Style Desert/Links

For golfers who want real desert, making the 80-minute drive from Sin City's high-tech neon to Mesquite's low-tech neon is a road to travel.

For in Mesquite, there's not just old ladies at old-time slots. There's Wolf Creek Golf Club, an exceeding tough golf course where you might just run into a real-life road runner. This course features true desert canyons and all the wildlife that scampers across them.

The second tee box is 11 stories up. That's right, 11 stories up. Fantastic vision was encouraged at this Arnold Palmer design with helicopters being used to cart some of the rocks around and build higher holes. The bunkers are filled with crushed granite, providing another unique playing experience.

Wolf Creek was built to put Mesquite golf on the map. It succeeded.

Year Built 2000

A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 20

Missouri Advisor

As advertised....

Played in December... Only an hour outside Vegas. As advertised, great course, great views, good target golf. Lots of phenomenal views. A few quirky holes, but a super fun course. Course was in good condition. The only downfall is the range does not do justice to how nice the course is... Could use a range update. Also, pulling in, the parking lot was littered with random equipment and storage boats and rvs... Still gets a five star because the course was great.

A Destination Course

Wolf Creek is a visually stunning layout in the desert canyons of Mesquite, Nevada just about 80 minutes from Las Vegas. Weather conditions can vary dramatically throughout the year, so I watch weather reports carefully before booking a trip. I’ve only played here in late fall or winter and had great conditions both times.

The slope from our tees was 137, so it was challenging, but not in terms of length. I’m an over 60 13 handicap and I didn’t use fairway woods on too many par 4’s. The fairways were pristine and the greens were quick and smooth.....and challenging! I rarely have more than 2 3-putts a round, but this last round I had 6.

The staff was great from the greeting in the parking lot to the folks in the restaurant-which, btw, is a GREAT bargain for breakfast. It is a first class operation. The only downside is the small driving range and the fact you can’t. Hit woods there due to proximity to a small airport.

Mesquite is a great place for quality golf and inexpensive hotel rooms.

It's in the GAME!

Wolf Creek looks and feels exactly like the video game... if only I could boost in real life like my character does in Xbox.

Almost every tee ball is severely elevated, with generous landing areas. The course twists through a canyon and provides tons of views and photo ops. It's a lot of fun, fairly memorable, and totally fantasy land golf.

I wouldn't call it a hard course by any means. I'm a short hitter and did just fine from the blue tees which were as far back as they had the track set up that day. I hit a handful of tee shots from the tips because I wanted to walk out there and see the looks. The carry is maybe 10-20 yards farther between blue and black on most holes, but you're also 10-20 feet higher up too. Honestly, I didn't feel blue and black were a whole lot different.

I'd recommend anyone who plays Wolf Creek (or anywhere) - play your correct set of tee boxes. There's a ton of choices at Wolf Creek and the forward tees are very playable. That said, be sure to check out the views from a handful of the back tees - especially No. 2. The scenery is drastically different, you can still take in the view, and you won't have to worry about a 220+ carry.

While the tee shots and approaches didn't seem all that demanding, the greens were tricky as can be. There's a lot of subtle and not so subtle breaks out there. In my opinion, the practice green does not prepare you for what you'll see.

The little chipping green near the range (range was awful - irons only without much space. If you're a range rat, you'll be disappointed) is a better representation of the actual slopes, but not the speed. Some of the downhill putts were impossible to stop, and some of the uphill putts required a full turn to get the ball to the hole.

While the greens and tee boxes were a little beat up, the fairways were some of the nicest I've ever seen. I would recommend everyone play it once, regardless of your ability, but I wouldn't go out of my way to play it again.

Mesquite seems like a solid place for a golf trip. It's an easy ride from the strip and is littered with golf courses and golf paraphernalia. There's not much other than golf and glitz-free gambling, but that's plenty for the guys I know.

I'm an avid walker, but trust me when I say: take a cart. Walking that track would be next to impossible. The gas carts struggled to make it through the ridiculous amount of elevation changes on pretty much every hole.

