Algonkian Golf Course

Middle 72 6592 yards 71.2 121
Front 72 5584 yards 66.3 110
Ladies 72 5487 yards 71.1 114
Scorecard for Algonkian Regional Park Golf Course
Blue M: 72.7/125 344 506 447 407 207 526 410 184 442 3473 388 404 172 513 410 424 224 391 510 3436 6909
White M: 71.2/121 332 478 415 389 199 504 394 178 410 3299 376 380 160 495 392 406 217 375 492 3293 6592
Gold M: 66.3/110 W: 71.5/115 324 424 315 338 193 433 322 173 319 2841 368 308 152 422 304 347 138 304 400 2743 5584
Red W: 71.1/114 316 419 311 333 187 428 318 168 315 2795 360 306 144 418 299 340 133 299 395 2694 5489

Year Built 1962
Architect Ed Ault (1962)

Plays Long 9

A sad story

Unfortunately they did not not over seed with rye grass in the winter and this spring there was no grass. So they seeded with Bermuda to compensate and it took some time to come in. It finally came in on the fairways and rough and is in the process of taking over the bent grass areas. Burmuda grass is ugly and difficult to get a ball out of the rough unles it is cut to about 11/2 ". They let the rough get long to a 3" length making it almost impossible to find your ball unless you step on it muchless hit it out of the rough. They also let the fairway Bermuda get too deep which lifts the ball up but reduces compression and distance. The course in in a flood plain and is bordered by the Potomac river so it floods easily and when it gets wet it stays wet! You can loose a shoe when it gets wet if you walk this course. The routing is good and the holes interesting. It is the coures conditions and the switching to Bermuda grass that has ruined this course for me. I've played it several times and now will never play the course! Play Brambleton or Herndon Centennial golf courses in the area. They are compatible in price and in better condition. ALGONKIAN HAS BEEN RUINED BY POOR COURSE MANITENANCE BROUGHT UPON BY BUGET REASONS AND PENNY WISE POUND FOOLISH DECISIONS! A sad story.

Still wet but playable

The course is still recovering from record rainfall over the last 60 days. That said, No standing water and cart path only on four hole. The course played soft, with little or no roll. The green were quite soft and slooow. Sand traps were freshly raked with no standing water.

Great course and deal!

Love to play the 'Gonk...always fun, every hole is diff, you use every club...friendly and fun!

Back 9 closed

Booked course on Friday, played Sunday. Notified upon arrival that the back 9 was closed due to excessive rain. Didn’t rain on Saturday. Paid for 9, , and then was told cart path only.

Rename course to Algonkian Wetlands.

Poor course cindition and unfriendly staff

There are many brown and very soggy patches converted with hays right in the middle of fairways, I understand that those are being repaired, this is in June and middle of prime golf season. I am not too concerned if not for the staff attitude, as follows:

I used an golf app, TeeOff, to purchase the an round. when I showed up at the front desk, one staff showed me that he's not happy because the rate is lower than the "lowest rate" they had to offer. I found myself explaining to him that I had nothing to do with this rate and I simply booked with an app... Once I got on the course, I realized why the rate is lower than other courses under the same management (Brambleton). The fairway condition is very poor, I have to relocate balls on half of the holes on the course due to the soggy condition on the patched areas.

The starters, insisted that I started from the back 9, which is fine with me. but then I realized that there are for groups of foursome in from of me. as a single player, I found the pace to be unbelievably slow, and had to skip all the back nice holes and proceed to the front 9, which is a lot faster.

This makes me think why the staff are less than friendly and welcoming...

Good Course for the money

I played this course so many times and will continue to play it. But why for the life of me, Algonkian and Brambleton don't cut their rough grass does not make sense. The only conclusion I can come to is, the volunteer staff or whoever does it, makes sure the fairways are cut, and then say there day is done so they can go play 18, which I get. But, in the meantime, Algonkian's first cut this past Sunday on fathers days was over 7 maybe 8 inches. Not even kidding. Others in the review of the course have said the same thing. Then they wonder why pace of play is slow, you literally could not find your ball unless you were on top of it or the fairway. An inch off the fairway and you may not find your ball. Not kidding. Hopefully they can pay some staff to cut their grass more often then whatever it is now at both Brambleton and here. Pohick does not seem to have this issue. Inside staff was super friendly. On course staff not to bad either. Greens were in good shape! So disappointing rough was not cut, and absolutely ridiculously long. Could have got 5 out of 5.

