are given a cart (AS A TWOSOME) and sent to the first tee.
course looks great as 98% of all myrtle beach courses do.
theres no one to be seen.
EXCEPT FOR.....the mowers!!!!
they mowed around us not stopping for us to tee off. they mowed on our approach shot never stopping and mowed while we putted. AND KEPT MOWING! by the 3rd hole i was ready to head back to the clubhouse to complain when it looked as though they were going elsewhere. i put the flag in and the tractor with the big blower starts going around the green and blows grass all over me, my cart and my clubs! Unbelievable!
we play 4 and rolled up to number 5 and HIT THE WALL! we see 2 sets of foursomes in front of us and for the next 5 hours (in the heat) we waited between 5 and 10 minutes every shot!
it had been a few years since we played there, and we will never go back.
there's too many other courses at myrtle beach to have to put up with what we put up with.
now if i thought it would have done any good i would have complained to someone. from the guys in the pro shop to the starters to even the girls at the bar, they made me feel as though i was a bother. i even said hi to the woman who was a receptionist for the courses and she blew me off.
i just chalked it up to experience and left quietly.
There's 3 courses at "the legends" and from my conversations with others after our rounds, the other 2 courses ( which are started all at the same starter station ) were exactly the same.
DONT WASTE YOUR TIME!

Change of pace

One of the great things about the legends complex is how different the courses are. Parkland is right next to Heathland and they dramatically different. Greens were faster at Heathland and H was wide open, whereas P is tree lined. As always, pace of play isn't great at Lefends, but if you can accept that, you'll have fun. What do you wants for $50 and breakfast, lunch and beverages? Heathland's challenge is your short game. You've got to chip to the correct area of huge greens and putt well. Good fun.

Solid Legends Course

As usual with Legends courses, great value for price including cart, breakfast, lunch, and two beers. Also was a wide open course, good for taking a guest who has not played in a while. Will be back.

Boring......

Not particularly challenging course. Boring, actually.

We never experienced a wait on any hole, we set our own pace of play which is typically waaay under 4 hours. We did maintain a visual on the group ahead so they never got away from us. However, the group behind us were running up our butts at every opportunity, although they never hit into us. When we met up with them at a par 3, they said the group behind them were pushing them.
Apparently, the staff at the start pushes as many groups out as they can, as you've read in other reviews.
We still finished our round in 3.75 hours, so why the push????

As for the startng que...... we arrived about 50 minutes before our tee time and were not given one of the many empty carts. We were told they will call us 15 minutes before our tee time. Everyone just sits around with their bags. It was about a 500 yd walk to the range, where i paid $5 for 30 balls. There are two hitting locations but only one was open and it was so packed, people on top of other people, im suprised nobody got hit by a club. The range was not a flat deal with pins placed but a hilly, rolly field. Couldn't tell my distances at all.
Then another 500 yd walk with full bag, back to wait fir our cart/tee time. Our names were called and we were loaded up and immediately told to go. Where???
Follow the signs, they said.
Got to 1st tee box and there were 3 groups ahead of us.........

One more thing. The staff's attitude gave me the impression we were being 'allowed' to play their course.

Won't be back.

worst customer service ever

Worst customer service ever. The greens were punched and nobody ever told us!! We found out on the 1st green. Turns out other 2 courses weren't punched and they didn't tell us! Our cart ran out of batteries. It was awful. It's too bad because I love Doak's golf course, but I'll never go back.

Poor weather

What Rain??!!

Our round started with sunny skies and actually rather nice temperatures for January. Our group had the first tee times of the day, so the pace of play was fine. We did have a 15 to 20 min wait at the turn due to slow play on the back nine. Then, the weather turned. Holes 10 and 11 was a drizzle, the rest was a downpour. The course at first handled the rain very well, but by 16, the weather won. Overall, the course was in great shape. The tee boxes were fine, the fairways full of thick dormant bermuda and the greens were firm and true, with no bad spots to be seen. A very good experience with the golf and all the people involved with the course and resort. Definitely recommended.

Very Slow Play

This was my 3rd time playing the Legend courses with two different groups. I played in October 2014, April 2015, and October 2015. I won't go back again due to the very slow play. They pack too many golfers on the courses with no regard to the players as long as the course is making money. Each time I've played the Legends we have had to wait on every hole. We attempted play two rounds and was backed up more than an hour for our second round. Needless to say we didn't finish before dark howedver the course managers didn't care because they had already gotten our money. They offered a rain check however what good is this when you've traveled many miles to get there. They also offered to get us on at the Heritage Course which was about an hour away, what a joke; how was we going to make it there and complete a round if we couldn't complete one at the course we were playing. Overall The Legends was a 3 times "Bad Experience" and they will never get anymore of my money. There are far too many other places to play golf.

Always solid and never disappoints

Have played here and number of times over the years and stayed here on buddies golf trips fantastic Sillinti lots of great options best practice facility in the grand Strand area. Close to lots of amenities and lots of other course options terrific place to make your homebase for your golf trip

4.0820117647