Cholla Course at We-Ko-Pa Golf Club

4.6242000000 4.6 stars from 5 (21)

GPS: No

Driving range: yes - 25 tees

Dress code: Proper golf attire, no denim.
Credit cards accepted: Yes

Cholla 72 7225 yards 73.4 138
Purple 72 6740 yards 70.7 133
Composite 72 6436 yards 69.4 126

The Cholla golf course at We-Ko-Pa Golf Club, open since 2001, receives distinctions: The course, created over 7,225 yards by Scott Miller, made Sports Illustrated's list of the 10 best new public courses when it debuted. Other honors include the 2006-07 Zagat Survey's highest rating in Arizona and Golfweek's No. 2 best Arizona public course in 2006. The golf club sits near Scottsdale and Fountain Hills, on the Fort McDowell Yavapai Nation's territory, and runs through some of the Sonora Desert that sill remains intact, as yet untouched by the surrounding commercial and residential developments. We-Ko-Pa means "Four Peaks" in the Yavapai language.

A round of golf on the Cholla Course at the We-Ko-Pa Golf Club kicks off on a par-4 hole that measures 351 yards from the Tournament tees. Things get crazy long on the 18th hole, a par 5 that plays to 605 yards from the Tournament tees.

A round of golf on the Cholla Course at the We-Ko-Pa Golf Club concludes on a relatively short par 4 that measures 432 yards.

Location is worth the drive   Great for wildlife/ scenic views   Challenges include elevation changes

"need to play here more often"

desertgolfer2882's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/26/2018

the good news weather perfect for this time of year,courses in very good shape fairways and greens almost perfect first group out have separate ranges for the two courses very friendly staff,bad news G.P.S. is kinda confusing if not used to playing the course lots of blind tee shots due to G.P.S. not giving good information,sand in the bunkers is not the typical "desert"sand kinda the white fluffy stuff have to be able to play a different kind of bunker shot than what is normal for the phoenix desert,beverage cart came around quite often good thing and she was "very friendly and nice" kelly from Cleveland,Oh

"Top Choice"

briansullyMD's avatar
Plays:  Once every three months

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/28/2018
First time playing Used cart Hot weather

Played this course this last weekend with a group of old friends from the East Coast. We played several other very high profile courses in Scottsdale over the weekend, and all agreed without hesitation that this was our favorite. The tee sheet was full, but in the course of our round we saw only brief glimpses of other groups both ahead and behind us. The course was wonderful both aesthetically and from a golf standpoint. Staff was great to work with. Hope to come back soon.

"Quinessential Desert Golf"

polishpal's avatar
Wisconsin Advisor

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/14/2018

I could not make it to We Ko Pa during my fall visit to AZ because the course was closed for overseeding. I was excited when it was in the rotation for my annual buddies trip because I have heard so many good things about it.

Perfect conditions. Carpet like fairways and awesome greens that rolled true and were green. By far the best that we played the entire week during peak season. I know they have an advantage when it comes to watering and they definitely use it.

The course is very playable from the combines tees although shorter hitters may have trouble with some of the forced carries off the tee box. Holes offer a nice variety of doglegs and strategic options and long hitters can blast away on most holes but you must know where to place your tee shots. Great views on the Cholla and I cannot wait to come back.

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/16/2018

Great desert golf experience. Scenic, no surrounding developments and wonderful conditions. Fairways are generous but if you miss by much it can be penal. Key to scoring is in the approach—although the greens are large, if missed in regulation or in the wrong spot, scoring is difficult. Greens are undulating and challenging, but very fair. Must play course for the desert experience and challenge.

"Cholla Was the Perfect Choice for Great Golf"

NoonanSmails's avatar
Massachusetts Advisor

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/31/2018

I got to play the Cholla course on a perfect Wednesday while vacationing in AZ. I had played the Saguaro course 2 years ago and loved it, so I had high expectations for Cholla. With temps in the 70's, it was a perfect day to let the ball fly. We played the Composite tees at 6500 yards, and that was right on for us. Every aspect of this course was excellent on this day from tees to fairways to greens and even the hazards. There are 18 clearly unique holes on Cholla that use elevation changes and natural effects to challenge your game. You must be careful to cautious when putting, as some putts can easily get away from you if you are too aggressive. We enjoyed every minute of the 4:20 we spent on Cholla. It was a perfectly paced and well managed round on this deservedly busy golf destination. The only back up was at the halfway house on the 10th tee that we hit at exactly 12:00. I would urge any golfers, regardless of handicap, to get a round or 2 in at We Ko Pa if you are anywhere within 50 miles of it. You will not be disappointed. I assure you that.

