Wolf Creek Golf Club

Masters 72 5798 yards 68.2 134
Signature 72 5064 yards 65.7 125
Signature (W) 72 5064 yards 68.4 127
Classics (W) 72 4101 yards 61.0 106

For golfers who want real desert, making the 80-minute drive from Sin City's high-tech neon to Mesquite's low-tech neon is a road to travel.

For in Mesquite, there's not just old ladies at old-time slots. There's Wolf Creek Golf Club, an exceeding tough golf course where you might just run into a real-life road runner. This course features true desert canyons and all the wildlife that scampers across them.

The second tee box is 11 stories up. That's right, 11 stories up. Fantastic vision was encouraged at this Arnold Palmer design with helicopters being used to cart some of the rocks around and build higher holes. The bunkers are filled with crushed granite, providing another unique playing experience.

Wolf Creek was built to put Mesquite golf on the map. It succeeded.

Location is worth the drive   Great for a bucket list/top 100 pick wildlife/ scenic views advanced golfers   Challenges include elevation changes forced carries bunkers   Great for drinks

"Just when I thought it couldn’t get better"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/13/2018

I have played Wolf Creek the last three years with buddies and the conditions have never been better. I am such a big fan because you just don’t see the special landscape anywhere combined with terrific course conditions and a really fun staff. I have seen some of the same guys check me in for the last couple years. All the clubs in the bag are used resulting in some terrific fun. We play pretty quick at our flat ordinary home track. However, Wolf creek is far from normal and the typical 5 hour round was what we expected and what we have been told for the past 3 years. If your looking for the 4 hour private club pace of play at Wolf Creek you wont find it but if your a true golf lover you never want this round to end. One of the top courses I have ever played and will be back again year after year.

"Need a marshal"

wildfiregolf's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/02/2018

The pace of play was brutal. Group in front obviously never learned any course etiquette. 5 to 10 minute wait on every shot with several open holes in front of them. Probably should play this course once. But if you are a serious golfer, I doubt you will play it twice. Nice views, not a good golf course layout. "Valet" at end of round was in such a hurry to try and get his tip, he didn't even wait until we were on the green to drive up and start trying to wash our clubs. Very annoying and unprofessional.

Commented on 04/25/2018

I appreciate your review Wildfiregolf. Wolf Creek is a special place and have fans all over the world. We do occasionally get someone like yourself that doesn't appreciate the uniqueness of this experience. However we do understand it isn't for everyone and are happy you gave it a try. I do have to question your brutal pace of play comments. You basically cant see the hole or holes in front of you because they are all in canyons and 5 min every shot would put you at 450 minutes or over 7.5 hours not including travel to your shots or next hole. The math doesn't work.

"Needs Clowns and Windmills, and Gooney Golf in the Title"

DrSchteeve's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/17/2017
First time playing Used cart Windy weather

Perfect example of a extremely badly designed course that wows golfers with views and artificial features. Best example: a concrete waterfall about 100 yards short of the 18th green - has absolutely nothing to do with playing the hole, isn't a backdrop to anything, isn't even a very enjoyable water feature. Everything about the course is artificial except (maybe) the original terrain. Even the views are spoiled by what look like strip mines and construction all around.

Course Layout: Poor

Commented on 12/13/2017

DrSchteeve,

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. We are blessed to have golfers travel from all over the world to see and play Wolf Creek. Not sure how it is artificial when the golf course is carved out of the original terrain. The 200 ft elevation changes are real as well as the box canyons. You are correct though in that water in the desert is artificial. We think of Wolf Creek as a golfers wonderland.

"Straight Outta Golden Tee"

toothysaw2's avatar
Texas Advisor

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/23/2017
First time playing Perfect weather

The most obvious thing about this course, and the one thing I think everyone can agree on... is that it is GORGEOUS! Like nothing you've ever seen stunning. The drama of the elevation, the contrast of the green and the sand, the mountains and the sky. Wow.

In our group there was far less agreement about how the course actually was! Some people found it a little gimmicky, mainly sighting that nearly every hole has dramatic elevation changes to overcome. Others loved it because the conditions were flawless and (elevation aside) there was good variety among the holes.

Personally, I thought the course was a blast. It was like playing a video game, and I just wanted to see how ridiculous of a shot I could hit sometimes... "Can I really just cut right over that mountain and get to the green?" is something our group said more than once.

Between the immaculate conditioning and the fun I had, I really want to give the course 5 stars, but for some reason it just never felt serious. I can't quite put it in the same category as Pebble Beach or Bethpage. However, this is almost certainly the most unique golf course I've ever played and I think it's absolutely worth playing.

"Gorgeous course and views"

Titaniumhen's avatar
California Advisor

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/24/2017
First time playing Perfect weather

Upon arrival, the views are incredible.

We paid our fees and went to the driving range, they DO NOT ALLOW drivers, they ONLY allow irons on the range.

Today was cart path rules only as they did and "over-seed" here too. This is not a course that you can walk. We were worn out at days end! This is by far the most gorgeous course I have ever seen. It is very hilly and very challenging. You are paying for the scenery, not the round of golf.

