The Legacy Golf Club

Year built: 1999
Architect(s): Gary Panks (1999)
Type: Public/Resort

Pull-carts: No
Caddies: No
GPS: No

Dress code: Collared Shirt required

Legacy Golf Club sits on 28 acres of Dwight B. Heard's turn-of-the-20th-century ranch, home to 1902 silos that decorate the 18th fairway - once the tallest manmade things in Maricopa County. More history is on the first tee, in the Sierra Vista House which counts among its early-1900s visitors Theodore Roosevelt and Pancho Villa.

Gary Panks designed the golf course at the Legacy Golf Club, giving it lush fairways, strategic hazards and manicured greens to test all golfers. Native flora grows from the landscape, and the club's elevation offers a vista of Camelback Mountain, Squaw Peak and the skyline of Phoenix.

Location is convenient to the city near the airport at a resort   Great for advanced golfers locals entertaining clients   Challenges include bunkers undulating greens elevation changes   Great for drinks patio dining brunch

Girdem's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/23/2018

"Straight from the car to the tee box!"

Hagearty's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/23/2018

Course moved me up a few spots as I was a scheduled with a 3some an theynended up bringing a 4th. Sometimes not practicing is a good thing! Played pretty well, course isn't that difficult. I played the Black tee's and played a lot better on the back 9...but the back 9 is 250 yards shorter. Course paired me up with 2 nice and good players. We waited on a few holes. I'd play the course again.

"Fairways like carpet"

Glenda3034456's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/22/2018

We had a 2:12 tee time but had about a 35 minute delay. Also, there was a tournament ahead of us of which we were not made aware when we booked. The fairways are beautiful, but the greens have ball marks everywhere. We did not get to finish because of the late start. We would play again but not after 2:00. We would have liked to finish so we could have enjoyed our round.

"Nice Course for the Money"

gstephens1696's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/18/2018

Great course for the money and in excellent condition. Course Marshall served no purpose and engaged our group for pace of play when the group in front was the group causing the delay and slow pace of play.

Response from The Legacy Golf Club on 02/22/2018:

Great! We're glad that our course conditions met your expectations and that you found us to be a good value. We apologize that the pace of play was slow and we appreciate your feedback. We hope to have you back again soon!

"Great Course, Very Poor Bunkers"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/18/2018

In general, I really enjoyed this golf course, but would have enjoyed it even more if the bunkers had sand in them. Every bunker my group played out of was basically dirt and 1/2" sized rocks, making it extremely difficult and frustrating, even when I used my 60 degree wedge with 4 degrees of bounce. If they would replace the dirt and rocks with some good quality sand, this would be a fabulous golf course. The greens really roll well and the lies in the fairways are fantastic.

Response from The Legacy Golf Club on 02/22/2018:

Awesome! We're pleased that you enjoyed our course and we appreciate your feedback on our bunkers. We look forward to having you back again soon at The Legacy!

"First 5 1/2 hour round of golf EVER"

linus02's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/17/2018

Never have I ever played a round of golf where we had to wait 10-15 minutes on each tee box. We tee’d off at 1:56pm I had to leave at 6pm but my playing parter waited it out and could not finish his round by 6:30pm when the sun went down he was on the 15th hole. We called the rangers twice and still pace of play did not improve. When I went to the pro shop to complain the response I got was “you’re not the only one who wants to play golf on a Saturday in Arizona.. What did you expect?!?” I was appalled by this response.

Also the price to play was $70 for twilight and the course was in BAD shape fronts of the greens were burnt and brown. Last time we ever play here!!!

Response from The Legacy Golf Club on 02/22/2018:

Thank you for your review! We apologize that you did not enjoy your round with us. We also apologize that our staff did not leave a great impression on you. We appreciate your feedback and we would love the chance to learn more about your time with us. Please reach out to us at legacygolfclubaz@gmail.com at your earliest convenience. Thank you again and we look forward to speaking with you!

"Wonderful course"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/15/2018

Ii have been playing Legacy for 20 years. It was in better condition when the LPGA played there. Still a great course. Play is relatively slow because the the deep bunkers. Our round was 4hrs, and 30 min.

Response from The Legacy Golf Club on 02/22/2018:

Awesome! We're pleased that you enjoyed our course and we apologize that the pace of play was slow. We appreciate your feedback and we look forward to having you back again soon!

"Diamond needs a little polish."

f85011's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/13/2018

Golf Nowed it for $55 and hooked up with two locals Gary and Larry who showed me the ropes. It is always nice to have course knowledge. This course is an above average track although the greens resembled a 15 yr. old with acne issues, lots of scars and divot damage. With a little more TLC this course could be a very nice destination. With so much competition in and around phoenix I hope it gets the maintenance love it needs, then I will be back.

Response from The Legacy Golf Club on 02/22/2018:

Great! We're glad that you enjoyed your round with us and that you enjoyed the challenge that our course presented. We appreciate your feedback and we hope to have you back again soon!

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/12/2018

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/11/2018

Response from The Legacy Golf Club on 02/13/2018:

Awesome! We're glad that our course conditions met your expectations and that you enjoyed your round with us. We look forward to having you back again soon!

