Saguaro Course at We-Ko-Pa Golf Club

Dress code: Collared shirt required

Saguaro 71 6966 yards 72.0 137
Purple 71 6603 yards 70.2 132
Composite (W) 71 5786 yards 72.0 128

Bill Coore and Ben Crenshaw designed We-Ka-Po Golf Club's Saguaro Course, open since the end of 2006. They integrated aspects uncommon to the region, building a walkable golf course with traditional elements: The greens are closer to the tees, and the course fits the landscape.

In addition to designing the Sagurao Course at the We-Ko-Pa Golf Club, Coore and Crenshaw have laid out Bandon Trails in Bandon, Oregon, Sand Hills in Mullen, Ne., Friar's Head in Baiting Hollow, N.Y., and the Golf Club at Cuscowilla in Eatonton, Ga. Saguaro has garnered several honors in its short life: Golfweek currently calls it Arizona's No. 1 public-access course, and Golf Magazine called it one of the country's "Top 10 Best New Courses You Can Play" in 2007.

After a round on the Saguaro Course at the We-Ko-Pa Golf Club, head to the We-Ko-Pa Grill for cocktails and the view, maybe a salad or sandwich if you've worked up an appetite.

Location is worth the drive at a resort   Great for advanced golfers wildlife/ scenic views a weekend splurge   Challenges include bunkers elevation changes forced carries   Great for patio dining drinks

"A Really Nice Course"

jmweaver78's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/15/2018

Today was my first round of desert golf in forever, and my first round in Arizona. I played WeKoPa Saguaro in the afternoon, mid-week.

Saguaro comes very highly rated by both Golf Magazine and Golf Digest, and was recommended to me by a few locals as well. I was also intrigued because it's a Coore/Crenshaw design.

First the good: Saguaro is a great layout. There are a few really memorable holes. Probably my 2 favorite on the course are #4 (609 yd par 5 that plays shorter than that) and #15 (233 yard par 3 to a huge green). The condition of the course was good and the pace of play was acceptable.

Now the average: The staff was just okay. There wasn't a starter in the afternoon on Saguaro. It appears that the other course, Cholla, did have a starter. The staff was friendly but not over the top awesome.

Finally the bad: I was really disappointed with the condition of the bunkers. I know there's only so much you can do in Arizona in May, but I would have expected there to be more sand in them than there was.

If this course would have cost $75, I would have given it 5 stars, but at $114.65, I expect a little more than I got in terms of staff friendliness and bunker conditions. I would play it again though and I would recommend it to others.

"Save your money and play elsewhere."

Kaboire's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/19/2018

Fun layout but the the greens were thin and the course was in generally below average shape. Don’t play here.

"A Must Play in Mesa"

clayjok's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/14/2018
First time playing Used cart Windy weather

A very nice, forgiving course. Big fairways, but if you miss them you'll destroy your clubs try to hit off of the rocks. Windy conditions during our round. I'd like to play it again when it's not quite as windy. My group enjoyed ourselves. We'll be back.

"Cholla was good, Saguro even better"

polishpal's avatar
Wisconsin Advisor

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/14/2018

We play Cholla in the morning and came away impressed and then played Saguro in the afternoon and was even more impressed. Fun golf course to play with your friends. I don't know how they did it but the views from Saguro are totally different than Cholla and it actually seems like you're on a different property. Saguro is designed where you have a great view of your surroundings on almost every hole. There are plenty of short par 4's that put a scoring wedge in your hand balanced by some longer par 4's and some great risk reward par 5's. Awesome conditions for peak season in AZ. You still pay too much for it but for me, this course was worth it. I would and will return any time I can.

"Amazing"

KlausSchmidberger's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/14/2018

Absolutly amazing course! Very well in shape, great layout and AMATHING VIEWS! A must playing course.

"Easy desert golf"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/05/2018

Sure there are better golf courses in Scottsdale but very few daily fee courses in Scottsdale area can top the quality, fun and consistency of these two courses. (I am rating both courses here as I could not detect a big difference between them). The layouts, conditioning and greens are excellent. Greens were rolling around 10 and you would not want them any faster with the slope and firmness of them.

It’s all so easy with the resort right there, very good food at the course and hotel. Reasonable greens fee and no houses anywhere! Just a few coyotes, roadrunners and quail all over the place. I always come back here because it’s so easy and fun.

"Semi Pricey But Worth It!"

CharlieM62's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/01/2018

First of three I played on Phoenix Open weekend. Fast greens, fantastic layout. Fairways are wide but errant tee shots are gone. Great restaurant for after round meal and drinks. Definitely watch out for the jumping cactus!

