The Golf Club at Bear Dance

Clubs: Yes - $45
GPS: Yes

Driving range: Yes - $10

Dress code: Appropriate golf attire. Collared shirt and please, no denim.
Credit cards accepted: Yes

Professional 72 7726 yards N/A N/A
Black 72 7344 yards N/A N/A
Blue 72 6879 yards N/A N/A
White 72 6293 yards N/A N/A
Gold 72 5240 yards N/A N/A

Just south of Denver, the public, 18-hole course at The Golf Club at Bear Dance offers a challenging game of golf set against a landscape of tall Ponderosa Pines, old oak trees, and lush native grass valleys. It is a championship, mountain-style golf course that offers 7,726 yards of golf from its longest tees with a par of 72. Tree-lined fairways, strategically-placed bunkers, and dramatic elevation changes make the course challenging. The large greens are undulating and fast and water hazards come into play on a few holes. The well-maintained course also offers lovely scenery with the Rocky Mountains being visible from several holes. Walking is not allowed at The Golf Club at Bear Dance, carts are required.

"SLOW!"

jonelliot's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/05/2017

I played in a 4-some (my friend and I were paired with 2 other people) at 7:27am on Saturday. We were told we were the 5th group out that morning. We waited on EVERY hole and the round took almost 5 hours! We saw the ranger once, and we asked about the pace of play, he rolled his eyes and seemed annoyed that we were even asking. No round of golf should take 5 hours to play. While the scenery was beautiful and the course was in good shape, were we so fed up with the slow pace that we skipped the last hole. Note: My friend made a hole in one on the 17th hole, so we were both glad we didn't end our round any earlier. Lots of good courses in the Denver area. I am crossing this one off my list due to the ridiculously slow pace of play.

"Amazing Colorado Golf at Bear Dance"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/02/2017

This course is phenomenal. It is a true Colorado Mountain Golf experience. It's close to Denver, close to Colorado Springs, but yet it's in a class of its own. Great staff, excellent course conditions and solid pace of play. This is a must for Colorado Golf!

"Our Favorite Course"

FlyingChief's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/27/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Played here while visiting from out of town. We heard so many recommendations, we had to give it a try. It lived up to the reputation. Great layout with beautiful scenery. Challenging holes - made you think off the tee. You can't just grab driver and smash it. Tees, fairways, and greens in excellent condition. Staff was friendly and helpful. Recommend if you're in the area.

"Outstanding!"

whynotgolfatl96's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/12/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

We've worked our way back east on I70 and this was the 3rd of 3 mountain courses we played.

IMO Bear Dance took 1st prize! Maybe it was because I'd played this one before, but the weather, conditions, layout, and service made this the best of the trip.

The variety of the holes made the layout more fun to play. Not every hole played downhill from an elevated tee box. Greens were the smoothest and fastest we played. While it's fairly expensive, but you feel like it's a special course, and an upscale, but not stuffy clubhouse experience.

"Denver Area's Best"

JeffArenson's avatar
Denver Advisor

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/05/2015
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

I have played here a handful of times. I think that this is a 4.5 star course and the best public access course in the Denver metro area. It is about 30 minutes south of downtown.

This course is well maintained, the routing is good with very limited housing along the fairways, the staff is nice, there is a putting and practice area, a driving range and a restaurant. In all, everything people would expect at a course. No let downs here.

The routing is the "it is all in front of you" type. Bunkers and conditioning of greens/fairways is excellent. Fairways are not too narrow, but the farther back you go, the thinner they appear. The par 3s go in different directions and will require short to mid irons-no killer length one here. The par 5s are gettable for the gargantuan driver; however, all have some strategy off the tee. They also go in different directions. The par 4s vary in length, have some elevation change and are enjoyable. Signature hole is a short par 4 guarded by bunkers and a two tier green. I can't drive it, but those who hit it far will have a choice to make. Not sure if Bear Dance should advertise a signature hole as the entire lay out is very good.

I will say the back tees are quite far back and if you are the type to enjoy challenge, play from there. My friends who are scratch love this place. I am a mid-handicapper and I find it to be great too. This place is advertised as mountain golf, but I don't find it to have 100 foot elevation changes you get up in the high country. Some elevation change, but you could walk this if you want.

If you are in the Denver area and can't get onto the private courses, this should be first on your itinerary. It gets voted best in Denver area and was #1 in 2015. A very good course and during twilight and shoulder season, a good value. A fine place to spend a day-you might even see some wild life running around the course.

"All you can handle from the tips"

714AP2guy's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/24/2015
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Spectacular in every regard. Some of the best greens in the State consistently. Have played it for years on my annual trip out to CO to play for 4 days. This one always makes the cut; it's just a special place and every hole is memorable which is rare; most notably the "bear paw" with bunkers representing the paw of a bear and one of the most undulating greens you'll ever putt on.

Great views, wildlife everywhere, few homes, wind will get you if you play late, plays long and big from the tips.

It's just a really solid test of golf and if you have not played it you need to. It's that good.

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"A great course only 30min from Denver!"

MickQn's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/28/2015

This is my favorite course to play, especially in the early part of the season - it's cheap, and always in great condition.

"Uncharacteristic rains bring phenominal conditions to Bear Dance"

highsierra67's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/27/2014

I have come to the conclusion that Bear Dance is a premier course and quite challenging with opportunities to shape your drives around both left and right hand dog legs. Two par 5's are difficult to reach with a weekend warrior type drives (270 average off tee), like me. The signature hole (Bear claw cut out in the fairway) is a par 4 that will impose a severe penalty if short out of the box. It's going to take a round to learn the dynamics of this course. Long drivers will be faced with blind landing areas if over 290 from the tee. I play the Blues and find enough trouble to keep things challenging. Undulating greens roll easy with deceptive turns and multiple rollers. All greens are consistent and can be rewarding when you can lock in to your line and pace of putt... I love Bear Dance. Uncharacteristic rains recently have provided a tremendous green landscape, beautiful lush fairways, and fair 1st cuts. Penalties will be assessed applicably when off line on your shots... For an average player that shoots in the low eighties, I'd suggest bringing an extra ball. ...in the mid-nineties - bring 3... If you're over 100 on an average day at your home course, I'd strongly suggest playing up - playing your irons - get to know the course - and you'll have a blast at this course. It's fairly priced to play weekends for what you experience.

Quality of food & beverage: Average