Lake Presidential Golf Club

Lake Presidential Golf Club is one of Maryland's most popular public courses. It is a challenging championship layout that is player friendly enough to accommodate a wide range of skill levels. It stands out from run-of-the-mill municipal courses with exceptional conditions from the tees to the greens. The layout offers a diverse mix of holes that will have golfers using every club in their bag. There are some especially interesting par 3s that are visible but with enough hazards to make them a challenge. Houses border the front nine holes but they are absent on the back nine. The fairways on the last nine holes are densely lined with mature trees. The golf course finishes with an enjoyable par 5 that plays over a lake. It can be reached in two with a little skill and accuracy.
Lake Presidential Golf Club
The Tips 72 7230 yards 74.4 141
Scorecard for Lake Presidential Golf Club
Black M: 74.3/137 420 390 545 180 455 435 445 570 200 3640 395 380 160 590 415 420 190 355 515 3420 7060
Blue M: 72.0/131 380 365 515 145 430 410 415 550 165 3375 355 370 150 565 395 390 175 335 495 3230 6605
White M: 68.3/126 W: 73.4/130 330 310 480 130 410 380 380 530 150 3100 320 330 135 515 345 350 160 285 470 2910 6010
Red M: 66.7/123 W: 69.6/125 280 260 400 100 310 295 330 445 120 2540 250 275 110 400 295 310 145 200 320 2305 4845

Year Built 2008

Golf Simulator Yes

Excellent Golf Day

Course is in good shape! Tee boxes and sand traps need more work! Awesome it was NOT cartpath only after heavy rain night before round !

First time playing Lake Presidential and I honestly left feeling a little confused about how much I enjoyed the round.

On one hand, the greens were extremely slow, bumpy, sandy ect. They had obviously been punched in the recent weeks which was fine. The problem was how inconsistent they were cut. Very tall and shaggy in some spots and thin and firm in others. The cups were very poorly cut for such a premium course. Made for a very frustrating round rolling putts.

The fairways were excellent shape, zero complaints there other than hoping people would do a better job repairing divots.

The other real issue outside of the greens was that the course was cart path only "due to the heat". It's obviously the courses discretion, and credit them for keeping the fairways in good shape but this made the round extremely unpleasant as most of the cart paths are elevated a good bit off of the fairways. On a hot day, treking up and down steep hills before and after every shot took alot of enjoyment out of playing the course.

The layout is fantastic. Very fair, but challenging. Course knowledge would be of great help.

I'd like to go back in the fall and play the course in its prime condition, which is what it looks like the grounds crew is already prepping for. My fear is, once it is in good condition it'll be priced well north of comparable courses in the MD/NOVA area. I'd try it again, but would have to make sure it wasn't cart path only before my arrival.

Nice course - would play again

I played on a Wednesday afternoon and finished in 4 hours and change. The course was in pretty good condition but a few tee boxes were beat up. The layout is challenging and the greens are tough. Will definitely play again.

Commented On 08/16/2018

Thank you for coming out to play. We appreciate that very much. You are correct, seven of our tee grounds are being changed from Bermuda grass to Bent. That will commence once Aeration of the greens is completed. That process begins on Monday the 20th. We look forward to having you out again.

Great experience as a first timer

Course was an excellent shape, staff was friendly, but pace of play was a tad long finishing in 4.5 hours. I will definitely be back!

Commented On 07/31/2018

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate the note on service as we are very focused on the total guest experience. Our actual Pace of Play clocks are set for 4:45. With the difficulty of the course, hilly terrain, and cart path only holes, it is very difficult to play faster than this. I'm glad you were able to play in 4.5 hours. That's a solid 15 minutes ahead of pace. Great job to you!

Vast improvement in conditions of course since I last played, but it was extremely wet and soggy (this was before the recent rains.) As a result, large divots littered the fairways which were not replaced. Also, lots of unrepaired ball marks on the greens. Getting better but need to encourage golfers to take better care of the course.

Commented On 07/25/2018

Thank you for the feedback. Yes, you would have experienced some "soggy" areas as we had been hand watering for the last three weeks during the drought. It is required to keep the grass healthy. You wll notice we rarely ran sprinklers and only watered areas where the ground is still significantly compacted. Yes, sometimes that water runs off and creates areas that are more wet than we need. It is amazing to your point how many golfers do not respect any facility and don't repair their divots and ball marks. Even high-end private clubs have the same issue. Frustrating for sure for all of us.

Awesome layout/greens!

This course is an awesome challenge when it’s in great shape. The greens were rolling awesome even though the fairways were a bit saturated. I love the layout and really enjoy this course when the condition matches the mystique. They lost it last year but it’s a lot closer to being a course I will add back to my must play list!

