Year Built 1966
Fairways 419 Bermuda grass overseeded with rye in the cold season
Greens Tifdwarf Bermuda Grass
Architect Arthur Hills (1992) George Cobb (1966) Spencer Holt (1992)

Bar, Snacks, Restaurant

Clubhouse

Walker Friendly Layout

Friendly and efficient staff, handy range and short game practice facility, walker friendly. The layout was challenging enough and mostly what you see is what you get, not many or any blind shots...and water penalty areas were marked with checkered flags. Still damp from recent heavy rains so we played lift clean and place. Greens were good and true. Played in 4 hours, only waited on last 3 holes. Want to try the sister course Palmetto next!

Fairways were just over seeded so no roll. Greens were great

Pinehills

We had a great time at pine hills..the new greens were in great shape, putted smooth and with a nice speed. layout was very good, not overly demanding but not easy either. overall our group was very happy with the price and conditions and will return next year.

Perfect day

My son and I played here on a Monday morning. I am a high handicapper and my son is just starting out so we’re slow, but honestly the group in front of us was so slow that we fit right in and were waiting on them at every tee. The course layout is very easy for my level of ability. The greens and fairways were awesome. The only negative thing I can think to say is that the bunkers were in very poor condition. Every one I saw was waterlogged and basically unplayable. Luckily I didn’t hit into any of them anyway, but my son did twice and so he just picked up his ball each time and dropped it on the green. I’ll definitely be coming back to this beautiful place.

Good Course nice layout

played while on vacation March 22nd, 2018.
Course was in good shape for this time of year considering the weather recently. Played as a Single at 8am. Played Pine hills started on the back. Nice layout pretty straight forward holes a couple of holes where shot from tee need to be accurate. Greens were running slow, however they havent came in all the way.
Cart girl runs around the course the whole time not much of a selection. driving range, putting area.
i guess my only complaint really is as playing as a single when you make the turn they make you wait until everyone is already gone. Had to wait 45 minutes to start back up since they use split tee times. then play really slowed down, took 1 hour as a single to play the back nine. took 3 hours 15 minutes to play the front.
overall good course will play again.

Not worth the price for the condition of course

The course was in terrible condition. The rough was non existent and like concrete so your ball just kept rolling into the water which was on pretty much every hole. The fairways and greens were terrible and no fringe around the greens so your ball just kept rolling off of the green. They started us on the back nine and we had 1 group in front of us and NO ONE behind us. After 3 holes we had a ranger come up to us telling us we had to hurry up and get going. We weren't holding anyone up. Then they have rangers everywhere watching you like you're doing something wrong. We played our round in about 4 hours and 10 minutes, but I felt so rushed the whole time because of the butt hole rangers. For what they charge I would never go back there. Did not have an enjoyable time at all.

A Popular Course in the Area

Pinehills at Myrtlewood used to be known as "the oldest" golf course on the Grand Strand. I think that has to still be true, but now it is part of a resort so you see over-booking and slow, really slow play.
Still, the course is a solid one to play when you are in the area. The area had over 4 inches of rain in the 2 days before we played and Pinehills held up great. Especially that we were not cart path only when every course south to Pawleys Island was.
To me, the course looks pretty wild open. Avoid the water and you feel like you can score. Beware of the giant oak trees. The limbs on those trees grow magically, by feet, as your tee shot is in flight, just to give you a hindrance (challenge) on that shot into the green.

0a53ba44-a45b-5b44-b8de-a029c9afff5b
Commented on 05/25/2019

I think you may be referring to Pine Lakes, "The Granddaddy" as the oldest course in MB.

Great course to play with junior golfers

Great course. Played with my 12yr old daughter. Rented 2 sets of new Taylor Made clubs from the pro-shop. Love that Myrtle Beach encourages youth golf by letting them play for free. Nice pace of play and challenging course. All the staff we met were very nice and helpful. Highly recommend!!

Boston Advisor

Morning round at Pinehills.

Played the Pinehills side and really enjoyed it. Course was in good shape, greens fast and true. Pace was a little slow but it was a beautiful day so it was fine. Only complaint here is the 19th hole is basically a snack bar with beer. Patio overlooking the intercostal made it a lot better.

Myrtlewood Pines

We were staying at the Villas but no discounts offered. Couldn't see the course on GOLFNOW so we wouldn't have seen any reviews. Unpleasant person loading my bag upset me before we got going, as a two ball just after 9:20. However it turned out that we were joined by a couple of beginners - nice people but no etiquette whatsoever (not their fault as they said that they had told the ProShop that they weren't relly golfers!! Anyway they listened when we advised them to pick up and move on after x number of shots and have a putt up at the green. That said - we do not expect virtual beginners to be allowed out on any course in the morning. It was a strain on us trying to get them to keep up with the group in front, we gave them countless balls as theirs were lost in the water, and it didn't do our golf any good at all. At least they were nice people so I guess we could have had it worse. It was the first time the woman had played 18 holes so she was happy!!

Ups and Downs

I recently had the opportunity to join a group of friends on a Myrtle Beach, S. C. weekend of golf and fun. Our host was the Myrtlewood Golf Villas and their partners, Founders Group International. Our two bed two bath accommodation was to include breakfast at the course each day. (See below) We booked tee times at three of their courses, first of which was Pine Hills.
I have played a great many of the hundred or so courses in the greater Myrtle Beach area over the last thirty years but this was my first trip to the courses known as Myrtlewood
The Pine Hills course is a redesign by Arthur Hills, in 1993, of a course previously known as The Pines, which opened in 1966. As time past, the addition of a great many condos as well as a second course has added to the "resort" atmosphere and play is evident in this regard. A five to six hour round is not unheard of but has become the norm with the help of double booking and cross tee use by sending groups out on numbers one and ten at the same time.
I have to say, upon my arrival I was treated as a guest and Keith in the pro shop was most accommodating to my need and request.
The lady at the concessions register was nice and the cook provided me a fine breakfast sandwich for a fair price. However my buddies all went for the buffet (which should have been included in our package price, as aluded to above) at ten dollars per head and all were dissatisfied and disappointed to put it mildly. In no way is this space to be called a restaurant.
The course was wet from 13+ inches of rain the previous week and carts were limited to paths only making for a lot of extra walking, time elapses, and soggy feet. I am happy to say, for the most part, the course was enjoyable. Tees, fairways and greens were in fine shape. Greens were receptable to good shots and putts ran smooth and true. The bunkers were mostly playable but you and I know lazy players do not rake bunkers so there was that rub.
We liked the layout of the course, the views of the Intercoastal Waterway and the beverage cart lady's perfume. If you enjoy the "RESORT STYLE" golf of all day and nothing else to accomplish you will likely enjoy Myrtlewood's Pine Hills course.

Highly enjoyable

The course was in great condition. Greens were immaculate; fairways plush.

Very nice course.

We played the Pines Course, and it's very nice. We were lucky to be paired with a couple of guys that knew the course. We made shots we wouldn't have if we were by ourselves. Only thing...groundskeeping was blowing and mowing so it was really noisy for 4-5 holes.

Wet One

The course was extremely wet from over watering which led to some pick, clean, and place situations. Along with the wetness in the fairways and around the greens the sand traps were too wet. Most sand traps would have been more pleasant if they had been machine raked before play. I suggest any player to grab a journal from the pro shop for $4. I prodominetly hit a slight right to left draw which helped me avoid the water hazards but the folks I played with either sliced from severe to moderately and they found water hazards that stretched nearly to the right center of the fairway. The staff had a great commitment to service. I will be back!

Pine Hills had at least 7 holes where water was in front of greens.

Had to grind all day. No yardage book. Water everywhere. Hit several shots that I would not of hit if I had a yardage book or GPS.

My wife really enjoyed

Course is super layout with enough challenge to force target golf; restrooms strategically placed make this course 5 stars in my wife's mind. Friendly and helpful staff; only draw back was practice of double stacking starts so that although we started on 1st tee a 4some my turn off 18 right on our tails and routinely ran their carts to our tee box as we were hitting. Very elderly men in front of us ( god bless WWII VETS that are out playing golf!).

course had a good variety of holes.

course is well maintained, good layout with some water on holes that can be trouble if you hit a poor shot.

Great Course and would play again.

I really enjoyed this course. Fairways allow you plenty of opportunity and when you hit them you will be greatly rewarded. I drive the with a lower trajectory. Hitting fairways my drives ended up at 260 to 280. Made approach shots nice. Miss fairways and task is a bit harder. I played on labor day. Pace of play was fine on that day. Perhaps I got lucky. Try it, you will enjoy it.

This course did not live up to the majority of Myrtle Beach courses.

Generous fairways with well bunkered greens. Not much sand in the bunkers. Creative par threes. Some water lined fairways. Ranger was very accommodating to jump us ahead of an extremely slow threesome.

Forgotten Course

Myrtlewood isn't a course you normally hear about when talking about Myrtle Beach golf. We were able to arrange a same morning tee time for $31 so we weren't expecting what we found. When pulling up, the gentlemen at the bag drop would actually walk over to your car to help with items. Clubhouse staff was very friendly. The starter asked if we minded being paired up with a single and spent time talking with us about the course while waiting for the group in front of us. About every other hole, a cart came by offering water from a cooler and saw the "cart girl" 3 times during the round.

The course itself was in fantastic condition. Tee box looked like they hadn't been played in weeks, fairways, rough and bunkers were well maintained and then greens were fast and true. It does play long and on a few of the holes the condos hid the wind. I would gladly play this course again.

Public/Resort