Boone's Trace National Golf Club

Formerly known as The Bull At Boone's Trace.
Scorecard for Bull
Gold M: 71.6/136 520 418 380 187 407 500 388 175 395 3370 542 362 420 495 125 365 400 177 403 3289 6659
Blue M: 70.1/133 499 397 363 162 396 480 371 169 376 3213 522 347 391 479 121 352 379 161 380 3132 6345
White M: 69.2/117 483 375 345 148 386 447 351 150 353 3038 485 335 380 450 111 330 371 149 357 2968 6006
Green W: 70.2/119 450 350 326 133 353 410 330 127 332 2811 451 317 365 428 102 318 351 135 337 2804 5615
Red W: 66.9/109 411 292 288 118 318 376 265 101 299 2468 422 283 331 375 73 282 255 82 308 2411 4879

Year Built 1999
Architect David Pfaff (1999)

Golf School Academy Yes - "Cam's Golf Academy"

Metal Spikes Allowed Soft spikes only
Dress code Dress must be in good taste, keeping with golf course tradition. A collared shirt is required for men and no denim or athletic wear is permitted.

My review

I have played this course probably 6 times in the past 10 years and none in over 2 years, but I found it to be in great shape and I was very impressed with the service received. I would definitely play this course again in the near future and recommend it to my friends.

Response from Boone's Trace National Golf Club on 06/20/2018:
Hello, we're happy you enjoyed a quick pace of play and our friendly staff. Thank you for playing Boone's Trace National Golf Club! #BTNGC

Top 5 in Kentucky

Easily in the top five public courses in the state, in terms of course condition, aesthetics, cost. A total joy!

Response from Boone's Trace National Golf Club on 06/19/2018:
Hello, we're happy you enjoyed our good course conditions and a great value. Thank you for playing Boone's Trace National Golf Club! #BoonesTraceNationalGC

A very nice place for an outing

Played in the rain, so we played at our own pace. The par fives are legit. Nothing was easy, you just had to hit your shot in the right place. Fairways are wide and what I noticed was from where I hit my second shot I made the only mark on the course. Wow, The staff was very friendly.

all seniors so $26 to play was a steal. Like it so much we are going back tomorrow for another dose of Boones Trace.

Response from Boone's Trace National Golf Club on 06/19/2018:
Hello, we're happy you enjoyed our friendly staff and challenging course layout. Thank you for playing Boone's Trace National Golf Club, we look forward to welcoming you back soon! #BTNGC

Really surprised!

I played here probably 15 yrs ago and it was crappy. Amazing what new ownership, a cash infusion and an owner with a passion for golf what can happen! The course was in as good condition as many of the higher priced country clubs I’ve played. The greens are fast, the fringes are nice to chip off of, I was really impressed. It truly is a family business and you can tell!

Response from Boone's Trace National Golf Club on 06/11/2018:

Great condition, excellent range , friendly staff and facilities are great

Response from Boone's Trace National Golf Club on 06/11/2018:
Hello, we're glad you enjoyed our great course conditions and friendly staff. Thank you for playing Boone's Trace National Golf Club, we hope to see you again soon! #BTNGC

Panoramic Views

This course is a must play if you are in the Lexington area. The layout is very unique,somewhat challenging but fair, with some blind tee shots, lots of doglegs and elevation changes. The scenery is spectacular as the course is near the Kentucky river. The conditioning of the golf course was excellent, the fairways were firm and fast, the greens were smooth and the bunkers were manicured very nicely. The staff was very accommodating and the improvements to the bar and grill area are very nicely done. I will be back!

Response from Boone's Trace National Golf Club on 06/11/2018:
Hello, we're glad you enjoyed our challenging course layout and friendly staff. Thank you for playing Boone's Trace National Golf Club! #BTNGC

Great day!

Got to play Boone Trace National today for the first time in almost 10 years. This course is very challenging with a great layout. Beautiful setting by the Ky River. A must play if you are in the Lexington/Richmond area. The 19th hole bar is top notch. Great experience.

