Whispering Pines Golf Course

2 reviews
2 reviews

Located just one-half mile from the outstanding oceanfront hotels and attractions of the Grand Strand, Whispering Pines offers a distinctive combination of challenge and beauty, carved out of 250 acres of towering pines and mature hardwoods by designers Finger, Dye, and Spann. Previously known as Myrtle Beach AFB Golf Club.
Scorecard for Whispering Pines Golf Course
Blue M: 73.7/130 380 158 485 404 408 197 475 416 395 3318 408 187 567 320 496 449 405 178 403 3413 6731
White M: 70.9/128 353 142 458 366 389 151 460 390 378 3087 390 169 538 288 463 398 381 161 370 3158 6245
Green M: 67.3/123 W: 72.0/124 302 107 410 323 320 122 450 337 335 2706 339 142 483 276 422 347 331 149 302 2791 5497
Red W: 70.4/120 290 95 403 319 300 102 400 322 329 2560 300 130 474 222 416 338 326 132 278 2616 5176

Year Built 1963
Architect Finger Dye Spann (1987)

Dress code Proper golf attire required. Shirts with a collar and hemmed pants or shorts.

RIP off

Over charge vacationers be careful if u try golf there...best thing is to go elsewhere

Poor staff....ripoff

We have been coming to myrtle beach for the last 5 years for vacation to play golf. Yesterday I sent my boy who is 20 and he's friend who is 24 to play whispering pines that I have played over the years. When they came back they said that they only played 9 nines and was charged $44.00 per person. $25.00 for green fees and cart another $15.00 because they took their wives along to just ride and to set it all off another $4.00 each because they were not locals. Unbelievable!!!! Not locals .that's how these places make it on vacationers golfing then they charge extra. The pro shop was rude to them mustt not want the vacationers business. No problem won't be back. Been golfing all week here have hadno problems with any other courses but WHISPERING PINES. Not sure if it's under new management or what but gold elsewhere if you want fair rates and a good time.

Pleasant surprise

Talking to local people convinced me to try it. Much nicer than course I played in Conway at higher price. Greens in excellent shape. Course layout was excellent requiring some planning and good shot placement. I will definitely play this course again when I'm in town.

Course was in good condition, great value

Whispering Pines is close to where we stay while in Myrtle Beach, so I decided to give the course a shot. It was HOT(over 90*) at 1:15 when I teed off and I only ran into one other group during my round. I got around in just over 2.5 hours. Despite the high temps, I found the course in good shape. The layout is not overly long, so the course challenges you with small greens. The greens were rolling quite fast. I loved the red, white, and blue pin placement system they use there. More courses should do something similar.

I didn't find the proximity to the airport to be an issue. If you're the type of golfer who is easily distracted by the helicopters buzzing by, maybe look elsewhere. There are no houses on the course, which is not typical for many Myrtle Beach courses.

I enjoyed my round at Whispering Pines and I would certainly play there again.

New owners need to step up.

This course was apparently taken over by Vargo earlier this year, and it shows. The greens are terrible. It seems like every green rolls a different speed. The rough can be anywhere from an inch tall to 5 inches tall. The tees don't match up to the scorecards. It's pretty rough. It looks like Vargo is making cuts in all the wrong places.

kstanzel
Commented On 11/01/2017

This reviewer is incorrect. I believe he meant this as a review of another like names course. We are not managed by that company (I never heard of it), our greens are absolutely perfect and in the time he mentioned it was winter here and we would have zero rough... I hope he notices and deletes his comments. They are not accurate hence not fair. Thanks

Best Conditions on The Strand

Best Conditioned Course on The Strand right now. Fairways & Greens are excellent. Tee Boxes need some work but not bad. Very friendly staff. Great Value.

Mytrle Beach's Hidden Gem

20 Minute Frost Delay.. But pace of play was 3hrs 45mins with a foursome. Course is in EXCELLENT SHAPE Tee to Green. Staff as always very friendly & helpful. Course is very playable but has a few holes that can reach up & bite you. Great Value.....

Hidden Gem

Course is in excellent shape tee to green. Greens putted a little slow but very true. Staff is great & pace of play for a Saturday am was good.

