Type Private
Southern Hills Plantation Club

Year Built 2006
Fairways 419 Bermuda Grass
Greens Tif-Dwarf
Architect Pete Dye (2006)

Credit Cards Accepted Yes
Dress code Proper golf attire is required.

Spa

Available Sports

Fitness

A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 12

Not your typical Florida course

This course was in great shape and an awesome challenge. The undulation was not typical Florida and seemed like I was playing in the mountains. The only complaint I had is even after hitting awesome shots right in the middle of the fairway, many times I was left with very uneven lies. Either my ball was a few feet above or below myself. Which I understand is the design but I feel that if you hit the middle of the fairway you should be rewarded with an even lie. I am not sure there are any even lies anywhere on this course.

Commented on 07/31/2020

Good morning,

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide feedback about your experience. Your comments and feedback are extremely important to us. We appreciate you pointing out the positive aspects of your experience, and appreciate even more your feedback on how we may improve. We place a premium on our staff’s attentiveness and diligence when it comes to each one of our customers and their individual experiences, for which we are solely responsible. Thank you again, and we hope to receive the opportunity to impress you in the future.

Florida Advisor

Above and Beyond expectation

Playing Southern Hills made me truly understand how masterful Pete Dye was with his course architecture. True to typical Pete Dye style, the greens were very undulating and difficult. The routing provided many great holes, with subtle but engaging turns and dramatic elevation changes. The bunkering on the course was phenomenal, several of the bunkers were placed in spots that made it crucial to play target golf. They were even interesting design aspects like bunkers built into large mounds. Playing at Southern Hills Plantation is more like an out of Florida experience. Not many other places in Florida what do you see so much elevation change and feel so much like you are in West Virginia or even the foothills of California for that matter.

My experience with both the restaurant and the pro shop were very pleasant and I was impressed by the size of the clubhouse. If you get the opportunity, you would be a fool to turn down the chance to play Southern Hills Plantation.

Commented on 07/22/2020

Good afternoon,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review! We take great pride in our customer service and the experience we deliver. Receiving feedback of all kinds is very much appreciated by our staff as we strive to continue to maximize the opportunity you allow us to entertain, and satisfy our guests. However, receiving reviews like yours are the most rewarding, as they reinforce our tireless efforts to deliver an excellent product. Sincere thanks from our entire staff, and we hope to see you again soon.

Kind Regards,

Expensive but nice

This course is always in excellent condition which is propitious to good golf and you will not be disappointed as long as you can afford the ludicrously expensive green fees.

Commented on 07/22/2020

Good afternoon,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post this review. At Hampton Golf, we place a premium on customer satisfaction and your comments and feedback are extremely important to us. We appreciate you pointing out the positive aspects of your experience, and appreciate even more your feedback on how we may improve. Thank you again, and we hope to receive the opportunity to impress you in the future.

Southern Hills is amazing

First time playing southern hills and I was not disappointed. The course was in great shape from tee to green. The staff was very friendly and this club has everything you could ask for. The carts are the most comfy ride you will ever have. Overall it was a great experience and the cost was a $100 but there’s a lot of other courses that charge more but not as nice

Commented on 02/10/2020

Thank you very much for taking the time to post this positive review. At Hampton Golf, we place a premium on customer satisfaction. Receiving positive feedback like yours reinforces the investments we are proud to make in our phenomenal people and systems that we hope ensure the best possible experience for our guests. Thank you again, and we look forward to you visiting us again in the future.

Great Track

This is definitely one of the best courses I have played in the area. Great greens. It’s an actual golf course with full size holes. If you are a low handicapper you can’t misS this track. Well worth the money.

Awesome golf

This was a beautiful course, very challenging and in superb condition. Probably one of the best course I have played ever. Greens are firm and fast. Fairways are tight. Took the first 9 holes to learn how to play the greens. Breaks are going to freak you out when putting. Make sure to walk around and read your putts from every angle or you won’t see the correct read.

Good course

This was a nice course, a little bit pricey based on the difficulty. It took me an hour and thirty minutes to get there and I was hoping it was going to be as difficult as Bella Colina, but it was not.