"Winter Wonderland"

awall19861's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/07/2018

The course was in excellent condition from tee to green and the food in the clubhouse was very good. Everyone was helpful and friendly. If you are coming from out of town, like myself, I would highly recommend this course based on my experience. It's close proximity to the airport makes it ideal and I will play it again on my next visit to the Phoenix area. I am not a bot either!!! Lol

Response from The Legacy Golf Club on 02/13/2018:

Terrific! We're thrilled that our course conditions met your expectations. We're also glad that you enjoyed our clubhouse and our menu. We look forward to having you back the next time you are in the Phoenix area!

"Great golf course."

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/07/2018

We love the Legacy. In great condition. We played 18 holes earlier in the week and green fees very reasonable. This last round was the breakfast and back nine holes including a cart. Again great value. If you do not play this course when in Phoenix you are missing out.

Response from The Legacy Golf Club on 02/09/2018:

Fantastic! We're thrilled that you loved our course and that our conditions met your expectations. We're glad that you found us to be a great value and we appreciate your review. We can't wait to have you back again soon at The Legacy!

"Enjoyable afternoon, but slow"

divedown9's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/06/2018

friendly, accommodating staff; especially the starter. disappointed we never saw a ranger as group(s) ahead were slow; and wouldn't even let a single through. well-maintained, well(?)-bunkered venue. many bunkers had little sand with lips above head high. greens very contoured and difficult to read, but that's just an observation. enjoyed reading the thumbnail history of the site written on the scorecard. round came with range balls. would definitely recommend.

Response from The Legacy Golf Club on 02/08/2018:

Awesome! We're glad that our staff left a great impression on you, but we apologize that the pace of play was slow. We appreciate your feedback and we look forward to having you back again soon for your next round.

Commented on 02/11/2018

You should not expect to be let through as a single as it creates a domino effect each group behind you has to wait on the group that let you through and the next one behind them and so on down the line. Come out with a foursome.

"Great layout"

Midsota12's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/05/2018

The Legacy never fails to please! We have golfed there at all times of the year and have always found it to be in excellent condition. The layout is challenging but fair with different “looks” on every hole. A very pleasant place to spend an afternoon.

Response from The Legacy Golf Club on 02/08/2018:

Excellent! We're thrilled that you enjoyed your round with us at The Legacy. We're glad that our course conditions met your expectations and that you enjoyed the challenge our layout presented. We can't wait to have you back again soon at The Legacy!

"Course was great for the value!"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/05/2018

Staff was very accommodating as we were running late for our tee time, once we got there they were able to get us straigh out. We played 2 other courses in the Phoenix area while down there, while this is not the most scenic course it was a very well maintained and designed course with great greens! Lived every minute of it!

Response from The Legacy Golf Club on 02/08/2018:

Great! We're glad that our staff left a great impression on you and that you enjoyed our course conditions. We're also pleased that you enjoyed the layout of our course. We look forward to having you back again soon!

"Great Course but....."

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/05/2018

Tee to green a very nice course. Greens were awesome and held well and were almost unreadable due to their toughness. Numerous green-side bunkers were well placed and most were very deep and here is the rub. No sand to speak of so the lie was nearly always a hard-panned situation with limited ability to get up and down in a short pin situation or close to the edge where you had a 4-5 foot face. Took the fun out of the round because as soon as you hit one pin high but off line into a trap you could almost guarantee a double bogey due to the toughness of the greens on long putts after a bad trap shot. .Bummer as rest of the experience was well received. Also the staff was great as the credit card machine broke just as I was ready to go out to the tee so they let me go ahead as I promised to pay at the turn or at the end and then like a dummy I forgot. Going to club tomorrow to make my payment and amends.

Response from The Legacy Golf Club on 02/08/2018:

Awesome! We're glad that you enjoyed our course conditions and that our staff left a great impression on you. We thank you for your honesty and for coming back to make your payment. We hope to have you back again soon!

bobblehead1's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/03/2018

Response from The Legacy Golf Club on 02/08/2018:

Great! Glad you enjoyed your time with us!

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/01/2018

Response from The Legacy Golf Club on 02/08/2018:

Terrific! Come back soon!

"Great Course but need to speed up play!"

ozzyid's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/29/2018

Love this course and the staff always great!! Greens were smooth and fast and fairways in great shape! Course condition was excellent!! Downside was took just short of 5 hours to play. Group in front of us hole and a half behind and one of those holes was par 5. Never saw a Marshall the whole round!!

Response from The Legacy Golf Club on 01/31/2018:

Great! We're glad that our staff left a great impression on you and that our course conditions met your expectations. We apologize that the pace of play was slow. Our staff does their best to make sure they keep everyone moving at a good pace. We appreciate your feedback and we will make sure to use your review to help us improve moving forward. We hope to have you back again soon!

Response from The Legacy Golf Club on 01/31/2018:

"Enjoyable"

Stuart00's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/25/2018

Wonderful course in great condition , firm fast greens , well maintained fairways and bunkers. Fairway rough and fringe of greens in great condition also. Challenging but very fair setup. Definitely will play again

Response from The Legacy Golf Club on 01/30/2018:

Outstanding! We're thrilled that our course conditions met your expectations and that you enjoyed the challenge that our course presented. We can't wait to have you back again for your next round at The Legacy!