The Pine Barrens at World Woods Golf Club is one of two championship golf courses at the club. Named after the numerous pine trees that cover the course especially along the fairways, it feels far removed from the Florida coasts. Tom Fazio designed the course and it is considered not only some of his best work, but one of the best courses in the state. It is a tight golf course that is notorious for its vast waste areas and bunkers. Although it has a modest length of 7,259 yards, there is plenty of length within the layout with many of the par 4s stretching past 400 yards. There are two small lakes that come into play. The fourth hole is one of the most well known, and most photographed, in the state. It is a par 5 with a treacherous waste area dominating the right side all the way to the green.

World Woods Golf Club - Pine Barrens

Year Built 1993
Fairways Winter Rye
Greens Tifdwarf Grass
Architect Tom Fazio (1993) Jan Bel Jan Dennis Wise (1993)

Driving Range Yes - 300 tees
Practice Hole Yes

Credit Cards Accepted MasterCard, VISA, American Express, Discover, Diner's Club
Dress code No denim, collared shirt and bermuda shorts required

A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 85

Rough Around the Edges

Make the trip to World Woods and you will feel like you are nowhere near a world class golf facility. It is well off of the beaten path. The clubhouse is very modest with a small pro shop and snack bar. This place is not fancy at all. After checking in for our tee time(s) (booked both courses for same day) we headed to our carts which were in rough shape. Cracked windshields and bare tires. Based on the atmosphere and beaten up carts I found myself wondering if we had arrived at a once great but recently down-trodden venue. Things can't always stay top-notch, and it appeared that investment in renovating the property and upgrading carts was not an important priority here.

My initial impression of World Woods flipped quickly when I first saw the practice facility. There is a multi directional driving range and a separate "iron range" along with several putting greens including one of the largest practice greens I have ever seen.

Golfers can warm up on three full size practice practice holes or play the 9 hole Short course for a very reasonable $20. (with cart) The short course has 9 distinctly different holes with impressive and dynamic green complexes. The short course is certainly worth your time! The practice facility could keep golfers occupied for hours! While warming up there is no sign of either of the 2 Tom Fazio designed 18 hole championship courses. The whole facility if massive.

By the time our tee time arrived we headed over to Pine Barrens #1 to start the first round of the day. From there I was truly awe-struck by the golf experience that would follow. Paine Barrens and Rolling Oaks are two distinctly different presentations of masterful golf architecture. If you ever wondered what an imaginative architect could do with what appears to be an unlimited amount of space you will see it at World Woods.

Pine Barrens winds its way through the forest and has interestingly placed waste bunkers contoured throughout the golf course. The sand features are definitely the defining feature of the course. No two holes seem alike on the whole golf course and golfers are challenged in every way throughout the experience.

I found myself loving every minute of my experience of Pine Barrens. It is difficult to overstate how good this golf course is.

There are only a few points in the round where we saw portions of the course we were not playing. There is so much space at World Woods. The entire playing environment is magnificent.

During our morning round at Pine Barrens we only saw a couple of other groups. We were able to play at our own pace. We never felt rushed or had to wait. I believe the course tee times are spread out to maximize the available space between groups.

Between rounds we ate at the snack bar in the clubhouse. They have a good selection of hot and cold sandwiches, Salads and a few other items. The food was good, service was fast and friendly, and the prices were very reasonable. They had a great 2 for $6 beer special which I took advantage of a few times! A day at World Woods definitely a must for any golfer!

I loved how the club did not feel pretentious in any way. There were not a bunch of attendants seeking tips for wiping down clubs. Everyone who worked there was genuinely friendly and helpful! It is truly a place built for anyone who just loves golf.

Besides the relatively beaten up carts and modest clubhouse (which I appreciate) the only issue I had was with the greens. The putting surfaces were mowed and were smooth, but fairly slow. You just need to get used to the speed, they still rolled true. Both of the courses were in good shape overall.

Must play

If you are anywhere close to North of Tampa.... This is just an awesome experience.... I am lucky enough to live in the area and play this course all the time....

Pine Barren!

Great course! Always enjoy playing pine barren.. hole 4 is awesome! If you get a chance, I definitely recommend playing rolling oaks at the same facility.. Great layout and elevation changes.. 2 of my favorite courses!!

Missouri Advisor

People Everywhere!

Played this course back in November 2018. I believe there are three courses on the property but am not from the area so I could be wrong... Either way, I have never seen so many people in one place trying to check in and get carts at one time... It was a madhouse. The pace of play was awful and one of the two guys in the clubhouse checking people in was one of the most rude people I have ever experienced at a golf course.... Other than that, the course was great and the layout was very fun and I would be happy to come back (probably not on a weekend). Definitely not a 5 star course but a strong 4!

excellent course,challenging,good layout,staff very friendly
but very poor clubhouse and buggies not in good conditions.highly reccomended!!

