Type Resort/Semi-Private

Old Greenwood, host of the 2020 Barracuda Championship on the PGA Tour, is widely regarded as one of the best public courses ever designed by Jack Nicklaus. It features a beautiful mountain backdrop in the High Sierras, winding through an exclusive neighborhood of homes. Tall pines line its twisting fairways. Deep bunkers and water hazards guard demanding Nicklaus greens. The facility, part of the Tahoe Mountain Club, is also home to a golf academy with one of the best practice facilities in northern California.

Old Greenwood Golf Course

Year Built 2004
Fairways Blue Grass
Golf Season May - Octomber
Architect Jack Nicklaus (2004)

Credit Cards Accepted Yes

Bar, Grill, Restaurant

Clubhouse

Available Activities

Swimming, Billiards

Available Sports

Tennis

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in California (2017 #17)

Amazing!

Old Greenwood is fantastic! A guaranteed challenge for a first time players. Additionally I played 1 week prior to their PGA event. Conditions were amazing and difficult with extra thick first and second cut rough and fast greens. Pin placement was evil. The course was buzzing with activity which slightly distracted from the serenity of an absolute picture perfect course. Play this course and then play it many times again, you will enjoy every round. I have not had the opportunity to spend time using off course facilities, however, staff was friendly, helpful, and eager to assist.

Tough bunkers

Gorgeous course with tough bunkers and sloping greens many options for tough pin placements!

Excellent Course

Old Greenwood is in excellent playing conditions. The greens are fast but fair. The tees we played were to long. I recommend playing the tees that fit you best.

Superb experience

This is one of NorCal’s finest offerings.
Great scenic layout, superbly maintained. Great clubhouse and very friendly and welcoming staff. Grass driving range with plenty of room and targets as well as unlimited balls-part of green fee.
Only complaint-pin placements were downright wicked. All in all though a great place to play

Late Afternoon

Everything about the course was exceptional, except my play. We played late...after 4:00pm and the greens were still in great shape. Unfortunately I was in a number of green side bunkers and even they were in shape, considering the lack of rakes during the Covid conditions. I believe they’ll be ready for the PGA at the end of the month!

Worst customer service ever

Booked a round for what I thought was a Saturday, made the mistake of not double checking the date and accidentally booked it for the next day (Wed), got notification I was charged the full $480 for a missed tee time, called the course and spoke with Travis, head iof golf, wanted to make the Saturday tee times (which was an additional $70 ea) and apply the $480 to that, he flat out refused to even budge on any type of negotiation or reverse the charges, if your course needs the money that desperately maybe a review of business practices might be a good idea, worst customer service I have ever experienced in my 45 years in golf

slow play at first but marshal took care of the problem.

slow play at first but marshal took care of the problem. I always hear to expect slow play at resort courses. I think that is total bull. golf is a tough business so if you don't manage pace of play responsively then even golf now will not save a public course that is privately owned.

give old greenwood high marks in all respects. they have an excellent course and manage it effectively.

One of Jack's Finest Designs - Perfect Condition

Played the course for the first time and I was really impressed by the following items:

1. Staff friendliness
2. Fairways and greens - perfect condition and the the greens were running fast.
3. Grill - good food and drink at a reasonable price.

It is important to note that multiple courses in the Truckee / Tahoe area have been severly hit by a long and hard winter and are falling behind geting thier courses in shape and providing a :fair value" for the money. This is not the case for Old Greenwood. I think you be pleased with challenge, the condition and the views. If I come back to the Tahoe area, this would be my first choice.

Family time on Old Greenwood

This was a first for the Deegan family - heading out to play nine holes together. Old Greenwood is a tough place to break in a bunch of beginners, but we caught a nice window with no one else behind us that afternoon. My teenagers hit a few tee shots and a few chips and putts, while mom stayed in the cart. I played most of the course, which is a beast. There are a few too many bunkers for my tastes, but the entire property is gorgeous, winding through forest and million-dollar homes. A pond makes the par-5 7th and par-3 8th treacherous. Next time, I'll take my beginners to the "golf academy", a proper place to learn the game with chipping areas and lots of space to hit shots. It's as good of a range/practice facility as any out west.

