Type Public/Resort
Style Desert

The Cholla golf course at We-Ko-Pa Golf Club, open since 2001, receives distinctions: The course, created over 7,225 yards by Scott Miller, made Sports Illustrated's list of the 10 best new public courses when it debuted. Other honors include the 2006-07 Zagat Survey's highest rating in Arizona and Golfweek's No. 2 best Arizona public course in 2006. The golf club sits near Scottsdale and Fountain Hills, on the Fort McDowell Yavapai Nation's territory, and runs through some of the Sonora Desert that sill remains intact, as yet untouched by the surrounding commercial and residential developments. We-Ko-Pa means "Four Peaks" in the Yavapai language.

A round of golf on the Cholla Course at the We-Ko-Pa Golf Club kicks off on a par-4 hole that measures 351 yards from the Tournament tees. Things get crazy long on the 18th hole, a par 5 that plays to 605 yards from the Tournament tees.

A round of golf on the Cholla Course at the We-Ko-Pa Golf Club concludes on a relatively short par 4 that measures 432 yards.

Year Built 2001
Greens TiffDwarf Grass
Architect Scott Miller (2001)

Driving Range yes - 25 tees

Credit Cards Accepted Yes
Dress code Proper golf attire, no denim.

Favorite AZ course

I've played here numerous times. It is actually my favorite Arizona course. The great thing about the course is the diversity of holes. Every hole is like a signature hole. It's great to play a course with no houses .
If you cant make it to Bandon, this is a great alternative. Enjoy

Boston Advisor

Truly Spectacular

From the moment you pull up to the bag drop you know this is going to be special. Everyone we came in contact with at We-Ko-Pa was great to deal with. As for the course, the layout is one of the best I have seen in all of Arizona. And the views, wow the views, my camera couldn’t keep up with all of the scenic shots from the course. The layout itself is fair but challenging in spots. Some holes have some very tight landing areas and the greens were well bunkered. The elevation changes, though not dramatic like other courses in the area, still make you think over the ball. The greens were a tiny bit slow but they were consistent throughout. This is a must play for your buddy trip itineraries in AZ.

Great conditions

Tee’d off around 1130 and played in 2.5 hours as a single....did not catch up to anyone until hole 16. Not the most difficult course even though I hit a few tee shots out of bounds. All were poor shots and not due to lack of familiarity as the in-cart GPS made getting around the foreign course Pretty straightforward. Greens were perfect . $38 bucks as a AZ resident was a heck of deal. Overall fun course!

One of the Best I've Played

I loved We-Ko-Pa. Played 36 holes. Greens were perfect! So were the bunkers and fairways. Hats off to the groundskeepers and course designer here. In addition to pristine conditions the views are breathtaking. Maybe Saguaro has slightly better views. I don't think I could ask much more out of the quality of a course or conditions. Cart staff were friendly, pro shop front staff were OK. GPS on carts, free driving range and practice area. We ate at the clubhouse, the food was awesome but the service was bad / slow. Very expensive for a blue collar guy like me, but I really, really enjoyed it. Got a more reasonable twilight rate for the second 18.

I’ve Definitely Had Better Experiences

Ok, the layout is great, with breathtaking views. The course condition was also great. But when I’m paying a premium price at a course besides layout and condition I expect service, to be treated like they’re happy that I chose their course, over the many other options.. I’ve been to many courses, in the area where as soon as i pull up right through to when I am leaving I feel like I’ve been treated like a valued guest. I shouldn’t be feeling like it is I who should be gratefully to playing at their facility.
The person at bag drop, did ask how I was, but after that it seemed like she rather be somewhere else. No direction was given and after numerous minutes I tracked down my clubs. The pro shop person definitely gave me the impression that I should be grateful to be there. The only friendly person I encountered was the starter. Rarely saw a marshal, pace of play was terrible for this caliber and cost of course, 4 hours 45 minutes to play 18.
Supposedly we-ko-pa is rated as one of the top places to play, I say this is because of the layout/conditions, not the staff.
Been there done it.
I wouldn’t recommend this course.

