Nestled in the heart of Virginia Beach, Honey Bee Golf Club is one of the area's most popular daily-fee golfing venues. Rees Jones designed the course, incorporating water on 10 holes as well as intricate bunkering throughout. The challenging layout has several tricky doglegs and some treacherous blind shots as well. It's a golf course that demands careful course management and some strategic thinking. Accurate shot placement is also key when maneuvering the rolling fairways and contoured greens. While it's by no means an easy golf course, it is an enjoyable round for players of all skill levels, making it a popular venue for tournaments and corporate outings. For golfers looking to get an entire day of golf in, Honey Bee's sister club, Stumpy Lake, is only about half a mile away.

Honey Bee Golf Club

Year Built 1988
Architect Rees Jones (1988)

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in Virginia (2016 #13)

Nice day !

Warmer than normal December day . Course was very wet -Cart path only -Course Condition greens fair to good Fairways just ok !!! Great day to be out on the course!!

Excellent price excellent course

I play Honey Bee all the time and I love the course. It’s a great price and great course. The greens crew does a great job and the staff is very friendly. Perfect location as well, thanks Honey Bee for the great times!

Play there every great once in a while

Haven't played this course in almost 2 years. The course wasn't busy so I got right out. Tee boxes were in fair condition, the fairways were in good condition! The sand traps, some were in good condition others were in fair condition! I was in most sand traps and none were so bad condition I had to pull it out, a few I had to move my ball since the sand was wet! The greens were not in good shape! Fortunately, they had most the pin placements away from the worst part of the greens but numerous times I was putting over the poor parts of the greens! I would play again but not pay 30+ again, perhaps 20-25!

Course condition not matching the price

The course is awesome as usual; however, the greens this time was horrible and they should have lowered the price to match the situation. Greens was just recently aerated and full of sand making it impossible to putt. The condition was not mentioned anywhere and the price should have dropped a little bit less than usual because of the poor condition. The staff are awesome. Thanks Art!

Disabled Veteran

Not fair

Not fair about Golf Now to not inform us of very bas condition of the 18 greens. Every Green has a lot of sand . Very disapointed for the greens and the change of our tee Time because there had a tournement just few jours before.

Good times

Waited approximately 8 minutes for the group in front of us before we could tee off of every hole. They kept looking for their ball even though they knew that we were waiting to tee off. The group behind us ended up waiting longer than we did. Other than that, we had a good time and the course was pretty good.

Great shape

Course in great shape, with a few greens had some weeds.

Honey from honey bee

I really enjoyed this course. The greens were ok . But the set up of the course layout was nice to say the least. I will definitely play again.

Great Shape considering this HOT summer

Course played well, course was in good shape for the time of year. Fairways dense, tees full, greens mostly in good shape... a few stressed spots on a green or two. This place is always so busy, even on a Monday. So I can only imagine the amount of traffic the greens get on a daily. Staff was friendly except the guy in the pro shop. Very rude and aloof. Maintenance staff busy, but respectful. Prices a bit high on beverages. Lots of houses and minimal shade areas. Will play again!

Review

Course in Good shape, with the exception of the bunkers, lots of gravel and minimal sand. Greens had a few rough spots also but nothing to hurt the round.

To bee or not two bees....

Got a "hot deal" so price was right. However half the greens were recently semi-aerated and covered with white sand. Don't think the pros would want to putt on them.
Did not see any "honey" bees but several dragon flies.

Played the round in less than 4 hours. Most of the holes are surrounded by townhouses and/or small homes.

Fun course, held water well

This is a fun course with some challenging holes. Usually in good shape.

Good course, but current condition is just ok

I'm a local and have played Honey Bee numerous times. The course was in "ok" condition but it definitely was far from the best I've seen it. Some of the fairways looked overgrown, a couple of the greens were burnt along the edges, and some of the sandtraps were being filled in and covered. The current sand traps were well maintained. I like Honey Bee and will definitely play there again. I'm hoping the conditions were due to the weather Virginia Beach has experienced this Spring.

Aerated without being noted in Gilf Now

Course was fine, but was still recovering from aeration. This was not mentioned when we booked with GolfNow.

The amount of rain received in the last week has surely affected this golf course.

Typically one of my favorite local courses

This is typically one of my preferred local courses along with their sister course Stumpy Lake. However I am slightly disappointed that at both of these courses during the aeration of the greens they still charge the full greens fee rate. On this day there was easily a 1/4 inch build up of sand on most greens making putting inconsistent. On other occasions they charged the standard rate for 18 when the back 9 was not in play. They just had everyone playing the front 9 twice but at no discount. I've been booking my rounds on Golf Now in advance for a while now, but I may start checking out the course before paying.

NOT GOOD

First let me say I have played many times there and always had a good time. When I checked in the counter guy started telling me such and such holes cart path only such and such 90 degree and said they were marked. when we got to #7 my buddy hit his ball way left and we drove over to it. Out of nowhere the marshal appears and says "you were warned about cart path only" I'm 65 and he acted like he was going to throw us off the course. There was no sign on the tee but there was a sign beyond whee we were but it was no way visible from the tee box. I admit we were wrong but his tone was upsetting to say the least. We were a 2some and followed 4 ladies who never waved us through and we waited on every tee, the round was 5 hrs and the marshal never policed pace of play. Again I enjoy Honey Bee but the marshal needs some people skills and monitor pace better.

Chesapeake, Virginia