Bear's Best Las Vegas

At Bear's Best, a 7,194-yard track about 20 minutes from The Strip, the Jack Nicklaus design team stuck to recreating holes from other Jack desert designs, making them actually almost fit into the natural surroundings. (Aside from the black sand bunkers and that's just so cool, you don't mind). Plus, they made the fairways wide, giving your ordinary golfer a good chance to get through the day smiling. You won't post a career-low score at Bear's Best, but you won't lose four sleeves of balls, either. Four of the holes are replicas from Desert Mountain in Scottsdale, but also features holes from Nicklaus' Spain and Mexico work. The best thing about Bear's Best may be how the Nicklaus team, often accused of making their courses too tough, kept the average hacker in mind. Yet what really sets Bear's Best up as a great play is the service. Every foursome gets their own forecaddie and the staff can make you feel like a VIP. "Bear's Best is probably the greatest overall experience we've had on a course," regular Las Vegas golf visitor Josh Isadore said. "The guys are still talking about it."
Scorecard for Bears Best Las Vegas Golf Club
Gold M: 74.5/140 413 529 441 229 438 398 201 599 453 3701 411 317 507 151 461 230 416 537 463 3493 7194
Green M: 72.1/131 370 482 401 195 414 352 184 552 393 3343 392 283 497 137 418 211 392 516 439 3285 6628
White M: 69.1/124 309 440 374 174 381 336 159 515 353 3041 339 266 457 129 370 185 343 500 413 3002 6043
Orange W: 68.2/120 275 306 323 127 296 244 130 432 274 2407 308 227 396 79 341 130 312 475 368 2636 5043
Fastee W: 57.9/100 177 190 180 34 188 154 61 285 183 1452 160 129 262 33 217 54 168 292 237 1552 3004

Year Built 2001
Architect Jack Nicklaus (2001)

Golf School Academy Yes - "Paul Wilson Golf School"

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in Nevada (2017 #17)

Bear Best is one of Vegs,s best

very friendly accommodating staff. nice setting. the pace of play was excellent.

Commented On 2019-02-13T14:30:31.000+00:00

Wonderful! We're thrilled that our staff left a great impression on you and that you were able to play at a good pace. We can't wait to have you back again soon for your next round at Bear's Best Las Vegas!

Nice track

Played several courses in the area, as part of a winter retreat from Montana. The course exceeded our expectations and is on the short list of tracks to play in Vegas!

Commented On 2019-02-11T16:31:23.000+00:00

Terrific! We're glad that you enjoyed our course and that it exceeded your expectations. We appreciate your review and we look forward to having you back again soon!

Nice course but not great

Bears best is a nice course and challenging but at $200 per round the course conditions are not work it. Fairways are ok but not great. The sand traps have lots of rocks in them I’ve played other courses in better condition. BTW, I’m a 8 index.

Commented On 2019-02-04T19:06:27.000+00:00

Thanks for your review! We're pleased that you enjoyed the challenge of our layout but we apologize that our course conditions didn't meet your expectations. We appreciate your feedback and we hope to have you back again soon!

Commented On 2019-02-04T19:05:15.000+00:00

Outstanding! Glad you enjoyed your experience with us!

Reliably good

This is a nice course with a reasonable fee and good location.

Some holes are visibly tricky to see the landing areas but if I played a 2nd time all would be well. The in cart gps does a good job - even so I got caught out a couple of times off the tee.

Staff was great. Beer was cold and pleasantly served while the greens, tee boxes, and fairways were in great shape. Watch the grain it changes the pace of the greens heavily here.

Commented On 2019-01-23T14:52:18.000+00:00

Awesome! We're pleased that you enjoyed your round with us and we appreciate your review. We hope to have you back again soon for your next round with us!

Really fun round. Only negative was the pace of play but otherwise really great time

Commented On 2019-01-22T21:33:15.000+00:00

Terrific! We're thrilled that you enjoyed your round with us but we apologize that the pace of play was slow. We appreciate your review and we can't wait to have you back again soon at Bear's Best Las Vegas!

Commented On 2019-01-09T20:19:47.000+00:00

Terrific! Glad you enjoyed your time with us!

Commented On 2018-12-27T16:06:35.000+00:00

Excellent! Come back soon!

Texas Advisor

Not a Nicklaus Fan, but this course is good!

I have played a lot of courses that are a compilation of the best holes in Scotland, England, by Nicklaus, etc. Bear's Best Las Vegas is a stern test as the holes imitated are Western North America courses from Old Works in Montana to the the desert locales of Scottsdale, Palm Springs, and onto Cabo San Lucas in Mexico.

Located on the western side of the valley on a nice bench with great valley and mountain views, this course is a great play for the price in Las Vegas.

Our group played on another cold morning with wind and overcast skies. We played the White tees due to mixed handicaps. 6,043 yards with rating/slope at 69.1/124.

The course plays through several different residential areas, with many of the fairways lined with supposed $5million+ homes. They added to the scenic views and were far enough off that they did not come into play for our group.

Jack "Friggin" Nicklaus' name was said in jest many times as bunkers were founds and greens overshot as they did not hold.

The course has flat, uphill, downhill, sidehill, and forced carry holes. Great opportunity to use every club in your bag. My driver and three wood got a lot of play and my 2-hybrid was my usual approach club due to the wind.

Course is in decent winter conditions. Staff is helpful if not a little thin for the amount of players coming through. Great facilities.

If you are staying on the Strip, it can be a 30 minuted ride. This is a great course to add to any buddy trip to Vegas.