The 19th hole boasts a solid sunset from the balcony and reasonably priced drinks. The food was average at best. All the people we met were friendly and engaging. The shop had a good SWAG selection at premium prices.

Unbelievable views

What a incredible golf experience !!! Everything from start to finish of our 18 hole experience was amazing ,,,the staff, greens, fairways and unbelievable views made this our highlight of our two week golf marathon. We will be back ! Price was a little pricey but would do it again

Awesome October Golf

I was fortunate enough to have a guys weekend in Las Vegas area. On tap was golf and football. We made the short commute over to Wolf Creek and had a very memorable round. Weather was ideal and the course matched it. They had recently over seeded and the green contrasted with the desert, true beauty. Fairways and greens were manicured.
I would put Wolf Creek on any list for golf experience you will not forget. Fun and challenging, don’t miss it.

Really?

After hearing so much about this course I finally had a chance to play it,the course itself is very scenic, what really bothered me is the cart situation.
The course has some extreme hills and the carts were your standard gas carts w/o the automatic breaks. If there was ever a course that needed the automatic braking carts, it is this one. All day long we heard screeching tires from carts that were trying to navigate the terrain, also they really need the GPS on the carts. These items would enhance the Wolf Creek experience.

daslinker
Commented on 12/04/2019

3 Stars "average" rating because you didn't like the carts? Wolf Creek is practically the Disneyland of golf, with absolutely jaw-dropping holes and perfect conditions from start to finish. How about actually rating the COURSE, because to everyone I know, there's just nothing "average" about it!

Commented on 09/01/2019

Really-

Thank you for your comments about the course and how to enhance the experience, I am however a little confused on automatic breaking. Electric carts with GPS will slow the carts if programmed to be in an action zone if that is what you are talking about. However, in the heat and with the terrain electric carts don't work for us so we have to get gas which none of the gas carts have that feature. We do have GPS for smart phones which we feel is more accurate than the carts. For the main reason - you can take the phone to the elevated tee box or parts of the course carts cant go. We also have phone chargers on the cart to make sure your phone doesn't go dead. Next time you play you will have to try it. I enjoyed your comments and look forward to your next visit.

Wolf Creek what a disappointment

We had heard such good things about Wolf Creek so we made the trip from Vegas. We are both low single figure players. The bunkers are a disgrace about 1/8" of said d and then total hardpan!! Balls when hit into the bunker will roll down the face of the bunker (like cement) and come to rest at the back edge of the bunker making a shot impossible.
The layout is fun and very scenic but until they do something about the bunkers this course should be avoided, we will not e going back.

Commented on 08/21/2019

Thank you for your comments on your day. There are a few bunkers we have yet to add sand such as 11 and 18 which is coming this fall. I sincerely apologize that the isolated bunkers tainted your experience. I am sure your next visit the bunkers will not detract from the fun and scenery.

This course is jaw dropping!

Wolf Creek in Mesquite, NV is truly something special. I have a group of golf buddies who do a yearly Vegas trip. Vegas is a great time, but I mainly go for that round of golf at Wolf Creek. This course is unlike anything I play back home or anywhere else for that matter. Each hole could be a signature hole and the elevation changes are spectacular. The desert views with the flat tops in the background is pretty cool. The greens roll really well and the course is always in great condition. Can't say enough about the staff as well, always helpful.
Every time we bring someone who hasn't played the course, they are usually in awe. We always ask if we have over hyped the course and the answer is always "No, it's even better".
The pace of play may have be a bit slow because of everyone just taking in the views and not wanting the round to end.
So if you're in Vegas to play golf, do yourself a favor and drive the 75 minutes it takes to get there. I guarantee you will not be disappointed.

Spectacular!

Wolf Creek is the experience of a lifetime! I have played numerous courses in North America and nothing surpasses the thrill ride of playing golf at Wolf Creek! From the views and the outstanding elevation changes to the condition of the course and the challenges on every hole, Wolf Creek is like no other! A golf trip to Las Vegas or Mesquite would not be complete without adding these 18 holes! Golf on!