One thing about the rate that you pay ($125.00), you would think that this nice of a course and at these rates, the carts would have GPS on them

I can't wait to come back and play again, hopefully I can ride the fairways instead of walking. Yes, I am aware of the 90 degree role, but there are still a lot of hills to navigate from cart to ball and back to cart. I bet I walked 8 miles today.

The staff was very friendly and helpful. I had an issue with the color at the hosel of one of my clubs, I asked if someone had some tools to help me fix it, so he went to the shop and brought out some pliers for me to use. THANK YOU!!!

There are no food/drink carts on the course, however there is a snack bar that you can stop at 2 times.

There was a young lady at 18 that asked if we needed our clubs washed. That is a nice idea. Please tip her well.

I really look forward to coming back.

"Excellent layout, conditions, staff, and scenery"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/23/2017

This may be the first review I’ve ever written, inspired by the fabulous experience my friends and I have had at Wolf Creek each year for the last 15 years. We take advantage of Wolf Creek’s killer late-September, post-seeding deal of unlimited golf for 2 days for a set price, always playing at least 36 holes each day.

We are all successful professionals in our late 50s who have known each other since high school and who could afford to go wherever we choose for our annual reunion, but Wolf Creek keeps calling us back. We come from far flung places (L.A., Salt Lake, Chicago, Albuquerque, and D.C.) to enjoy a course layout, scenery, conditions, and staff that are uniformly excellent. There are numerous elevated tees with spectacular views, often on dogleg holes that reward reasonably accurate placement and distance. Challenging but fair. For most of us, it is the best course we’ve ever played.

"Fantastic"

John8757058's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/22/2017

Played this course the day after it re-opened from over seeding. The greens we a little sandy but still rolled fine. Not only was the course was a challenge, driving the cart was as well.. The view from about every tee box was outstanding and really made you think what & where you wanted to hit. Really enjoyed playing this course and only lost 2 golf balls...

"2 nd time"

RELJ's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/14/2017

playing the course from blue tees. it had been awhile since playing it and was looking forward to the return trip. but, big surprise - it did not live up to the expectations created by my first time playing or the other current reviews.

pratice facility was basic, but you could not warm up the driver - a club that you need more then any other for this track.

the carts did not have club/ball washer - the guy said it was a nuisance to maintain - did i mention the red clay ?

Yes, the views are fantastic but course conditions were poor. greens had not recovered from punching and were inconsistent and slow. fairways were patchy and thin. tee boxes were chewed up and unlevel. still, i managed a pretty decent round.

the course ranger was best part of the round - nice guy.

a must play course - but definately overrated with all the accolades.

Commented on 11/18/2017

Dear RelJ,

Thank you for your comments. I am guessing when you mention it didn't live up to your expectations has nothing to do with the range or the club washers because they haven't changed from your first visit.

Typically in the summer time with 100 degree plus temps the course is good but not in pristine condition. We recognize this and set the rates appropriately at this time. Perhaps you can visit us in peak season when I am sure you will find the course in amazing shape.

Commented on 08/20/2017

3 stars seriously? If you judge courses on driving ranges and ball washers then you should stop reviewing golf courses and skewing the ratings.

"One of the best in the desert"

Derekr22's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/03/2017

I have played multiple courses in the Arizona/las Vegas area and this is definitely one of the best. If you are visiting the desert and want good views along with your round, then this is the best there is. The course is always in fantastic shape. It does not play long due to the multiple elevated tee boxes, but still provides a good test. Anyone who writes a bad review on this course should not be taken seriously for further golf reviews. It is definitely worth the drive and money compared to the other options in the Las Vegas area.

"No Whiners Tournament - Wolf Creek GC"

Cops1998's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/20/2017
First time playing Used cart Hot weather

Wolf Creek GC, Enough said. This course always appears in the top 25 of public courses in the nation. The problem - after you play Wolf Creek, everything else will seem vanilla. The course is in impeccable shape, the views are breathtaking; the perfect match between Mother Nature and an intelligent course architect. The greens were smooth, hard, and fast. A few holes have blind shots to make you think about course management. Some of the elevated tee boxes make you think about distance (too short or long and you have trouble).

Overall it is the most fantastic course I have ever played. I enjoyed it and you will too.

"Elevated greens"

playhogan's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/09/2017
First time playing Used cart Windy weather

This is a magnificent golf course. The only thing I did not care for was the elevated greens. I consider myself a pretty good wedge player and trying to stop a ball on a surface well above the fairway is impossible. I had 5 or 6 shots land anywhere from 3 to 10 feet from the pin and every putt was a 20 or 30 footer. Other than that this place is amazing!

"World Class Golf Corse"

Bronxbomber44's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/12/2017

This course is spectacular. The view off the first tee is breathtaking. There are multiple holes where it looks like sod was dropped from a plane and they made a golf hole out of it. Staff is great prices are not bad a bit on the high side but I still pay it every year! Highly recommend playing here! If you haven’t played it before I recommend getting the first tee time of the day and re round!