Commented On 2018-12-16T17:04:53.000+00:00

Great! We're glad that you enjoyed your experience with us and we appreciate your review. We look forward to having you back again soon for your next round!

Fine experience

I have been playing Bear's Best for years and it is consistently a positive experience. Today's round took just under four hours, the temperature was about 50, but there was no wind. The staff is friendly, and the course is well maintained. There are challenges on every hole, but even a 14 handicap like me can birdie any one of them on a good day.

Commented On 2018-12-06T16:53:10.000+00:00

Outstanding! We're thrilled that you enjoyed our course and the challenge it presented. We're also glad that our staff left a great impression on you and that our conditions met your expectations. We can't wait to have you back again soon at Bear's Best Las Vegas!

Commented On 2018-12-06T16:50:35.000+00:00

Terrific! Glad you enjoyed your experience with us!

Course was nice, but on course amenities so so

They allowed a 5 some in front of us. Beverage cart basically non-existent

Would play again but not for the price I paid

Commented On 2018-11-21T17:34:13.000+00:00

Thank you for your review! We're pleased that you enjoyed our course but we apologize that the pace of play was a little slow. Our staff does their best to keep everyone moving at a good speed and to provide a great experience to all our guests. We appreciate your feedback and we hope you will give us another try in the future!

A good course with bad bookends

I enjoy playing Bears Best. I really do, so I hope this review doesn't come across as too negative. With this being my third (maybe fourth?) time playing it, I've finally figured out why it doesn't rate higher on my must-play list in Las Vegas. The first and last holes aren't very good. Take those two holes out of the equation and this is a fun, scenic, demanding golf course surrounded by million-dollar McMansions.

It's too bad those bookends just aren't fun or playable at all. Not a great way for first or last impressions. They're both dominated by water and visually intimidating with elevated greens. I'm guessing maybe five percent of golfers hit either green during their rounds.

The best way to start and finish your round is to play super conservative. Layup to certain spots to avoid the hazards. Take your bogey and move on.

Commented On 2018-11-09T20:53:16.000+00:00

Awesome! We're pleased that you enjoyed your round with us and we appreciate your feedback on our first and last hole. We hope to have you back again soon for your next round!

Commented On 2018-11-08T14:28:12.000+00:00

Wonderful! Come back soon!

Overpriced and Out of Shape

Was extremely unimpressed with this course in LV. Had played Paiute the day before and conditions there were excellent. Bear’s Best charged $229 green fee and the course was in ragged shape. Tee boxes were long and shaggy. Fairways were spotty and inconsistent. Greens slow. Nowhere near the experience you’d expect for that kind of money. To make matters worse, the course allowed a fivesome out in front of us, which slowed down pace of play. A few par 3s were interesting, but otherwise the layout is a little ho hum. And the forecaddie mentioned in the GA description was not provided. Even using the bathroom was complicated, requiring you to pull the key from the cart to acces the john. The whole thing is overcooked. I would not recommend this course to fellow golfers.

Commented On 2018-10-31T20:25:22.000+00:00

Thank you for your review! We apologize that you didn't enjoy your experience with us and that our course conditions didn't meet your expectations. We appreciate your feedback and we'd love the chance to speak to you more about your time with us. Please reach out to us at bearsbestlv1@gmail.com at your earliest convenience. Thank you again and we look forward to speaking with you!

Wonderful track but needs work

One of my favorites so I'm biased. Fabulous layout, great challenges, and fine surroundings... but not in the best condition... especially the greens, which were terrible... diseased and patched, heavily ball marked, and not cut nor rolled. The waste bunkers near the greens should have sand so you can play out of them without destroying an expensive club... and so they would be punishment and not jail.

Commented On 2018-10-25T15:09:07.000+00:00

Great! We're glad that you enjoyed our course and the challenge it presented. We apologize that our course conditions didn't meet your expectations and we appreciate your feedback. We're honored that we are one of your favorite and we hope to have you back again soon!

What a challenge

We enjoyed the course, it’s layout is exceptional and quite a variety of holes.

Quite a challenge.

Response from Bear's Best Las Vegas on 10/19/2018:
Excellent! We're glad that you enjoyed our course and the challenge it presented. We look forward to having you back again soon for your next round with us!
Response from Bear's Best Las Vegas on 10/17/2018:
Outstanding! Glad you enjoyed your time with us!

Beautiful course with stunning backdrop scenery

I found Bear's Best to be one of the best desert courses I've played. It was absolutely gorgeous and overall in great shape (the divot maintenance on the greens could have been better). I played from the green tees and it offered a great challenge in terms of distance and accuracy. I really enjoyed my round and would absolutely play it again.

Response from Bear's Best Las Vegas on 10/17/2018:
Wonderful! We're thrilled that our course conditions met your expectations and that you enjoyed the challenge our layout. We're honored that you consider us one of the best desert courses you've played and we can't wait to have you back again son at Bear's Best Las Vegas!

Daylight tight

Always love this course. It’s my favorite of all the Vegas courses (that are accessible). Greens roll well. Overseeding took place few weeks ago. So grass very healthy. Problem is teeing off anytime after 2:30pm is now too tight to finish all 18. It’s usually busy out here. So better get out by 2pm because daylight now ends at 6:20

Response from Bear's Best Las Vegas on 10/01/2018:
Fantastic! We're thrilled that you enjoyed your round with us. We're honored that we are your favorite course in Las Vegas and we can't wait to have you back again soon at Bear's Best Las Vegas!

Valid dates: Feb 11, 2019 - Mar 31, 2019