"Saguaro - A complete treat to play"

Ienjoygolfing75's avatar
Minnesota Advisor

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/18/2018

Saguaro was my favorite course between the We-Ko-Pa courses. As I stated in my Cholla review, the staff was not the most welcoming but Saguaro made up for it. I loved this course, both have amazing views and memorable holes, but I felt Saguaro was tougher and better maintained. Not as many rough patches in the greens and tees, and the fairways looked nicer. Both courses have great holes, but I remember more of Saguaros than I do Chollas. You feel like you are all alone out there with zero homes and such around the course. It is an incredibly memorable experience and something very unique. I would come back and play Saguaro in a heart beat. Long hitters will succeed, but you need to be accurate our you are playing out of the sand. Greens are great, they move a lot and are lightning fast. Go and play it, experience the wide open desert and enjoy a course that is an absolute blast. You will be humbled, but the fun and beauty of it will mend all wounds.

"Unbeatable Conditions"

drumshtik101's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/11/2017

Played both courses on a 36 hole special today....You can't find better public golf conditions anywhere in the valley! Both are gorgeous and there is not one maintainence issue with either.

Saguaro is a great layout and along with Cholla provides fantastic views. I didn't like Saguaro as much as Cholla from a pure sight line and shot making perspective. The holes were also not as memorable......it reminded me of Coore & Crenshaws North (O'Odham) course at Talking Stick (which is very basic) with some elevation change thrown in.

Still a beautiful course and the facility is second to none.

Cale2014's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/23/2017
First time playing Used cart Hot weather

We played this a day after playing another Coore Crenshaw design, Talking Stick, and although this cost a bit more, it was a HUGE upgrade. The layout was really enjoyable - short par 4s, long par 4s, same with the 3s and 5s. Just a good mix of holes and tee boxes for all skill levels. The condition of the course was nearly perfect, the staff was really great, the views were awesome - it was just a really enjoyable experience. This is one of the best and most enjoyable courses I've ever played - I would love to play it again one day and if anyone is choosing between this and other Scottsdale courses and especially if money is a consideration, just trust me and pay a little extra to play this place, because it's worth it.

"We-Ko-Pa's Coore/Crenshaw Jewel"

caknox1's avatar
Arizona Advisor

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/08/2017

Ben Crenshaw and Bill Coore are certainly not prolific, by any stretch. They create golf courses judiciously. The Valley of the Sun is blessed to have three of their designs - 2 at Talking Stick and Saguaro at We-Ko-Pa. All three have particulars that draw me to them... But THIS course has a profile and cadence that truly is quite special for the generally cookie-cutter-esque considerations that attach to Sonoran golf. Former Nicklaus Senior Designer Scott Miller's Cholla (he also did Eagle Mountain, just down the road) is the original design at We-Ko-Pa, but, in my opinion, it is NOT the best. Saguaro looks like it was softly blended into the landscape with a master's palette knife and and air brush. VERY low profile. Holes 4, 7, the brilliant short (137 yds) 9th, a split-fairway par five 14th, the spectacularly canted uphill dog-leg right 16th and the huge finishing hole (508 par four from the back) will all make a strong lasting impact. While I love both tracks at Talking Stick (especially the North now known as the O'odham Course), the Saguaro Course at We-Ko-Pa has more elevation change and greater shot requirements. Play it and find out!

"Saguaro one of Arizona's very best"

MikeBaileyGA's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/15/2016

First off, I've never played a Coore-Crenshaw course I didn't like and this is among their very best. I rated this a notch over the Cholla Course, which I also love, simply because the holes are a little more memorable. They both share the incredible views of the Sonoran Desert and mountains and are impeccably conditioned. Depending on the set of tees you play, it can be incredibly challenging, too, but never boring.

"One of the best public tracks period"

Luckyshank's avatar
New York Advisor

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/05/2016

Got to do 36 holes on both the Cholla in the morning and the Saguaro in the afternoon. Both tracks have beautiful picturesque views as well as just about perfect course conditions. The facility is top notch from the pro shop/clubhouse to the practice range. Despite the wet morning round, greens still have speed. To me the Cholla plays a little tougher because you must pick your tee shots (target golf) as well as the undulating fairways. The Saguaro to me is a little more forgiving with wider and flatter fairways. Price is a little steep but you definitely get what you pay for.

"Desert golf doesn't get any better"

BrandonTuckerGA's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/01/2016

A few years ago when I first played the Cholla and Saguaro courses at We-Ko-Pa, I curried slight favor towards the Cholla. I don't agree with that anymore at all. I like Cholla, and it is worthy of any area Top 10 list. But the Saguaro is just too good. The pace of play is quicker thanks to the design and more walkable routing (I wouldn't walk Cholla) and the holes roll naturally up and down the landscape. We managed to squeeze in 36 last week in waning twilight. I loved every shot. My favorite holes are the 1st, 8th, 10th, 15th (where I won a closest to the pin -- sorry for bragging but my golf game hasn't had many bright spots lately), but each hole is different. It's truly one of Coore-Crenshaw's best efforts and absolutely worth the jaunt east from Scottsdale.