A great round of golf

Although I didn't play close to my usual round of golf, our foursome represented themselves well. 4 Seniors (60's and 70's) handicaps from 6 to 20.
Staff - As good as I have ever experienced across the board. Friendly and helpful to a fault
Course - Wow, a thinking persons golf course. Every hole unique and a challenge, but fair. As well designed a golf course as I have ever played
Conditions - Greens excellent condition, relatively fast but not unmanageable
Fairways - close cut, perfect
Tee boxes - ditto fairways, clean as a whistle
Negatives - no ball cleaners on the course as they are on each golf cart. Our cart had no water in the ball cleaner. A few bunkers had almost no sand in their low spots.
I'll be back......often

One of the best I've played

Going into the round, I knew the course would be great. But the pictures do not do it justice.

I spent weeks planning which 2 courses to play in the Phoenix area for my first taste of golf in the area. And choose according to my tastes.

So we played this and Quintero. Quintero was great, but Cholla has 0 bad holes on it. 18 gems.

I've played well over 100 courses all over the world, and this is right up there with the best I've played.

Phenomenal condition (greens slower due to overseed, which was the only downside), incredible layout/design.

I know many prefer Saguaro, which I have not played. But I don't see how it could beat Cholla.

I'll be back to Phoenix to play more golf in the future.

But I emplore any visting the area wondering where to play - play Cholla at WeKoPa, it will not disappoint

Worst golf ever

visiting the Scottsdale area for 10 days of golf and was told we had to try We-Ko-Pa when we arrive one course was closed for over seeding and they had already shaved the fairway down to nothing on the Cholla course .I was like playing on cement At the pro shop they gave us a 10 dollar discount of the full price , This was a total rip off and I was so disappointed with the conditions They should have never lets us tee off Shame on them for charging this price for the worst round of golf in Scottsdale that week

need to play here more often

the good news weather perfect for this time of year,courses in very good shape fairways and greens almost perfect first group out have separate ranges for the two courses very friendly staff,bad news G.P.S. is kinda confusing if not used to playing the course lots of blind tee shots due to G.P.S. not giving good information,sand in the bunkers is not the typical "desert"sand kinda the white fluffy stuff have to be able to play a different kind of bunker shot than what is normal for the phoenix desert,beverage cart came around quite often good thing and she was "very friendly and nice" kelly from Cleveland,Oh

Top Choice

Played this course this last weekend with a group of old friends from the East Coast. We played several other very high profile courses in Scottsdale over the weekend, and all agreed without hesitation that this was our favorite. The tee sheet was full, but in the course of our round we saw only brief glimpses of other groups both ahead and behind us. The course was wonderful both aesthetically and from a golf standpoint. Staff was great to work with. Hope to come back soon.

Wisconsin Advisor

Quinessential Desert Golf

I could not make it to We Ko Pa during my fall visit to AZ because the course was closed for overseeding. I was excited when it was in the rotation for my annual buddies trip because I have heard so many good things about it.
Perfect conditions. Carpet like fairways and awesome greens that rolled true and were green. By far the best that we played the entire week during peak season. I know they have an advantage when it comes to watering and they definitely use it.
The course is very playable from the combines tees although shorter hitters may have trouble with some of the forced carries off the tee box. Holes offer a nice variety of doglegs and strategic options and long hitters can blast away on most holes but you must know where to place your tee shots. Great views on the Cholla and I cannot wait to come back.

Great desert golf experience. Scenic, no surrounding developments and wonderful conditions. Fairways are generous but if you miss by much it can be penal. Key to scoring is in the approach—although the greens are large, if missed in regulation or in the wrong spot, scoring is difficult. Greens are undulating and challenging, but very fair. Must play course for the desert experience and challenge.