Response from Boone's Trace National Golf Club on 06/11/2018:
Hello, we're happy you enjoyed our challenging course layout and a great experience. Thank you for playing Boone's Trace National Golf Club! #BoonesTraceNationalGolfClub

Excellent condition

Played today from the blue tees. Course was in perfect condition, We played it down and I had excellent and fair lies. Greens are very nice with a medium fast roll. Course is somewhat challenging with several doglegs and sloped fairways. Rough is thick but mowed to a good level so you can easily find your ball but not as easy a shot to the greens. Several holes are quite stunning in beauty. Practice facility was excellent. I would highly recommend this layout.

Response from Boone's Trace National Golf Club on 06/11/2018:
Hello, we're glad you enjoyed our great course conditions and challenging layout. Thank you for playing Boone's Trace National Golf Club! #BTNGC

Great Day at Boone Trace

Boone Trace is located in a beautiful, rolling landscape near the Kentucky River. The golf course is in outstanding condition, and it offers a wide variety of holes to test your skill. Both short and long par 4's, short and long par 3's, and comfortable par 5's make this a fun test, without being overly severe. If you're in the area, it's definitely worth your time.

Response from Boone's Trace National Golf Club on 06/11/2018:
Hello, we're happy you enjoyed our friendly staff and great course conditions. Thank you for playing Boone's Trace National Golf Club! #BTNGC

Course is in Wonderful condition

I play this course regularly. The new owners have made wonderful changes to both the course and the amenities! I consistently hear very complementary comments from others, as well. It is very well priced and a hidden treasure. I recommend giving it a try if you haven't played it in the last six months.

Response from Boone's Trace National Golf Club on 05/31/2018:
Hello, we're happy you enjoyed our wonderful course conditions and an excellent value. Thank you for playing Boone's Trace National Golf Club! #BTNGC

Great course!!!

I loved this course!! Not easy but fun!

I will go back again soon!!

Response from Boone's Trace National Golf Club on 05/25/2018:
Hello, we're happy you enjoyed our challenging and fun course layout. Thank you for playing Boone's Trace National Golf Club, we look forward to welcoming you back soon! #BTNGC

Course is in great shape

The course is well maintained. The rough is approx 3 inches so keeping the ball in the fairway is critical to scoring well. Really nice venue.

Response from Boone's Trace National Golf Club on 05/21/2018:
Hello, we're happy you enjoyed our good course conditions and nice layout. Thank you for playing Boone's Trace National Golf Club! #BoonesTraceNationalGC

Looking to the future

Played Boones Trace for the first time this weekend, got two rounds in while dodging the raindrops! Can't wait to get back there to putt on those greens, extremely nice roll and speed to them. Sounds (and looks) like there is a master plan. Can't wait to see what's in store over the coming months!!!

Response from Boone's Trace National Golf Club on 05/21/2018:
Hello, we're glad you enjoyed our great course conditions and nice layout. Thank you for playing Boone's Trace National Golf Club, we look forward to seeing you again soon! #BTNGC

Course in great shape but pace of play a little slow due to a 5-some and wouldn’t anybody play through.

Response from Boone's Trace National Golf Club on 05/09/2018:
Hello, we're happy you enjoyed our great course conditions. Thank you for playing Boone's Trace National Golf Club! #BTNGC

If you are an average golfer, stay away.

We booked a weekend trip to the Lexington/Richmond KY area for a "guys" weekend getaway. Boone's Trace was one of the courses in the package from mygolfvacation.com. This was the last course we played on the weekend. The area had a lot of rain a few days before we arrived. We played 2 other courses the previous two days. For the amount of rain, the other courses did a great job. Boone's Trace; the rough was impossible to hit out of. In some areas the rough is up to your shins. We had some of our guys just quit playing because they got tired of losing balls within 5 yards of the fairway. I know, I know; "you're supposed to keep the ball in the fairway". That's great, but if you want this course to be fun for all players, you have to do something about the rough. IT SLOWS PLAY DOWN. The course layout itself is fairly tough. A lot of blind holes. Your first time out, you should play with someone who has played the course before. They give you a book, it helps somewhat, but if you're scrambling, it's no help at all. The gentleman in the clubhouse was very nice. A hot dog was $5.30 and not very impressive. The clubhouse guy was very polite and said it's a good hot dog (for $5.30). It's a hot dog. LOL. Cheeseburger for $5.30? Pull Pork Sandwich for $5.30? Yeah. But an average sized hot dog for $5.30? If you are looking for the Country Club vibe, this is your course. The general attitude here is that this is a "members-only" course. There are houses on every single hole, but they are not within play. Great job on the developer. The tee boxes, fairways and greens were in decent shape. There is no intermediate rough. If you are off the fairway, good luck finding your ball (even 12 inches off the fairway). If you hit in the 20s, do not play here.

