Old Hickory Golf Club

Beaver Creek divides Old Hickory Golf Club with nine holes sitting north of the creek and nine holes south. The course has a classic parkland layout that plays across gently rolling hills. The fairways were cut through forests of mature hardwoods but they are wide and carefully sculpted to direct balls toward the middle. Skillful players could even try to use the contours to their advantage. Each hole has a bunkers but the bunkering is not excessive. In addition to the mounding and bunkering, the undulating terrain provides natural elevation changes. The golf course finishes with what is arguably its toughest hole. This monster par 5 is 620 yards from the back tees. It requires a drive over a ravine with a natural waste area to the left. Many consider it to be the toughest golf hole in northern Virginia.
Old Hickory Golf Club
Raspberry (W) 72 5143 yards 70.4 125
Scorecard for Old Hickory Golf Club
Black M: 74.5/146 W: 80.0/151 340 356 532 396 215 529 217 426 465 3476 383 446 404 182 589 367 404 196 630 3601 7077
Gold M: 72.6/141 W: 78.6/146 326 333 509 373 184 497 162 407 444 3235 362 402 383 161 555 351 387 178 601 3380 6615
White M: 69.6/136 W: 73.9/134 306 294 470 347 157 464 149 370 391 2948 319 336 350 125 518 308 339 158 579 3032 5980
Raspberry M: 65.8/126 W: 70.4/126 253 258 425 263 131 386 137 337 335 2525 286 306 312 89 467 283 311 112 452 2618 5143

Year Built 2003
Fairways Bent grass
Greens A4 bent grass
Architect Timothy Freeland

Golf School Academy Yes - "Raspberry Golf Academy"
Golf Simulator Yes

Dress code Men: all shirts must have sleeves and a collar. Women: shirts must have either a collar or sleeves.

We played a 3 ball after an evening of torrential rain. However, even though the course was very wet we had a great round.

Staff are very friendly and engaging.

Great Find! Well taken care of course and layout, Must play agin Course!

This is my first time playing on this course.

Saw a Hot Deal, great value so I took it.

It’s bit far from where I live [about 50 min drive] but heard a good rave about this course so decide to play.]

Also, we finally got a weather break and it was a chance I am not going to miss:)

The layout of the course is very nice.

I played all three tees because I wanted to check the difficulty Level of each tee box:)

Which is fun:)

We are still in winter soground is still bit hard but is well managed and the green is in much better shape than other course I played so I was impressed.

Yes, it is wet due to snow melting so it wasn’t fast but still good rolls!

Overall, it’s a fun and nice course that every golfer will definitely enjoy it!

Still a great layout

It’s January, and we’ve had a ton of rain. The bunkers are in pretty bad shape and the course is wet, mainly in the rough. But I still love old hickory, and the rates they are offering make it well worth it. Can’t wait for golf season and April/May when I know the grounds crew will have this place dialed in again

Old Hickory

Course (fairways and greens) was in very good shape except for the bunkers, which were more like green side mini water hazards. Old Hickory needs to fix its bunker drainage problem.

Staff was very courteous, as usual. I really like this course but they have to work on those bunkers.

Slow- Walked off the Course

This course is nothing special. It is sandwiched between giant McMansions in the outer-suburbs of Washington, DC (Woodbridge, VA). They do occasionally have decent greens fees deals on third-party websites. I paid 59 instead of 92 rack rate. Anyone who pays 92 for Old Hickory is getting totally ripped off. Go up the road to Laurel Hill and get a genuine great golf experience for the same cost. The part of this round that made it so memorable was how slow the pace of play was. I know it was cart path only, but the groups in front of us were void of any golf etiquette. Walking out into the fairway to observe their shot then walking the whole way back to their cart on the path to retrieve their club. My buddy and I walked off the course after 14 holes and 4 1/2 hours. I mentioned the experience in the clubhouse and the gentlemen graciously offered me a 2 for 1 greens fees for a future round (good only during non-peak hours). I just don't see myself going back to this course, particularly on a weekend. Too many choices around the area that offer more creative layouts, and don't book the tee time so closely together.