"A great place, but my second choice - Cholla"

Ienjoygolfing75's avatar
Minnesota Advisor

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/18/2018

Cholla is a very fun course, I played all 36 and will be writing an additional review for Saguaro. We started the day with Cholla and I was really looking forward to playing here. Very cool restaurant and pro shop area, they have a fire pit as well which was quite neat. We Ko Pa had least friendly/welcoming of the 5 courses we played during our trip, which was disappointing. It was fine, but when we compared to the others we realized they were the only course to literally not say "Welcome". This is being picky but for the money being comparable to Grayhawk and Troon, this could have been better. The starter was the nail, by far the most unwelcoming started of our trip. The 2 guys we were paired with felt the same thing. Now to the course, awesome views with some memorable holes. I enjoyed the course but felt it wasn't nearly in as good of shape as Saguaro. Bunkers were good, well groomed and they played pretty fair. A few were packed and hard to play out of. Greens were pretty good minus a few bad patches but that happens everywhere. The views are spectacular on both courses, the mountains were a great back drop. This course, like most in this area, is pretty tough. Keep it in the fairways or you are playing in spots you will regret. I recommend this course, but if I could only play 1, it would be Saguaro. Great place but the least friendly staff I dealt with on our 5 course trip.

"Cholla!"

ndchandler's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/13/2017

Love We Ko Pa, don't feel like the Cholla course gets the love it deserves, Cholla recently underwent renovations which only improved the product. Cholla/We Ko Pa are a must on your next AZ trip.

"Cholla is fantastic, definitely my fav of the two."

drumshtik101's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/11/2017

Played both courses on a 36 hole special today....You can't find better public golf conditions anywhere in the valley! Both are gorgeous and there is not one maintainence issue with either.

I'm a huge fan of Scott Miller designs and in my opinion the Cholla is a better layout and is far more challenging. The course is a lot tighter and the sight lines from the tee and fairway are more demanding. The greens seem to have more variation as well......I definitely don't agree with the slope ratings being so close to each other....Cholla should be 5 points higher.

This course is in my top 5

"Cholla is my preferred We-Ko-Pa track"

randyhair127's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/20/2017

This is a tough golf course, but unlike it's sister course it is fair. Plenty of bunkers, but they are sand, not dirt and they don't have stones in them. The layout will challenge you off the tee & on many of the approach shots. I would definitely play this one again.

"Incredible"

MastersChamp2's avatar
Age:  Under 25

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/15/2017

This course was amazing. It was in beautiful shape and every hole is one of a kind. The greens were rock hard and fast, which is ideal for someone looking for a challenge. Plus, the views are breath taking. This is a must play when going to the Phoenix area.

"Awesome Golf Course"

Bunkertown20's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/23/2017

I recently played the Cholla course and absolutely loved it, especially the front 9. The layout is spectacular and the setting is beautiful. The conditions were perfect as well, the greens were pretty firm but i wish they were a little faster considering how firm they were. My only complaint was with the bar at the turn. We quickly went up to the bartender and asked if there were any quick meals specifically made for golfers at the turn. He said yes, breakfast burritos and breakfast sandwiches. We ordered 4 breakfast burritos and I kid you not they took close to a half hour. We were getting relatively impatient and when we finally got them we had to slyly cut in front of another group making the turn which is a complete pain and rude to do but we didn't have a choice.

"Cholla a classic among Scottsdale area courses"

MikeBaileyGA's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/14/2016

I was tempted to give the Cholla Course, which was recently renovated, five stars, but in fairness to the Saguaro Course, which I like a little better, I'm giving it four, but it's really 4 1/2. It's obviously one of the best conditioned courses in the desert, and like its sister course, the views are amazing. This a course that never gets old, from the tee to the terrific greens complexes.

"One of the best public tracks period"

Luckyshank's avatar
New York Advisor

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/05/2016

Got to do 36 holes on both the Cholla in the morning and the Saguaro in the afternoon. Both tracks have beautiful picturesque views as well as just about perfect course conditions. The facility is top notch from the pro shop/clubhouse to the practice range. Despite the wet morning round, greens still have speed. To me the Cholla plays a little tougher because you must pick your tee shots (target golf) as well as the undulating fairways. The Saguaro to me is a little more forgiving with wider and flatter fairways. Price is a little steep but you definitely get what you pay for.

"Renovated Cholla back open for 15th anniversary"

BrandonTuckerGA's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/01/2016

The original course at We-Ko-Pa, the Cholla, is back open after a summer under the knife. With the exception of the 8th hole, there really isn't all that much of a noticeable difference besides about 7 acres of turf removed (all in areas where balls don't normally go - like around tee boxes and behind greens). New sand and greens were installed as well as a brand new irrigation system. Also worth mentioning, the golf carts for both courses now have GPS and USB plug-ins.

The Cholla is indisputably among the ten best public courses in the valley, and when you consider that peak rates are closer to $200 than $300, it is very good relative value. I like the Saguaro more for a few reasons, most notably the pace of play. Cholla seems to have a few more bottlenecks on it, particularly early on. That said, there are as many candidates for signature hole on Cholla, like the 8th and 17th holes among many others, as on Saguaro. It would be silly to come here and play one and not the other.

