Whirlwind Golf Club - The Devil's Claw Course
Devil's Claw is one of two golf courses at Whirlwind G.C., part of the Wild Horse Pass Resort and Casino on the Gila River Indian Reservation near Chandler. In addition to its views of four mountain ranges -- South Mountain, the Estrella Mountains, the San Tan Mountains and the Superstitions -- Devil's Claw overflows with Native American culture.
A round on the Devil's Claw at Whirlwind Golf Club begins on Greasy Mountain, a par-4 424-yarder that faces Muh-wah Ha-dahk - the Gila River Indian Community's name for South Mountain. Things get long on the fifth, Maricopa Journey, a par-5 593-yarder designed to memorialize the travels of the Pee-Posh (or Maricopa tribe) from the Colorado River to where the Gila and Salt rivers meet. Go home via Going Home, the 18th hole, a par 4 that measures 442 yards from the Black tees. As the Gila River Indian Community sings it, "Our songs are ending as you go your separate ways, take along with you the good songs that were sung here today, as within your hearts."
Don't go straight home: You can still fit in another song after golfing the Devil's Claw golf course at the Whirlwind Golf Club in the clubhouse, which features a fully stocked bar and plenty of plasma televisions for relaxing and catching up on other sports.
|Silver (W)||72||6034 yards||74.7||130|
|Copper (W)||72||5540 yards||71.6||126|
|Black M: 72.7/127||424||399||593||190||410||564||148||317||441||3486||407||444||222||361||172||507||425||551||442||3531||7017|
|Gold M: 70.4/123||392||366||566||159||376||535||148||289||411||3242||376||411||191||329||142||484||387||518||407||3245||6487|
|Silver M: 68.2/118 W: 74.7/130||367||342||549||140||348||511||126||268||393||3044||347||378||164||300||118||461||358||484||380||2990||6034|
|Copper M: 66.3/115 W: 71.6/126||335||316||530||123||314||480||95||242||346||2781||321||345||136||270||98||440||333||459||340||2742||5523|
Best of Lists
Golf Advisor: Best of Golf Advisor
Golf Advisor: Top 25 Friendliest Courses in the U.S.
Golf Advisor: Top 25 Off-course amenities in the U.S.
Golf Advisor: Top Courses in Arizona
course was in great shape. Had a great time playing. Staff was outstanding
First time experience
So the course is great and the staff are friendly. My biggest complaint is that the ranger at the start forced every group to play as a 4 some. I've been asked before if I was willing to play with a stranger when a course is busy and sometimes yes and sometimes no. But when I'm forced to take an extra person to a 3some, I'm gonna be displeased. If your course is overbooked that is your problem not mine. I should not be required to add to my teams just because your wanting to maximize your profit. So, unfortunately, even though the course was gorgeous and the staff friendly, I will probably not play here again. Your supply demand issues are yours not the players.
Fantastic desert course
First day that Devil’s Claw course was opened after overseeding & redoing the sand traps. The course, as anticipated, was in perfect condition. The sand traps had loose sand at least six inches deep in all of the bunkers. The only thing that I could find fault with was that their large putting green at the clubhouse was kind of burnt out and fast compared to the actual course greens that were lush and not tightly cut. Therefore it took a few holes to determine the actual speed of the greens.
Worth your time
Devil's Claw is a very challenging layout and plays quite long from the gold tees. Probably too difficult for a higher handicap player. Several of the par fours play uphill and long, and a fairway wood or hybrid will be needed, even for a better player. Par threes are very reasonable and shouldn't be a problem. Par fives are very enjoyable. This is a course that the player needs to think his or her way around, and can't be taken lightly. I would recommend it for a better player, but a short hitter will have a long day. This is a Troon Management course, and as such is well done.
Love This Course
I have reviewed this course and its sister course--Cattail--on prior occasions. The fairways, greens and amenities are all top notch even in the hottest days of summer in Arizona.
Wondering how your experience was with the bunkers and pro shop staff? I will be visiting the area in November and was hoping to play here but some recent reviews regarding sand and staff have put me off.
Is there a Management issue here?
8/11/2019 - All sand traps are being redone and are considered grounds under repair. Most of tee boxes and large sections of fairways and areas around the greens have been resodded and are not recovering well. But from booking to check-in to the send off from the starter, not a mention of the poor conditions (other troon courses have called me after a booking when greens were punched to let me know the course is not up to the typical quality standards-not so here)
Furthermore pace of play was the worst I've ever experienced, not because of slow play but rather management overloaded the course by stuffing 25 foursomes in front of our 6 AM group. Our round was 5 1/2 hours with 1 1/12 of that just in that last 3 holes! Management should have never sold these morning tee times if they were going to do this. While this could have been an Isolated miscalculation, the Members we were playing with indicated it has become more common lately.
I would recommend passing on this course until you see some turnaround in these reviews. I know I'll be taking my money elsewhere for now.
Always a great place to play
Whirlwind (Managed by Troon Golf), is typically always in very good to great condition. Yesterday was no exception, tee boxes, fairways and greens were in great shape. Will be back soon to play again.
