Bear's Best Atlanta

Year Built 2002
Architect Jack Nicklaus (2002) David Heatwole (2002)

Credit Cards Accepted Yes
Dress code No denim, collared shirt and bermuda shorts required

Clubhouse, Meeting Facilities, Banquet Facilities

Entertaining Clients 45

Wonderful experience

Love this place! It’s in great shape and is quite scenic in the fall

Commented on 11/19/2020

Excellent! Thank you so much for the great review. We are glad you had an incredible time, and we hope to see you again soon! Thanks for choosing Bear's Best Atlanta.

Commented on 11/05/2020

Terrific! Thank you so much for the great review. We are glad you had an incredible time, and we hope to see you again soon! Thanks for choosing Bear's Best Atlanta.

Commented on 11/03/2020

Awesome! We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. Thank you for the 4 stars! We aim for a 5-star experience, so we always welcome feedback for improvement. Thank you for playing Bear's Best Atlanta.

I loved the layout of the course. The pace was slow as there were a foursome in front of a single player who was ahead of us. We ended up waiting on about 7 holes and they would not let us play through. However, it was great overall. One thing that I didn’t understand was that several holes were cart path only which didn’t make any sense since the course was completely dried. Yes, I would like to come back and plY again in next couple of weeks when the leaves change its colors.

Commented on 10/08/2020

Outstanding! We are so pleased that you enjoyed your time at Bear's Best Atlanta. We look forward to seeing you on the course soon for another 5-star experience!

Commented on 10/06/2020

Fantastic! We are so pleased that you enjoyed your time at Bear's Best Atlanta. We look forward to seeing you on the course soon for another 5-star experience!

So NIIIICE!

Love a good challenge on a great course. Bear's best is in excellent shape! If you are looking for a great course and awesome facility, look no further than Bear's best. Pace of play was sweet.. Not to fast; not too slow... goldilocks all around! Kudos to the superintendent and grounds crew... we had plenty of rain over the last two days and the greens and fairways were dry and lush.
You'll enjoy it!

Commented on 10/01/2020

Outstanding! Thank you for your kind words. We hope to see you again at the course very soon for another 5-star experience. Thanks for choosing Bear's Best Atlanta.

Great Time

2nd time at the course, my first experience was cut very short due to thunderstorms ( staff provided a rain check)... Course is in great shape and was an overall great experience and worth the price! Will play again very soon!

Commented on 09/25/2020

Wonderful! Thank you for your kind words. We're glad that you made it back out and that you were able to enjoy the rest of our course. We hope to see you again very soon for another 5-star experience. Thanks for choosing Bear's Best Atlanta.

Nice course but Pace of Play was terrible

Pace of play needs improvement. It took us 4 hrs plus and we still couldn't play the last 4 holes. I suggest the group on 1st Tee should be off the green before letting any other group begin the play.

Commented on 09/15/2020

Worth Playing

Have a 14 index and have played Bear's Best many times. I always keep it in my ATL rotation. Per the slope ratings, it is difficult but not unfair for 10-15 index golfers. As one might expect, the novelty from 20 yrs+ has worn a little, and the course is a little worn around the edges, but tee boxes, fairways and greens remain nice. Main beef is that for $90/round the bunkers are in miserable shape (keeping in mind that we've had 55 inches of rain in 9 months.) You may want to just agree with your buddies to drop outside every bunker as GUR, or at least rake under the ball before attempting any bunker shot. (Greenside bunker on 18 in particular has a hidden layer of rocks under a thin veneer of sand. Predictable result: skulled shot + damaged wedge. It will never happen, but it would be a welcome addition if management simply filled all the many bunkers on this course with the "black slag/blank sand' used on the 4th hole which drains well.) I will go back of course, but will take care to rake every bunker before attempting any bunker shot.

Great course !

I really liked the various hole layouts. Had a nice look/feel to them.
Course was in good condition.

Commented on 09/14/2020

Wonderful! Thank you so much for the great review. We are glad you had an incredible time, and we hope to see you again soon! Thanks for choosing Bear's Best Atlanta.

Nice course great shape

The course is in great shape overall, greens are fast, rough is tough and they are growing it up; and course is playing nice. They do seem to have a problem on two of the greens where a mower or spreader has cause killed the grass on some greens. I am sure they will be fixing it as the other greens were great. Course plays very fair with interesting holes. Can score really well just keep it in the fairway.
Will definitely be back!!! Staff is friendly and welcoming

Commented on 09/14/2020

Great! Thank you for visiting us at Bear's Best Atlanta. We appreciate your 4-star rating and review. We hope you join us for another round soon.

Not what it used to be

For the prices they charge you'd think you'd get better conditions than a local muni. Patchy tee boxes and inconsistent greens; quite a few greens with dirt patches and ball marks everywhere. This used to be one of the nicer courses in the area; not so much anymore. Some dude said he didn't mind paying $90+ here - I want what he's on. Also $10 for 45 range balls, probably the best deal out there. Haven't played here with smooth greens in over a year.

Commented on 09/16/2020

Thank you for your review! We're sorry that the conditions of our course didn't match your expectations. We are confident in the quality of the golf course and conditions, so we hope that you will come back and give us another try.

Thoughts

The course conditions weren’t at the level I was expecting. This course has been the most recommended course to me since moving to the area a year ago, and as I played I was wondering why. It’s an average course with average course conditions. That’s all.

Commented on 09/08/2020

Thank you so much for leaving us with your feedback. We value our customer experience, so your review is important to us. We will make note and we hope to see you back!

GPS

course was good, would be better if gps actually worked. Our cart had to be reset 3 times. But it worked well enough to tell me if I was too close to something. And freeze up.

Commented on 09/02/2020

2nd Shot Course

Enjoyed our round at Bear's Best! Loved the layout extremely forgiving off the tee but be very mindful of your 2nd shot, the Bear loves to play mind games with you! Greens were is excellent shape for this time in the year. The entire staff was very welcoming and eager to share their excitement for the course! One drawback to the day, "cart path only" day due to the recent rains slowed the pace down a bit. Don't let the summer slip away without getting a turn on this one!

Great Layout and Truest Rolling Greens

I was hesitant to play this course because some of the other Nicklaus courses I’ve played haven’t been my favorite, but boy was I wrong. This place is a gem. $99 is a fair rate for the quality of the course itself. The greens were immaculate- with the exception of the first par 3, but that’s to be expected during such a wet couple of months on a hole under 160 from the tips.

I must say, weighing the value of other courses in the Suwanee, John’s Creek area, I think that this is the best value for the money. If You think that $99 is on the pricier side for a round, I would urge you to consider making an exception. You will not be disappointed.

Thanks guys. Please keep doing what you are doing.

A

No reason for it to be cart path only. Rained day before but not washed out. (8-22)

Commented on 08/24/2020

Thank you for your review! We're sorry that you were disappointed that carts were required to stay on the cart path. This is never a decision taken lightly, but we take direction from our course superintendent on what is best for the golf course. There were numerous heavy storms in the past week, including on Thursday night and Friday morning. We were pleased to see that you rated the course conditions as ‘Excellent’. Please come back and see us again soon.

Always great experience!

Always incredible golf experience! Will continue playing at this first class golf course!

Commented on 08/24/2020

Wonderful! Thank you for your kind words. We hope to see you again at the course very soon for another 5-star experience. Thanks for choosing Bear's Best Atlanta.

Sugar Hill, Georgia