The Pine Barrens at World Woods Golf Club is one of two championship golf courses at the club. Named after the numerous pine trees that cover the course especially along the fairways, it feels far removed from the Florida coasts. Tom Fazio designed the course and it is considered not only some of his best work, but one of the best courses in the state. It is a tight golf course that is notorious for its vast waste areas and bunkers. Although it has a modest length of 7,259 yards, there is plenty of length within the layout with many of the par 4s stretching past 400 yards. There are two small lakes that come into play. The fourth hole is one of the most well known, and most photographed, in the state. It is a par 5 with a treacherous waste area dominating the right side all the way to the green.

World Woods Golf Club - Pine Barrens

Year Built 1993
Fairways Winter Rye
Greens Tifdwarf Grass
Architect Tom Fazio (1993) Jan Bel Jan Dennis Wise (1993)

Driving Range Yes - 300 tees
Practice Hole Yes

Credit Cards Accepted MasterCard, VISA, American Express, Discover, Diner's Club
Dress code No denim, collared shirt and bermuda shorts required

A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 86

An absolute jewel of a golf course

My wife and I played Pine Barrens on a beautiful sunny afternoon. This is such a visually stunning course that you can't help but just stand on the tee and wonder where to hit your drive. Thankfully we could take the time to do that because we didn't see another golfer in front of us or behind us until the 16th hole This despite the course Marshall (a great guy by the way) telling us to pack our patience because the course was really busy.
A wonderful day that we would love to repeat. We're already booked for another round.
What a fantastic facility. Not sure we can play elsewhere now.

Keep it between the lines

You can have a great score as long as you keep it in the fairway. Greens are wicked tough, especially if you haven’t played here before. . Now that I know the course s not, I’ll be back

Fantastic layout

Always a pleasure playing this course.Other than greens being on the slow side,conditions are great.Although courses are not as full as normal a ranger was needed with players playing slowly and from wrong tees.

Not like it used to be

I’ve played World Woods - Pine Barrens many times over the years and it remains a terrific layout and beautiful terrain but this particular visit the fairways were dry and the greens were slow. They rolled true but just slower than normal and some were not in good condition with a fungus issue on some greens.

This could still be one of Florida’s best if they took greater care of the turf. Still an enjoyable day on the Links but missing the incredible condition this course used to be in.

Great customer service

Checking in was a breeze, great service there. Starter was awesome. Gave us the course rundown and even gave us a yardage book to assist us, I mean who does that?! We really enjoyed our round at Barren Pines. Course conditions were not bad, greens are a bit slow and struggling a little. Might be the winter rye dying out, they still rolled well. This is a big course with gracious fairways, the greens are what’s toughest. We drove 1.5 hours to play, didn’t disappoint.

As good as golf gets

Pine Barrens is one of the best golf courses I've played, and I've been fortunate to have played some of the best in the country,
It is challenging and deceptive, but not "tricked up" . Greens are undulating and sloping. It is cut out of heavy woods - not a house to be seen....Pure Golf!!

The course is magnificent

I just spent the month of March playing golf here & also the Rolling oaks course. Pine Barrens is in tremendous shape. I played twilight @2pm every day, most times as a single. Of the two courses this one was in the best shape as they overseeded their greens. The one shortcoming that this place has is the carts are beat up. Probably due to relentless beating they take on the cart paths that are not in the best shape. Otherwise, this place is amazing. The ranger's and starters are mostly friendly. An interesting thing happened, the last day I showed up was the first day that they remembered me.

Rough Around the Edges

Make the trip to World Woods and you will feel like you are nowhere near a world class golf facility. It is well off of the beaten path. The clubhouse is very modest with a small pro shop and snack bar. This place is not fancy at all. After checking in for our tee time(s) (booked both courses for same day) we headed to our carts which were in rough shape. Cracked windshields and bare tires. Based on the atmosphere and beaten up carts I found myself wondering if we had arrived at a once great but recently down-trodden venue. Things can't always stay top-notch, and it appeared that investment in renovating the property and upgrading carts was not an important priority here.

My initial impression of World Woods flipped quickly when I first saw the practice facility. There is a multi directional driving range and a separate "iron range" along with several putting greens including one of the largest practice greens I have ever seen.

