The Pine Barrens at World Woods Golf Club is one of two championship golf courses at the club. Named after the numerous pine trees that cover the course especially along the fairways, it feels far removed from the Florida coasts. Tom Fazio designed the course and it is considered not only some of his best work, but one of the best courses in the state. It is a tight golf course that is notorious for its vast waste areas and bunkers. Although it has a modest length of 7,259 yards, there is plenty of length within the layout with many of the par 4s stretching past 400 yards. There are two small lakes that come into play. The fourth hole is one of the most well known, and most photographed, in the state. It is a par 5 with a treacherous waste area dominating the right side all the way to the green.

World Woods Golf Club - Pine Barrens

Year Built 1993
Fairways Winter Rye
Greens Tifdwarf Grass
Architect Tom Fazio (1993) Jan Bel Jan Dennis Wise (1993)

Driving Range Yes - 300 tees
Practice Hole Yes

Credit Cards Accepted MasterCard, VISA, American Express, Discover, Diner's Club
Dress code No denim, collared shirt and bermuda shorts required

Snacks

Clubhouse, Banquet Facilities

A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 86

An absolute jewel of a golf course

My wife and I played Pine Barrens on a beautiful sunny afternoon. This is such a visually stunning course that you can't help but just stand on the tee and wonder where to hit your drive. Thankfully we could take the time to do that because we didn't see another golfer in front of us or behind us until the 16th hole This despite the course Marshall (a great guy by the way) telling us to pack our patience because the course was really busy.
A wonderful day that we would love to repeat. We're already booked for another round.
What a fantastic facility. Not sure we can play elsewhere now.

Can't get much better

World Woods Pine Barrens is a treat! Course always provides a challenge. Rolling terrain and sand dunes very different from most Florida courses. Pure golf!

Avoid. Multiple greens require work, and the Worst staff I have experienced on a Golf Course

I had high hopes for the course, seeing as the course was found on a number of golf course aggregating websites as well ranked. I would like to believe that at one time this course could have been well ranked; HOWEVER, that is, nor was my current experience. There is a number of greens that are currently having repair done or require additional maintenance [I wasn't made aware of this till I walked into the pro shop on the day of the round- hopefully those reading this are now aware, and keep this in mind when booking]. As for the course, as long as your in the center of the course its in decent condition, but seeing as I wasn't, and I'm a scratch golfer, most of you are curious about the places you will likely play out of i.e. the edges of the fairway, rough (~), and waste bunkers (which take there name quite literally to the quality of their condition, and bear in mind they consider the bunkers around the green as waste bunkers, so don't expect good conditions for wedge shots). Crab grass (I think thats what its called) and patches are growing issue the farther you deviate from the center of the course.

For the price, one would expect GPS in the cart, there isn't. Don't buy the yardage book in the pro shop, the yardage/help is sparse.

Now the staff. Reason alone to avoid the course, if the above wasn't enough to cause apprehension. By the time I finished my round I felt harassed, threatened, and lied to. I never seen such unprofessional behavior from a ranger, manager, and cart girl. [The women in the pro shop was pleasant, though I would expect with a pandemic currently in full swing, at least the staff indoor would wear a mask, I understand in FL its not necc. req., by law, but sometimes you hope commonsense will prevail.]

While not really a substantial impact on my round, the cart paths look like someone took a jack hammer to them every hundred feet or so for 18 holes. It leads me to believe that at its prime it may have been a great course, but over time either management/ownership has changed and/or ownership has chosen to milk the golfers who make the mistake to come and play for every dime they can.

I don't see much changing in the future, particularly with the staff, seeing as the managers family member (an employee of the course as well) is largely the root of at least my experienced issues. Take my experience as you will, I just hope to enlighten fellow golfers on my experience, so they may avoid their own horrible experience seeing as the outer Tampa area offers so many higher caliber courses at more affordable rates.

Great shape

Course was in great shape, some of the greens needed some work. Overall GREAT time

Very nice course

We played in afternoon.nhad great pace of play. Course layout is outstanding. some greens had discoloration, but didn't hurt your putts. Top notch courses. Well worth the money and your drive.

Wow!!!

This course is beautiful AND in great shape. Cannot wait to play it again.

paired with a great two some. Great stories golf was secondary, but shot in the 80's, great day all round.

Pine barren

Course was not in the shape , I expected with all the rain that we have had. Cart paths getting really rough.

Tough course

Played long today, rained right before we started. Course is beautiful

PB greens

The greens need work. Glad to see the carts finally being replaced. Fairways and tee boxes looked great. Pro shop was very picked over and needs restocked. Lunch and service was great as always.
Still worth the 1:30 drive to me.

Rolling oaks

Everything was great until rain on 17th hole, but still great day! Love this course!

What a course!

2nd time playing this course.... such a view on every hole. If yoi can get to Pine Barrons or Rolling Oaks. Love World woods!

Scenic escape

Beautiful afternoon round surrounded by nature. Paired up with a golfer familiar with the course. Really helped playing the first time. No houses great employees. Fun day challenging.

Still one of my favorite

Course is totally awesome. Shot a 73 which I’m happy with. Greens were nice.. I’ve seen the course in better shape but for summer it was good & honestly still very very nice

As always

One of my favorite courses. As always, a wonderful day on a great course!

My favorite

I've played just about every course in the Tampa area and Pine Barrens is by far my favorite.

Awesome layout and an excellent value

I think we paid $50 for an early morning Friday tee time which was great value for this course. We got a little nervous as we came to the first putting green we saw because they were slow and bumpy, but luckily the greens were nothing close to that. The clubhouse is nothing special but everyone there was very welcoming and accommodating. The bacon egg and cheese breakfast sammy was great, highly recommend getting one (or two). Overall the course was in great shape. The greens rolled great, not overly fast but still challenging if you left yourself above the hole. Tee boxes and fairways were in good shape and the bunkers were all well kept. The layout of this course is fun, no two holes feel the same and it requires some strategy off the tee.

What a Gem!

We made a 4 hour round trip to play and we're already working on our return trip. The course is incredible and truly doesn't feel like a Florida course at all. It's so nice playing and not seeing 500 houses lining fairways down both sides.

The course is visually stunning. The par 3s are challenging to say the least. Nothing too tricky as far as layouts, so you can score well first time out.

The course doesn't match the rest of the place, the clubhouse is old and run down. Reminded me of Caddyshack and hasn't been updated since then. Still doesn't matter, the course more than makes up for all of that. Friendly staff and awesome course! It was an absolute steal at $40

Homosassa, Florida