The Silverthorn Country Club golf course has earned its challenging 132 slope rating through a combination of rolling terrain, unpredictable Florida Gulf Coast winds, and no less than 96 strategically-placed bunkers. Joe Lee designed this course and it offers a mixture of wide-open links-style holes and tight, tree-lined fairways. The 25,000 square foot clubhouse offers a scenic vista of Silverthorn's championship golf course, surrounding lakes and splendid Florida sunsets. This classic blend of southern charm and golfing tradition will create wonderful memories for your golf trip to Brooksville

Silverthorn Country Club

Golf Simulator No
Practice Hole No

Credit Cards Accepted Yes
Walking Allowed No
Dress code No denim, collared shirt and bermuda shorts required

Sand Traps

course in good shape just need to rake the sand Traps

Commented on 10/11/2019

Hi BJoeGolf. We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. Thank you for the 4 stars! We aim for a 5-star experience, so we always welcome feedback for improvement. Thank you for playing Silverthorn Country Club.

Average

I have played here a lot over the last 3+ years, and this course (conditions) vary each time. I have played when most every aspect has been well maintained and I have seen it in near disrepair. I would grade it in the middle right now. Not the best, but not the worst. I definitely wouldn't pay more than $20 to play right now. Some of the Tee Boxes were what you would expect, but some were a dirt/weed combo that had you searching for a spot to Tee off from. As usual, the Greens were riddled with pitch marks, but they were in good shape regarding grass and roll (I have never been on a course in Marion, Citrus or Hernando County that has so many pitch marks on each Green!). Some Bunkers were playable, but not all of them. The Fairway Bunkers have been neglected, but some of the Greenside were OK regarding sand. NONE of them have had their edges trimmed. How hard can that be?? No other course has a problem trimming the edges of their Bunkers. Why is it always knee high here at Silverthorn? Fairways were hit and miss, regarding grass cover. Some had large areas of weeds, and some had some dirt patches. The rough........don't hit into the rough.

Commented on 10/11/2019

We love hearing about our golfers' experiences, tricuban. Please tell us more about what you enjoyed from your round with us. Thanks for choosing us!

Summer heat has taken a toll

Course is usually in better condition....tees were shaggy. Greens had been punched and needed to be cut.lltraps were needing lots of attention. Raking and weeding undone...lprice was right. Be patient and the course will be in better shape once the weather cools down.

Commented on 08/13/2019

Hi, thanks for leaving us with your personal feedback of your recent round here at Silverthorn Country Club! We would like to apologize for the conditions of the course and will continue to work toward making improvements by using your comment as guidance. We look forward to having you back soon!

Rough Shape

The design may be ok but the grass is rough like a pasture

fun on a very nice day.

Nice, well maintained course. Well bunkered greens, however, fairway layouts are mostly straight.

Commented on 08/02/2019

Hello, thank you for your 5-star rating! Please book another round with us soon at Silverthorn Country Club!

Commented on 07/29/2019

Hello, we appreciate the review. You rated us 3-stars which means there is room to improve on your recent experience at Silverthorn Country Club. Let us know, in the comments, how and where you would like to see changes from the course. Thanks for the feedback!

Great layout

I really enjoy this course .... we come to the area every July on vacation and I always try and play Silverthorn.... you will get to use every club in your bag here..... you won’t be walking up to the tee box with your driver every hole.... great course, greens are great too some undulation but not so much you have to be a pro to read it , a little slow but had been punched and sanded a week or two ago.... overall I loved it..!!! See y’all again next year..!!!

Commented on 07/26/2019

Hi, Dave. We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review the course and rate your round. Thank you for the 4 stars! We always aim for a 5-star experience, so we welcome your feedback. Thank you for playing Silverthorn Country Club. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Needs Work

The course to be improved starting from the tee boxes , the roughs with the tall grass and the greens being in terrible shape.

