Blackstone Golf Club

Blackstone Golf Club is one of the hidden gems of Chicagoland golf courses. It has one of the most natural landscapes of any course in the area thanks to the incorporation of more than 26 acres of environmentally protected wetlands. Half of the course is routed through dense forests of oak and hickory trees while the other half stretches across lush, open meadows. The wetlands come into play on 13 holes. Bob Lohmann, the golf course’s designer, crafted dramatic bunkers with irregular edges and strategically placed more than 50 of them along the greensides and fairways. It’s not a golf course where you can “grip it and rip it,” instead it will force you to think carefully before each hole. The layout can be a challenging test but four sets of tees and wide, player-friendly fairways make Blackstone G.C. more accessible for a wide range of skill levels.
Black/Gold 72 6541 yards 72.0 138
Silver (W) 72 5766 yards 73.6 134
Silver 72 5766 yards 68.2 128
Bronze (W) 72 4932 yards 76.1 139
Scorecard for Blackstone Golf Club
Black M: 73.1/140 352 170 405 564 237 505 310 178 539 3260 540 333 543 159 418 404 367 234 476 3474 6734
Black/Gold M: 72.0/138 352 170 405 564 206 505 310 178 501 3191 540 333 491 159 418 404 367 183 433 3328 6519
Gold M: 70.4/134 W: 76.1/139 312 132 384 526 206 480 289 158 501 2988 508 306 491 136 389 377 343 183 412 3145 6133
Silver M: 68.2/128 W: 73.6/134 283 113 361 380 181 456 257 136 487 2654 473 282 459 112 360 323 321 162 383 2875 5529
Bronze W: 69.3/125 254 96 327 380 158 430 257 115 411 2428 415 263 427 94 287 257 294 142 311 2490 4918

Year Built 2006
Architect Bob Lohmann (2006)

Carts Yes - included in fees

Blackstone

I really enjoy this course. It plays fairly with varing levels of difficulty based on tee locations. It is very well maintained. Greens roll pretty true. Pace of play always seems to be at four hours. It is typically not overcrowded.

Commented On 10/25/2018

We appreciate you taking the time to review our course. 5-star feedback is incredible to see and exactly what we strive for. We hope to see you back again soon to enjoy another game!

Top course in IL

The ranking for this course is well deserved. Excellent facility, challenging layout, you will use all of your clubs in the bag.

Commented On 10/25/2018

Outstanding! We're thrilled that you enjoyed our course and the challenge of our layout. We can't wait to have you back again soon for your next round at Blackstone!

As good as it gets

Challenging, pristine, value, underrated are just a few of the words I would use to describe this track. Fast and consistent greens, perfectly manicured fairways and a knowledgeable/friendly staff makes this my favorite course in IL. Each year they improve something about the experience; from the course to the amenities, they cater to the true golfers experience. If you have not played Blackstone GC, you are missing out.

Commented On 11/09/2018

Excellent! We're thrilled that you enjoyed the challenge of our layout and that you found us to be a great value. We're also glad that our staff left a great impression on you. We're honored that we're your favorite course in IL and we can't wait to have you back again soon for another great day at Blackstone!

Worth a visit

Played this course in extremely windy conditions (steady wind of 27mph, gusts close to 40mph) which made scoring very difficult. Regardless, having played this course twice now I rank it up there with the very best in the Chicago region. Excellent layout, every hole is diffirent, not particularly long which means you can score on it providing you use manage your shots. Lovely 18th hole that leads up to a lovely clubhouse that has a great outdoor patio overlooking the green. If this course wasn't so far away I would play it on a regular basis.

Response from Blackstone Golf Club on 10/08/2018:
Wonderful! We're thrilled that you enjoyed our course despite the windy conditions. We're also glad that you enjoyed the challenge of our layout and we're honored that you consider us on the best in the Chicago region. We can't wait to have you back again soon at Blackstone!

Very nice public course

For a public course you will not find one in the area that is any nicer. Very good shape. Nice layout. Greens were is very good condition.

Staff is very friendly.

Commented On 11/09/2018

Wonderful! We're glad that our course conditions met your expectations and that you enjoyed the challenge of our layout. We appreciate your review and we look forward to having you back again soon!

