Wolf Creek Golf Club

For golfers who want real desert, making the 80-minute drive from Sin City's high-tech neon to Mesquite's low-tech neon is a road to travel. For in Mesquite, there's not just old ladies at old-time slots. There's Wolf Creek Golf Club, an exceeding tough golf course where you might just run into a real-life road runner. This course features true desert canyons and all the wildlife that scampers across them. The second tee box is 11 stories up. That's right, 11 stories up. Fantastic vision was encouraged at this Arnold Palmer design with helicopters being used to cart some of the rocks around and build higher holes. The bunkers are filled with crushed granite, providing another unique playing experience. Wolf Creek was built to put Mesquite golf on the map. It succeeded.
Challenger 72 6939 yards 75.4 154
Champions 72 6309 yards 70.9 138
Masters 72 5798 yards 68.2 134
Signature 72 5064 yards 65.7 125
Signature (W) 72 5064 yards 68.4 127
Classics (W) 72 4101 yards 61.0 106
Scorecard for Wolf Creek Golf Club
Black M: 75.4/154 579 445 227 383 490 447 302 248 390 3511 472 215 560 350 444 125 393 562 307 3428 6939
Blue M: 70.9/138 504 429 175 307 469 415 281 217 303 3100 446 193 544 341 370 116 377 527 295 3209 6309
White M: 68.2/134 467 385 175 279 453 414 263 152 271 2859 367 166 490 301 367 113 346 511 278 2939 5798
Yellow M: 65.7/125 W: 68.4/127 457 234 173 202 363 381 263 127 236 2436 271 152 471 301 282 112 278 483 278 2628 5064
Red W: 61.0/106 396 213 79 202 327 365 221 81 209 2093 216 70 421 224 197 98 231 384 167 2008 4101

Year Built 2000

A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 19

California Advisor

First Class!

Great experience! Course winds its way through plateaus and canyons of the Pioche Shale making a very unique and challenging track. Water comes into play on a few holes and there are some forced carries. Conditions are excellent from tee to green. The only gripe, if you can call it that, is the Par 3 third hole, which is about 175 yards from the white tees and goes to an elevated green. For the average golfer, is almost impossible to hit and seems like an out of place hole on an otherwise excellent track. All in all, great experience and will play again and again.

Arizona Advisor

Wolf Creek Golf Club: Like Nothing Else, Ever in Your Bucket

Bucket List courses... they exist in YOUR heart and YOUR mind for a variety of reasons. Places like Pebble Beach and Torrey Pines: You see them every year on Tour. Pinehurst and Bandon Dunes: Meccas of numerous great designs. Whistling Straits/Blackwolf Run: Pete Dye allowed total and free reign. Augusta, Oakmont, Pine Valley: Keepers of the Flame. And then you have a place like Wolf Creek Golf Club in Mesquite, Nevada, which you first saw ... on a video game?? Or, perhaps, photos that almost looked like something Loyal Chapman would have concocted (for you kids, check your Google machines, please). This is a track that makes Mr. Dye's stuff look absolutely sedate!

To say Like Nothing Else isn't hyperbole, BUT there are contenders in the area. My suggestion: Forego the Vegas golf weekend and just head North as soon as you get out of McCarran. It's a 90 mile drive to Mesquite and they have plenty of decent hotel rooms. This is a 4-some-plus type of place... a Buddies Weekend set of courses awaits. Wolf Creek is THE Alpha of the pack, for sure. Falcon Ridge and Conestoga are cut from similar cloth, while the Palms, Oasis and Casablanca courses all have a more traditional feel to them. And you always have Sand Hollow, The Ledges, Coal Canyon and Entrada an hour north, and a spectacular Jack Nicklaus design in Coyote Springs an hour south (Strong Suggestion: Play this the morning of departure as it moves you further down the road to Las Vegas and is as good a desert JWN Signature course that you will play).

Since opening in 2000, Wolf Creek has been the defining presence of Northeastern Mohave Desert Golf that is unforgettable. It has always reminded me of something akin to a moonscape with turf placed perfectly on its hills and valleys. In a good way! Holes are designed such that they indelibly etch themselves into your Mind's Eye. Try to forget what standing on the First tee looks like, feels like. Or the Fourteenth, where you have 360 degrees of awesomeness. Conditions are invariably very good to great. Staff is phenomenal, the shop well-appointed and the Grill top flite, too. You may want to book a couple of rounds here - one to commit to playing, seriously; the other, an allowance of fun and some photos. In any event, you and your friends are in for a spectacular treat.

Lastly, DON'T make this about your ego on this course. Years ago when I first played here, I could move the ball as I wished and played to a sub-scratch handicap. The Black tees were fine for me then. They measure slightly less than 7,000 yards - BUT SLOPE at 154. The Blues are right at 6,300 yards and THEY slope at 138. Look at the scorecard and see what the suggested tee is for your handicap. Believe it, at least for the first round or two that you play here. YOU will have more fun, as will your buddies. And so will EVERY SINGLE PLAYER that plays behind you that day. I promise that as a truth. Oh, and make sure that you have brought more pelotas than you would ever imagine you might need. Balls hit into the hinterlands are irretrievable, often, as those areas are prohibited from walking through and trashing. Good luck and have fun playing a TRUE BLUE one of a kind track.

brovarnm
Commented On 09/15/2018

Spot on and well crafted review.Thanks.

Middle of Summer, No problem!!

I teed off this morning at 6:30, and I was done by 9:45. The course is in phenomenal shape, especially for the extreme heat that Mesquite has been dealing with. This is my second time playing here, and each time, I don’t care about my score. While it is a wide open course, it definitely punishes errant shots. Remember that you’ll get extra yardage in the heat.

Great views and very challenging course (slope of 154 from the championship tees.

Great views and challenging holes. Getting to the championship tees was a hike on a few holes (#2 especially). Greens were very slow and the front 9 seemed to be punched but worth a drive from Vegas. Little expensive considering that You can play any of the Paiute courses that are much better than this. However, it's worth a trip because of the uniqueness of the course. Very friendly staff and unlimited free water bottles were very helpful and really needed.

Just when I thought it couldn’t get better

I have played Wolf Creek the last three years with buddies and the conditions have never been better. I am such a big fan because you just don’t see the special landscape anywhere combined with terrific course conditions and a really fun staff. I have seen some of the same guys check me in for the last couple years. All the clubs in the bag are used resulting in some terrific fun. We play pretty quick at our flat ordinary home track. However, Wolf creek is far from normal and the typical 5 hour round was what we expected and what we have been told for the past 3 years. If your looking for the 4 hour private club pace of play at Wolf Creek you wont find it but if your a true golf lover you never want this round to end. One of the top courses I have ever played and will be back again year after year.

Fun and Challenging and a Little over the Top

I studied up on the courses of Mesquite for months leading up to my solo trip with only golf in mind. My research brought me to Wolf Creek, Conestoga, Coyote Springs and Sand Hollow down the road. I would score them in that order.

I lusted after WC online for a month in advance and was not disappointed. Had the course to myself as I was the 1st out on a Monday morning. It's target golf for sure. If that is not your thing, it's best to shoot elsewhere. I suggest Coyote Springs or maybe one of the casino courses nearby.

WC is like Disneyland and Halloween mixed in to one. I must admit, holes 2-5 made me a little anxious. The course conditions though, were impeccable. I didn't see a single weed until the 13th teebox. A dandilion, and I removed it myself (OCD?).

Those posting negative reviews of WC are the same people who complain that "The ice cream is far too smooth and creamy." or maybe "The bed in the hotel was way to pillowy and comfortable...."

As for myself, I love pillowy beds, smooth ice cream and my prime rib when it's TOO tender and juicy! I'm back to researching courses in Mesquite for an October return and guess what? Lusting after the pictures of WC once again on the ole computer!

Wholehearted endorsement for this once, er' twice in a lifetime course. Great staff, beautiful surroundings, coupled with a big challenge of your game.

Need a marshal

The pace of play was brutal. Group in front obviously never learned any course etiquette. 5 to 10 minute wait on every shot with several open holes in front of them. Probably should play this course once. But if you are a serious golfer, I doubt you will play it twice. Nice views, not a good golf course layout. "Valet" at end of round was in such a hurry to try and get his tip, he didn't even wait until we were on the green to drive up and start trying to wash our clubs. Very annoying and unprofessional.