Better than expected

After leaving Hilton Head and driving up to Myrtle Beach, we stopped for a late afternoon round at Whispering Pines. I had lowered my expectations after seeing their website, their carts, and their old school clubhouse.

The driving range is huge, 400 yards wide huge (it seems), and they had new(ish) TaylorMade range balls.

I was pleasantly surprised by the condition of the golf course. It was so hot that afternoon, but everything was nice and green. The greens were firm and Fast! A lot faster than the courses I played later in the week in North Myrtle.

After playing it once, I'd like another shot at it. Fun course!

Best Value in MB

Course is still in excellent condition considering many courses in the area are suffering right now, Greens are very nice & fast. Tee Boxes & Fairways are in good shape. Ranger came around several times to offer us water which was nice because it was very hot. BEST VALUE in MB

Course great shape

We played just after 1" of rain

Drizzlely day course was wet but in good shape. Layout was a chalange but fair greens were slow but rolled well. Great value.

Getting better every week

One of Myrtle Beach's best kept secret. I have played this course several times over the last 2 months & it just keeps better each. Tee Boxes, Fairways are in excellent shape. This staff is extremely friendly from the Bag, Drop, Starters area right the Pro Shop & Grill. Good bang for your buck!!!!

Poor weather

The First course you'll see when your plane lands.

I played this course after a couple days of heavy rain so I was prepared for a soggy round. I found the course to be in very good condition and the greens in superb condition.Nothing spectacular, just a solid challenging golf course. Don't let the yardage fool you though, it plays longer and the back side is a true test. Not a bad price either. I'll be back.

Make sure you pick the right tee boxes to play

After coming to Myrtle Beach for 28 years, I finally played Whispering Pines. This is the old Myrtle Beach Air Force base course that was turned over to the city some years back. The course has some interesting holes and was in pretty good shape. The greens were no fast but they were consistent and rolled smooth. Course was very wet from 2 weeks of tropical type rain. If you play here, you need to look at the yardages of the holes and not the overall yardage before you select which tee boxes to play. The senior tees seems to be a bit short so I elected to play from the regular tees...what a mistake. The overall length of the course is not bad but it has short par 5 and medium length par 3s. But, the par 4s were way too long for my 69 year old swing. Many of them were right around 400 yards or more and with the course as wet as it was...it was no fun. I would definitely play it again...but from the senior tees.

Virginia Advisor

Thanks for a great day

Visited here last year and a lot busier course this year. Playing with wife who is a complete beginner and always fearful of our pairing. We play Captains choice to keep pace but this year not an issue . We're paired with couple guys from Louisiana and luckily play the game the same way, For The Sheer Joy. I was very appreciative of their support and cheering wife when made a good pitch or putt. Course in very good shape , greens were very slow but understand having issues with mowers. Greens thou were running very true and just not cut as short as most. Great course for all and very convenient location to hotels on the beach. Will be back next year.

Cleveland Advisor

Better than expected

Pace of play was slow as we were following a foursome of women who were competing for the US Women's Open title. Our foursome was 2 senior men and 2 senior women one of whom is in her eighties, so we weren't exactly tearing it up, but it was wait every shot on the front nine. Fortunately they only played nine which equated to our playing the back nine in 30 minutes less. Course conditions were good, greens rolled true, fairways were thick, tees level. Front nine layout is a little scattered, not exactly walkable, back nine has a better flow to it. For a course that the city of MB was considering closing last season it was in good shape and quite playable. Will definitely consider a return trip.

Good value

Played at twilight which allowed me to play very quick 18 holes. Multiple tee blocks to suit your skill level. Conditions were average - some rough areas. Layout is not overly challenging which is what you would expect from a municipal course.

Virginia Advisor

Location and value

Great location near oceanfront resorts. Very nice course with very friendly and helpful staff. Took my wife ,real beginner and had great day . Very nice course in great condition. Very good value . Will play again next year.

Fun, challenging for all skill levels, good condition & good price..

Across from Myrtle Beach International Airport yet not very noisy. the course is in great value with nice risk reward opportunities.

North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina