Como Crossings at Hawk's View Golf Club

Como Crossings is the 18-hole championship course at Hawk's View Golf Club. It is the only five-star rated course in Lake Geneva. The club's other course, Barn Hollow, is also an 18-hole course but it offers a unique short game layout that is great for beginners and juniors. Como Crossings sprawls across rolling hills covered with mature vegetation and woodlands. Lakes and wetlands also dot the course, coming into play on seven holes. There are also strategically placed bunkers lurking along the greens. The front nine is more open while the back nine becomes more wooded and hilly. The course features some especially tricky par 3s, especially the 17th hole. It is a golf course that requires accuracy though it is forgiving with safe options on the left or right of most holes.
Scorecard for Como Crossings
Black M: 73.1/133 441 365 189 415 460 194 527 433 526 3550 600 213 395 424 509 410 354 169 424 3498 7048
Blue M: 71.0/128 366 355 178 386 378 180 512 408 492 3255 550 205 387 415 501 382 345 153 397 3335 6590
White M: 69.2/124 350 331 152 361 365 165 486 394 484 3088 539 182 351 375 474 372 312 136 381 3122 6210
Gold M: 67.9/121 321 319 119 336 352 150 441 361 449 2848 515 159 315 342 440 345 280 120 337 2853 5701
Red W: 69.3/115 309 280 92 280 316 123 382 324 416 2522 507 150 283 303 413 330 239 91 313 2629 5151

Year Built 2001
Architect Craig Schreiner (2001)

Pull-carts No

Golf Simulator Yes

Walking Allowed No
Dress code Proper golf attire required

Pure delight

The course is in pristine conditions as they know what they're doing. Fact: yesterday they were week waking near the greens and the grounds crew shut off the trimmer every time one of us was addressing the ball...greatest crew ever. The course has some real tricky holes that make it enjoyable every time. #10 is a long stretching double dogleg hole that has you targeting a covered bridge..the views and wildlife leave you wanting to come back the next day. It's a must play course if you're in the area and don't want to pay the $150 rates at Grand Geneva.

Pure Enjoyment

First to tee off on a perfect, sunny day in early May. This year, weather has generally caused some issues for golf course conditions early in this season, however, Como Crossings looked absolutely perfect. Such a pleasure to finally play fast, true-rolling greens, and see nothing but green grass everywhere.

The course is built on an old ski hill, so there are some really interesting elevation changes. Nothing gimmicky, though. The layout is truly superb. Reflecting on the round, I can't think of one hole without fun, originality, and challenge.

I fully recommend Como Crossings, and am certain I will be back before long. It's a great price for the course you get, and it's surprisingly accessible from Chicago, especially if you leave early in the morning. We teed off at 5:48 AM, and were back to Lincoln Square by 11:30 AM. Couldn't ask for a better day of golf.

Great value, excellent course

Lots of interesting terrain and elevation changes, well designed and maintained course. Greens rolled smooth and true. Great value. We will be back again and again.

Good Course for the money

This course has been on my radar for a few years. I was a tiny bit disappointed in the lay out. It is really wide open and doesn't demand a lot of accuracy. It was cart path only. Combined with wind and on and off rain it made for a tougher round. The greens were good and fairly undulated.

Illinois Advisor

A fun yet challenging thrill ride

I've played here twice this year, once in rain and strong wind and once on a sunny, windless day. Both times, I had a blast trying to execute a variety of shots required to play well on this course. Challenges include fast greens with deceptive slopes and undulations, very strategically placed bunkers which will force you to be selective with your lines off of the tees, elevation changes (drastic downhill par 3's and uphill blind approach shots into some greens), and a course that is in great shape for playing it in August.

Pros: The staff are great here. No complaints at all with them or the buildings/facilities on the property. The pro shop has everything you could want. Beverage carts were on point making their way around the course multiple times throughout the round.

As you can tell from above, I'm a fan of this course. I think it is well deserving of the high ranking it got from Golf Advisor a few years ago (In my opinion, it is a top 10-15 Wisconsin course which is great considering the amazing venues in the state). Its in the top 5 most fun courses that I've played. What made this so much fun for me is that I think I used every club in my bag while playing here. Most courses are driver/wedge courses with a couple of mid-irons sprinkled in. While I did hit driver and 3 wood off of all par 4 and par 5 tee boxes, my approach shots required various irons/wedges. The par 3's provide a nice variety of distances and shots as well. Two of them feature drastic drop-offs where depending on the wind, you have to club down one or two clubs. The other par 3's are no slouches either. One requires a forced carry over water and the other is nearly 200 yards.

In my opinion the front 9 is easier than the back 9. The front 9 gives you a good feel for the types of shots that will be required on the back 9. The front 9 has some elevation changes but they are no where near what you will face on the back 9. It almost feels as if you are playing two different courses, similar to what was done by Weiskopf with his Forest Dunes design in Michigan. What I love most about the back 9 is that it feels as if you are on a cut-back path working your way up to the top of the hill which culminates with the tee shot on 17. The view from 17 is as good as what you'll find in this area. I have a picture from the tee box on my Instagram (same SN, Iamdiesel18).

The course gets high scores from me in playability because very few holes "require" a specific shot. You can think your way around this course and be creative with what types of shots you want to play. With playing on two different days with two different types of weather, I played the course differently on each day. On the windy day I played low, punch type shots to keep the ball out of the wind as much as possible. On the sunny day, I attacked pins by trying to fly the ball the whole way to the pin. I enjoyed both rounds equally. This is definitely a course I would feel comfortable bringing newer golfers to because there are holes throughout the course which they will be able to score on. Additionally, there is a par 3 course on the property as well which is also in excellent condition.

