Algonkian Regional Park Golf Course

Year Built 1962
Architect Ed Ault (1962)

Carts Yes - $16.25

• Golf Advisor: Top 25 Most Improved U.S. Golf Courses (2019 #2)

Plays Long 9

Terrible Tee Shot Location Move

The first hole flag was moved up on the fairway without any prior notice and every par 3 hole got shortened significantly to about 100 yard from about 200. This is a huge disappointment and I really regret playing there for $42. I will never go there again. Period!!!!.

Commented on 01/02/2020

We apologize your experience was not a great one. In order to protect the greens and tee boxes for Spring we sometimes make slight modifications to the setup. Our current reduced Winter rates are designed to take those changes into account. We would like to have you come back again when we are in prime season so please reach out to the golf course manager if you would like to do so.

Pace of Play Issues

Arrived at 1:15 for a 1:27 tee time, but my tee time was already given away to a foursome.The starter said that they were ahead of schedule and then slotted me in at 1:45.

Front 9 ended up taking over 3 hours to finish. Two of the players ahead of us were extremely slow and didn't seem as if the roaming course ranger did anything to get them to speed up. Luckily they only played the 9 holes.

Only reason I was able to finish was that 2 groups ahead of us had to leave. Even then, after pairing up with some others who had gotten stuck we barely managed to finish.

I get that it was a holiday, but taking over 3 hours to finish 9 holes is still unacceptable.

Commented on 10/18/2019

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We strive to provide great experiences and will use this information to try and improve moving forward. If you would like to discuss your round in further detail please feel free to email the course manager at rcorder@nvrpa.org. Thank you again for taking the time to review us and we hope to see you again soon.

Greens are in great condition

Algonkinian is a basic public course that tends to be towards the west side. Was in surprising good shape on Columbus Day and the greens were great. They were relatively smooth and ran true.
Altogether it was a very good round of golf and better than most courses in the area.

Commented on 10/18/2019

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We strive to provide great experiences and we hope to see you again soon.

Lawn Mower Please!

I’ve played this course over 100 times in the last 35 years and have always loved it. But in the last 10 years the conditions have been disappointing. Please jus cut and roll the greens! In the round I just played, we were told that the carts need to stay on the path. They said they just seeded the fairways. Would have been nice to know when booking the tee time. Again, cut and roll the greens and you have a great course. It’s been this way for several years. Lawn mower please!!!

Commented on 10/14/2019

Thank you for giving us your feedback and we apologize your experience was less than what you hoped for. In order to ensure optimal conditions for next season we do annual over seeding of the fairways which unfortunately does keep us from regular mowing and the carts on paths for several weeks each year. We do our best to inform the public this is taking place and I apologize you were not informed ahead of time. If you would like to discuss your experience further please email the course manager Ryan at rcorder@nvrpa.org.

5 1/2 hour roubd

Need I say more? Most staff acted like they hated their job...they Charged more than the golf now price and wouldn’t honor it. Not a great experience and won’t be going back. Good luck if you attempt...I hope you have a better experience.

Commented on 10/09/2019

We regret that your experience was not what you had hoped for. We value your feedback to make future improvements and If you would like to discuss the matter further please reach out to the course manager rcorder@nvrpa.org

Bermuda grass nightmare

The course is all Bermuda grass which isn't that big of a deal unless they don't mow. We lost several balls in or just off the fairway due to the length of the grass. The greens were also shaggy.

The starter continued to send out singles instead of grouping people. That, coupled with cart path only nonsense when it hadn't rained in two weeks made for a long day.

People nice, but experience overall poor.

Commented on 10/08/2019

We are sorry your experience at Algonkian was not what you had hoped for. We are currently cart path only now for a couple weeks due to over seeding of the fairways. The seed needs to have a chance to germinate and take hold in order to ensure optimal conditions next season and therefore we cannot mow as usual and have to keep carts on the paths. We hope you understand this and will return again in the future.

Commented on 10/08/2019

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We hope you will return again soon!

Not impressed

The first disappointment was the back nine being closed which was not mentioned online. For $35 this course just doesn’t represent good value even in expensive NOVA. The one plus was the wildlife added a cool experience to the course. Overall just a subpar course, pun intended.

