Leopard's Chase Golf Links at Ocean Ridge Plantation

2.3

Scorecard for Leopards Chase
Black M: 74.1/142 361 178 576 190 425 435 451 192 569 3377 418 542 411 190 543 435 215 585 439 3778 7155
Blue M: 71.8/136 338 159 539 168 382 400 421 172 555 3134 376 513 386 163 514 410 179 553 417 3511 6645
White M: 69.7/130 W: 73.5/136 303 141 503 156 365 382 385 157 532 2924 345 484 356 151 486 381 142 527 369 3241 6165
Gold M: 67.3/114 W: 71.8/132 258 113 471 110 334 337 343 127 495 2588 303 416 318 125 414 341 127 494 332 2870 5458
Red M: 65.1/110 W: 68.2/118 222 94 432 94 316 295 310 108 460 2331 264 351 301 115 352 317 114 429 298 2541 4872

Year Built 2007
Fairways TifSport Bermuda
Greens L-93 Bent Grass
Architect Tim Cate

Credit Cards Accepted Yes

Poor Greens

Condition of greens was poor, several bare spots and bumpy. Course hazards can make this a very challenging course, especially if you are unfamiliar with the placement of the hazards. Tee boxes and fairways in good condition.

Punched greens does not mean punched AND SANDED

My 10 round of my 2018 trip to the Myrtle Beach World Amateur.

Long drive from hotel up to Ocean Ridge Leopards Chase. Get there and am told the greens have been punched. Now, where I am from, that means the greens have been punched and then top dressed with sand. Never, ever assume anything. We paid full rate to play on greens that had been punched but not top dressed. Talk about terribly bumpy. And, many of the greens were full of weeds.

Other than the greens, the rest of the course was in pretty good shape.

I really like Leopards Chase and was hoping it would finally be in good shape. Was disappointed once again.

I am not sure what is going on with the Ocean Ridge complex but they really need to get their act together. My review of Lions Paw follows this...even worse conditions.

Player unfriendly

Course was decent enough, but attitude of management isn't worth coming back

Starter is a jerk, don't need to be talked to like that when 12 of us are starting a round

Cart path only determined in the morning and this guy leaves. Sun was out after 10 am and could easily driven on fairways. We did, and it was fine

Hardly see the beverage cart. No liquor sold from cart

Snack bar/bar closes at 4:30. Yes, 4:30!!!

We didn't spend a nickel because of the way this place is run!!!

Best course of the Big Cats

Played here as a 2some for the first time in am. Course itself was in great shape and layout was challenging.

We were keeping pace all round with the foursome a head of us. Most of the time the foursome behind us was lagging a hole and a half behind. We were stopped 3 times by the extreme A-hole ranger who critized our playing skill, told us to hurry up and talked to us in a degraded manner. It got to the point that both me and my golfing partner said if he comes back around another time with the same attitude, that there was going to be big problems.

White guy with grey goatee.

The Leopard is worth a look

This was definitely the most scenic of the Big Cats courses. It is visually stunning. The tee boxes, fairways, and bunkers were all in really good shape. The greens left much to be desired. They weren't as bad as Tiger's Eye (which we played two days before) but they were still bumpy and slow. That was a huge disappointment to me and my group because the rest of the course was just so dang nice. I never did understand why these courses don't have water coolers on the course at least every four holes, but whatever. I wish I'd taken pictures of this course. It was beautiful!

Leopard's Chase

Very tough course. I like the layout, but you must be on your A Game to score well. Bunkers EVERYWHERE with narrow fairways.

I was disappointed in the conditions. Tee boxes were ok, fairways were poor, greens were good. I played here two years ago, and the conditions were much better then.

Pace of play was awful - took 5 hours for my threesome with a late-morning tee time.

Staff was friendly and nice, amenities are good enough.

This place would be great if it was in good condition.

Test of Golf

Even with yardage books this course was hard to figure out. Very pretty holes, tremendous layout.

Course was in second to none shape, pace of play was outstanding. Bit of an issue at the range because we had 16 guys, and they didn't have enough balls for us, so parts of our group had to wait until cart guy took his dear old time bringing back balls.

Pro shop is nothing to write home about, but all staff members were courteous.

Just be careful, I've been reading that Big Cats Golf is having some big financial issues with Jaguar's Lair, because the homes that are to be built around it are not selling. Which is putting a halt to the development of the new course, and is subsequently hurting the other Big Cats Courses.

Played 15 courses in Myrtle, and except TPC Myrtle Beach, and Blackmoor, this is 3rd on the list.

Awarded Ireland's "Hidden Gem" for Links Golf on the North Coast. Castlerock Golf Club is rated as one of Ireland’s finest links courses and its status in the game is reflected by the fact that it has hosted many National Championships both Amateur and Professional.

Over The Top

I expected much more from the picture of the waterfalls surrounding the green. It was in good shape and I got a deal using a coupon and my junior played for free which is a great value and well appreciated. This course was just so punishing that it took all the fun out of playing here. Every hole it seems, has bunkers down both sides of the fairway all the way to the green which is surrounded too. I kept waiting on it to get easier and it never did. The layout is average with the waterfall green being the highlight of the 18 with the rest being so so with bunkers everywhere.

One Tough Course!

Don't let the front nine fool you. When you make the turn you better have your A game with you. And purchase a yardage book! This will be critical for your first time on the course. I didn't and really regret it. There are a lot of unknown yardages from the tees that you need to know in order to score well. A driver on every hole doesn't work here. Very challenging course....one of the more difficult 9's I have ever played. (Spyglass Hill was tougher, but not by much.) The staff was very friendly but I wished they had recommended a yardage book at the start. Lot's of variety on this course. Have fun!

Interesting and challenging layout; beautiful course

This course has a links type feel. The layout was interesting and fun to play. Course was very well maintained.

Shallotte, North Carolina