Glad to play course and the rain came but only a delay

Commented on 07/08/2019

Wow, we are so happy you enjoyed your round, ggroman! We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Afternoon Tee Time Gone Wrong

The layout of this course is very tight. There is lots of trouble if you plan to hit your driver. Lots of houses in this community so you are flirting with hitting into someone’s pool deck just about every hole. Of course, If you are smart you’ll leave your driver in the car and just hit irons. Sand traps lack sand. #8 actually had weeds growing in it. Fairways are patchy (mix between sand, weeds and Bermuda). To be fair, if you hitting fair way it’s not bad. Greens weren’t horrible. Very big issue with unrepaired divot marks/scars. I realize this isn’t entirely the course’s fault but it’s still an issue nonetheless. The deep rough near peoples houses is mixed with lots of weeds. What made it difficult, however, is they keep it long and uncut (at least today was). Bottom line, if you are not in a fair way you are hitting off a tough, scraggly lie.

I have played this course countless times over the years. I avoid morning tee times as they usually pack it in which can lead to slow play. Today, I booked a tee time In the afternoon (after 4pm). The tee time that was listed said “18 holes”. When I checked in, the gentleman at the front made no mention that the tee time was only good for 9 holes. He also didn’t mention anything about closing time or when I needed to turn the carts in.

We teed off as a twosome and there was no one on the course, which was nice. We made the turn at around 6. When my playing partner and I pulled out our drivers on hole 10 tee box, the ranger came over. He pulled up and stated “I gotta cut you guys off”. I was pretty confused so I asked him if he meant we needed to stop golfing? He confirmed that he was putting an end to our round. I asked him if the course was closing down and he boldly said “no, I am closing down”.

I explained to him i paid for 18 holes as advertised and they made no mention of it in pro shop. He didn’t seem to care and made it clear to my partner and I we needed to get off the course. I actually felt like I was trespassing or something based on his attitude.

Again, I do realize that many of these courses don’t like waiting around for carts. But remember, it doesn’t get “dark” until about 8:30 in Florida this time a year. I play courses all the time in the afternoon (3pm and beyond), usually until about 7:30 with no hassle. Usually, courses will at least warn you if they want you in by a certain time, if any.

In any event, I kindly left and probably won’t come back. Maybe in a year or two to see if the course got any better.

If you are going to play this course, the earliest you can tee off for 18 holes is probably about 1:30. Of course, if they are busy, maybe even earlier. I tell you this because they won’t. I saw tee times for 18 holes listed on golf now up until 5pm for this course. As Maury Povich would say, “ANND that was a lie”.

For the record, the gentleman in the pro shop were very nice and welcoming. It wasn’t until I got ran off the course by the cart ranger when I was making the turn that left a very bad taste in my mouth.

I would try Hernando Oaks or Brooksville Country Club. Conditions wise, they are all competitive. If you want to spend a little more, World Woods or Southern Hills are a no brainer.

Commented on 07/08/2019

Hi, Golfjunkie352. We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. We are going to pass on your feedback to the teams in charge so they can work to make changes. Thanks for visiting Silverthorn Country Club. We hope you'll give us another try in the future.

Commented on 06/20/2019

Hello Chris, thank you so much for letting us know about your recent experience. Your satisfaction is a deep concern of ours as we always aim to exceed expectations. We would love to hear more about your recent experience and how we can improve. Please come back soon and allow us to WOW you on your next visit! Until then, take care!

Commented on 06/20/2019

Hello, Thank you for the five-star review! We are happy that we could exceed your expectations! We pride ourselves on creating an amazing atmosphere and we are excited that you had a chance to experience that. Come back and see us again soon!

Excellent Course though tough

I played an hour after it rained, so the greens were softer than otherwise. Still, this is a course where your choice of tee box is important. These greens are designed for short irons. If you are hitting anything below a 7-iron, the ball wont stay up, and with massive 6-foot lipped bunkers everywhere, the penalty for missing greens is severe. I played from the silver tees and as a 10 handicap male, I should have played from the white (30-40 yard difference on par 4s). Staring down 180 yard plus second shots with a 5-iron or hybrid on nearly every par 4 isn’t fun when there is so much trouble around the greens and the greens themselves, even on a wet day they won’t hold your hybrid approach even when you hit it on the money. So, unless you consistently carry the ball 250 with your driver, set aside your ego and drive up to the white tees (ignore the gold and silver) and who cares what your playing partner thinks.

