Bear's Best Las Vegas

GPS: Yes

Golf school / academy: Yes - "Paul Wilson Golf School"

At Bear's Best, a 7,194-yard track about 20 minutes from The Strip, the Jack Nicklaus design team stuck to recreating holes from other Jack desert designs, making them actually almost fit into the natural surroundings. (Aside from the black sand bunkers and that's just so cool, you don't mind).

Plus, they made the fairways wide, giving your ordinary golfer a good chance to get through the day smiling. You won't post a career-low score at Bear's Best, but you won't lose four sleeves of balls, either.

Four of the holes are replicas from Desert Mountain in Scottsdale, but also features holes from Nicklaus' Spain and Mexico work. The best thing about Bear's Best may be how the Nicklaus team, often accused of making their courses too tough, kept the average hacker in mind.

Yet what really sets Bear's Best up as a great play is the service. Every foursome gets their own forecaddie and the staff can make you feel like a VIP.

"Bear's Best is probably the greatest overall experience we've had on a course," regular Las Vegas golf visitor Josh Isadore said. "The guys are still talking about it."

Location is convenient to the city worth the drive in the 'burbs   Great for advanced golfers wildlife/ scenic views a weekend splurge   Challenges include bunkers elevation changes forced carries   Great for drinks patio dining 19th hole scenic views

"Great Course"

shogren77's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/16/2018

Course is always in excellent shape. My friends and I did the 2 golfers for $100, 2 sleeves of balls, 2 drinks. The problem was they need to specify what kind of drink. We took the ticket to get drinks and we found out they were only for $4 off or a soda. Probably should specify the drink so people aren't surprised. Then they couldn't get the discount applied to the drink. Literally took 10 minutes to get 1 rang through. Saw the beverage cart on hole 4. She said she would see us in a couple holes. Didn't see her until 17. Great course but the staffing could use some work on this day.

anderson0401's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/29/2018

Response from Bear's Best Las Vegas on 05/31/2018:

Great! We're pleased that you enjoyed our course and we appreciate your review. We hope to have you back again soon!

"Excellent course, healing from aeration"

Ronstam's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/29/2018

I had played Bear's Best a few times when it first opened nearly 20 years ago and finally returned. Late May in NV so it was warm (mid 90s) but the weather was real pleasant for my late afternoon round.

The course is definitely a challenge if playing the "wrong" tees. I played some holes from the green (6628 yds) and it was tough and some holes from the white (6043 yds) and it was pretty easy. I am about a 10 HDCP who hits the ball average distance.

Unfortunately the greens had been aerated a week or two prior and the greens were extremely slow. The rest of the course was in pretty good shape, but not immaculate. Some bunkers were very thin on sand. Many greens did not hold. But overall it was fine.

The course is in a beautiful location up in the hills of Summerlin and some of the views are spectacular. Speaking of spectacular, it is worth playing the course just to see the mega mansions that border most of it.

Look forward to playing Bear's Best again when the course is in pristine shape.

Response from Bear's Best Las Vegas on 05/31/2018:

Awesome! We're glad that you enjoyed our course and the challenge it presented. We appreciate your review and we're glad that you made it back to our course after 20 years. We look forward to having you back again soon at Bear's Best Las Vegas!

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/27/2018
First time playing Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

Response from Bear's Best Las Vegas on 05/30/2018:

Great! Glad you enjoyed your time with us!

"Everything was excellent"

oldyrok's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/20/2018
First time playing Used cart Verified Purchaser

Great course, excellent facilities, excellent service!! One of my new favorite Vegas courses.

Response from Bear's Best Las Vegas on 06/04/2018:

Terrific! We're thrilled that you enjoyed our course and that our staff left a great impression on you. We're honored that we are one of your favorite Las Vegas courses and we can't wait to have you back again soon at Bear's Best Las Vegas!

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/19/2018

Beverage Cart service almost non existent

Grill not available at turn. When was told by grill chef that he would take care of us but no show at turn. Also inside they were too busy taking care of goups who finished and ignore us on turn.

Response from Bear's Best Las Vegas on 05/21/2018:

Thank you for your review! We apologize that you didn't enjoy your experience with us. We'd love the chance to speak to you more about your time with us. Please reach out to us at bearsbestlv1@gmail.com at your earliest convenience. Thank you again and we look forward to speaking with you!

"Challenging but fair course in great shape!"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/15/2018

Easy check-in and teed off on time. Numerous challenging holes with adequate risk/reward. Like the replication of interesting holes from other locations too! Pace of play was decent and a slower foursome let us play through. Course was in great shape compared to others we’ve played in the area. All in all a fun day!

Response from Bear's Best Las Vegas on 05/18/2018:

Excellent! We're glad that you enjoyed our course and the challenge it presented. We're also pleased that our course conditions met your expectations. We can't wait to have you back again soon for another fun day at Bear's Best Las Vegas!

"Fantastic course"

smithjay1978's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/08/2018

Excellent day from start to finish. Good deal through golf now. Worth every penny. Lots of shots you really have to think about. Fairways to greens they were all in great shape.