"Disneys version of Golf"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/12/2017
Previously played Used cart Windy weather

This course is so much fun to play. The elevation drops, the green canyons below, red sand cliffs and the bright white bunkers are an amazing backdrop for golf and photos. The course is in impeccable shape. Its Disney because of the anticipation of an incredible day of golf you don't see anywhere in the world. It certainly lives up to all the hype. The conditions, Service, and friendly down-home atmosphere makes the day complete.

"What a treat"

sooner90's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/10/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Teed off at 11 on a beautiful, but slightly warm day. Every hole is unique and challenging in it's own way. A stray tee shots are penalized, but a good tee shots will reward you with an easy shot on to the green. There are many burial grounds for prov1s so choose your weapon wisely. The greens were also tricky as they were fairly fast with very subtle breaks. This course would be even better with gps units on carts or even an alternative caddie service. Overall, an excellent course.

"Great course"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/19/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

I greatly enjoyed playing this course. I was a single, and was lucky to play by myself under 4 hours with no one in front (I played on a Wed, 930am teetime). Course personnel was very friendly. I have about 6 pictures from the tee boxes that could be postcards for ' the prettiest golf course ever ' . It was windy and a few tee shots were intimidating. I would love to play this course again, with a little more course knowledge I have now. My garmin saved my many times. Well worth the $$.

"Most Incredible Course I've Ever Played"

mvanscoyoc13's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/17/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

If you're a +4 or better and don't mind sucking some wind, you'll thank yourself for walking the extra distance to the tips for the views alone. However, don't make the course any more challenging than it already is - especially if you're not at the top of your game! With 5 sets of tees, the course is masterfully designed so it can challenge and aesthetically please all experienced golfers.

The course was in phenomenal condition; just coming out of over-seed. The staff and their courtesies just added to what was already a great day on a top-caliber golf course. Also, don't overlook their restaurant (highly recommend the chorizo breakfast burrito and chorizo nachos).

I played TPC San Antonio the week prior and thought that was something else...then I came here. Wow. If you're so lucky to have the privilege to even consider playing this track, don't think twice - play it and good luck on hole 8.

"Sloooow"

Scott8905514's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/14/2016

Played October 12 and October 14. 5+ hour round on the 14th and nearly 3 hours to the turn on the 14th. I gave up. It's a beautiful course, but if you want a six hour round you can queue up behind the fivesomes at your local muni. and get that for well under $180 a round. It's a shame because the course is unique and challenging. i told the pro shop there were 10 carts lined up to play hole number 3 and he shrugged like that didn't run contrary to their policy at all.

"Worst treatment ever"

Brad4528395's avatar
Age:  Under 25

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/27/2016

My friends an I drove 6 hours to play there. 12:55 tee time on a Saturday. The course had been scalped to prepare for over seeding. The problem was the treatment from cart person as well as pro shop attendant. We played the front in 3 hours because we let three groups go through. The kid came out on 10 tee an said "hurry up I don't want to be here all night" then the pro said " I've got guys on the clock just for you" really!!!!! We finished at 6 pm. I guess that's too late for employees to actually appreciate business. It's no wonder the course looked terrible with businesses out of business all around it. I've never been talked to worse than what I did this past weekend. I will not return to see the course after over seeding. I'll stay in Scottsdale where business is appreciated.

Commented on 11/18/2017

Dear Brad,

Thank you for your comments. I apologize for our staff and the manner in which they asked you to pick up the pace. We appreciate you allowing the other groups play through. We are very sensitive to slow play, so when we see an advanced player like yourself turn the front side in 3 hours with only two afternoon groups on the course it is of concern - 6 hours in never acceptable. We are grateful you were able to play the back in 2 hours. We have addressed the staff shortcomings and hope show you our improved service.

"So Unique You Must Play Again to Appreciate"

CUIGOLFER's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/01/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

The first time I played the course I was a little overwhelmed. It is so unique with the hills and elevation changes, I had to get my bearings the first round. The second round was definitely better. This was my third round in 2 years and it gets better each time. I finally started to enjoy and appreciate the great views from each shot. I played during the 115 degree heat of the summer and surprised at the great shape of the course. Fairways were great and the greens held on the fly. I stuffed myself with a side of pancakes at the Terrace restaurant because I didn't realize the breakfast orders are also served with potato hash and toast. Plus the pro shop staff helped replace my shoes that fell apart the day before and purchase a nice shirt and hat for my tournament. A good selection of merchandise for everyone.

"Wolf Creek does not disappoint"

tjohannest's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/25/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Average weather

Wolf Creek is just a great golf experience. It not overly long, we played the 6300 yard tees, but so many elevation changes and the greens are a challenge.

Have been to Mesquite and played it twice now, its just a great track, one of my all time favorites.

Driving a cart can be a little hairy at times as many steep slopes, and the carts dont seem to have restrictors so you hear about a lot of crashes and accidents and even going down the hills the brakes lock on you and you hear skidding brakes throughout the day.

But the scenery is outstanding and the golf course is fantastic.