"Saguaro is a challenge"

YertleTurtle's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/24/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Average weather

Played Saguaro Thursday and Saturday on the 36-hole package.

Saguaro has a lot more grass than Cholla, making you think it will be easier - but there several long par 4s (18 was 490!) and some seriously uphill approach shots. A very interesting layout, much different from Cholla. Great fun to play. The only negative regarding the course is the bunkers, which were firm to the point of being packed dirt. Note that the bunker at the practice area has the very different sand from Cholla. There is no way to prepare for the bunkers on Saguaro.

Two notes for management:

1 - Get a ranger out on weekends. An 8:00 am Saturday round should not take 5 hours on Saguaro. We later quit our afternoon round on Cholla after 3 hours, 10 holes, and views of the drunks in front of us driving across #9 green and hitting wedges off #10 green. Kudos to the staff for issuing a credit for that round.

2 - Get some training for staff or hire some friendlier people. Staff does their job OK, but few seem to enjoy being there or try to make your feel welcome.

The beverage cart ladies were a notable exception.

"staff ruins a great course"

gloose's avatar
Age:  Under 25

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/03/2016
First time playing Used cart Average weather

The Saguaro course is extremely pretty with great vistas and views Unfortunately, my experience was marred by an extremely unfriendly staff. The man in the pro shop had a grumpy disposition. The cart guy manning the bag drop was extremely rude and made jokes about my diminutive disposition. The range was inexplicably closed and the snack bar was closed despite what the man in the pro shop told me.

"Beautiful Desert Course!"

lmahoney6's avatar
Arizona Advisor

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/14/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

This course was absolutely beautiful and a fun course to play! It had some challenging holes but the layout made them interesting. There were 360 degree views from almost every hole of the Arizona desert and mountains. The staff was very friendly. This course can be a bit a pricey but if you are coming from our of town it is definitely worth paying the money. Arizona resident rates is very reasonable.

"One-of-a-kind in Scottsdale"

BrandonTuckerGA's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/30/2016
First time playing Used cart

Few destinations have as many courses as Phoenix-Scottsdale, and yet We-Ko-Pa's Saguaro Course remains in a world of its own. The design team of Coore-Crenshaw laid out this rippling and dramatic course, full of risk-reward holes and gorgeous views, and it's about as fun as a layout the desert can provide. It's not as long as nextdoor Cholla, which is also a little more artificial in shaping compared to Saguaro, but about as fun as it gets. There are some really tough holes, including a few long par 3s and par 4s (and on the windy afternoon we played, was a real beast). But reachable par 5s and drivable par 4s even things out wonderfully. Its' a great match play course, or course for larger groups playing team or skins games.

The overall facility is great, with a huge driving range and a clubhouse with indoor/outdoor seating. Drink prices seemed reasonable as well compared to the higher prices in Scottsdale. All-in-all, it's worth the drive and then some to play one of the best Native American designs in the west.

"Disappointing for the cost"

Babyteeth's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/08/2016

Went with my 3 best golf buddies to play for 4 days in the Phoenix area. Played at the Whirlwind golf club, Southern Dunes, The Wildfiret golf club and then he Saguaro course for my birthday after hearing about how great the course was. The turf grass and greens were great.

The other courses all had GPS on the carts and had good sand on the bunkers.

I can't understand why We-Ko-Pa doesn't have those also. The bunkers are just dirt with lots of small pebbles and not well maintained . The course is rather difficult from the purple tees, so having GPS would be very helpful. For $155.00, I was expecting more.

Commented on 12/02/2016

We-Ko-Pa added GPS to their carts this fall, also have USB outlets.

"Top 5 Courses in Phoenix"

watton77's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/01/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

I can be rather critical of golf course but this track is terrific. You'll enjoy wide open views of the surrounding Sonoran Desert, Tonto National Forest, and 4 Peaks Mountain (We Ko Pa). Golf holes contain outstanding strategy and difficult scoring conditions. The fairways and greens are always exceptionally maintained (although you can find faster greens). The bunkers currently need more sand. The course is very walkable and straight forward. All obstacles are visible but plenty of course knowledge can be gained by playing this course a few times. The course plays more difficult than the course rating may suggest. The desert is unplayable in most cases and if it were water this course would have a slope of 160. #18 is perhaps the most challenging finishing hole I have ever played. Par here will make your day!

Play Cholla too but be careful to check your yardage book on the Cholla course.