Sleeper

Except for the drizzle and cold temps what a beautiful course. five par 5's and five par 3's is unusual but works here. worth the ride, 40 minutes from the burbs

Response from Blackstone Golf Club on 10/01/2018:
Fantastic! We're thrilled that you enjoyed your round with us and we appreciate your review. We can't wait to have you back again soon at Blackstone!

Great golf day

I rate Blackstone as a premier course.

Next exit after Huntley off I-90 greens are true fairways are cut right. Traps have nice sand. Has room for average golfers and sets up to be a challenge from the back tees. Same class with highlands of Elgin. Stonewall, and Bowes. Highly recommend it.

Response from Blackstone Golf Club on 10/01/2018:
Terrific! We're glad that you enjoyed our course and the challenge it presented. We appreciate your review and we look forward to having you back again soon for your next round!
Response from Blackstone Golf Club on 10/01/2018:
Outstanding! Glad you enjoyed your experience with us!

Hopper

Love this layout. The course was as usual in great shape. The only complaint the pace of play was very slow. No rangers and we had at times 3 groups on a hole. Also the greens as with every course you play, had quite a few ball marks. Either people have no idea on how we to repair them or they are just plain lazy, sad.

Response from Blackstone Golf Club on 09/27/2018:
Excellent! We're thrilled that our course conditions met your expectations and that you enjoyed the challenge of our layout. We apologize that the pace of play was a little slow and we appreciate your feedback. We can't wait to have you back again soon at Blackstone!

Love this course- well worth the drive.

This course is located about 55 miles west of the City of Chicago but definitely worth the drive. The greens are fast and undulating and the course conditions are second to none. Friendly staff, great driving range and chipping area, plus the price is right.

Response from Blackstone Golf Club on 09/25/2018:
Wonderful! We're glad that our course conditions met your expectations and that our staff left a great impression on you. We're also pleased that you found us to be a good value. We look forward to having you back again soon for your next round with us!

Good Course, Very Bad Mosquitos

The layout is good. Fairly open and forgiving fairways. Greens were just ok. Very beat up. They could be some of the best around. Fairways were in good condition.

Now the Mosquitos... This would deter me from returning. I've never experienced anything like this. Too many other nice courses that don't have health concerns.

Response from Blackstone Golf Club on 09/25/2018:
Thank you for your review! We're glad that you enjoyed our layout but we apologize that you didn't fully enjoy your experience with us and that our greens didn't meet your expectations. We are always working on improving our course and we hope you will give us another try in the future!

Diamond Golf Course

It is a very nice golf course and I love to play here. However, I did not like my last round that I played here on 9/17/18. There were so many mosquito on the ground that it was impossible for my friend and I to play all holes. We skipped 4-5 holes just because we were swarmed there by thousands of mosquito. The pro-shop should have advised us about the mosquito problem when we checked in. We could have gone somewhere else or used some spray to protect us. But they didn't bother to tell us.

Response from Blackstone Golf Club on 09/25/2018:
Great! We're glad that you enjoyed our course but we apologize that you didn't fully enjoy your round with us. We appreciate your feedback and we hope you will give us another try soon!

Too many mosquitoes and slow greens

Played the course today, in the wooded area of the course the mosquitos were unbearable. Literally like a rain forest. The greens were ragged and very bumpy. Very unlike this course which is usually excellent.

Response from Blackstone Golf Club on 09/25/2018:
Thank you for your review! We apologize that you didn't fully enjoy your experience with us and that our greens didn't meet your expectations. We are always working on improving our course and we hope you will give us another try in the future!

Overrated Course with horrible customer service

Relatively easy course. Drove 50 minutes to this course based on Golfnow rating. What a terrible idea!!

The starter teed off 7:54 group at 7:47 and then tells me I am late!! Anyways, thereon - this place is a mosquito nest. First 9 holes I could not play because there must be a billion mosquitoes living in this course (literally). I called the pro shop and complained that they should inform people about mosquito infestation and asked if a ranger can bring mosquito repellent and they should offer it for free for health reasons. The pro shop guy laughed at the phone and said they don't offer repellent sprays for free and instead told me to come get my money back. I didn't drive an hour to drive back after 3 holes so I stayed on hoping it will get better.

You just cannot stand in this course this time around without being bit 20 times on every stroke (no jokes). First 3 holes I must have killed 30-40 mosquitoes on my body and I must have been bit 15-20 spots.

The course is not bad but the customer service was non-existent! After 9 holes of fighting mosquitoes I stopped at pro shop and bought repellent for $8.50 and complained again. The guy's response - We can separate nature from golf!!! can you believe it? Meaning - if there is a mosquito infestation then that's part of the game!