Good resort course

Its another 4 star course. A bit over priced although I got $110 special. It's worth 110 but the regular price of $200 is way over priced. Played much better Nicklaus courses for less

N/A

This was a fun course to play in one of the best settings you can find. Interesting terrain cut in the middle of the forest. Landscaping was exceptional. Would definitely play again on return trip.

Very, Very, Very Awesome

A spectacular course that will eat your lunch if you're not playing well. Amazing conditions from the outdoor bar & sitting area to driving range to all 18 holes! This was our second visit to Old Greenwood, and my brother and I played 36 holes. We'll play it again if we come back to the area. Bring your "A" game and don't be afraid to play up one tee especially if it's your first time playing the course.

Beautiful course, but very slow

The course was very nice & well maintained. Greens were a bit rough and didn't roll true. The biggest issue was pace of play... took 5 hours to play 18 and no marshal on the course to keep things moving. We had to wait at least 5 minutes on every tee - and others were stacking up behind us.

Course Conditions

Easily one of the best-kept and well-maintained courses I've ever played on. The only exception to this was the greens, which I'd give 4/5 but does not detract from my overall rating or experience.

Very challenging course with fantastic views throughout.

The clubhouse was nice and the practice facilities were also fantastic.

One of Tahoe's best

Jack Nicklaus painted a masterpiece on a perfect canvass of trees and elevation changes. It certainly belongs in the conversation of the best courses near Lake Tahoe and the best of northern California.
The greens were the fastest of the five courses I played in the Lake Tahoe region that week.
Some of the bunkers are downright vicious, so make sure you miss greens in the right spots.
Like my colleague Mike Bailey, I found the food and beverage service sorely lacking. My group specifically came for lunch, thinking a highly regarded course would have some nice options. The outdoor grill only serves normal fare (hamburgers, wraps, hot dogs, etc.) that tasted fine until you factor in the prices charged.
The Academy, which features a massive range, practice park and great indoor studio manned by a top 100 teacher, has become an incubator for junior golf. The range is so long - 400-yards-plus - that three recent world long-drive champions have practiced there.

Georgia Advisor

Best Nicklaus design west of the Mississippi

What a buetifuel track! Old greenwood is a great course nestled in magnificent Lake Tahoe. The scenery just heading to the course is just immaculate. The buetifuel trees and magnificent setting set a high bar for course standards. The 7,567 yard course from the tips in a beast and with the elevation changes and elevated greens if your anything higher then a 12 handicap please play from the whites so that you don't hold up play. The mountain views are also very pretty. Jack Nicklaus had lots of land and money for this course and he delivered. The courses prices can range anywhere from 75 to 220$ and with lunch tack on another 15-20$. Overall the course is very enjoyable and a must play if in the area.

Terrific Nicklaus design

If you like Jack Nicklaus designs, you'll love Old Greenwood. The holes are well thought-out and plenty challenging as all Nicklaus courses are. It's also in extremely good condition, which is what you'd expect from a course that charges upwards of two bills to play. Mountain scenery is also incredible. My only complaint -- and I'm always amazed when I see this from a premium daily fee -- is the food and beverage service for the golfers. Stopping at the clubhouse for some food was next to impossible -- and we were later told by the marshal that we weren't supposed to do that (that's a first) -- because you can't hardly get there from the ninth green. The F&B is also somewhat overpriced - I paid close to $20 for a tuna salad sandwich, chips and soda.

If I could give 6 stars, I would.

Played the course with a group of friends and had a fantastic time. The staff was great, very friendly and helpful. The facilities are first rate, well stocked pro shop with an incredible seating area above the 18th green to have a drink after your round.

Old Greenwood is not cheap to play, but worth the money. The practice facility is fantastic, with separate putting and chipping greens. The fairways were lush, and the greens fast and difficult.

If you spray the ball, stay away. The rough isn't difficult, but if you stray off the rough you are in the woods and impossible ground cover. There is water on the course that comes into play.

Be prepared to hit the ball much further then you do at lower altitude! I was a club and a half longer then usual which takes some time getting used to!

The only reason I would give Old Greenwood 4 Stars instead of 5 is the pace of play, the first 5 holes were very slow. This may have to do with people searching for lost golf balls, but also from the forward tee's the par 5's are reachable in two.

A must play!