Style Desert/Links

For golfers who want real desert, making the 80-minute drive from Sin City's high-tech neon to Mesquite's low-tech neon is a road to travel.

For in Mesquite, there's not just old ladies at old-time slots. There's Wolf Creek Golf Club, an exceeding tough golf course where you might just run into a real-life road runner. This course features true desert canyons and all the wildlife that scampers across them.

The second tee box is 11 stories up. That's right, 11 stories up. Fantastic vision was encouraged at this Arnold Palmer design with helicopters being used to cart some of the rocks around and build higher holes. The bunkers are filled with crushed granite, providing another unique playing experience.

Wolf Creek was built to put Mesquite golf on the map. It succeeded.

Year Built 2000

Snacks, Restaurant

A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 21

Must see to believe!

Visited Wolf Creek on a Buddies' trip to Mesquite/St. George area. Our group was 12 guys; only 1 had played the course previously, so most were excited to see and play the course we had heard so much about.

The course is really unbelievable to see. I've played all over the world, and have never seen anything like it. A tremendous challenge, but score shouldn't be your priority here. Enjoy the unreal scenery, beautiful holes, and, hopefully, your company!

I'm going to respectfully mention some disappointments. I say this because, after reading some previous reviews that were somewhat negative, the GM's responses are pretty defensive and dismissive. I truly am mentioning these to bring attention to areas where a "world class" experience fell a bit short, in my opinion. Not meant to be an attack at all - just some feedback I would think Management would welcome and want to know.

In order from arrival:

We arrived around 1, (Tee time 1:00). Greeted by a friendly guy, who told us no carts for our times were available yet, and directed us to the Pro Shop. During the Pandemic, masks were required, of course. Sanitizer was stationed near the entrance, but was empty. ( It was empty after the round also) The men's restroom was messy. No paper towels available, and the dryer didn't work. Moving back to the Pro Shop - not an unfriendly greeting, but not friendly either. I would think that, a group of 12, looking to buy a few mementos, would be warmly welcomed, as any customer should. Instead, the only conversation, other than when was our tee time, was that we should buy now because they'll be closed when we will be finished playing. No thanks for coming, where are you from, etc., like I've experienced hundreds of times elsewhere. The guy that checked me out said absolutely nothing, other than the amount of $$ I owed, and where to insert the chip of my credit card. I had to thank him - he NEVER thanked me. For the courses Wolf Creek wants to be compared with, the Shop experience isn't even close.

The practice area is in kind of an ugly area near the parking lot, and is "Irons Only". Definitely not a world class facility one would expect for the reputation of WC. It almost looks temporary - perhaps another area is under construction?

The starter was very friendly, as were all the outside staff. We appreciated his greeting and explanation of what we needed to know.

I was surprised the carts were not equipped with GPS. It certainly would have been helpful on these incredible holes and all their elevation changes. After the fact, I'm reading here that an app is available to help in this regard - however, nobody mentioned the app to our group.

A friendly lady at the halfway house - situated about halfway between each nine - took good care of us on the front. It was closed on the back side, which would have been nice to know, as the Pro Shop made very clear! With no water available on the course during these times, we were running dry towards the end of the round.

Thoroughly enjoyed the course. Truly a remarkable experience, and I recommend for anyone that enjoys the game to be sure and visit. However, the consensus among our group was, the feeling from inside staff was that they're a bit "full of themselves", and that they were doing us a favor by allowing us to play Wolf Creek. I'm sure it is unintentional - but the perception was definitely shared by all in our group.