Other negatives: I saw water tank maybe 3 times on the course in 80F+ heat. No Cart lady! No Halfway House! Course plays lot shorter than scorecard. Just terrible.

With all this why would anyone want to spend around 80 bucks? It's just not worth it. Maybe for people that have no choice

Response from Blackstone Golf Club on 09/20/2018:
Thank you for your review! We apologize that you didn't enjoy your experience with us. We never want our golfers to feel like their health is in danger. We appreciate your feedback and we are constantly working on improving. Thank you again and we hope you will give us another try in the future!
Chip1725
Commented On 09/22/2018

I feel the need to comment on this review since I was in the foursome with the reviewer. He was definitely not on the tee at 7:54. Instead he was just checking in and had to catch up with us on the first green. Mosquitos were awful that day however most of the golfers were using the repellant that they carry on a regular basis. Complaining about mosquitos is like complaining about bad weather. Sometimes it just happens. I have golfed many times at Blackstone and found the customer service to be outstanding. So I feel this review is completely unfounded.

Challenging but fair course

Highly recommend this course. It can be challenging and a lot depends on the putting. Course was in great condition considering the amount of rain we have had. Staff was very professional. Senior rates are very reasonable for a course of this quality. I was pleasantly surprised.

Response from Blackstone Golf Club on 09/11/2018:
Outstanding! We're glad that you enjoyed our course and the challenge it presented. We're also pleased that our staff left a great impression on you and that you found us to be a good value. We look forward to having you back again soon for your next round with us!
Response from Blackstone Golf Club on 09/04/2018:
Fantastic! Come back soon!

Undiscovered golf gem

Way out at the edge of the Chicago metro area is one of the best courses in the state. Blackstone is absolutely worth the trip out to Marengo. The course is beautiful, with challenging yet fair holes that demand the use of every club in your bag. I'd play this track again in a moment.

Response from Blackstone Golf Club on 10/08/2018:
Excellent! We're glad that you enjoyed your round with us and that you enjoyed the challenge of our course. We're honored that you consider us one of the best courses in the state and we look forward to having you back again soon!

Worth the drive

An hour from Western suburbs but worth it. Great combination of challenge and playability. Scorecard offers multiple combo tees to suite low, mid and high handicappers. Great clubhouse overlooking 18. Overall one of the better affordable Chicagoland golf options.

Response from Blackstone Golf Club on 09/04/2018:
Terrific! We're glad that you enjoyed our course and the challenge it presented. We're also pleased that you found us to be a good value. We look forward to having you back again soon for your next round with us!

Really fun to play ... with challeges for sure

Very well maintained course with fast green even it was wet. Several holes are pretty challenging if you cannot find fairway. The staff are very friendly and helpful. I'll definitely recommend the course to my golf buddies and I've already booked my tee time for this coming Friday.

Response from Blackstone Golf Club on 08/28/2018:
Excellent! We're glad that you enjoyed our course and the challenge it presented. We're also pleased that our staff left a great impression on you. We look forward to having you back again for your next round on Friday!

Worth the drive - outstanding course

I drive by two other very good public courses to play at Blackstone in Marengo, IL. By far the best feature of Blackstone is the the excellent turf conditions. Fairways, greens and even the rough and out of bounds areas are better cared for than any other coures in the area. The bunkers have fluffy sand that is free of rocks. Unfortunately, I find this out all too often. Hats off the greens keepers and crew!

All the staff have been excellent! Pro shop, bar and starter personnel have all been exceptional compared to courses in the area. The only course with equivalent staff in Illinois is Cantigny of Wheaton IL and that is a price level up.

The restaurant/bar has limited hours and I wish it were open into more evenings and had a wider selection. Having said that, is way more than hotdogs and hamburgers and you can have a good meal in a modern private club like atmosphere.

Bottom line, play Blackstone you will love it.

PS I'm not currently a member or employee. (it sure sounds like I am) I pay full price for each round and have played there several times.

Response from Blackstone Golf Club on 08/15/2018:
Wonderful! We're glad that you made the drive to our course and that you found us to be worth the travel. We're pleased that our course conditions met your expectations and that our staff left a great impression on you. We appreciate your review and we can't wait to have you back again soon at Blackstone!
Lake in the Hills, Illinois