Golfers can warm up on three full size practice practice holes or play the 9 hole Short course for a very reasonable $20. (with cart) The short course has 9 distinctly different holes with impressive and dynamic green complexes. The short course is certainly worth your time! The practice facility could keep golfers occupied for hours! While warming up there is no sign of either of the 2 Tom Fazio designed 18 hole championship courses. The whole facility if massive.

By the time our tee time arrived we headed over to Pine Barrens #1 to start the first round of the day. From there I was truly awe-struck by the golf experience that would follow. Paine Barrens and Rolling Oaks are two distinctly different presentations of masterful golf architecture. If you ever wondered what an imaginative architect could do with what appears to be an unlimited amount of space you will see it at World Woods.

Pine Barrens winds its way through the forest and has interestingly placed waste bunkers contoured throughout the golf course. The sand features are definitely the defining feature of the course. No two holes seem alike on the whole golf course and golfers are challenged in every way throughout the experience.

I found myself loving every minute of my experience of Pine Barrens. It is difficult to overstate how good this golf course is.

There are only a few points in the round where we saw portions of the course we were not playing. There is so much space at World Woods. The entire playing environment is magnificent.

During our morning round at Pine Barrens we only saw a couple of other groups. We were able to play at our own pace. We never felt rushed or had to wait. I believe the course tee times are spread out to maximize the available space between groups.

Between rounds we ate at the snack bar in the clubhouse. They have a good selection of hot and cold sandwiches, Salads and a few other items. The food was good, service was fast and friendly, and the prices were very reasonable. They had a great 2 for $6 beer special which I took advantage of a few times! A day at World Woods definitely a must for any golfer!

I loved how the club did not feel pretentious in any way. There were not a bunch of attendants seeking tips for wiping down clubs. Everyone who worked there was genuinely friendly and helpful! It is truly a place built for anyone who just loves golf.

Besides the relatively beaten up carts and modest clubhouse (which I appreciate) the only issue I had was with the greens. The putting surfaces were mowed and were smooth, but fairly slow. You just need to get used to the speed, they still rolled true. Both of the courses were in good shape overall.

Must play

If you are anywhere close to North of Tampa.... This is just an awesome experience.... I am lucky enough to live in the area and play this course all the time....

Pine Barren!

Great course! Always enjoy playing pine barren.. hole 4 is awesome! If you get a chance, I definitely recommend playing rolling oaks at the same facility.. Great layout and elevation changes.. 2 of my favorite courses!!

Missouri Advisor

People Everywhere!

Played this course back in November 2018. I believe there are three courses on the property but am not from the area so I could be wrong... Either way, I have never seen so many people in one place trying to check in and get carts at one time... It was a madhouse. The pace of play was awful and one of the two guys in the clubhouse checking people in was one of the most rude people I have ever experienced at a golf course.... Other than that, the course was great and the layout was very fun and I would be happy to come back (probably not on a weekend). Definitely not a 5 star course but a strong 4!

excellent course,challenging,good layout,staff very friendly
but very poor clubhouse and buggies not in good conditions.highly reccomended!!

2ND TIME NO BETTER

2nd time playing the course on a father / son outing. Required to play with a stranger who insisted on playing from the tips despite not having the game. Course itself in good shape. Starter and rangers nice but couldn't keep things moving. Nearly 5 hour round. My suggestion is to watch a group and if they are not hitting fairways and greens require them to move up a tee box. Carts in poor condition and course is in the middle of nowhere otherwise come to play.

A Must Play

Third time playing Pine Barrens, and enjoyed each time. Whenever I'm in Florida I try to make an effort to go to World Woods. Great value for a great course. A challenge also and in good condition everytime I've played it. Can't wait to get back.

Good course.

Great layout, in good condition and excellent pace.

Florida Advisor

Other worldly

This golf course truly is everything everyone said about it. There is not one weak hole on the golf course, all 18 are very beautiful and a good challenge to play. The abundance of sand really makes the course special. The greens roll very quick and nice and all of the fairways are in top condition. My girlfriend and I walked the course and although it is no easy walk (granted we were all over the place), registering in at about 8 miles, it can be done..this is definitely a course to bring a camera with you because it is unlike any other course that you’ve ever played. Whatever the price is pay it and play it. You will not regret your decision.

Valid dates: May 05, 2020 - Dec 31, 2020