Commented on 10/28/2020

Hi Coach,
I do review all comments left by those that experience Wolf Creek. I feel that if someone leaves a comment they need to know that they have been heard. We welcome all comments and opinions. I guess some of my replies could be viewed as defensive or dismissive. I would hope you would agree just because someone says something it doesn’t always make it true. If we do something wrong I will be the first to admit it. However, if the comments are inaccurate, hurtful, or lack perspective I will call them out. We understand people come from all over the world and I know how much pride the staff takes in making each Wolf Creek visit special. Those that take a look at the reviews can decide how authentic it is.
I appreciate your tone and the 4 star review. I will say that during this pandemic it has been challenging for us to manage the expectations of those travelers coming from other states – all states have different protocols. Nevada is stricter than some and a little more open than others. We have been required to do so many things in order to open the doors. It is a sad reality that this virus has taken a toll on all of us. Perhaps he didn’t say “thank you” or you couldn’t see his or her warm smile behind the mask. I do sincerely apologize that you didn’t feel welcome or appreciated. That is not typically the standard review we get on our fine staff. We can always work on attitude and will address your comments at our weekly staff meeting.
You mention several critical points that I feel are not entirely accurate. In regards to our free GPS AP, we clearly post a color sign right next to the chip reader and yardage books describing the ap and how to get it. We thought about it but we have never had a hand dryer in the restrooms and we have no less than 6 hand sanitizer stations throughout the facility. You also mention the sanitizer station at the golf shop entrance was empty before you played and again after when the golf shop was closed.
I would agree that the range is not “world class” and you are not the only one to critique our range this way. It has been this way since opening. We have done some little things such as level the tee surface, put natural grass on it, Titleist range balls, new bunker sand, additional target areas. Unfortunately with the airport up there it will always be irons only. It’s a good place to warm up but if you’re trying to fix a slice not so good.
The friendly starter and the Den (halfway house) staff typically point out the free water bottles in a huge cooler at the turn to restock in addition to the close time of the Den. I do apologize that your group was not informed and will discuss with those departments. I appreciate your detail as it allows us to go over the areas we need to do better in.
Glad your group enjoyed the golf course and I am confident that our golf staff will be on point for your next visit.

Big Thunder Mountain

If you’ve ever wondered what it would be like to play golf with a scape of Big Thunder Mountain at Disneyland, wonder no more!
Played this course in back to back weekends! First time took my girlfriend, who is very new to golf, place is very intimidating to someone new.
Upon arrival they meet you in the parking lot, confirm your time and direct you to the pro shop. Leave the clubs in the car, after you get checked in, you get a cart, sign the waiver and the COVID release, then take the cart to the parking lot and get your clubs.
Driving range is really the only weak part of this course!, but you’re not there to be a driving range pro anyway!
We played at the end of summer when it was still 118, that said they had a guy with the biggest cooler I’ve ever seen giving you free water!
The course is even better than the pictures and videos you’ve seen! 14 handicap and played from the whites, except hole 2! Well I did play from the whites, but had to play a ball from the tips! Carried the Grand Canyon, but came up short of the fairway, I suggest if it’s not crowded try hole 2 from the back tees, or at least go up there for the view and take a picture!
Every hole could be a signature hole!
Every gone through a drive through snack shack? You will here! We pulled in ordered some snacks, asked for more ice to fill the cooler on the cart, pulled up and boom, dumped some more ice in the cooler!
I could go on, but I won’t, this place is everything it’s marketed it be! I think the next Phil vs Tiger match should be played here! I want to see how the pros would play this place!
Bucket list course for sure!

The Emperor has no clothes, How did this course get such positive reviews? not a fair test of golf skills

Is this what you are looking for in a golf experience:
- 30 to 100 yards of elevation change on every single tee shot or approach shot
- The extremity of the terrain and the fact that there is no guidance to give you a sense of distance makes choosing the correct line nearly impossible
- a half dozen lost balls on drives where you took a stab at the correct line, hit a perfect shot, and never find the result?
- Fake water features EVERYWHERE around the bone dry desert
- Repeated blind tee shots where you cannot see the landing area?
- A tee shot from the tips on hole 9 requiring a 250 yards to carry the water, and it is oriented into the prevailing southwest wind?
- Greenskeepers parked in the fairway right in the landing zone on 3 holes?
- Unkempt tee boxes for the back tees, which don't even have tee markers?
THEN THIS COURSE IS FOR YOU!