As for the course conditions - June in Florida on most courses equals fairways with quite a few brown patches - not here, the fairways (which tend to be rather wide and are usually right of the tee box, favoring the typical left to right slicing golfer - like myself) are nice and wide and green, meaning you aren’t trying to hit your approach off of concrete. The rough really isn’t rough - in most places it is that awful crab grass that grabs your club mid-swing and is impossible to control - winter rules should be used on anything in the rough because your lie will almost always be garbage, tree roots or no tree roots. I noticed quite a few unrepaired divots on the greens - of course, this really isn’t the course’s fault, but is a sign that the players here tend to be inconsiderate and lazy - the good players that leave divots within 15 feet of the hole should be the one’s most likely to have a divot tool to repair their divots and any others in the vicinity, yet if you are looking at a 20-foot or more putt, you’ll spend 5 minutes repairing all the divots on the way or you won’t get a true roll. The layout of the course is interesting - it has a Scottish links feel on some holes with rolling fairways that kill driver roll and on others, you are hitting along 200 yards of lake to your left or right. Water only really comes into play in front of the greens on the par 3s, but EVERY green is protected with deep bunkers and the par 5s have fairway bunkers that swallow up those big slicing left to right drives we hackers tend to hit. If you can’t carry the ball at least 150 yards, this course will be impossible for you regardless of tee choice, so don’t bring your beginner friend here, he or she will hate it.

Other amenities: the lobster Mac and Cheese in the clubhouse was very good after a sweaty round. My cart seemed undercharged and was dying by the 14th hole, but I also played twilight which happens. Pace of play is rarely a concern for me for the same reason, but I’ve heard this one can be a slow round. I’m the type that doesn’t want pro shop chit-chat or discussions with the ranger, so I was glad for the business-like approach of both - get me pointed in the right direction and don’t bother me! Others might wish for more amiable pro shop employees.

Overall, this was a good course - I would rate it slightly ahead of the nearby Hernando Oaks (relative to bang for your buck), while slightly behind the more distant worth the drive beauty that is Heritage Harbor.

Commented on 06/20/2019

Your first visit to our course is definitely exciting. We understand there are many options and are so glad you gave us a try. We are happy to have exceeded your expectations. We look forward to having you back again soon and developing a lasting relationship with you. Until then, take care!

Won't play again

For the teeoff rate it was worth a one time try.the appearance initially is pleasing /inviting..the course layout was fair and challenging enough BUT the fairways, teeboxes,and rough all need serious attention..to much crabgrass and over growth...to many patchy tees and greens that aren't rolled...and it needs some serious attention to ballmark repair...chips with any backspin or rollout got unwanted kickers..has the potential to be a really nice track...but for the rate I can stay closer to home and play better maintained courses...won't be returning anytime soon...dont waste the gas

Commented on 05/30/2019

Thank you for taking the time to review us! We are sorry to see that you did not fully enjoy your time with us. We are always looking to improve, so we appreciate you taking the time to give us some feedback. We hope to have you back in the future.

Good Value and Tee time

We had a 7am Tee time and went off behind 2 twosomes. Never saw them again. Rough needs lots of work but doubt that’s going to happen. Traps lack sand but for the $21 dollars on golf now it was a great deal.

Commented on 06/20/2019

Thank you for the great feedback! We love hearing from you and are glad you had a good experience. We would love the opportunity to bump those 4 stars to 5. We hope you will come back soon so we can WOW you on your next visit. Until then, take care!

Peaceful and quiet

Paired up with another single and enjoyed a 3 1/2 hour round. Course could use some attention on several Tee Boxes. We didn't encounter too many "bare spots" that are so very common , this time of year. Nice course, challenging, great value .

Commented on 04/16/2019

Hello, We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. Thank you for the 4 stars! We aim for a 5-star experience, so we always welcome feedback for improvement. Thank you for playing Silverthorn Country Club.

Course and greens in good condition.Would recommend course to anyone.Played with good people and had a good time.Weather was sunny but not t0 hot.

Commented on 04/15/2019

Hello Bob, thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are glad to hear that had an enjoyable round and please come back and see us again soon!

Spring Hill, Florida