"Cholla Post-Renovation"

YertleTurtle's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/22/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Played Cholla Thursday morning and Saturday afternoon on the 36-hole package.

The new greens seem to be coming in well, but they are quite fast and won''t hold even well-struck approach shots. Had to play every approach to the front edge and hope for the best.

Tees and fairways were uniformly excellent.

The changes to #8 make the hole much more playable.

The course does take some getting used to. Given the absence of GPS on the carts, a more robust yardage book would be a great help.

Range has no distance markers. A board with distances would make warm-up better.

Clubhouse staff on Thursday was professional to the point of coldness.

"Awesome layout, tremendous views, substandard bankers"

roncloyd's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/28/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

This is a great golf course. The scenery is stunning, with mountain views everywhere. It is the kind of course you want to play while in Arizona. The condition of the course was excellent from tee to green with the exception of the bunkers. The bunkers were hard and full of stones, pebbles and rocks. An unacceptable condition given the price you pay to play. I have heard they plan on a bunker refresh later this year, but it is too late for me. This would be an easy 5 star rating with good bunkers.

The layout is fun to play, and yet very challenging. It has a great mix of holes with tremendous variety. The greens were a joy to putt, as they were 12 - 13 on the stimp and very smooth. Have fun.

"Target golf"

SantaBarbaraBirdies's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/20/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

I prefer the Saguaro course over the Cholla. The Cholla is a bit too gimmicky with all sorts of target shots and hidden views. There are several holes that are just bad designs. Where you are penalized for great tee shots. If this is your type of golf, then you'll love the Cholla course but if you like to actually see where you're going, have a decent chance for risk/reward and like to play at a decent pace, the Cholla is not the course for you... I think the biggest problem with WeKoPa is the number of mediocre and / or beginners who play out there. They are both very difficult golf courses but they seem to attract a lot of tourists and beginners who really should not be playing a course of this caliber. And the result is 5 hours rounds and a whole lot of waiting... On the plus side, its fairly open in the summer as the tourists are elsewhere.

Bottome line: Nice course, great conditions, bueautiful views and a real challenge but not for the begniner or the short hitter.

Commented on 09/20/2016

If you are penalized for a great tee shot it isn't a great tee shot. I agree Cholla is more of a target golf course than Saguaro. My advice for the first timer is pay attention to the course layout card provided at the beginning of the round and be aware that driver may not be the best choice for every tee shot. There is a learning curve to this course and I enjoy it more the more I play it. I I have played both Wekopa courses 10-15 times/yr for the past 4 years and have only had one +5 hr round - in May, 2016. Generally in the 4:15 to 4:30 hr range and faster in off peak season.

"Cholla does most everything right"

JasonDeeganGA's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/16/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Cholla offers one of the most interesting rounds of golf in Scottsdale. There's lots of thinking and decisions to be made during the round. There are two holes with split fairways (holes 7 and 10), another one with three bunkers in the middle of the driving zone (no. 9) and two short, drivable par 4s. There's also plenty of angles in play on a handful of doglegs. The course will close this summer for three months, while the club upgrades the infrastructure (new irrigation, new grass on the greens, etc.). The update will probably also reconfigure the controversial eighth hole, a dogleg par 5 with a cross hazard protecting the green. If the right changes are made to make the decision to go for it or where to lay up clearer, Cholla will get even better.

"Really unique design"

kbayerlein's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/29/2015

I played both courses in one day. Segauro is straight forward not very challenging design. Cholla is very unique. Some blind shots and some difficult par 3's. Course was in great condition, greens rolled true and pretty quick. Great views off in the distance. Approach shots are pretty tight and can be penalizing.<br/> My only complaint would be the $. 175.00 to play here is a bit much but it is a very good golf course.

"Great Courses"

rankpos88's avatar
Age:  Under 25

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/07/2015
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Fair weather

These two courses are definitely worth the quick drive from Scottsdale. The practice facilities, golf shop, restaurant, and both courses were excellent. The Cholla course was definitely the more challenging of the two courses, but in my opinion the better course. If you are a low handicapper, the cholla course can really be enjoyable and rewarding, but high handicappers will definitely get frustrated. If you don't hit the fairway your ball will end up in the desert where it is almost impossible to find. The saguaro course, on the other hand, had much wider fairways. Although, the same problem with the desert does come into play. Nevertheless, the saguaro course was definitely easier. My only complaint about both courses was that there weren't any yardage markers in the fairways. If there was a blind shot into the green, there was no way to get your yardage as rangefinders can only work if the flag is visible. Other than that everything was great. I played at Troon North the day prior and noticed that the course mantenence at We-Ko-Pa was much better. The fairways at Troon were chewed up and looked dead in places. Here they were flawless. The greens did run very slow however. I left many putts short. If you are in the area, one or both of these courses are must plays. They give the other top courses in the area a run for their money.