I was very surprised to see the positive reviews for this course, and I don't really get it. There are some positives- it's a beautiful layout in the canyons, the greens were in perfect condition, and the pro staff was very friendly and helpful. But beyond that- it's NOT a good test of golf skills, you are making guesses on distance and line on nearly every shot.
We had 4 guys in our group, two of whom are low single digit (me and another) and two who were mid handicappers. The other A player summed it up best- "They need a clown's mouth over the entrance to the course!".
A good corollary for this course is the Rim Club in Arizona, another course where you will hit good shots and never find the ball on a regular basis.
We traveled 6 hours to play this course and Coyote Springs. Coyote Springs is EXCELLENT- it is everything this course is not. It is a long drive from civilization, but it is worth it! Really well designed.
I think every golfer should play Wolf Creek once, just to see how a course design can get out of of hand. It's a humorous experience!

Commented on 10/09/2020

How do you compare wolf creek to the rim club? I’ve played both and while wolf creek is different and has some quirky holes the rim club is totally a fair test of golf. Either move a tee up or get a range finder/yardage book to help you out. I always get one when I go to a new course and rarely play any new course blind and without the help of some kind of range finder or yardage guide.

Commented on 10/01/2020

Don’t let this guy scare you away from this course!
This place isn’t your ordinary course! The blind shots he is talking about are if you are trying to cut doglegs! There is no gps on the carts, but if you have your own gps or range finder bring it, or just play smart golf you’ll be fine!
This course can humble you, which sounds like it did! I am a 14 handicap, played it twice, shot 84 and 86, one lost ball. If you’re good enough to play from the tips, you shouldn’t be losing any balls!
Water? Yes lots of water on the course! Desert courses have water!!! Palm Springs courses, have water! Arizona courses have water! Vegas courses, have water!! Desert or not, they all have water! Fake water features? Are not most courses full of “fake” water features?
Hole 9 and 250 to carry? Who is forcing you to carry? Play smart golf, not testosterone golf! If you’re a 4 handicap you could be able to carry 250, or be smart enough to not play from the tips.
This is one of the best courses on the planet! It’s not for everyone, but play smart and you’ll have a great time!

Commented on 08/05/2020

I've played this track 3 times now (a 7 handicap) and was lucky enough to play with a local the first round who told me what lines to take off the tee. A lot of prep using the video game as well made a massive difference - once you understand the elevations and how much to add/subtract this place is very score-able and extremely fun! If you play it smart and don't cut too many corners, etc. it is more than fair and playable. Just my opinion - don't give up on it yet give it a shot with someone who knows the course and I promise you'll truly enjoy it!!

Commented on 08/02/2020

I am not surprised at your comments after playing the back tees. There are blind shots and forced carries of 235 yards. The tips were designed to be a test of all tests. Tour player test. I am an all american golfer, still a scratch player and can still hit it 250 in the air and the tips are too much for me. From the blue tee boxes there isnt one blind tee shot. Sure if you want to take on big risk reward shots you can but if you don't pull it off you pay the consequences like you should on any course.

The elevated tee boxes , fairways carved through box canyons, and water features are enjoyable for the vast majority of people that visit and play the proper tees.

I am truly disappointed that you and the guys didn't have a good time. If you come out again perhaps we can get you to play the blue tee boxes. I appreciate your nice comments on our staff, the views and the greens.

Thanks for giving us a try.

1st class from start to finish

It was a hot day, but as they say its a dry heat. In all seriousness it wasn't too bad. The staff kept reminding us to drink water and they drove around several times offering bottled water. They were over the top with their safety and sanitation during these times. Now for the golf - It was amazing. The golf course is in great summer shape. Greens, tees and fairways were almost perfect. The only mild criticism is the bunkers but that could be that no rakes are allowed. All the little things you expect from a top notch course were done. No weeds, edged paths, clean waterways. The elevation drops have to be experienced to be believed. The pictures on the website don't do the course justice. For me it was truly a golf wonderland and we enjoyed our time there immensely. The gentleman and the pro shop mentioned a September special I may have to hit that up if everything is back to a more normal. If you haven't played there you have to give it a try.