Commented On 04/25/2018

I appreciate your review Wildfiregolf. Wolf Creek is a special place and have fans all over the world. We do occasionally get someone like yourself that doesn't appreciate the uniqueness of this experience. However we do understand it isn't for everyone and are happy you gave it a try. I do have to question your brutal pace of play comments. You basically cant see the hole or holes in front of you because they are all in canyons and 5 min every shot would put you at 450 minutes or over 7.5 hours not including travel to your shots or next hole. The math doesn't work.

Needs Clowns and Windmills, and Gooney Golf in the Title

Perfect example of a extremely badly designed course that wows golfers with views and artificial features. Best example: a concrete waterfall about 100 yards short of the 18th green - has absolutely nothing to do with playing the hole, isn't a backdrop to anything, isn't even a very enjoyable water feature. Everything about the course is artificial except (maybe) the original terrain. Even the views are spoiled by what look like strip mines and construction all around.

Commented On 12/13/2017

DrSchteeve,

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. We are blessed to have golfers travel from all over the world to see and play Wolf Creek. Not sure how it is artificial when the golf course is carved out of the original terrain. The 200 ft elevation changes are real as well as the box canyons. You are correct though in that water in the desert is artificial. We think of Wolf Creek as a golfers wonderland.

Texas Advisor

Straight Outta Golden Tee

The most obvious thing about this course, and the one thing I think everyone can agree on... is that it is GORGEOUS! Like nothing you've ever seen stunning. The drama of the elevation, the contrast of the green and the sand, the mountains and the sky. Wow.

In our group there was far less agreement about how the course actually was! Some people found it a little gimmicky, mainly sighting that nearly every hole has dramatic elevation changes to overcome. Others loved it because the conditions were flawless and (elevation aside) there was good variety among the holes.

Personally, I thought the course was a blast. It was like playing a video game, and I just wanted to see how ridiculous of a shot I could hit sometimes... "Can I really just cut right over that mountain and get to the green?" is something our group said more than once.

Between the immaculate conditioning and the fun I had, I really want to give the course 5 stars, but for some reason it just never felt serious. I can't quite put it in the same category as Pebble Beach or Bethpage. However, this is almost certainly the most unique golf course I've ever played and I think it's absolutely worth playing.

California Advisor

Gorgeous course and views

Upon arrival, the views are incredible.

We paid our fees and went to the driving range, they DO NOT ALLOW drivers, they ONLY allow irons on the range.

Today was cart path rules only as they did and "over-seed" here too. This is not a course that you can walk. We were worn out at days end! This is by far the most gorgeous course I have ever seen. It is very hilly and very challenging. You are paying for the scenery, not the round of golf.

One thing about the rate that you pay ($125.00), you would think that this nice of a course and at these rates, the carts would have GPS on them

I can't wait to come back and play again, hopefully I can ride the fairways instead of walking. Yes, I am aware of the 90 degree role, but there are still a lot of hills to navigate from cart to ball and back to cart. I bet I walked 8 miles today.

The staff was very friendly and helpful. I had an issue with the color at the hosel of one of my clubs, I asked if someone had some tools to help me fix it, so he went to the shop and brought out some pliers for me to use. THANK YOU!!!

There are no food/drink carts on the course, however there is a snack bar that you can stop at 2 times.

There was a young lady at 18 that asked if we needed our clubs washed. That is a nice idea. Please tip her well.

I really look forward to coming back.

Excellent layout, conditions, staff, and scenery

This may be the first review I’ve ever written, inspired by the fabulous experience my friends and I have had at Wolf Creek each year for the last 15 years. We take advantage of Wolf Creek’s killer late-September, post-seeding deal of unlimited golf for 2 days for a set price, always playing at least 36 holes each day.

We are all successful professionals in our late 50s who have known each other since high school and who could afford to go wherever we choose for our annual reunion, but Wolf Creek keeps calling us back. We come from far flung places (L.A., Salt Lake, Chicago, Albuquerque, and D.C.) to enjoy a course layout, scenery, conditions, and staff that are uniformly excellent. There are numerous elevated tees with spectacular views, often on dogleg holes that reward reasonably accurate placement and distance. Challenging but fair. For most of us, it is the best course we’ve ever played.