California Advisor

Gorgeous course, great views

This is my 2nd time here, it has amazing views and scenery. The fairways are awesome, the greens are sweet, the bunkers have beautiful white sand, and there is plenty of water hazards.
I wish I could play here every week.
The course has very high elevation changes with incredible 360 degree views.

Birmingham Advisor

Roller-coaster ride in the desert

It doesn’t take long for one to figure out why this course is included in popular video games. The trek to the top of the second tee box spells it out for you.

Lush green fairways are laced between craggy rock formations. Greens are perched atop buttes and crammed into hollows. Tee boxes resemble crow’s nests in spots.

Wolf Creek is not for the faint of heart. Hit your marks or pay a heavy price. Driver is not necessary for better players on the majority of the holes. Playing to the 150-yard marker stones is a good way to mine pars.

The greens were quick, but not penal.

The bunkers were crusty and very thin. That is not due to poor maintenance - that is the way they are designed to play, so it was tough to save par from them.

I would highly encourage first-timers to plunk down $7 for a course yardage guide in the pro shop. It will save you a handful of strokes at a minimum.

The pro shop has a great selection of merchandise. The only negative I can find with the course was the limited driving range, which is irons only.

Just wow

We drove up from Phoenix just to play this course and was it with it! The pictures speak for them selves. One of the best I’ve played and the layout is insane. If you’re around the area you cannot pass it up

Exceeded all expectations

Absolute delight to play this course. Everything about it brought a smile to my face.

Course layout whilst intimidating doesn't play as difficult as it looks and therefore becomes super enjoyable.

Fairways, bunkers, greens were all in top notch condition.

Great staff and pro shop has amazing merchandise.

Whilst it was very windy, every hole was enjoyable.

Awesome Desert Golf!

Course layout is amazing.
Challenging, but fun. The contrast of the red rock hills and lush green fairways is unbelievable. Every tee box you stand on looks like the best tee shot of your life.
Fully recommend adding this to your bucket list if you are in Vegas or Mesquite.

Must play!! Well worth the drive.

I am getting married this spring so 7 of us flew to Vegas mainly to play Wolf Creek. Have always played it on Tiger Woods/Rory on PlayStation and has to see it in person. The course is everything you think it will be and much more, some of the coolest holes I have ever played. We planned the trip for when conditions would be pristine and they were definitely that. Can not say enough about how great of shape it was in. I have read some reviews complaining about pace of play, our 4 some finished in 4 hours and 45. Not the fastest round but certainly not the slowest ether. With the tee shots being so crazy with elevation changes there does tend to be back ups on the tees but with how amazing it was that’s understandable. If anyone is thinking about going you MUST!! I will be back for sure.

California Advisor

First Class!

Great experience! Course winds its way through plateaus and canyons of the Pioche Shale making a very unique and challenging track. Water comes into play on a few holes and there are some forced carries. Conditions are excellent from tee to green. The only gripe, if you can call it that, is the Par 3 third hole, which is about 175 yards from the white tees and goes to an elevated green. For the average golfer, is almost impossible to hit and seems like an out of place hole on an otherwise excellent track. All in all, great experience and will play again and again.

Commented on 04/16/2019

Loved the 3rd hole. Was def a challenge but once you get up to green and realize how high you are it’s great.

Arizona Advisor

Wolf Creek Golf Club: Like Nothing Else, Ever in Your Bucket

Bucket List courses... they exist in YOUR heart and YOUR mind for a variety of reasons. Places like Pebble Beach and Torrey Pines: You see them every year on Tour. Pinehurst and Bandon Dunes: Meccas of numerous great designs. Whistling Straits/Blackwolf Run: Pete Dye allowed total and free reign. Augusta, Oakmont, Pine Valley: Keepers of the Flame. And then you have a place like Wolf Creek Golf Club in Mesquite, Nevada, which you first saw ... on a video game?? Or, perhaps, photos that almost looked like something Loyal Chapman would have concocted (for you kids, check your Google machines, please). This is a track that makes Mr. Dye's stuff look absolutely sedate!

