Bear's Best Atlanta

4.1944705882 4.2 stars from 5 (329)

Dress code: No denim, collared shirt and bermuda shorts required
Credit cards accepted: Yes

Nicklaus 72 6513 yards 71.9 140

Location is worth the drive in the 'burbs convenient to the city   Great for entertaining clients advanced golfers a weekend splurge   Challenges include bunkers water hazards elevation changes   Great for drinks dinner brunch

"Bear's Best Course Condition"

johndjones's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/14/2018
Previously played Used cart Hot weather

We play this golf course often because we love the course layout. The condition of the course was better than it usually. This golf course has a very high number of corporate outings so the greens take a beating with unrepaired ball marks. So always call about a corporate outing taking place before you book your tee time because the pace of play slows to a snail's pace. The most disappointing condition of the course is the poor condition of the green side sand bunkers. You often hit gravel in the bunker or even sand bags due to the lack of sand. Some bunkers are in such bad shape that they are unplayable. But even given this, I would highly recommend this course. The staff is great there.

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/13/2018

"Wow!"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/13/2018

Top notch! I was thrilled this course is in Atlanta! I will be back!

metcalm5's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/03/2018

Response from Bear's Best Atlanta on 06/05/2018:

Fantastic! Glad you enjoyed your time with us!

"Good Course Good Value"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/03/2018
Previously played Used cart Hot weather

Bears is a very nice course and if you can get a deal it is worth it. The course is still suffering a little from the rough winter and lots of rain lately; but it is coming in nicely. I agree with the last reviewer, they need to make sure the water is filled on those hot days, it was empty or all ice when we went by.

Bears is a very nice course, fairways are nice, greens are coming along. If playing well you can score well here, overall it is very fair layout.

Response from Bear's Best Atlanta on 06/05/2018:

Awesome! We're pleased that you enjoyed our course and the challenge it presented. We appreciate your feedback on our water coolers and we hope to have you back again soon!

"Not as good as it used to be"

rf3763's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/20/2018
Previously played Used cart Hot weather

I live in the area and have played this course 1-2/month since about 2013. It is a great layout, generous off the tee but need to focus on many of the approaches. I always enjoy playing this track, however the course is not in as good of condition as it used to be, The fairways have come in nicely, but many of the greens are full of poa annua so were a little slow but generally rolled well. it was pretty hot/humid the day we played, but noticed that some of the water coolers were empty at 2:30p, Most of the fairway bunkers needed attention (raked, etc) because they were like hardpan. Would like to see the club invest a little more time and $$ into maintaining the course so the higher than normal green fees they charge for the area would be warranted.

Response from Bear's Best Atlanta on 05/22/2018:

Thank you for your review! We're glad that you enjoyed our layout but we apologize that our course conditions didn't meet your expectations. We appreciate your feedback and we hope to have you back again soon.

"Great Course"

Darryl5109178's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/14/2018

Excellent Course in excellent condition. Very challenging and fun. I will play again in 2 weeks.

Response from Bear's Best Atlanta on 05/18/2018:

Fantastic! We're glad that our course conditions met your expectations and that you enjoyed the challenge it presented. We look forward to having you back again in a few weeks!

"Great Course with Lots of Challenges"

papabeargolf's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/09/2018

Really enjoyed playing this course. Was able to recognize a couple of the holes from images of tournaments on TV. My rating of "Good" was due to a recent aeration and the greens had not fully recovered.....suspect it would have excellent otherwise.

The short par 4's certainly put a premium on getting the ball in the fairway. Need to pay a lot of attention to the slope of the fairways as the ball will roll off the fairway.

Par 5' were relatively wide open off the tee....thought that was interesting.

Don't be short going into a green. Greens were well protected especially in the front.

Response from Bear's Best Atlanta on 05/16/2018:

Great! We're glad that you enjoyed our course and the challenge that our layout presented. We appreciate your review and we look forward to having you back again soon!

jerrysohkl1's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/07/2018

Response from Bear's Best Atlanta on 05/09/2018:

Wonderful! Come back soon!