Response from Bear's Best Las Vegas on 05/10/2018:

Outstanding! We're thrilled that you enjoyed your experience with us and that you found us to be a good value. We can't wait to have you back again soon at Bear's Best Las Vegas!

"great fun. Greens a bit rough"

rmiritz's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/06/2018

The place was really fun, especially if a Jack fan. But greens weren’t un great shape compared to courses nearby.

Response from Bear's Best Las Vegas on 05/09/2018:

Awesome! We're pleased that you enjoyed our course and the challenge it presented. We appreciate your feedback and we hope to have you back again soon!

Rmdajani's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/01/2018

Response from Bear's Best Las Vegas on 05/09/2018:

Wonderful! Come back soon!

Maswad's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/01/2018

Response from Bear's Best Las Vegas on 05/09/2018:

Great! Glad you enjoyed your time with us!

u258062040's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/28/2018

Response from Bear's Best Las Vegas on 05/02/2018:

Thank you for your review! We apologize that you didn't enjoy your experience with us. We'd love the chance to learn more about your time with us. Please reach out to us bearsbestlv1@gmail.com at your earliest convenience. Thank you again and we look forward to speaking with you!

"5 some golf"

jimhuberfan's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/26/2018

Overall I liked the course but I can’t recommend a place that turns a blind eye to 5 some golf. We caught up to these clowns early on the back 9. After about three holes when it became apparent they weren’t going to let us (3) play through we called the clubhouse. Their initial response was as if 5 guys playing together was the norm. We asked them to send someone out to address the issue, they said they would but no one came. I wouldn’t expect this from a crappy city owned public hack track, never mind a course with Jacks name on it that is willing to charge $200+ for a round. Unbelievable

Response from Bear's Best Las Vegas on 05/02/2018:

Thank you for your review! We're glad that you enjoyed our course but we apologize that the pace of play was slow. We understand how important pace is and our staff does their best to keep everyone playing at a good speed. We would love to talk to you more about your time with us. Please reach out to us at bearsbestlv1@gmail.com at your earliest convenience. Thank you again and we look forward to speaking with you!

"Excellent Course!!"

Plays:  Once every three months

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/25/2018

course was in excellent condition. challenging enough for this occasional golfer (championship tees would have been too difficult). not a long ball hitter, but long enough to clear the tee shots. fairways and greens in great shape. highly recommend this course, especially if you can get a Hot Deal from GolfNow....

Response from Bear's Best Las Vegas on 05/02/2018:

Terrific! We're thrilled that our course conditions met your expectations and that you enjoyed the challenge that our layout presented. We appreciate your feedback and we can't wait to have you back again soon!

"Bear's Worst"

Mycrofty's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/24/2018

Met up with three other people and we were all really excited about playing this course. TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT. By the end of the round we were all just going thru the motions of just finishing the round. What a boring course and of all the holes I can only remember two. The first cause I was ready to play and the last cause I could not wait to get off. As for the greens they were slow as molasses and putted terribly. I feel that if Jack Nicklaus had played the same day we did he would have come back to the club house and said get this course in shape or I'm pulling my name off it.

Course Layout: Poor

Response from Bear's Best Las Vegas on 04/27/2018:

Thank you for your review! We apologize that you didn't enjoy your experience with us. We appreciate your feedback and we'd like to learn more about your time with us. Please reach out to us at bearsbestlv1@gmail.com at your earliest convenience. Thank you again and we look forward to speaking with you!

"If this is the “Best”..."

Dennis9865240's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/24/2018

You can’t blame Jack for the course upkeep but I’m sure he’d be embarrassed to have his name on this course. The greens were absolutely terrible. The ball would bounce and jump on EVERY green. I went from highly excited to very disappointed in the first 3 holes once I saw the course conditions. This was the consensus with the entire 4some.

I won’t be back and won’t recommend.

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/23/2018

Corse was great. Greens were almost back to normal after spring aeriation.

Response from Bear's Best Las Vegas on 04/27/2018:

Awesome! We're pleased that you enjoyed our course and we look forward to having you back again soon!

ptoligow's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/21/2018

Response from Bear's Best Las Vegas on 04/24/2018:

Thank you for your review! We're sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy our greens. We appreciate your review and we hope you will give us another try soon!

"Very enjoyable course"

paulmadow's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/20/2018

My son and I were visiting Las Vegas and decided to play the course. We got a late afternoon start, so got a substantial discount to the regular price. We were just able to get all 18 holes in, but the last two were pretty dark. We enjoyed the course, and the staff were very easy to work with.

Response from Bear's Best Las Vegas on 04/24/2018:

Outstanding! We're thrilled that you and your son enjoyed our course and that our staff left a great impression on you. We appreciate your review and we hope to have you both back the next time you are in the Las Vegas area!

Jim6276964's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/20/2018

Response from Bear's Best Las Vegas on 04/24/2018:

Great! Glad you enjoyed your experience with us!