Add to Your Vegas Area Bucket List

This is my first review ever of a golf course and there is not a lot to add to say about this course that hasn't already been said, but I'll attempt to give some opinion nonetheless.
First off, the staff could not have been more accommodating - total 5 star experience! With the temps hovering around 110, they all made sure our group always stayed hydrated and had plenty of ice and water throughout the round. The Wolf Den is perfectly located on the course near the middle of both the front 9 and back 9 - kudos! Additionally, we were made aware that the pin locations were not the same on the back 9 as they were on the front 9. This information might sound minor until you have actually played here (blind shots, elevation changes, green speeds).
The architecture can be debated, but the engineering cannot. Having built or renovated 25-30 courses myself in my younger years, I was left scratching my head wondering 'how they do that'? The cart paths alone could provide some type of extreme racing competition if this land was not made into a golf course (be careful out there)! We played from the Blue tees, and there are still several holes that strategically, depending on your length, a driver should probably not be played from the tee on several of the par 4's if you are a first timer. I personally do not care for this feature on multiple holes throughout the course, but also understand that you have to work with the canvas you have been provided from mother nature.
The turf was in great shape considering it is 110 in June. Players should give extra attention to the grain out there when putting on these greens for best results. The sand in the bunkers was inconsistent in color and depth - best to steer clear of them if possible.
Overall it seems like it would be difficult to find a course in Southern Nevada with more stunning views. As one of my partners facetiously said to me as we were standing on about the 3rd or 4th tee - 'this doesn't suck'. Don't worry too much about your score the first time through; pick the correct tee for your skill level, enjoy the scenery and hope there is only a gentle breeze to keep you cool if it is in the summer. I'd bet this course would be next to impossible with strong winds. Enjoy!

Spectacular bucket list course

Long golf weekend in Vegas. Drove the 90 minutes to satisfy my curiosity. Wow...spectacular course carved out of a canyon with some of the most memorable tee shots I’ve ever seen. Like chambers bay but more elevation change and more compartmentalized. Gas carts needed due to climbing...a chairlift may have been a better idea. Most tees elevated, some by more that 150 feet. Tight layout but holes largely separated by canyons. Layout was fair. Not a tricked out target golf course, you just need to clear a mini Grand Canyon to reach the fairway. In a word....fun! Fairways immaculate. Greens rolled true but not ridiculous. I played like a triple handicapper but I don’t care. I hit a 200 yard downhill tee shot over an exposed rock outcropping onto the green and two putted for birdie. I can’t remember which hole...they’re all that good. I was so entranced Iforgot to take pictures. highly recommend it...worth the drive!

Missouri Advisor

As advertised....

Played in December... Only an hour outside Vegas. As advertised, great course, great views, good target golf. Lots of phenomenal views. A few quirky holes, but a super fun course. Course was in good condition. The only downfall is the range does not do justice to how nice the course is... Could use a range update. Also, pulling in, the parking lot was littered with random equipment and storage boats and rvs... Still gets a five star because the course was great.

A Destination Course

Wolf Creek is a visually stunning layout in the desert canyons of Mesquite, Nevada just about 80 minutes from Las Vegas. Weather conditions can vary dramatically throughout the year, so I watch weather reports carefully before booking a trip. I’ve only played here in late fall or winter and had great conditions both times.

The slope from our tees was 137, so it was challenging, but not in terms of length. I’m an over 60 13 handicap and I didn’t use fairway woods on too many par 4’s. The fairways were pristine and the greens were quick and smooth.....and challenging! I rarely have more than 2 3-putts a round, but this last round I had 6.

The staff was great from the greeting in the parking lot to the folks in the restaurant-which, btw, is a GREAT bargain for breakfast. It is a first class operation. The only downside is the small driving range and the fact you can’t. Hit woods there due to proximity to a small airport.

Mesquite is a great place for quality golf and inexpensive hotel rooms.

It's in the GAME!