"great day, great course"

Michael3100219's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/07/2018

everything in great shape. range doesn't open until 3:00. we had 2:00 tee time so didn't get to warm up. overall great course and pace of play was excellent. front nine had course to ourselves. $50 great value for course

Response from Bear's Best Atlanta on 05/09/2018:

Great! We're glad that you enjoyed our course and that you were able to play at a good pace. We're also pleased that you found us to be a good value. We look forward to having you back again soon!

"Lived up to expectations"

HAllister's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/01/2018

This was a great course and challenging. Would definitely help to play it again. Really needed a range finder as there aren't many yardage markers.

Greens played fast, but rolled well.

Response from Bear's Best Atlanta on 05/09/2018:

Awesome! We're pleased that you enjoyed our course and the challenge it presented. We hope to have you back again soon!

"Great Track of golf!"

reallamarche's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/16/2018
Previously played Used cart Cold weather Verified Purchaser

I had guests from Canada visiting this past weekend and took them to Bear's Best. They loved the course and thought it was one of the best designed course they had played! It was probably my fifth time playing it and it also reminded that I can easily recall most of the holes due to their uniqueness and challenges.

We had a great day of golf even it was very cold out there, even for Canadians!!!

Response from Bear's Best Atlanta on 04/18/2018:

Outstanding! We're thrilled that you and your guests enjoyed your round with us. We're glad that you enjoyed our course and our unique layout. We can't wait to have you and your guests back soon!

"Enjoyable round great staff"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/14/2018

First time here, early in the season and the greens were being refreshed so putting was not great. But the course and staff were terrific. I will be back in a few weeks as I want to see what it looks/plays like when the grass and greens are more in season.

Response from Bear's Best Atlanta on 04/18/2018:

Great! We're glad that you enjoyed your first time playing at Bear's Best Atlanta. We're pleased that our course conditions met your expectations and that our staff left a great impression on you. We look forward to having you back again soon for your next round!

"Just Aerated, Still Great"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/12/2018

Bear’s Best is a challenging course with some really wonderfully designed holes. You can tell that each hill, ridge, tree, and bunker are intentionally placed to affect club and shot selection. That was really fun for me. Great for players that enjoy the tactical aspect of the game. You can still go driver-short iron on most holes, and the fairways are pretty open, but placement matters on every single shot if you want a birdie or even a par. The greens were covered in sand because they aerated the day before, but they were still smooth enough and everything else about the course was in such good shape that I didn’t really care. The fairways were immaculate. Also, the Bears Best Atlanta app was awesome! And crucial since it was my first time. Super easy to tell how far it was to carry a bunker and there are a lot of shots that require that information.

Some minor details could have been better. There were no scorecards and pencils in the box by the first green and no water in some of the ball washers. But I didn’t go there for those things and those things didn’t affect my round. So yea, if you’re a serious golfer that wants a challenge, it’s a great course and a fun experience.

Response from Bear's Best Atlanta on 04/18/2018:

Wonderful! We're thrilled that you enjoyed your first time with us. We're glad that you enjoyed our course and the challenge that it presented. We appreciate your feedback on our course and we can't wait to have you back again soon at Bear's Best Atlanta!

"No value here"

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/01/2018

The staff was exceptionally helpful and friendly but the course didn't measure up. Too often when a drive landed in the fairway there wasn't even enough grass to hit off of. It was disappointing to spend that much money and find a course in such a poor condition.

Response from Bear's Best Atlanta on 04/11/2018:

Thank you for your review! We're glad that our staff left a great impression you but we apologize that our course conditions didn't meet your expectations. We appreciate your feedback and we hope you will give us another try in the future!

"Fun course"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/31/2018

Really cool design with Mr. Nicklaus’ most famous golf holes. Course conditions were ok (lots of rain early in the week and course was very wet). Overall very fun course that would be ideal with drier conditions.

