Fox/Otter at River Oaks Golf Plantation

River Oaks Golf Plantation stretches across more than 800 scenic acres along the Intracoastal Waterway. The Plantation offers 27 holes that are divided into three nines, each named after the some of the wildlife that call the course home. The Fox, Otter, and Bear nines can be played in different 18-hole combinations. The Fox/Otter Course begins with the shortest of the three nines and finishes with the longest. The final hole on the front nine presents one of the most interesting risk-reward opportunities on the golf course. You can aim for the right bunker for an open shot at the green or try a long drive down the left side for a short approach. River Oaks Golf Plantation's Otter nine has several challenges in store including mounding, strategically placed bunkers, and tricky water hazards.
River Oaks Golf Plantation
Yellow 72 5076 yards 65.9 107
Yellow (W) 72 5076 yards 66.9 109
Scorecard for Fox/Otter
Black M: 72.9/136 536 385 189 387 353 441 511 139 405 3346 437 405 205 367 365 524 211 410 521 3445 6791
Blue M: 70.6/132 512 351 161 361 294 424 503 129 382 3117 415 364 186 339 340 498 198 390 498 3228 6345
White M: 69.2/117 W: 70.2/119 500 337 140 272 282 400 429 115 357 2832 365 312 148 313 305 467 160 366 473 2909 5741
Yellow M: 65.9/107 W: 66.9/109 395 255 117 262 243 355 368 91 295 2381 267 310 120 250 267 468 145 296 431 2554 4935
Red W: 66.0/107 385 245 104 250 213 343 350 80 280 2250 250 290 112 238 256 439 136 275 415 2411 4661

Year Built 1988
Greens Champion UltraDwarf Grass
Architect Gene Hamm Craig Schreiner (2011)

Golf School Academy Yes - "The Golf School of Myrtle Beach"

Single Allowed Yes

River oaks

Course in overall average conditions, pace of play was very slow until the pro sent us out on the back which had no players in it , thank him!!

Hurricane conditions may had had alittle impact but things like cart paths were terrible; otherwise course was ok, pricing was alittle high for golf day @ 50+ player

nice course good value

I really enjoyed this course. Nice layout and good conditions.

I had a great round of golf

I showed up 30 minutes early and I was allowed to golf immediately. I found the staff to be courteous, friendly and helpful from the moment I got there until I left. The maintenance crew does a great job taking care of the golf course.

Terrible greens

The fairways were decent , but the greens are in terrible shape. That was the reason 18 holes for 21.00. Ok to just practice but come looking to hone your putting

Greens suffered major winter kill. Other than that the course was in good shape.

Poor greens

The Fox course is probably the worst course I’ve ever played in my life. I’ve been playing for 20+ years and was floored of how the consciously take $32 bucks for that. Some greens are completely gone and they tried to make greens by mowing down a patch of grass the size of a kitchen table. Far as I’m concerned they stole 15 bucks from me today. The bear is in descent shape!!!

Bad greens

I have played this course many times before. This is the worst I have ever found it. I can't remember any greens that were without brown sections. One green was so bad that a temporary green was made in front with fairway grass. It was marked with a yellow flag meaning the back pin placement.

Greens need to develop but great golf

Yes, the greens took a beating this past winter. However the mgt is working hard to fix. Great value for the golf.

Vacation Golf

Good course to play for the for the price. Found out that the cold weather is what messed up all the greens on the courses in the area. This course stays busy from what I could see the few days while there.

2015 Golf Course of the Year??? #JOKE!!!

Not a puttable green. Worst greens I’ve seen this year.

I should’ve known something was up when I pulled up to the baggage drop area and the attendant just sat there while I put the car in park, got out, open the back of my car and lifted my golf bag out before he even got out of his chair. By time he started walking toward me, I’d already sat my bag on the bag stand. I was the only vehicle there and he looked directly at me when I pulled up.

The second laughable thing about this course was, the starter who wasn’t even on a starting hole met us where we got in our cart (baggage drop area). Needless to say he was carrying on a very important and in-depth conversation with the baggage guy about a friend who played the day before and what he’d shot. Then the started proceeded to tell us they had a temporary green on hole 5. After playing the first four holes we we’re anxious to see what this course deemed an unplayable green. Based on what we’d played so far and ended up playing coming in. Hole #5 green wouldn’t have been any worst. The temporary green was definitely at JOKE!

If you ONLY want to work on hitting your driver and irons for approach shots... Go For It. If looking to work on your chipping and putting. Go play at Putt Putt course somewhere on the Grandstand.

The thing that really made me and my friend really laugh about this course. We stood on a tee box getting ready to hit and the two guys cutting grass kept circling us on the tee box cutting around the tee box without ever stopping. So we just stood there until they finished looking at them in awe. They didn’t have a clue and proceeded to the next hole.

On top of that, on hole 9 me and my friend were in the middle of the fairway getting ready to hit to the green. When all of a sudden a ultiilty golf cart pulling a sand spreader top the green. Never slowed up and started spreading sand on the greeen. Made three passes on the green and then headed off somewhere else. I don’t know if the guy ever saw us or not but we were again at awe and just started laughing.

There was a Golf Assistant riding the course. We saw him three times. However, each time we saw him, he had the pedal to the medal and never let off the gas. What he was doing is still a mystery unless he was just cooling off by riding the course because from what we saw he was just riding the course.

I will say they’re still proud of their 2015 rating because they’re still flying the banner stating this was a 2015 Coruse of the Year. They should take that banner down now because it’s an embrassement due to the condition of the course right now.

Worst course I ever played.

Don’t play there. Would give 0 star if it let me. Greens were auful (brown, uncut)tee boxes manguled, nothing good. Layout is fine, but they put no effort in upkeep. Most bunkers didn’t even have racks. Even trying to get a hotdog at turn, but they said hurry up so you slow others down. Just a terrible experience. Can honestly say will never play there again!!!

Horrible Greens

If you don't care about putting confitionss, this course is OK. Two temp greens and all others were shoddy at best. Not recommended.

Lots of terrible greens Decent enough course

Played fox and bear. Course layout was ok. Nothing special but passable. Greens had lots of problems. Parts of a few greens were unplayable. Lost 1/2 of some greens. I expect it to affect the rest of 2018. Maybe beyond. When greens come back I would play it again

Love the course layout the greens are in sad shape they lost everyone they need to do something about that the best bet would be to shut the course down for little bit and try and get the greens come back

This course was awesome and beautiful. The staff was super friendly and overall my expierence was great. I actually played this course 3 times while on vacation. Can't say enough good things about it.

Valid dates: Oct 11, 2018 - Aug 31, 2019