2ND TIME NO BETTER

2nd time playing the course on a father / son outing. Required to play with a stranger who insisted on playing from the tips despite not having the game. Course itself in good shape. Starter and rangers nice but couldn't keep things moving. Nearly 5 hour round. My suggestion is to watch a group and if they are not hitting fairways and greens require them to move up a tee box. Carts in poor condition and course is in the middle of nowhere otherwise come to play.

A Must Play

Third time playing Pine Barrens, and enjoyed each time. Whenever I'm in Florida I try to make an effort to go to World Woods. Great value for a great course. A challenge also and in good condition everytime I've played it. Can't wait to get back.

Good course.

Great layout, in good condition and excellent pace.

Florida Advisor

Other worldly

This golf course truly is everything everyone said about it. There is not one weak hole on the golf course, all 18 are very beautiful and a good challenge to play. The abundance of sand really makes the course special. The greens roll very quick and nice and all of the fairways are in top condition. My girlfriend and I walked the course and although it is no easy walk (granted we were all over the place), registering in at about 8 miles, it can be done..this is definitely a course to bring a camera with you because it is unlike any other course that you’ve ever played. Whatever the price is pay it and play it. You will not regret your decision.

A+

I love these two courses: Rolling Oaks and Pine Meadows. They are the best in the area at a price that is affordable, at least this time of year they are affordable. I don't even think about them throughout the winter. The greens were super! Not fast but normal speed, and smooth. I'd say 8 on the stimpmeter. They are fast compared to the rest of the courses in this area. They built up my putting confidence which really improves putts. Of the two courses I prefer Pine Barrens. It has a tee box that meets my ability of about 6300 yards, (I'm a short hitter.) Rolling Oaks is longer from the same tees, but has more room for error. Unfortunately the condition of my game did not meet the condition of the course. I have developed a snap hook that I can't seem to fix. But that is not the fault of the course., of course. These courses are worth the occasional drive from Tampa! Don't expect a lot of 19th hole amenities. There is a restaurant/bar which I can't comment on since I didn't use it.

Great

Had a great time. The Pine Barren course is challenging as well as a blast. I look forward to playing there again.

A must play!

This is a course that everyone should experience. Friendly staff, interesting and challenging layout, great conditions and fast greens. We had a blast! We will definitely be back.

Awesome course, highly recommended

Loved the course. First time playing, I got a HotDeal for $18 which is a true steal. If you have a chance to play you won't regret it. Booked as a single player, starter paired me with 2 other singles and they were a lot of fun. First 6 holes we played at our own pace, then on #7 we caught up to a 4-some that was SLOW. Thankfully # 10 is a par 3 and the ranger was there and told them to let us play through. Back 9 was awesome but hot. Course was in great shape. A few of the greens had some bare spots but all pins were placed far away from those spots.

Incredible Course

Really enjoyed this place. First, staff is incredibly friendly. Starter was beyond accommodating and really cared for me to enjoy my first time. Course was incredible. It’s well maintained, greens are best I’ve played around the area so far, and the layout/sand design is very entertaining. Long tees are 7200+ but plenty of tee options. Great course all around. Could not recommend higher. Great job staff.

Terrible services

Have played here at least a dozen times. Always in great shape. Always a fun round. However....they are terrible at the basics as a staff. I think the gentlemen who work there are angry vets or something. They alwasy ask if we have played here before. The answer is always yes. Then they proceed to run through all the local rules anyway. Starter got mad at us once because we didn't check in. We were on the tee for our tee time and he was nowhere to be found. He literally caught up with us on the 3rd hole and was angry he had to "chase" us. Finally, we never see a drink cart. Maybe once every other round. And water coolers are always empty or warm. They say no private coolers on the course. I'm sorry but next time I come play there I am bringing my own cooler full of water since they can't seem to figure out how to fill theirs. I'm not going to struggle with dehydration and heat stroke any more. So fellas, step up your game on basic necessities and stop being so militant. It's not that hard.

General maintenance

I have played this course probably once or twice over the past 10 years. I’ve always enjoyed being out there but seem like a little general maintenance would be refreshing The layouts are beautiful however some of the tea boxes and even fairways had some rough areas. Looks like maintenance staff had some time off due to cutbacks of sorts. However I do understand that keeping a course in top condition i cost greenbacks .

Course is in great condition. Love the rolling hills and waste areas. Greens were a bit slow,but true.. Have layer here several times and is a long way from my house,(78 miles), but worth it a couple times a year.

Love World Woods

It is ALWAYS a pleasure to play World Woods. I am fortunate to live close enough to play there regularly. Pine Barrens is exceptional! And Rolling Oaks is just as good in my book. A great golf experience on either course!

Valid dates: Mar 06, 2020 - May 06, 2020
Talamore’s Spring Signature Package (2 Nights / 3 Rounds), starting at $325 per person.