Response from Bear's Best Atlanta on 04/02/2018:

Wonderful! We're thrilled that you enjoyed our course and the challenge that it presented. We appreciate your feedback and we can't wait to have you back again soon for another fun round at Bear's Best Atlanta!

"Terrible Course Conditions"

scaredem's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/30/2018

We booked this round a couple days before, We arrived at the course and the practice facility was in great condition.

From the second hole we noticed some extremely wet spots in the fairways. This continued for the entire round. It would have been great if this was stated at check in, Especially when paying in excess in $100. Yes they stated cart path only but it is impossible to find a dry spot without sometimes backing up at least 50 yards. Very disappointed especially since for a couple of us it was the first time playing this course.

Response from Bear's Best Atlanta on 04/02/2018:

Thanks for your review! We're glad that you enjoyed our practice facility but we apologize that our course conditions didn't meet your expectations. We appreciate your feedback and we hope to have you back again soon!

"Great track*"

dickwms2's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/28/2018

* - unless it's been wet. this was my first time @ Bear's Best ATL; i'd been anxious to give this track a try & finally had the opportunity to take advantage of a fabulous "Hot Deal" so i jumped. the place itself is lovely & the outdoor staff are very affable, nice, engaging, &c. though at the pro shop itself when i checked in i didn't exactly get the warm 'n fuzzies but no biggie. i suspect this course looks absolutely breathtaking in a month or so as the winter rust will have surrendered to full spring in GA. that said, the layout is fine but my only gripes would be the following: first, let me say that the greens were fabulous - very well maintained, quick, true & downright delightful. however, there were A LOT of wet areas throughout the entire course & the drainage here is quite poor. second, for a place that charges what it does for a regular priced round (i did not pay rack rate though) i'd have at least expected the darned ball washers to be filled/ functional & i don't recall a single one being usable which was a bit of an agitation given how wet and kinda' muddy much of the course was. several holes were 'cart path only' - again, not a biggie but there were quite a few so i definitely got a lot of exercise but it did slow our threesome down & it was a bit inconvenient. overall, i'd give Bear's Best ATL a 3.5 out of 5 stars; it certainly wasn't the "WOW" that i was expecting/ hoping for though it is a nice track, some very challenging holes (we played the Blues) & worth the hour and half (one way) to play it. i'd play it again & recommend it. my favorites were the Par 3's definitely. the ball washer thing though really did bug me/ us; seemed a bit ridiculous for a "high-end" course such that it purports to be.

Response from Bear's Best Atlanta on 04/02/2018:

Awesome! We're pleased that you enjoyed our course and the challenge that it presented. We're also glad that our staff left a great impression on you. We appreciate your feedback and will make sure to use your review to help us improve moving forward. We hope to have you back again for your next round soon!

"Fast greens, great condition"

dp32185's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/08/2018

I havent play at this course for over a year due to a disappointing experience i.e., slow and bumpy greens, slow pace of play, horrible value. I gave this course a try due to limited options during the tee time than I was looking for (early morning) and to my surprise, the greens are almost back to the excellent condition that it was in 8+ years ago. Tee box is well maintained and the bunkers that I have seen were kept in well shape as well. I will be back again soon! My numbers may be off but it felt like the greens rolled at about 10-11, which is fast for a public course.

Response from Bear's Best Atlanta on 03/13/2018:

Excellent! We're thrilled that you gave our course another chance and that you enjoyed your time with us. We appreciate your review and we look forward to having you back again soon at Bear's Best Atlanta!

"Rough it"

PDCobb's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/23/2018

The greens are in great shape. The fairways need grass and grooming.

Response from Bear's Best Atlanta on 02/28/2018:

Thank you for your review! We're pleased that you enjoyed our greens and we appreciate your feedback on our fairways. We hope to have you back again soon!