Commented on 09/18/2019

We are sorry your experience was not what you had hoped for. The course aeration is standard yearly maintenance and something we try our best to inform the public about well in advance. Please reach out to the course manager if you would like to discuss your visit in any further detail.

Long and tough

This course is my go to living so close. The conditions are very consistently good and the greens are usually receptive and slow putting. Played in the course championship and the pins were tougher than usual creating tough scoring for us regulars. Fun day and open to all with handicaps so would recommend to anyone.

Commented on 09/12/2019

Thank you for taking the time to provide us your feedback. We are glad you enjoyed your round with us and hope to see you back again soon!

Nice round of golf.

The course is in great shape. Fairways are so easy to hit from.

Commented on 08/18/2019

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We are glad you enjoyed your round and hope to see you back again soon.

Looks are deceiving

At first glance you see a flat, wide open course. But the further you play into the course the more difficult and narrow it gets. The rough was also quite thick. If you miss the fairway even by a little you have a 50/50 chance of actually finding your ball even if you know exactly where it went!

Most teeboxes were is good shape, the fairways were in spectacular shape, the bunkers were soft, and the greens were so wet that if you hit a high shot the ball would go "through the green". We had a few plugged balls on the greens.

Overall, it was a great and extremely challenging round. Just make sure you wait 3-4 days after a rain or you will end up with a ton of plugged balls.

Commented on 08/12/2019

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We hope to see you back again soon!

Golf Channel
Commented on 07/20/2019

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. Please feel free to give any feedback or suggestions you may have in the future.

I have played this course many times and I am never disappointed!! The course is always in great condition and the staff are always professional and very helpful. When I think I am getting good at this game I play here from the tips to humble myself a bit because at almost 7000 yards, it can be very challenging. Overall the course is very playable for all levels of golfers.

Commented on 06/14/2019

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We value your opinion and are always striving to improve the course for our customers. Please let us know if we can do anything to improve the guest experience and we hope to see you back again soon.

Surprisingly good round!

I hadn't played Algonkian in many years due to being disappointed in soggy, almost unplayable conditions. A marshal at South Riding said it had been much improved, fairways replanted a few years ago, etc and I should give it a try. I was very pleasantly surprised at the conditions, much, much better than I'd expected! Everything about the round was good including the pace of play. I would definitely play here more often. My only complaint is that the greens were running a little slow, seemed like they had been cut but not rolled.

Commented on 06/06/2019

Thank you for taking the time to give feedback. We value your opinion and have made many course improvements to improve our customer experience. Hope to see you again soon.

Very Good!

Pace of play was a little slow but it was Memorial Day so what can you do. Otherwise, fairways were great, tee boxes too. Greens were in good shape. Definitely a challenge on the many tree-lined holes. well worth playing.

Commented on 05/30/2019

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We are always making improvements to the course and strive to provide great experiences for our customers. If you have any comments or concerns in the future please feel free to call the manager direct at 703-450-4655 ext 105.

It was a great time at Algonkian this weekend. Staff are always friendly and the greens were in great shape. This is my 3rd time playing here and I will definitely be back.

Commented on 05/27/2019

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We strive to provide great experiences for our guests and hope to see you again soon.

This course has a great layout and is a great value

Recently played this course and was very pleased with everything from the customer service to the course conditions and pace of play. The greens have healed from aeration and are smooth. The treelined fairways are a nice change from the wide open courses around this area, and the rough makes it a premium to play from the fairway. There are absolutely no houses or distractions on this course, and it is a great place to play, no matter what your skill level.

Commented on 05/27/2019

Thank you for providing feedback. We value your opinion and are always striving to provide great experiences for our guests. Hopefully we will see you again soon!

Valid dates: Apr 03, 2020 - Oct 24, 2020
Sunriver Resort's Unlimited Stay & Play Golf Package includes unlimited play on Meadows, Woodlands or Caldera Links along with one round at the famed Crosswater Club per day during your stay. Better yet—your lodging is included! Two person, two night minimum stay required.