Cons: Not much to complain about here. Maybe my biggest complaint is with the warm-up/practice areas. As noted in another local advisor's review, the driving range is at the base of a large hill. While visually its different and cool looking, it is hard to gauge any accurate yardages should you be looking to dial in your irons/wedges. Personally, if you are using it to warm-up for your round, its just fine. My other concern with the practice area is the speed of the practice green. Multiple guys that I played with stated the speeds of the practice green and the actual greens on the course were no where close to being the same. The greens on the course were much faster than the practice green. Keep this in mind on the first green and give your putts a little more respect than what you think.

Verdict: This course has it all: numerous picturesque holes, very playable for beginners, challenging for advanced golfers, shot maker/shaper's dream, and a really cool log cabin type bar in the clubhouse. What's not to like about this course??? Having played multiple courses at Grand Geneva and Geneva National, this is my favorite in the Lake Geneva area. I don't just hand out 5 star ratings to every course. This course earned its rating. I'll certainly make the drive here from the Chicago suburbs and I recommend that others do the same.

Chicago Advisor

Hawks View Golf Club (Como Crossings)

The Good: This unheralded, yet very fun track in Lake Geneva is all about golf: No houses and no gimmicks. Craig Schreiner design has a northern Michigan feel with great elevation change (particularly on the Par 3's), ample landing areas, and lots of sand. Good course conditions, extremely nice log cabin-like clubhouse with full restaurant, and very nice staff. Great value during twilight and off-season. GPS on carts is another big plus.

The Bad: Green speeds are inconsistent as some can very slick and others rough. Practice facility is good, but the driving range is way uphill so tough to gauge distances. $85 during peak season is a little steep. No on-course restrooms.

The Verdict: While not as well known as the Geneva National courses or Grand Geneva Resort, Como Crossing is a comparable layout that is extremely fun to play. If they get the greens in better shape, will rival any course in the Lake Geneva area.

Best Hole(s): The two downhill Par 3's, #3 and #17, are some of the best Par 3's in the area. Just gorgeous!

I have had a membership at Hawk's View for the past two years. I have nothing but great things to say about playing here. The staff are great, the operation is run really well. Course is easy to get to, near Rt 12. Range is interesting, built into what looks like a ski hill, but shots of 100-175 are still easy to track. Conditioning is great, gps is not the most premium, but definitely is good. Highly recommend. Make sure you spend at least 7-10 minutes putting. A lot of the greens are brutal. Bring your camera for holes 3 and 17. Wow.

Great Experience

I had not played Como Crossing for a number of years. I found the course to be in excellent condition especially considering we played in November. The course was beautiful and had a very challenging layout. I think it would be a great day for any level of player.

GREAT COURSE

This is a must play! I was greeted by the staff who took my clubs from my car and put them on my cart. I was running late, but still on time for my tee time, but the pro shop employee paired me up with another couple that gave me extra time to warm up. The starter/ranger was very helpful for someone who has never played the course before. The course was in TERRIFIC condition. Pace of play was awesome. Cart and beverage employee was very helpful and always made sure our group was taken care of. I didn't have any food but the bar staff was excellent also. Well worth othe one hour drive. Will be going back!

Great day of golf

Course in excellent condition. Would ply this one anytime.

One of my favorites.

Hawk's View still remains on my favorites list. The course is in great shape too.

Great course always fun to play with challenging holes, but the greens were a little more tore up than usual. Normally they are much better but overall a great place to play for the value!!

great deal on a great course

We've been playing some courses in Wisconsin southwest of Milwaukee. Hawks view was recommended by some locals as being very nice. Upon arrival what you can see of the course is very well maintained both grass and landscaping. The course makes very good use of the natural topography. Noticeable elevation changes, tough sloping greens, and sand traps make this course a challenge. We found the layout of the holes to be forgiving to those who just miss the short grass. This course is in a beautiful area and I would recommend playing here if you have the chance.

Course is in great shape

Had a great time playing a great course!! From the freshly cut tee boxes To the speedy greens,it's in great shape

July 11 Hawks View

Greens were very fast. Moving that must have been done either that morning or the day before was left to be desired. Shavings on the green and very thick around the green.

Chicago Milwaukee Advisor

Great Lake Geneva Course

Como crossings at hawksview golf club is a terrific course. You're a welcomed by a amazingly friendly staff from the moment you get there. The course is in fantastic shape (best greens for speed and roll in lake geneva in my opinion). The course o plays very fair if you find the fairway or short rough. If you get a little sideways the fescue rough is penalizing. You finish up with an amazing view from #17 tee box (make sure to go up to the black tees for thr best view). To me this course is somewhere in the top 3 courses in LG along with the player course and abbey springs. A must for any avid golfer.

Not worth the money

Cart girl was good at her job and that's the only staff member who didn't have a stick up there butt. The course was ok the tee boxes and fairways are great but the greens look like a golf ball, dimples every where from ball marks a few holes putting is impossible

Hidden Gem

Would now have to rate this course in my top 5 for Wisconsin courses I've played. Course has a lot of elevation changes. A beautiful track. The issue we had was we played after a couple days of good rain and it was cart path only and it really slowed everything down. The greens were slower then I liked but otherwise I'm very impressed by this course and an hour drive from my home is well worth it

Gorgeous Views

The course was very challenging, however it was fair. If you stayed near the fairways and greens you had very playable shots, however some bunkers were very steep and the grass was long enough to stop balls on their way in at incredibly steep angles. The course punishes you if you are not straight with a lot of blind shots and side hill lies. This is not a course for a high teens handicap.

I have been to Hawks View several times in the past couple years and each experience get better each time. Course is in excellent shape, Rate was fair and the pace was excellent. Always enjoy playing there!!

Fontana, Wisconsin