Massachusetts Advisor

Cholla Was the Perfect Choice for Great Golf

I got to play the Cholla course on a perfect Wednesday while vacationing in AZ. I had played the Saguaro course 2 years ago and loved it, so I had high expectations for Cholla. With temps in the 70's, it was a perfect day to let the ball fly. We played the Composite tees at 6500 yards, and that was right on for us. Every aspect of this course was excellent on this day from tees to fairways to greens and even the hazards. There are 18 clearly unique holes on Cholla that use elevation changes and natural effects to challenge your game. You must be careful to cautious when putting, as some putts can easily get away from you if you are too aggressive. We enjoyed every minute of the 4:20 we spent on Cholla. It was a perfectly paced and well managed round on this deservedly busy golf destination. The only back up was at the halfway house on the 10th tee that we hit at exactly 12:00. I would urge any golfers, regardless of handicap, to get a round or 2 in at We Ko Pa if you are anywhere within 50 miles of it. You will not be disappointed. I assure you that.

Minnesota Advisor

A great place, but my second choice - Cholla

Cholla is a very fun course, I played all 36 and will be writing an additional review for Saguaro. We started the day with Cholla and I was really looking forward to playing here. Very cool restaurant and pro shop area, they have a fire pit as well which was quite neat. We Ko Pa had least friendly/welcoming of the 5 courses we played during our trip, which was disappointing. It was fine, but when we compared to the others we realized they were the only course to literally not say "Welcome". This is being picky but for the money being comparable to Grayhawk and Troon, this could have been better. The starter was the nail, by far the most unwelcoming started of our trip. The 2 guys we were paired with felt the same thing. Now to the course, awesome views with some memorable holes. I enjoyed the course but felt it wasn't nearly in as good of shape as Saguaro. Bunkers were good, well groomed and they played pretty fair. A few were packed and hard to play out of. Greens were pretty good minus a few bad patches but that happens everywhere. The views are spectacular on both courses, the mountains were a great back drop. This course, like most in this area, is pretty tough. Keep it in the fairways or you are playing in spots you will regret. I recommend this course, but if I could only play 1, it would be Saguaro. Great place but the least friendly staff I dealt with on our 5 course trip.

Cholla!

Love We Ko Pa, don't feel like the Cholla course gets the love it deserves, Cholla recently underwent renovations which only improved the product. Cholla/We Ko Pa are a must on your next AZ trip.

Cholla is fantastic, definitely my fav of the two.

Played both courses on a 36 hole special today....You can't find better public golf conditions anywhere in the valley! Both are gorgeous and there is not one maintainence issue with either.

I'm a huge fan of Scott Miller designs and in my opinion the Cholla is a better layout and is far more challenging. The course is a lot tighter and the sight lines from the tee and fairway are more demanding. The greens seem to have more variation as well......I definitely don't agree with the slope ratings being so close to each other....Cholla should be 5 points higher.

This course is in my top 5

Cholla is my preferred We-Ko-Pa track

This is a tough golf course, but unlike it's sister course it is fair. Plenty of bunkers, but they are sand, not dirt and they don't have stones in them. The layout will challenge you off the tee & on many of the approach shots. I would definitely play this one again.

Incredible

This course was amazing. It was in beautiful shape and every hole is one of a kind. The greens were rock hard and fast, which is ideal for someone looking for a challenge. Plus, the views are breath taking. This is a must play when going to the Phoenix area.

Awesome Golf Course

I recently played the Cholla course and absolutely loved it, especially the front 9. The layout is spectacular and the setting is beautiful. The conditions were perfect as well, the greens were pretty firm but i wish they were a little faster considering how firm they were. My only complaint was with the bar at the turn. We quickly went up to the bartender and asked if there were any quick meals specifically made for golfers at the turn. He said yes, breakfast burritos and breakfast sandwiches. We ordered 4 breakfast burritos and I kid you not they took close to a half hour. We were getting relatively impatient and when we finally got them we had to slyly cut in front of another group making the turn which is a complete pain and rude to do but we didn't have a choice.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Mesa, Arizona
Mesa, Arizona
Scottsdale, Arizona

Valid dates: Nov 19, 2019 - Feb 29, 2020
NEW Online Stay & Play Promotion running through the end of February.
From $1900