Fantastic

Played this course the day after it re-opened from over seeding. The greens we a little sandy but still rolled fine. Not only was the course was a challenge, driving the cart was as well.. The view from about every tee box was outstanding and really made you think what & where you wanted to hit. Really enjoyed playing this course and only lost 2 golf balls...

2 nd time

playing the course from blue tees. it had been awhile since playing it and was looking forward to the return trip. but, big surprise - it did not live up to the expectations created by my first time playing or the other current reviews.

pratice facility was basic, but you could not warm up the driver - a club that you need more then any other for this track.

the carts did not have club/ball washer - the guy said it was a nuisance to maintain - did i mention the red clay ?

Yes, the views are fantastic but course conditions were poor. greens had not recovered from punching and were inconsistent and slow. fairways were patchy and thin. tee boxes were chewed up and unlevel. still, i managed a pretty decent round.

the course ranger was best part of the round - nice guy.

a must play course - but definately overrated with all the accolades.

Commented On 11/18/2017

Dear RelJ,

Thank you for your comments. I am guessing when you mention it didn't live up to your expectations has nothing to do with the range or the club washers because they haven't changed from your first visit.

Typically in the summer time with 100 degree plus temps the course is good but not in pristine condition. We recognize this and set the rates appropriately at this time. Perhaps you can visit us in peak season when I am sure you will find the course in amazing shape.

Derekr22
Commented On 08/20/2017

3 stars seriously? If you judge courses on driving ranges and ball washers then you should stop reviewing golf courses and skewing the ratings.

One of the best in the desert

I have played multiple courses in the Arizona/las Vegas area and this is definitely one of the best. If you are visiting the desert and want good views along with your round, then this is the best there is. The course is always in fantastic shape. It does not play long due to the multiple elevated tee boxes, but still provides a good test. Anyone who writes a bad review on this course should not be taken seriously for further golf reviews. It is definitely worth the drive and money compared to the other options in the Las Vegas area.

No Whiners Tournament - Wolf Creek GC

Wolf Creek GC, Enough said. This course always appears in the top 25 of public courses in the nation. The problem - after you play Wolf Creek, everything else will seem vanilla. The course is in impeccable shape, the views are breathtaking; the perfect match between Mother Nature and an intelligent course architect. The greens were smooth, hard, and fast. A few holes have blind shots to make you think about course management. Some of the elevated tee boxes make you think about distance (too short or long and you have trouble).

Overall it is the most fantastic course I have ever played. I enjoyed it and you will too.

Elevated greens

This is a magnificent golf course. The only thing I did not care for was the elevated greens. I consider myself a pretty good wedge player and trying to stop a ball on a surface well above the fairway is impossible. I had 5 or 6 shots land anywhere from 3 to 10 feet from the pin and every putt was a 20 or 30 footer. Other than that this place is amazing!

World Class Golf Corse

This course is spectacular. The view off the first tee is breathtaking. There are multiple holes where it looks like sod was dropped from a plane and they made a golf hole out of it. Staff is great prices are not bad a bit on the high side but I still pay it every year! Highly recommend playing here! If you haven’t played it before I recommend getting the first tee time of the day and re round!

Disneys version of Golf

This course is so much fun to play. The elevation drops, the green canyons below, red sand cliffs and the bright white bunkers are an amazing backdrop for golf and photos. The course is in impeccable shape. Its Disney because of the anticipation of an incredible day of golf you don't see anywhere in the world. It certainly lives up to all the hype. The conditions, Service, and friendly down-home atmosphere makes the day complete.

What a treat

Teed off at 11 on a beautiful, but slightly warm day. Every hole is unique and challenging in it's own way. A stray tee shots are penalized, but a good tee shots will reward you with an easy shot on to the green. There are many burial grounds for prov1s so choose your weapon wisely. The greens were also tricky as they were fairly fast with very subtle breaks. This course would be even better with gps units on carts or even an alternative caddie service. Overall, an excellent course.

I greatly enjoyed playing this course. I was a single, and was lucky to play by myself under 4 hours with no one in front (I played on a Wed, 930am teetime). Course personnel was very friendly. I have about 6 pictures from the tee boxes that could be postcards for ' the prettiest golf course ever ' . It was windy and a few tee shots were intimidating. I would love to play this course again, with a little more course knowledge I have now. My garmin saved my many times. Well worth the $$.

Littlefield, Arizona