Seen it better but great course

Played today and had great time course need some work but overall good time!

Great Round

The course was in great shape - the best I’ve seen it in years. While other courses in the area are struggling, Old Hickory stands out. The fairways are overall great, and the greens were really nice for this time of year. Lush and quick. Some bunkers are not great but we’ve had a lot of rain. For $60 on a Saturday morning, Ive already booked a tee time for next weekend. And our threesome played in under 4 hours and never had to wait. A Perfect Fall round.

Old Hickory

Course in good shape despite the recent rain. Fairway bunkers a little washed out, other than that good condition.

Disappointed

I was very disappointed with this course, I picked it and drove about 30 miles because the photos look so amazing but they do not accurately represent what you will see when you get there. overall, the layout is very interesting with a lot of dog legs, short holes, long holes but the overall conditions of the greens Fairways and especially the bunkers was extremely poor. I recognize that the area has gotten a lot of rain over the summer and I can understand some challenges with dealing with the wet conditions, but what I experienced at this course was Way Beyond what you would expect given those challenges. The bunkers were pretty much all washed out or filled with water, the fairways were splotchy and wet and the greens were like walking on a sponge. I'd say the staff was overall very friendly but unfortunately I can only give this a couple of stars because the golf just doesn't live up to the hype. Much better options at lower price points, I would be really upset it had I paid the full rate of 90 some dollars , but even at a hot deal for 55 I don't think it was worth it.

Maintenance Required

Greens were not in good shape, bunkers horrific some with tire tracks. Very disappointed with overall condition. I’ve played this course frequently but not for a while. Probably will look elsewhere for next round.

Pretty good, all things considered...

Weather continues to wreak havoc on conditions and OH is no exception - tees, fairways, bunkers and greens all spotty, but still a nice layout and very playable. Nice people working there, but they seem several staffers short. Warm up area gets worse every year and pace of play is not very good. Still like the place and will come back even though it probably deserves a lower rating in its present condition.

I was really looking forward to playing Old Hickory, I heard it was a nice course that was a good layout. I also know the Raspberry Courses are very well-kept usually. The routing is wacky, but the holes are well-designed. The bunkering was very good, and the course was sufficiently challenging. My only issue was the condition. Now I understand that the rain we've had has been killer, but it hadn't rained in 5 days but more than a few bunkers were still flooded. The fairways had more than their fair share of dirt exposed, not burnt out grass but dirt. The greens had a similar problem, and were completely chopped up. I couldn't read putts and the speed was incredibly inconsistent. I really expected more from the Raspberry Trail; it just did not meet my expectations condition-wise. I've played multiple Municipal courses in better shape even with the crazy weather we've had. I'm hoping to get out here again in springtime so the condition is better, but I don't plan on playing for a while.

Course a mess for the money, staff friendly

While the staff was very friendly and the clubhouse is nice, this course just isn't worth the money based on the condition it's in. They say it's the weather, but have been to other courses and it's not half as bad...and less expensive. If it was cheaper, you could call it even, but when the course is in THAT bad of shape, you have to lower the price IMO. It's too bad b/c I like playing there, but even when the course is in great condition, still too expensive.

Improvement!

This course was hit hard with the heavy, concentrated rains we got over the past few months and it showed. However, you can tell the staff has been working hard to get it back into playing shape! I've played here a bunch over the summer and saw the quality of conditions drop as the rain kept coming, but this last round is giving me hope that this course will be back to one of the premier golf courses in the area..

Also, they offer really good discounted tee times on their website (especially in the twilight hours).

Great time at Old Hick

Was a hot day and the weather's been crazy but the course was in great shape except for occasional bunker still having water due to rain. Otherwise, course and staff were fantastic and made the experience great on an otherwise blistering hot day. Ran into the course pro and superintendent at pro shop and both were approachable people who showed us around. Thanks for a great Friday of golf!

Woodbridge, Virginia