Blackstone Golf Club

Blackstone Golf Club is one of the hidden gems of Chicagoland golf courses. It has one of the most natural landscapes of any course in the area thanks to the incorporation of more than 26 acres of environmentally protected wetlands. Half of the course is routed through dense forests of oak and hickory trees while the other half stretches across lush, open meadows. The wetlands come into play on 13 holes. Bob Lohmann, the golf course’s designer, crafted dramatic bunkers with irregular edges and strategically placed more than 50 of them along the greensides and fairways. It’s not a golf course where you can “grip it and rip it,” instead it will force you to think carefully before each hole. The layout can be a challenging test but four sets of tees and wide, player-friendly fairways make Blackstone G.C. more accessible for a wide range of skill levels.
Blackstone Golf Club
Black/Gold 72 6541 yards 72.0 138
Silver (W) 72 5766 yards 73.6 134
Silver 72 5766 yards 68.2 128
Bronze (W) 72 4932 yards 76.1 139
Scorecard for Blackstone Golf Club
Black M: 73.1/140 352 170 405 564 237 505 310 178 539 3260 540 333 543 159 418 404 367 234 476 3474 6734
Black/Gold M: 72.0/138 352 170 405 564 206 505 310 178 501 3191 540 333 491 159 418 404 367 183 433 3328 6519
Gold M: 70.4/134 W: 76.1/139 312 132 384 526 206 480 289 158 501 2988 508 306 491 136 389 377 343 183 412 3145 6133
Silver M: 68.2/128 W: 73.6/134 283 113 361 380 181 456 257 136 487 2654 473 282 459 112 360 323 321 162 383 2875 5529
Bronze W: 69.3/125 254 96 327 380 158 430 257 115 411 2428 415 263 427 94 287 257 294 142 311 2490 4918

Year Built 2006
Architect Bob Lohmann (2006)

Carts Yes - included in fees

Good Course, Very Bad Mosquitos

The layout is good. Fairly open and forgiving fairways. Greens were just ok. Very beat up. They could be some of the best around. Fairways were in good condition.

Now the Mosquitos... This would deter me from returning. I've never experienced anything like this. Too many other nice courses that don't have health concerns.

Diamond Golf Course

It is a very nice golf course and I love to play here. However, I did not like my last round that I played here on 9/17/18. There were so many mosquito on the ground that it was impossible for my friend and I to play all holes. We skipped 4-5 holes just because we were swarmed there by thousands of mosquito. The pro-shop should have advised us about the mosquito problem when we checked in. We could have gone somewhere else or used some spray to protect us. But they didn't bother to tell us.

Too many mosquitoes and slow greens

Played the course today, in the wooded area of the course the mosquitos were unbearable. Literally like a rain forest. The greens were ragged and very bumpy. Very unlike this course which is usually excellent.

Response from Blackstone Golf Club on 09/20/2018:
Thank you for your review! we apologize that you didn't fully enjoy your experience with us and that our greens didn't meet your expectations. We are always working on improving our course and we hope you will give us another try in the future!

Overrated Course with horrible customer service

Relatively easy course. Drove 50 minutes to this course based on Golfnow rating. What a terrible idea!!

The starter teed off 7:54 group at 7:47 and then tells me I am late!! Anyways, thereon - this place is a mosquito nest. First 9 holes I could not play because there must be a billion mosquitoes living in this course (literally). I called the pro shop and complained that they should inform people about mosquito infestation and asked if a ranger can bring mosquito repellent and they should offer it for free for health reasons. The pro shop guy laughed at the phone and said they don't offer repellent sprays for free and instead told me to come get my money back. I didn't drive an hour to drive back after 3 holes so I stayed on hoping it will get better.

You just cannot stand in this course this time around without being bit 20 times on every stroke (no jokes). First 3 holes I must have killed 30-40 mosquitoes on my body and I must have been bit 15-20 spots.

The course is not bad but the customer service was non-existent! After 9 holes of fighting mosquitoes I stopped at pro shop and bought repellent for $8.50 and complained again. The guy's response - We can separate nature from golf!!! can you believe it? Meaning - if there is a mosquito infestation then that's part of the game!

Other negatives: I saw water tank maybe 3 times on the course in 80F+ heat. No Cart lady! No Halfway House! Course plays lot shorter than scorecard. Just terrible.

With all this why would anyone want to spend around 80 bucks? It's just not worth it. Maybe for people that have no choice

Response from Blackstone Golf Club on 09/20/2018:
Thank you for your review! We apologize that you didn't enjoy your experience with us. We never want our golfers to feel like their health is in danger. We appreciate your feedback and we are constantly working on improving. Thank you again and we hope you will give us another try in the future!

Challenging but fair course

Highly recommend this course. It can be challenging and a lot depends on the putting. Course was in great condition considering the amount of rain we have had. Staff was very professional. Senior rates are very reasonable for a course of this quality. I was pleasantly surprised.

Response from Blackstone Golf Club on 09/11/2018:
Outstanding! We're glad that you enjoyed our course and the challenge it presented. We're also pleased that our staff left a great impression on you and that you found us to be a good value. We look forward to having you back again soon for your next round with us!
Response from Blackstone Golf Club on 09/04/2018:
Fantastic! Come back soon!

Worth the drive

An hour from Western suburbs but worth it. Great combination of challenge and playability. Scorecard offers multiple combo tees to suite low, mid and high handicappers. Great clubhouse overlooking 18. Overall one of the better affordable Chicagoland golf options.

Response from Blackstone Golf Club on 09/04/2018:
Terrific! We're glad that you enjoyed our course and the challenge it presented. We're also pleased that you found us to be a good value. We look forward to having you back again soon for your next round with us!

Really fun to play ... with challeges for sure

Very well maintained course with fast green even it was wet. Several holes are pretty challenging if you cannot find fairway. The staff are very friendly and helpful. I'll definitely recommend the course to my golf buddies and I've already booked my tee time for this coming Friday.

Response from Blackstone Golf Club on 08/28/2018:
Excellent! We're glad that you enjoyed our course and the challenge it presented. We're also pleased that our staff left a great impression on you. We look forward to having you back again for your next round on Friday!

Worth the drive - outstanding course

I drive by two other very good public courses to play at Blackstone in Marengo, IL. By far the best feature of Blackstone is the the excellent turf conditions. Fairways, greens and even the rough and out of bounds areas are better cared for than any other coures in the area. The bunkers have fluffy sand that is free of rocks. Unfortunately, I find this out all too often. Hats off the greens keepers and crew!

All the staff have been excellent! Pro shop, bar and starter personnel have all been exceptional compared to courses in the area. The only course with equivalent staff in Illinois is Cantigny of Wheaton IL and that is a price level up.

The restaurant/bar has limited hours and I wish it were open into more evenings and had a wider selection. Having said that, is way more than hotdogs and hamburgers and you can have a good meal in a modern private club like atmosphere.

Bottom line, play Blackstone you will love it.

PS I'm not currently a member or employee. (it sure sounds like I am) I pay full price for each round and have played there several times.

Response from Blackstone Golf Club on 08/15/2018:
Wonderful! We're glad that you made the drive to our course and that you found us to be worth the travel. We're pleased that our course conditions met your expectations and that our staff left a great impression on you. We appreciate your review and we can't wait to have you back again soon at Blackstone!

Beautiful course

Want to play here again. Already recommended to my friends.

Response from Blackstone Golf Club on 08/06/2018:
Fantastic! We're thrilled that you enjoyed our course and we can't wait to have you and your friends back again soon at Blackstone!
Lake in the Hills, Illinois