Bunkers are deep, great course will be back a again
I have played here several times over the years, Course is always in good, to great shape. Just depends on the time of year and over seeding or aeration. This was one of those times but, it did not effect play or the beauty of the course.
Great condition! Staff and facilities are excellent!
Phoenix Top Ten List
I realize the title may be a bit high given all of the high quality golf courses in Phoenix. It may have been that stars aligned but what a great track. I enjoy courses with generous hitting areas and big, smooth greens. The course was in immaculate condition, so the rate was great for a course of this quality. I played with some fun people (Jim, Lexi and Emily) that made it even more enjoyable. Supposedly the rates are really good in the summer and the conditions stay solid, so I am going back for sure. My only critique is that I sensed the golf shop staff may have a bit of a tude., which unfortunately happens at high echelon courses. That's only a few minutes of the experience, so don't let it stop you.
The combination of fairways, greens, and weather made this for the absolute best condition I have ever seen at Devil’s Claw. There was a large tournament in the a.m. of the day I played, yet there was virtually no divots in the fairway, which is a tribute to the quality of golfers as well as the quality of the course.
Excellent salad for lunch and just an overall impressive day at Whirlwind Golf Club
What a nice place to play. Top notch facilities and staff was great. Fairways were an appropriate width and bunkers were well placed.
Marvelous day of golf
A layout that presents unique shots and strategy on every hole. Course is in great shape with the exception of the bunkers which are now mostly missing sand. Lost a couple of shots when my wedge hit the sand perfectly 2" behind the ball and bounced off of the hard surface a skulled the ball over the center field fence. Other than the traps, exceptional across the board.
Super friendly and helpful staff outdoors, inside the pro shop a bit aloof and standoffish. we'll write this off to "they are just shy".
If you are like me and don't hit every fairway, bring extra balls as finding your ball in that desert is not going to happen very often.
Lunch afterward was exceptional with a great staff and excellent food.
Great experience all around
Been golfing monthly in the Phoenix area and Whirlwind has become a favorite. Excellent conditions, a fair challenge, and very good bang for the buck. Played an afternoon round and finished in under 4 hours. Easy access to airport yet you feel like you're in a quiet, remote area.
I found the course to be in outstanding condition. The greens were fast and consistent. I liked the layout,and it was challenging, with it's fairway bunkers in play on most holes, which influenced club selection of the tees on short par 4's. I will play this course again next time I am in the Phoenix area.
Fun round, somewhat slow for a weekday, conditions nice but not great.
1. The course is well over seeded except for around the bunkers. That area was left bare and considering almost every hole has a fairway bunker the rye should have been seeded up to the bunkers, not 3-4 feet from the bunkers. The greens were well cared for and I liked the annoying cart warning on every hole to repair your ball marks. Averge to below average golfers care little about repair and it seemed that the constant reminder was doing a fairly effective job. The greens were not overly difficult but many were tiered so you need to be somewhat accurate from the fairway. The fairways are fairly tightly mowed but the roungh is too short (3/4 inch at most). You could miss the fairway and still can add a lot of spin to your shot. You would never get a flier lie. The worst part were the bunkers. Many had the liners showing and everyone we tried or hit out of (including at the driving range} were densly packed. They needed sand and a good firm racking which they apparently never receive. Had the bunkers been better the conditions rating would have received 5 stars.
2. The driving range is mediocre. This day the boxes were up and since the driving range has a crest every shot over about 155 yards were landing blind. The longest flag was 152 yards per my laser. Even if the boxes were back you would never have the ability to hit a fairway wood or 3-5 irons at a flag or see it land.
4. The chipping areas and putting greens were great and well cared for except for the bunkers. Overall except for the driving range the short game practice areas are top notch.
5. For a desert course there are a decent amount of rolling fairways and topography changes to make the course fun and interesting. The width of each hole makes for a somewhat forgiving course. Also do not expect views. The course is lined entire on two sides with high-line electrical wires. Everywhere you look you see them blocking the mountain range, or you see a building or the main entrance road and highway.
6. Most of the courses and clubs my wife and I play worry about details and top notch customer service. Everyone here was generally nice but the proshop lacked any sort of helpful attitude. The entire time noone at the counter would even look at me directly while speaking. It was if they just wanted us to leave. The locker rooms have no lockers and nothing other than soap. In a desert area even hand lotion would by nice as your hands are cracked at the end of a round. I could go on about the lack of attention to detail, but in today's public course world it's like visiting McDonald's and every once in a while you find one nice where everyone cares about their job and the customer. The majority however do not.
Loved the course. Great layout and in great condition throughout. Played as a twosome in 3 hrs 15 mins. Super cart girl, very fast around course. Played with a member who gave some great advice along the way. Was my birthday so my wife wanted to ride along, course had no issues if we started early. Other courses turned me away because of needed carts. :(
GUY WORKING CLUB DROPOFF AT 0700 WAS RUDE, maybe hadnt had coffee yet.
All else was fantastic!
The facility is immaculate, the conditions are fantastic. The layout is easy'ish and fun to play. Come early and enjoy their amazing practice facility. Highly recommend playing here.
Love the course layout...cattails is a bit more challenging but both courses are phenomenal. Course is always in great condition when I play and the staff takes care of you. Worth the money!!!