To say Like Nothing Else isn't hyperbole, BUT there are contenders in the area. My suggestion: Forego the Vegas golf weekend and just head North as soon as you get out of McCarran. It's a 90 mile drive to Mesquite and they have plenty of decent hotel rooms. This is a 4-some-plus type of place... a Buddies Weekend set of courses awaits. Wolf Creek is THE Alpha of the pack, for sure. Falcon Ridge and Conestoga are cut from similar cloth, while the Palms, Oasis and Casablanca courses all have a more traditional feel to them. And you always have Sand Hollow, The Ledges, Coal Canyon and Entrada an hour north, and a spectacular Jack Nicklaus design in Coyote Springs an hour south (Strong Suggestion: Play this the morning of departure as it moves you further down the road to Las Vegas and is as good a desert JWN Signature course that you will play).

Since opening in 2000, Wolf Creek has been the defining presence of Northeastern Mohave Desert Golf that is unforgettable. It has always reminded me of something akin to a moonscape with turf placed perfectly on its hills and valleys. In a good way! Holes are designed such that they indelibly etch themselves into your Mind's Eye. Try to forget what standing on the First tee looks like, feels like. Or the Fourteenth, where you have 360 degrees of awesomeness. Conditions are invariably very good to great. Staff is phenomenal, the shop well-appointed and the Grill top flite, too. You may want to book a couple of rounds here - one to commit to playing, seriously; the other, an allowance of fun and some photos. In any event, you and your friends are in for a spectacular treat.

Lastly, DON'T make this about your ego on this course. Years ago when I first played here, I could move the ball as I wished and played to a sub-scratch handicap. The Black tees were fine for me then. They measure slightly less than 7,000 yards - BUT SLOPE at 154. The Blues are right at 6,300 yards and THEY slope at 138. Look at the scorecard and see what the suggested tee is for your handicap. Believe it, at least for the first round or two that you play here. YOU will have more fun, as will your buddies. And so will EVERY SINGLE PLAYER that plays behind you that day. I promise that as a truth. Oh, and make sure that you have brought more pelotas than you would ever imagine you might need. Balls hit into the hinterlands are irretrievable, often, as those areas are prohibited from walking through and trashing. Good luck and have fun playing a TRUE BLUE one of a kind track.

daslinker
Commented on 12/04/2019

Shared my thoughts exactly- definitely include Coyote Springs on a trip North of Vegas. Wolf Creek is the golfer's Disneyland- Great review!

Commented on 09/15/2018

Spot on and well crafted review.Thanks.

Middle of Summer, No problem!!

I teed off this morning at 6:30, and I was done by 9:45. The course is in phenomenal shape, especially for the extreme heat that Mesquite has been dealing with. This is my second time playing here, and each time, I don’t care about my score. While it is a wide open course, it definitely punishes errant shots. Remember that you’ll get extra yardage in the heat.

Great views and very challenging course (slope of 154 from the championship tees.

Great views and challenging holes. Getting to the championship tees was a hike on a few holes (#2 especially). Greens were very slow and the front 9 seemed to be punched but worth a drive from Vegas. Little expensive considering that You can play any of the Paiute courses that are much better than this. However, it's worth a trip because of the uniqueness of the course. Very friendly staff and unlimited free water bottles were very helpful and really needed.

Just when I thought it couldn’t get better

I have played Wolf Creek the last three years with buddies and the conditions have never been better. I am such a big fan because you just don’t see the special landscape anywhere combined with terrific course conditions and a really fun staff. I have seen some of the same guys check me in for the last couple years. All the clubs in the bag are used resulting in some terrific fun. We play pretty quick at our flat ordinary home track. However, Wolf creek is far from normal and the typical 5 hour round was what we expected and what we have been told for the past 3 years. If your looking for the 4 hour private club pace of play at Wolf Creek you wont find it but if your a true golf lover you never want this round to end. One of the top courses I have ever played and will be back again year after year.

Littlefield, Arizona

Valid dates: Mar 06, 2020 - May 06, 2020
Talamore’s Spring Signature Package (2 Nights / 3 Rounds), starting at $325 per person.