Wolf Creek looks and feels exactly like the video game... if only I could boost in real life like my character does in Xbox.

Almost every tee ball is severely elevated, with generous landing areas. The course twists through a canyon and provides tons of views and photo ops. It's a lot of fun, fairly memorable, and totally fantasy land golf.

I wouldn't call it a hard course by any means. I'm a short hitter and did just fine from the blue tees which were as far back as they had the track set up that day. I hit a handful of tee shots from the tips because I wanted to walk out there and see the looks. The carry is maybe 10-20 yards farther between blue and black on most holes, but you're also 10-20 feet higher up too. Honestly, I didn't feel blue and black were a whole lot different.

I'd recommend anyone who plays Wolf Creek (or anywhere) - play your correct set of tee boxes. There's a ton of choices at Wolf Creek and the forward tees are very playable. That said, be sure to check out the views from a handful of the back tees - especially No. 2. The scenery is drastically different, you can still take in the view, and you won't have to worry about a 220+ carry.

While the tee shots and approaches didn't seem all that demanding, the greens were tricky as can be. There's a lot of subtle and not so subtle breaks out there. In my opinion, the practice green does not prepare you for what you'll see.

The little chipping green near the range (range was awful - irons only without much space. If you're a range rat, you'll be disappointed) is a better representation of the actual slopes, but not the speed. Some of the downhill putts were impossible to stop, and some of the uphill putts required a full turn to get the ball to the hole.

While the greens and tee boxes were a little beat up, the fairways were some of the nicest I've ever seen. I would recommend everyone play it once, regardless of your ability, but I wouldn't go out of my way to play it again.

Mesquite seems like a solid place for a golf trip. It's an easy ride from the strip and is littered with golf courses and golf paraphernalia. There's not much other than golf and glitz-free gambling, but that's plenty for the guys I know.

I'm an avid walker, but trust me when I say: take a cart. Walking that track would be next to impossible. The gas carts struggled to make it through the ridiculous amount of elevation changes on pretty much every hole.

The 19th hole boasts a solid sunset from the balcony and reasonably priced drinks. The food was average at best. All the people we met were friendly and engaging. The shop had a good SWAG selection at premium prices.

Unbelievable views

What a incredible golf experience !!! Everything from start to finish of our 18 hole experience was amazing ,,,the staff, greens, fairways and unbelievable views made this our highlight of our two week golf marathon. We will be back ! Price was a little pricey but would do it again

Awesome October Golf

I was fortunate enough to have a guys weekend in Las Vegas area. On tap was golf and football. We made the short commute over to Wolf Creek and had a very memorable round. Weather was ideal and the course matched it. They had recently over seeded and the green contrasted with the desert, true beauty. Fairways and greens were manicured.
I would put Wolf Creek on any list for golf experience you will not forget. Fun and challenging, don’t miss it.

Really?

After hearing so much about this course I finally had a chance to play it,the course itself is very scenic, what really bothered me is the cart situation.
The course has some extreme hills and the carts were your standard gas carts w/o the automatic breaks. If there was ever a course that needed the automatic braking carts, it is this one. All day long we heard screeching tires from carts that were trying to navigate the terrain, also they really need the GPS on the carts. These items would enhance the Wolf Creek experience.

daslinker
Commented on 12/04/2019

3 Stars "average" rating because you didn't like the carts? Wolf Creek is practically the Disneyland of golf, with absolutely jaw-dropping holes and perfect conditions from start to finish. How about actually rating the COURSE, because to everyone I know, there's just nothing "average" about it!

Commented on 09/01/2019

Really-

Thank you for your comments about the course and how to enhance the experience, I am however a little confused on automatic breaking. Electric carts with GPS will slow the carts if programmed to be in an action zone if that is what you are talking about. However, in the heat and with the terrain electric carts don't work for us so we have to get gas which none of the gas carts have that feature. We do have GPS for smart phones which we feel is more accurate than the carts. For the main reason - you can take the phone to the elevated tee box or parts of the course carts cant go. We also have phone chargers on the cart to make sure your phone doesn't go dead. Next time you play you will have to try it. I enjoyed your comments and look forward to your next visit.

