Bear's Best Atlanta

Year Built 2002
Architect Jack Nicklaus (2002)

Credit Cards Accepted Yes
Dress code No denim, collared shirt and bermuda shorts required

Entertaining Clients 43

The usual poor golf shop service

Five years ago I played here and some of the clubhouse staff were just plain rude. So I vowed never to play here again.

Then last night I saw a tee time for one player and decided to let bygones be bygone.

So I get there and they cannot find my reservation. That is when I also realized I was a second class citizen in their eyes being a GolfNow player.

Then when they finally do find me in the system they put me in the last group of eight twosomes all husbands and wives mostly older than me and I am 63.

I asked for another option and to even wait an hour and they told me there were no other options.

I am a 6 handicap which in my opinion is nothing to brag about but come on. 6 hour rounds are not my cup of tee.

This place has always been at poor value and now an even poorer value in my opinion. If you like being treated like trash you will love It there. It is like going to the department of motor vehicles.

Commented on 10/09/2019

Thank you for your feedback! We are very sorry and concerned to hear of your experience. The time that you booked on to on Sunday was very busy and unfortunately the team here did not have any alternate slots available to book you into. We are very concerned about your feelings regarding how you were treated, so can you please contact our General Manager either by email at ian.grimwade@clubcorp.com or by phone at 678.714.2582 ext. 7. Thank you again and we hope to hear from you soon!

Wonderful course.

First time I have played this course! One of the best courses in the area! Would highly recommend this course. Class course; no hassels; very efficiently run. No negatives! Great course and environmental!

Commented on 10/02/2019

Outstanding! Thank you for your kind words! We're glad that you enjoyed your first time playing our course and we hope to see you again very soon for another 5-star experience. Thanks for choosing Bear's Best Atlanta.

Commented on 09/03/2019

Excellent! Thank you for your 5-star rating! Please book another round with us soon at Bear's Best Atlanta!

Carrier 4

Best course I played this yr. Layout excellent. Pace of play good. Course was in excellent shape. Couple of traps had hard sand. Staff was very friendly. Would definitely play again and recommended this course to a friend.

Commented on 09/03/2019

Wonderful! Thank you for your kind words! We're honored that you consider us the best course you've played this year and we hope to see you again at the course very soon for another 5-star experience. Thanks for choosing Bear's Best Atlanta.

First-Class Experience

This was my first time playing Bear's Best and it didn't disappoint. Challenging but fair, this is already one of my favorite courses. Hole replicas give the golfer a unique opportunity to play some of Jack's best designs, including to of the most iconic par 3's on tour. Pace of play and customer service were exceptional. I'll be back soon!

Commented on 08/15/2019

Fantastic! Thank you for your kind words! We're so glad you enjoyed your first round with us and we hope to see you again at the course very soon for another 5-star experience. Thanks for choosing Bear's Best Atlanta.

Fun course , great condition

It was fun playing replica holes from around the world that Jack designed. Very fair layout for all skill levels. Carts have GPS, Blutooth for your tunes and one hole with black sand that you, well...have to toss a ball into just for the fun and feel!
Definetly on the list for a replay next time in the Atlanta area

Commented on 08/13/2019

Outstanding! Your feedback is important to us. Thank you for sharing your 5-star experience. We look forward to seeing you again at the course soon! Thanks for choosing Bear's Best Atlanta.

Great Golf Course

Took my son to play one last round before school started. The staff was outstanding from the moment we got on site until we left the property. The course was in tip top shape and the pace of play was great. Nothing bad to say about the experience.

Commented on 08/02/2019

Fantastic! Thank you for your kind words! We hope to see you and your son again at the course very soon for another 5-star experience. Thanks for choosing Bear's Best Atlanta.

Improved course condition

We have played Bears Best many times over the past few years. The fairways and greens were in very good condition compared to past visits. The biggest improvement was with the greenside bunkers. They still need some work but are vastly improved. Overall the course was in very good condition as it was many years ago. Would definitely recommend to all level of players.

Commented on 07/24/2019

Great! We appreciate you leaving a review and rating us. We will inform the entire team, so they know their hard work is paying off. We look forward to having you back at Bear's Best Atlanta!

Commented on 10/16/2019

Fantastic! Thank you for your 5-star rating! Please book another round with us soon at Bear's Best Atlanta!

Commented on 07/16/2019

Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We see you rated the course 2-stars and are interested in learning what we can do to improve for your next visit. We take customer feedback very serious at our course. Please reach out to our General Manager, Ian Grimwade, at ian.grimwade@clubcorp.com. Thank you for playing Bear's Best Atlanta.

Athens golfers

Above average 8.5 stars out of 10
Great value. Hard to beat. Worth the 1 1-2 hour drive.

Commented on 10/17/2019

Great! Thank you for visiting us at Bear's Best Atlanta. We appreciate your 4-star rating and review. We hope you join us for another round soon.

Expensive, but good layout and in good shape

I’ve played Bears Best a number of times. Played early on a weekend this time and played in about 4 hours. (I’ve found if you play later in the day here, it will take close to 5 hours.). It is usually is great shape, which was the case this day. The new cart GPS system with an option the play music in the cart is great! My biggest complaint is the green fees are pretty expensive AND they charge $10 for a small number of range balls. Really??

Commented on 07/16/2019

Thank you so much for leaving us with your feedback. We value our customer experience, so your review is important to us. We will make note and we hope to see you back!

July 5th

First off, the staff ranging from pro shop to starter to beverage girl are all more than accommodating, which goes a long way.
If I could recommend one thing, it would be to have a little flag affixed to the flagstick that reminds players to fix ball marks. Maybe even have the started pass out a divot tool to each player prior to their round beginning. I fixed 4-8 ball marks on every green, I just amazed at how many people “blow this off,” and bent grass greens of your caliber need to be maintained by players. The mix of holes requires all 14 clubs in your bag, and the par-3s, from the Nicklaus tees are some of the most challenging I’ve played.
If you make people feel welcome, they return. And, the staff at BB does that every time. Thanks for a spectacular day!

Commented on 07/12/2019

Fantastic! Your feedback is important to us. Thank you for sharing your 5-star experience. We look forward to seeing you again at the course soon! Thanks for choosing Bear's Best Atlanta.

Awesome

Excellent experience

Commented on 07/09/2019

Wonderful! We are so pleased that you enjoyed your time at Bear's Best Atlanta. We look forward to seeing you at the course soon for another 5-star experience!

Great Deal, Great Morning

Got a great deal and played here on a Thursday morning during a vacation in Atlanta.

Didn't feel like the "Jack's Best 18" was gimmicky at all, just fun hole after hole.

Course was in very good shape overall. Greens were fast and true, but lots of divot marks.

Thursday morning so the pace of play was sub 4 hours. Every staff member we interacted with was very pleasant. GPS and entertainment system in the carts were a very nice addition as well.

Would highly recommend!

Commented on 06/21/2019

Hi agwade89. We are blown away with your raving 5-star review and appreciate you rating us. We will inform the entire team, so they know their hard work is paying off. We look forward to having you back again next time you're in town!

SAND

The course is beautiful and in immaculate condition other than traps filled with water due to the massive rains lately. The fairways were fantastic and the greens were much slower than I expected...it took about 5 holes to get used to such a slow speed. Also, the holes were much shorter than I expected. I didn’t mind at all, but one of our foursome was a bit annoyed because he is a big hitter and he almost never needed to hit driver, and if he did he was often stuck in a half-wedge situation to the green. The staff was excellent. The starter actually gave a short story about the course and some tips on how to play. Carts were equipped with GPS to help with distances.

The only negative I had was the inordinate amount of traps on the course. They seemed to be everywhere. At least one of our foursome was in a trap on 17 of the holes I believe. In all reality, the course was probably just better than my skill level. I am AWFUL at getting out of sand, so...

All in all, the course was excellent and fun. I will definitely play again if I find another great hot deal...if not, the price is a bit steep.

Commented on 06/12/2019

Great! We're glad that our course conditions met your expectations and that our staff left a great impression on you. We appreciate your feedback on our sand traps and we look forward to having you back again soon!

Very accommodating staff

We had a group of four guys for our annual weekend golf trip in Atlanta. We had scheduled a tee time for Saturday afternoon at Bears Best. Unfortunately the day was a complete wash out. Marty, inside the clubhouse, was EXTREMELY accommodating in getting us on the course on Sunday morning and went way and above to make sure we had a great time. The course looked amazing for just having received over 2” of rain.

Great place to play for a guys weekend getaway and staff truly treats you like they are excited to have you playing in the course.

Commented on 06/12/2019

Wonderful! We're glad that you were able to enjoy your round with us despite all the rain we had. We're also pleased that our staff left a great impression on you. We look forward to having you back again soon for your next round with us!

Sand traps

They were awful. Outside of the sand traps everything else was good. I mean the sand traps were in worse shape than trophy club of apalachee. And that’s bad.

Commented on 05/29/2019

Fantastic! We're thrilled that you enjoyed our course, but we apologize that our sand traps didn't meet your expectations. We can't wait to have you back again soon for your next round at Bear's Best Atlanta!

Another great day at Bears Best

I play it several times a year and am never disappointed, in great shape, good practice area, and gracious staff. The only improvement I'd like to see is some type of marking on the green flags to let you know if it's front, middle, or back. I heard that Mr. Nicklaus doesn't like them, but on a public course I think they're a necessity. On the plus side, the carts have GPS.

Commented on 05/17/2019

Excellent! We're glad that you enjoyed our course and that our staff left a great impression on you. We appreciate your feedback on our flags and we look forward to having you back again soon!

Potential Gallore

This could be the best option for a GolfNow course in Atlanta with a few improvements to the course. First off I used one of my Golfpass free rounds on the tee time, so I can't complain too much.

Pace of play was really poor, they had scheduled a scramble the same day we booked our time. Our tee time was 40 minutes behind the last scramble group and our foursome caught them by Hole 5. Unfortunately it turned into a 5.5 hour round because of this. I know this isn't a usual scenario, but I was really looking forward to playing the course and it put a bit of a damper on it. Surprised they allowed tee-times so close to and on the day of a huge outing like that.

Course conditions are in improving out of winter condition. I was surprised the greens had been punched so recently (Most courses punched about 6 weeks ago and can't tell at all now) and they hadn't fully recovered. So the greens were slow to say the least, but you can tell they are in improving condition. The worst part about the course is by far the bunkers. They need to invest some money into some sand. Some of the bunkers were so deadpan hard, the liners were showing through and felt like concrete to hit off of. It was a factor in everyone of the foursomes game. A few bare spots here and there on the fairway edges but overall improving coming out of winter. I will say the TEEBOXES are in EXCELLENT condition for the most part. Which is huge on a often played course. Keep it up there!

Bring your lunch because the cart attendant does not have any food other than light snacks, and their is no turn so the clubhouse isn't accessible at any point during the round. They need a 9 hole snack shack at least.

The layout of the course is pretty great if you ask me. A good test with enough short dogleg holes, enough but not overly elevation, and enough pure driver holes. The par 3's were fair lengths as well.

The practice facility/range is great as well, however the nickel and diming for balls is a bit amateur hour for a course that tries to promote itself as being upper end.

Overall this could be the best course in Atlanta with a few improvements. For my money, right now though I prefer Echelon but Bears Best is right there with it and would probably get the nod if they fixed a few of the easily fixable issues listed in this review.

Commented on 05/17/2019

Awesome! We're pleased that you enjoyed our course conditions and the challenge of our layout. We apologize that the pace of play was slow and we appreciate you taking the time to leave us such a detailed review. We would love to talk to you more about your time with us. Please reach out to our General Manager, Ian Grimwade, at Ian.Grimwade@clubcorp.com. Thank you again and we look forward to speaking with you!

Sugar Hill, Georgia