Hail Ridge Golf Course

Year Built 2004
Fairways Zoysia
Greens Bent
Golf Season Year round, weather permitting.

Carts Yes - included in green fee
Clubs No

Credit Cards Accepted Yes
Dress code Proper golf atire.

Friendly group of people running the show!

Enjoyed the day even with the roasting heat. The course played well and the only hangup was the lost balls in play. The grass didn't seem long but the clover gobbles many of our balls in play. I started using blaze orange balls which definitely helped. Staff was friendly and helpful. Clubhouse and snack bar reasonable.

Great Place

Great layout, great people, making huge improvements!

Something for everyone

Great Layout with challenges for all players. Great People putting a ton of work into improving the entire property!

Needs lots of TLC

I absolutely love the layout of this course. However, since the city took over last summer, it has fallen into complete disrepair. Every green had multiple large bare spots, there were weeds growing out of the fairway, even mushrooms sprouting out of the ground. If the condition can get back to what it was a few years ago, this is one of the better courses in the Columbia area. The tee boxes were semi ok, they need some leveling.

Enjoyed in the past/ unorganized shop

People are always nice that run it
They had a tournament going day I was there unknown to me
Players in tournament were playing in sets of 2 -3somes each hole!
Wish I had known I would have stayed away

Stinker starting hole!

It had been 3-4 years since I played this course and it was more challenging then I recalled. Critical to stay in the short grass! Course was in good shape and so nice to have concrete cartpaths around entire course. Hope someone keeps the course open --- keep hearing rumors of closing.

Good for the price...

Keep hearing the course is going to be sold. For the price we paid to play, I'd do it again. Greens we receptive but slow, the roughs were very dry as were the fairways. Love the layout of the course. It's not as if we paid a lot to play and felt good about the value.

Zero maintenance

Showed up to a locked clubhouse, which was pretty odd at noon on a Wednesday. The fairways were about an inch long and basically 99% crabgrass and weeds. Large mushrooms and flowering weeds were growing in basically every fairway. Rough was 50% bare clay spots and 50% crabgrass. I'll give them some credit that by comparison the greens were decent, probably weren't cut today or rolled, but they putted fairly. Sand traps looked like glorified cat boxes. Tee boxes were super lumpy and not leveled. Layout is pretty cool but no course map and approximately 50% of tee shots are blind. Staff wasn't rude, but don't expect a hot dog and Gatorade to take less than 10 minutes.

Honestly picked this course because it had 4 star average review but it was a massive letdown. I won't be back unless they take much betree care of the course.

Nice potential but too tricked out

The layout of this course is very nice, with some very pretty holes. However, the way it is currently set up took away much of the fun of playing it. I had three specific criticisms:
1. Rather than a conventional rough, the grass is allowed to grow completely un-mowed, and any ball that goes into that grass will not be found. My son and I had several balls that went into this rough - which in many places is no more than 15 feed off the fairway - by only a foot or so, and we were never able to find them.
2. There are no hole diagrams to be found anywhere. Not on the scorecard, not on the tee box. Nowhere.
3. Lots of blind tee shots, especially on the back 9. On most tees, there was no way to know where the green was, whether it was a straight hole or dogleg, whether it was best to lay up or okay to hit away. Never having played the course before, there were frequent surprises when we crested a hill after what we thought were good tee shots, only to find that the fairway wasn't where we thought it would be.
When you combine those three factors, it leads to LOTS of lost balls for the golfer who hasn't played the course before. It certainly did for us - by the time we hit the 18th hole, both of us were on our last ball.
The course could have been a nice little find, but unless they mow the rough at least a couple of times a year and post some hole diagrams, I would not recommend it to anyone.
Another frustration was that on the back nine, my son and I, who were playing by ourselves, got behind a 7-some. This group was slow, taking time to look for lost balls, and seemed determined not to allow us to play through. Finally, after five holes of waiting 5-10 minutes for each shot, they lost several balls at once and grudgingly waved us through.

Great.Course!

As good as could be expected for a sub 50° day with off and on rain in late November. Greens were in excellent shape with an average to slow Roll.

Rough was already knocked flat with a couple freezes under our belt, so we were able to not only find many of our unfortunate slices but several others as well. When this rough is in full growth, I would imagine it to be nearly impossible to find anything in there. Keep'em straight or bring plenty of spares for drops.

Staff was VERY nice! Family owned and Customer oriented. I will be back and inviting more!

Illinois Advisor

Poor conditions

The rough was uneven, fairways have many bare spots, the greens were slow and in sad shape. The layout was interesting but not evough to overcome the other pitfalls. The ladies room had two stalls and one was being used to store their rental clubs and other items. No joke!

Commented on 03/16/2016

I have played this course more than once and every time my experience has been top notch! The staff is amazing:)
Each hole offers it's own unique version of spectacular scenery. As for the rough, it's meant to be an equalizer... The course is very playable yet presents some very unique challenges. The greens have also been in good shape every time we have been there. Anyone who lives in Columbia or Jeff city it's a must play! It's easily worth an hours drive..

Love this course

Fairly open course. Can be challenging and enjoyable at the same time. Loved the course and will defiantly go back

Good Little Course

Nice course for the money. Some challenging holes especially on back nine. We play this course regularly and drive past several other courses to play there. Would recommend to any level player

Dry Times

The course is a good layout except it was extremely dry. There are lakes on the course but rough was burnt and had dirt areas, doesn't appear they water from them Weeds popping up in dry fairway. Greens and collars were ell watered and played nice.

Much more favorable probably in spring when everything is green.

Great course to play!

I have played here a few times, and every time has been a good experience. Greens are well kept, staff is very friendly, and there always seems to be something going on during the weekends. Would recommend to anyone coming through the area!

Good course

A nice course, much better than your typical municipal course

Poor weather

Wet but good round

The course was extremely wet due to large amounts of recent rain, but it was an enjoyable round, otherwise. The course is pretty open- if you can stay straight, you are going to be fine. If you can't, you will be in the wrong fairway, often. I'd love to play again when it wasn't like a sponge, but that is no fault of the course. Looking forward to playing it again, sometime.

18 holes on a beautiful day

Loved the course. The weather was beautiful for a day of golf. Didn't have any waiting. Great day.

I enjoy going to this course, always a good experience.

Course was awesome, Carts were bad

The carts were terrible our bags fell off about 8 times but the course was fun and a nice place to play golf.

Fayette, Missouri