Response from Boone's Trace National Golf Club on 05/08/2018:
Hello, we're happy you enjoyed our challenging course layout and friendly staff. Thank you for playing Boone's Trace National Golf Club.

MAKING IMPROVEMENTS

This has always been a nice local course that has the potential for so much more.

It's my understanding that the ownership of this course has changed. New ownership appears to be dedicated to improve the overall condition and experience of golfing The Bull. While there I noticed improvements on the following: clubhouse, traps, new signs, new water coolers & trash receptacles, landscape work & patio area. Plus: the greens were pretty fast and in good shape and the fairways were also in nice shape.

The day we played, the course had an outing previous to our arrival. It was pretty backed up. It took us 3.5 hours to finish 13 holes and ultimately we had to leave before we could finish. The pro shop noticed we departed early. No type of refund was offered nor did I pursue such a thing.

It was pleasant surprise to see all the changes made and changes in progress. The changes are such that when golfers come out to play for the first time this season they are going to be happier with the golf experience.

The slow play is not the norm for this course so don't be deterred by my day. Give it a try.

Response from Boone's Trace National Golf Club on 04/30/2018:
Hello, we're happy you enjoyed our good course conditions and nice layout. Thank you for playing Boone's Trace National Golf Club! #BTNGC
Commented On 2018-04-30T15:40:00.000+00:00

Good afternoon bohica1,

This is Cameron, the Head Golf Professional at Boones Trace National Golf Club, I apologize no sort of refund was offered to you.

Thank you for the nice compliments, but we strive for the 5 star experience. Allow me to treat you and 3 guests to 18 holes out here on a day we do not have an outing nor a busy schedule.

Contact me at camrutherford@btngc.com so we can set you up a tee time as soon as possible.

We appreciate your business and the review!

johacenny
Commented On 2018-04-30T02:27:54.000+00:00

I played today April 29 2018 and I will tell you first hand this course has went from 3star to 5 star in just a few months, one of the best in the state not kidding it is unbelievable. Some things they have done so far to this course is a night and day difference. This is a must play you will not be disappointed but you will be punished if you hit in the rough, not forgiving and you will probably lose your ball,its a two cut rough which first cut not wide enough before the second cut this is my only complaint.

Fun Course

Fun course to play, mid-fast greens. Fairways are in great shape, a good value and will play again!

Response from Boone's Trace National Golf Club on 04/27/2018:
Hello, we're happy you enjoyed our fun course layout, great course conditions, and a good value. Thank you for playing Boone's Trace National Golf Club! #BTNGC

First Birdy

Played this course 3 times before, enjoyed the layout of the course. Made my first Birdy on the course on hole 15.

Play course early many people enjoy this course. Saw people waiting to tee off when I finished the 9th hole and the 18th.

Response from Boone's Trace National Golf Club on 04/26/2018:
Hello, we're happy you enjoyed our friendly staff and nice course layout. Thank you for playing Boone's Trace National Golf Club! #BTNGC

The bull

I like the course it is fairly fun to play And the course was in fairly good shape considering in had just been Aerated the week before I played this course last year and it was in awful shape was not pleased with it at all but it seems this year it is iin really good shape and the people are super nice Just wish the fairways were more level some are like standing on the side of a hill And the bunkers actually have sand in them unlike some of the courses in the area The course is worth the golf now prices but I would not pay their regular course price

Response from Boone's Trace National Golf Club on 04/27/2018:
Hello, we're happy you enjoyed our good course conditions and friendly staff. Thank you for playing Boone's Trace National Golf Club!

Spring Golf

The weather has been nasty this Spring but the course played well. The only complaint was the greens being sandy from the aeration....not a big problem as it’s a part of the game. Great course, staff was prompt and courteous.....we will play the course again!

Response from Boone's Trace National Golf Club on 04/05/2018: