2.6

Greens Penn G2 Bent Grass
Architect Tim Cate

Credit Cards Accepted Yes

Course needs some TLC

I may be spoiled playing greens further north but these were pretty bad. For charging $68 to play I expected better. The layout of Tigers Eye was much more challenging than Panther Run which we also played. I can see where Tigers Eye could be nice but didn’t even looked like they tried to take care of it. Definitely not worth the cash.

Tiger's Eye Was a Disappointment

My friend and I looked forward to playing one of our favorite courses near Myrtle Beach on May 21, 2019. Tiger's Eye layout has been a very nicely maintained track in the past. However, the Tiger's Eye we encountered on this day was very different. I know there's a water shortage in Brunswick County, NC but that doesn't account for the fact that the tees and fairways look like they haven't seen water in months. I could have used a portable drill to make a hole in the tee it was so parched and hard. True, we did get a lot of extra rollout on our drives but this in no way compensated for the neglected fairways, tees and landscaped areas. I thought this was a disappointing value and we won't return until course conditions improve greatly.

The best of the cat courses

Played on 4/11/19. Thought it was in the best shape of all the cat courses. Definitely the best greens..Staff, starters and cart girl were awesome. If you play any of the Cat courses play this one.!

Fabulous Course

The course was in great shape! The layout was fun and challenging with lots of opportunity for trouble. All of the staff was wonderful and very friendly. The pace was a little slow with a group playing tougher tees then they should and staff kept trying to keep pace flowing well. Really appreciated their diligence!

Course was nearly unplayable

I have entered other reviews for courses in the Myrtle Beach areas for this week but would have to say, they should not even allow play when the course is in this condition. While we took a cart, it mattered little as it was cart path only. The fairways were mostly either standing water or saturated to the point where every shot brought splatter!! And the grass had not been cut for several days/weeks!! . Tees were the worst I have played in many years. Greens were nearly unputtable. VERY DISAPPOINTED!! I get that you have to keep things going, and if people show up and want to play, let them go play. But there should be more than a note on the door saying "cart part only". Give a guy $20 off, lunch, SOMETHING!!

Bad thing is, I think this could be a really good track. Staff was pleasant but heard the same thing at all the courses, "We have had SO much rain!". Not buying that line, they may have had lots of rain but that was not the only reason the courses were wet. This is the Lowcountry, there is already plenty of moisture in the ground and you DON'T need to run your sprinklers!! I know, you just overseeded and you want that to take but when you pay $75-$100 for golf, you should get a quality product. Especially in a golf factory like Myrtle Beach where there are so many choices.

Needless to say, I won't be back to try any of the other courses at Ocean Ridge, this was not good!!

North Carolina Advisor

Awful Greens Ruined a Good Course

PACE OF PLAY: Long round (5:04) on a Saturday afternoon in the beginning of prime golf season. Could’ve been better if the greens (see below) weren’t so awful.

CONDITIONS: Tee boxes, fairways, bunkers, and rough were all fine for an early spring round. The greens were HORRENDOUS. Virtually no grass on any greens made it impossible to putt. Never seen greens this bad anywhere before. I’ve seen this course in better shape, but today was especially bad for putting. Not sure if the grass just needs to grow in or if further repairs need to be made.

LAYOUT: I like the layout, most of the holes are unique in some way. Lots of water and bunkering, including some waste bunkers. Holes are well spaced out and you need to play a lot of different shots to succeed here.

VALUE: $50 for 18 with a cart for non-residents, $40 for residents. Not too bad for March.

STAFF: Not too bad in the pro shop and in the dining room, but the starter was a bit too persistent and hurried us a bit at the start.

AMENITIES: Great clubhouse and dining room, snack bar was a great place to stop at the turn (but expensive). Large practice putting green, chipping green, and a grass range.

OVERALL: Tiger’s Eye has a sentimental factor for me but I was very frustrated and disappointed in the greens today. Made shooting a good score impossible. While I would normally recommend to anybody, I would steer away for at least a month or two to let the greens grow in.

RATING: 5.6/10

Could be great, but was not.

I went with a buddy in late February. Weather was about 60 degrees, which was fair for the day, with limited wind. The course probably is worth playing when they get the conditions right, but the fairways were bumpy and burnt at times, and the greens were unplayable. The greens were obviously either burnt through or had not been watered in some time, and were painted with that blue-green turf paint to make it look like they were in reasonable conditions. I would not recommend this course to anyone during this time of the year - there are other courses that are in far better condition that are worth playing. The rack rate being charged here seems unreasonable considering the greens were so hard that not a pitchmark could be found.

Greens stressed

This is a nice course, which has had a good ranking. I would give it only 3.5/5 on my visit due to the poor condition of many of the bent grass greens. There were patches with no grass on some of the greens. This is the first time I have played this course. Undoubtedly, the hot nights over the past few months have made maintaining these bent greens very difficult. One of the sister courses, Leopard's Chase, was played on the same day, and their bent greens were in better shape.

Course showed wear and tear

I played this course a few years ago in the spring and it was in great shape. Playing in August, you could tell it needed a break. The greens were OK shape but in need of maintenance. I expect with fall approaching, they will get this course back to where it was in the spring.

Greens Need Work

Of the 4 courses in this complex, Tiger's Eye is the most "secluded," i.e., no houses on some holes.
However, was disappointed in condition of greens...1 and 2 were really scarred...conditions got better on other holes, but some other greens were also in need of repair.

Otherwise, pace of play was great...looked like no one was on the course...maybe there was a reason (!). Fairways were ok as well.
Got a break on the rate, but seemed to much to me based on rates at other courses there.
Based on the more scenic aspects of the course, I would recommend it, just beware of the conditions of some of the greens.

Great Experience!

I played four courses at this facility. This one definitely had the best staff. I am not sure why as I understand that some of the staff actually rotate between the four locations. Maybe just the day I hit this one, but the staff was superb compared to the Lions/Panther staff. From the bag drop to the cart return every staff member showed a great "servants heart" and worked to make our day an enjoyable one. On this particular day, the course won in a big way, but the experience was great. The course was in excellent condition in every aspect. If you are looking for a course to play, definitely add this to your list.

Most Scenic Cat

Tiger's Eye is one of five courses in the group known as the "Big Cats" on Ocean Ridge Plantation in southern North Carolina near the South Carolina state line. It is also, in my estimation, the most scenic of the five in that many holes are bordered by water and natural areas rather than homes.
There are three club houses from which the courses begin and end, each are elegant and welcoming to both members and guests. The staff are top notch and visitors are respected as though they too were members.
The Tiger's Eye course, on the day we played (we played all 18, how can you not play nine if playing the entire course?) was in tip top shape for November in the Coastal Plain of North Carolina. The fairways were recently over seeded with winter rye grass which by now I am sure has given green tint to the dormant Bermuda grass.
The greens are 'mini verde' and not only quick but smooth as glass, you can almost see your reflection, running about a 14 on the Stimp Meter the day we played.
During your next visit to the Myrtle Beach Golf area be sure to make plans to try on the "Big Cats" you will be glad you did.

Very nice course

We were literally the first group out, so we didn't wait on any shots. I played the back tees (saber tooth). Very nice course, challenging and in very good shape. Practice range was not well maintained - not reflection of the course, though. Overall, a great value and would definitely play again. Steeper discounts if you play the other 'cat' courses.

Valid dates: Sep 16, 2019 - Mar 31, 2020