I also noticed the lack of diversity which made me feel a little uncomfortable but thankfully no one was overtly obnoxious
Overall a good experience but pricey.

Commented on 09/03/2020

Lack of diversity? There are four par 3's, four par 5's and the rest are par 4's. Are you saying there are too many par 4's?

Amazing Pete Dye Exprience.

The Master golf course designer hit a home run with this one. I've played numerous Dye courses and never expected a layout like this in Florida. I wont spoil it with it details....just exprience it yourself. Greens were punched probably a week or two prior to my round, but still rolled fast a true. Bunkers were under repair, but you're supposed to stay out of them anyway....!!

Best course in North Tampa

This was the first time playing Southern Hills. From the bag drop to check in the facility was top notch. The Pete Dye design was great. A lot of elevation change with dynamic bunkering.

The course had aerated the greens but they gave us a discount that was not advertised. Even with the greens under repair they were still better than 90 percent of the courses in the area.

Everything was thought of. Free range balls before the round. Cart service throughout the round and they had the restaurant open (with masking and social distancing protocols).

Southern Hills is a premier course and you get a premier experience.

Top notch course

We did play afternoon on a nice day that was cool in am. They did have cart path only on hole nine. It was a 4.5 + hr pace due to a windy day with a lot of golfers. The greens were fast but would receive a shot well. It is a course you should play, just get your correct tee box as fairways were wet so roll out of tee shot was minimal

Commented on 02/10/2020

We are elated to hear that you had a satisfactory experience with us. We work tirelessly to ensure that our service and facilities are beyond your expectations upon arrival, as we believe in creating an environment that allows you to not only have a good time, but make lasting memories. Your positive feedback allows us to continue to build and grow with our consumer base so we can continue to optimize each special opportunity to make you happy. Thank you again for your business.

A Pete Dye Gem!

Never disappointed playing this course. Every aspect from bag drop to 19th hole is first class. For sure your golf game will be challenged from first shot to the last. It is a must play golf course!
Bring your A game!

Cart Path Only No Fun

With an inch and a half of rain the night before, course was “cart path only”... which made it difficult to play even though it was a rain free sunny day. We felt a few holes should have been cart path only while most holes were very useable. There was also the 90 degree option that could have helped. Its a great course with friendly staff... but playing the course cart path only detracted from enjoying the round.

Commented on 02/10/2020

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide feedback about your experience. Your comments and feedback are extremely important to us. We appreciate you pointing out the positive aspects of your experience, and appreciate even more your feedback on how we may improve. We place a premium on our staff’s attentiveness and diligence when it comes to each one of our customers and their individual experiences, for which we are solely responsible. We are hard at work attending to your grievances, and hope to receive the opportunity to impress you in the future.

Missouri Advisor

Played in November 2016 - Great Course

Played this course a few years back. Fun track in great shape. Played with a deputy and got a police/military discount which was nice. I believe they have some korn ferry qualifying tournaments at this course as well but could be wrong on that?!? Would definitely come back. Started was super nice and helpful as well.

Great Course, super layout

This is the nicest course I’ve played in Florida. It is well run, a great layout. Fun fast greens and in awesome shape. You will fall in love with this course when you play it.

Fantastic Scenic Course

Fairways and Greens were in excellent condition. Very scenic with beautifully tree lined holes with lots of hills and doglegs. Many fairways have a lot of slopes, mounds and bunkers as is typical for Pete Dye courses. Most greens have many undulations, breaks and were fast. A must play course in great condition.

Commented on 10/04/2019

Golf now gets 1 star

Course is beautiful, but, Golf Now failed to post as Aeration during booking. Kind of ruined day not being to putt and score at such at such amazing course and perfect layout.

Commented on 06/18/2019

Thank you very much for taking the time to post this positive review. We look forward to you visiting us again in the future.

great course

Great golf course, undulating fairways give great sight lines. Green a quick and true. A tremendous Florida golf course.

Hampton Golf Management

Southern Hills does it again!

My third time playing this gem. Truly a well kept secret that I have done my level best to let the cat out of the bag. Impeccable conditions. Classic links layout, well bunkered. Could use a water hazard or two but overall every round was memorable and I am always in awe of how well it is maintained.

Commented on 03/13/2019