Wolf Creek what a disappointment

We had heard such good things about Wolf Creek so we made the trip from Vegas. We are both low single figure players. The bunkers are a disgrace about 1/8" of said d and then total hardpan!! Balls when hit into the bunker will roll down the face of the bunker (like cement) and come to rest at the back edge of the bunker making a shot impossible.
The layout is fun and very scenic but until they do something about the bunkers this course should be avoided, we will not e going back.

Commented on 08/21/2019

Thank you for your comments on your day. There are a few bunkers we have yet to add sand such as 11 and 18 which is coming this fall. I sincerely apologize that the isolated bunkers tainted your experience. I am sure your next visit the bunkers will not detract from the fun and scenery.

This course is jaw dropping!

Wolf Creek in Mesquite, NV is truly something special. I have a group of golf buddies who do a yearly Vegas trip. Vegas is a great time, but I mainly go for that round of golf at Wolf Creek. This course is unlike anything I play back home or anywhere else for that matter. Each hole could be a signature hole and the elevation changes are spectacular. The desert views with the flat tops in the background is pretty cool. The greens roll really well and the course is always in great condition. Can't say enough about the staff as well, always helpful.
Every time we bring someone who hasn't played the course, they are usually in awe. We always ask if we have over hyped the course and the answer is always "No, it's even better".
The pace of play may have be a bit slow because of everyone just taking in the views and not wanting the round to end.
So if you're in Vegas to play golf, do yourself a favor and drive the 75 minutes it takes to get there. I guarantee you will not be disappointed.

Spectacular!

Wolf Creek is the experience of a lifetime! I have played numerous courses in North America and nothing surpasses the thrill ride of playing golf at Wolf Creek! From the views and the outstanding elevation changes to the condition of the course and the challenges on every hole, Wolf Creek is like no other! A golf trip to Las Vegas or Mesquite would not be complete without adding these 18 holes! Golf on!

California Advisor

Gorgeous course, great views

This is my 2nd time here, it has amazing views and scenery. The fairways are awesome, the greens are sweet, the bunkers have beautiful white sand, and there is plenty of water hazards.
I wish I could play here every week.
The course has very high elevation changes with incredible 360 degree views.

Birmingham Advisor

Roller-coaster ride in the desert

It doesn’t take long for one to figure out why this course is included in popular video games. The trek to the top of the second tee box spells it out for you.

Lush green fairways are laced between craggy rock formations. Greens are perched atop buttes and crammed into hollows. Tee boxes resemble crow’s nests in spots.

Wolf Creek is not for the faint of heart. Hit your marks or pay a heavy price. Driver is not necessary for better players on the majority of the holes. Playing to the 150-yard marker stones is a good way to mine pars.

The greens were quick, but not penal.

The bunkers were crusty and very thin. That is not due to poor maintenance - that is the way they are designed to play, so it was tough to save par from them.

I would highly encourage first-timers to plunk down $7 for a course yardage guide in the pro shop. It will save you a handful of strokes at a minimum.

The pro shop has a great selection of merchandise. The only negative I can find with the course was the limited driving range, which is irons only.

Just wow

We drove up from Phoenix just to play this course and was it with it! The pictures speak for them selves. One of the best I’ve played and the layout is insane. If you’re around the area you cannot pass it up

Exceeded all expectations

Absolute delight to play this course. Everything about it brought a smile to my face.

Course layout whilst intimidating doesn't play as difficult as it looks and therefore becomes super enjoyable.

Fairways, bunkers, greens were all in top notch condition.

Great staff and pro shop has amazing merchandise.

Whilst it was very windy, every hole was enjoyable.

Awesome Desert Golf!

Course layout is amazing.
Challenging, but fun. The contrast of the red rock hills and lush green fairways is unbelievable. Every tee box you stand on looks like the best tee shot of your life.
Fully recommend adding this to your bucket list if you are in Vegas or Mesquite.

4.1119882353