I've played here before and never had a problem other than pace of play. I'm not sure if it's all the rain we have received lately, but the fairways were very poor. The bunkers were in poor shape.

First full round of the season

Fairways were inconsistent with tufts of fairway grass and bald areas. Greens were aerated so putts were slow and bouncy.

Make sure to bring a fore caddie

It’s an interesting course as the layout isn’t complex but the rough is so thick you could be searching for your ball for 5+ minutes a hole when it’s a foot off the fairway. It kind of makes the course interesting as you can imagine kind of how a US open is played. You aren’t likely going to par when in the rough. On to the major issues: slow greens and fairway just means they cut the grass really low. Dirt spots and crab grass on fairway. But even those dirt spots were a breath of fresh air compared to the rough. To top it off a sly fox stole a hotdog out of our cart...and came back to our tee box laid down just to taunt us :)

Horrible

this course condition is absolutely horrible. there is no fairway here. the punching on the greens were huge. putting was impossible. the course does not hold drain well at all. will not play here again.

Lack of Info

Very disappointing to see all tee boxes and greens air raided with no prior knowledge before booking round. Nothing on golf now or course site. I can almost understand the fairways being brown and in terrible shape due to the weird weather, but if the course is under repair, customers should know before they fully pay for what a standard round should cost.

Course in Terrible Shape

Extremely disappointed in my first experience of the year with Algonkian - ordinarily a decent course in good shape but my most recent round was comically bad. While I understand its early in the season it was borderline criminal to take money for the course in its current state. Every single fairway was patchy dead yellow grass. On Two holes they just randomly stuck a pin in the middle of the fairway because the greens were under repair. I understand maintenance work needs to be done on courses but they should be obligated to let you know before you book and its nearly Masters weekend the course needs to be in far better shape at this time of year (this wasn't a February round). I played 1757 the other week and the course was in 1000x better shape - I would strongly recommend looking elsewhere until reviews reflect that they have gotten the course back up to even minimal viable standards

Not Playing here for a while.

I liked Algonkian, it was a solid course that got the job done. However, I played on a perfect day in February (a bunch of people were out it was a great day for golf) and I had never seen any course in worse shape. It started off on the first hole, the pin was in the fairway. They didn't even mow the fairways that day, you couldn't putt on it. Not only was this the case but we were not even made aware of it by the starter or pro shop. Then onto the second we waited for ten minutes to tee off as the starter was sending people off with no rhyme or reason. The course was in awful shape, we played three holes in an hour and fifteen minutes, and then we didn't want to play anymore. so we left Until I hear Algonkian is turning things around I don't plan on visiting again.

Algonkian GC 2017-09

Algonkian GC is good golf course. I played it on 9/25/17. The driving range looks out onto the Potomac and the pro shop has golf equipment plus food and drinks. The greens had recently been aerated and were on the 'very slow' side, which is why I gave the conditions an 'average' rating. Normally I'd give it four stars. The pace of play was good. It's a solid course, not a dog track, if you're looking to play there for the first time.

Nice course, nice staff, and good price.

The course was in great shape and it was quite a fun round. As always, great chance to see wildlife too.

Enjoyable course

This is a great course. Long (almost 7,000 yards) from the tips, 6,500 from the white tees. Fun layout. Good conditions. Ok pace of play on weekend, great pace during the week. I'd return any time I'm in the area.

Park Golf Course with Lots of Wild Life

We had an enjoyable round. The course was long for ladies, so I did not score very well, but I enjoyed the greenness and the abundant wild life (mostly deer). Fairways had a lot of cut grass trimmings and rough was high; greens were significantly slower than I am used to, but the overall experience was positive.

Valid dates: Oct 11, 2018 - Aug 31, 2019