Commented On 07/19/2018

Thanks for the comment. As you can see by the numerous recent feedback submissions, we have worked hard to re-establish this facility. It is playing wonderfully right now. We will continue to hand water all dry and severely compacted areas to ensure proper turf conditions. I'm sure you noticed that we just don't blindly use the sprinklers and are only addressing required areas.

after 2 years of terrible condition this course is in great shape. I have played in Myrtle Beach on golf trips for 30 years and this course is very comparable to many courses there in regards to conditions. Kudos!!!

Commented On 07/23/2018

Thank you for the nice compliment. We appreciate you noticing the hard work we have put into this property. Now, think of the money you will save by playing here and not having to travel all the way to Myrtle Beach for a nice golf course. See you soon! :)

Lake Presidential Course Review

The people were very friendly. The course was not in good shape. Most disappointing was the fact that as hot as it was, they would not turn the fans on to cool things down. Asked a couple of times. It could have made for much better conditions out there. However, again the course was not in great blessings and good shape to play.

1t2golfinva
Commented On 07/08/2018

Golfnow, this review should be removed. I just played the course on 7/7 and it was in great shape.

u521591206
Commented On 07/05/2018

This is hilarious. The fans around the greens aren't there to cool people off. Unreal.

Commented On 07/04/2018

Interesting comment. I have to disagree as Lake Presidential is in outstanding shape. The fans are solely to move air across the greens which we do not need right now, so they won't be on. As you can see by the many recent comments, this course is in spectacular shape.

Wow! What a Difference 2 Years Makes...

Haven't played Lake Presidential in 2 years because the course conditions were horrid. Wow! What a turnaround. I read the previous reviews and decided to try it again...I am so glad I did. This course is 200% better than it was 2 years ago. The fairways are green and on the verge of being categorized as lush! The bunkers had new, fine sand in them and recently smoothed. And, the greens were absolutely perfect...and quick! I was in awe of the conditions--the front nine was perfect, and the back nine was 90% there. The maintenance staff were out all over the course watering greens and fairways...and made sure they stayed out of the way. The other staff (starter, pro shop and restaurant) were great, and very much into the customer experience. I can't get over what excellent condition the course is in! We played in under 4 hours and never saw a soul in front or behind us...we had the course all to ourselves, it seemed. I will definitely be back, and I will definitely spread the word that Lake Presidential is back! The Superintendent has done an excellent job, and I applaud the owner for dumping some money into this course. It's a great layout (although I hate #15), and somewhat challenging.

Commented On 06/30/2018

Thank you for the nice comments. We are working hard to make Lake Presidential a spectacular golfing experience. We will keep our 12 minute Tee Time intervals, this is what aided you in feeling as though you were not rushed or having to wait. We will keep working hard here at the property if you keep returning to play.

Thanks again.

Great experience

Course was in great shape. I played here a couple of years ago and the place was a wreck. Thought they would close due to memberships falling. Not sure what happened but there is a huge turn around from what this course was at a time. Everything was great, and I expect rates and membership to increase soon once people find out how great this course is again.

Compliments to the staff, the course, management, greenskeepers, etc.

Commented On 06/30/2018

Thank you for the nice compliments. Yes, we have been working hard to restore Lake Presidential to the conditions it deserves. Great idea about raising rates! We will keep them here for a while yet and continue to offer what we feel is the best valued golf experience in the DMV. Come back soon!

Lake Presidential Golf Course

The course is in great condition, except for a couple of tee boxes. But those were mostly from people not filling in their divots. Fairways and greens are in excellent condition. The greens roll true and at a fast pace. Would have given an excellent rating, but some people just don't know how to leave a course in the condition that they found it. They make it difficult for course maintenance personnel to keep up with fixing problems left behind.

Commented On 06/11/2018

Good morning. Thank you for the nice comment. You are correct about many golfers don't take the time to replace their divots or repair their ball marks. This is a problem throughout the industry. We always ask that people respect the game, the course, and maintain the integrity of the game. At the end of the day, it comes down to the golfer and their personal choices of enjoying this gentlemen's game in the spirit in which it was designed. Food for thought for all of us to do better. Thanks for writing in.

Beautiful, challenging course.

Playing weather was warm and humid. Wind was light and variable. Area has had a lot of rain and the fairways and greens were in great shape. Rough was thick and it was advisable to avoid it. Only three holes were “cart path only” but my partner and I got good exercise nevertheless. We have played the course a good number of times and we knew most of the trouble spots, however we didn’t always avoid them. But both my partner and I shot low personal rounds for this course and thus enjoyed our round immensely.

Commented On 06/04/2018

This is about a perfect review. You knew what to avoid and did your best to do so, but still had an awesome time. Thanks so much and we are glad you had an enjoyable time. We are excited to have you back again and again until you get it exactly right. :)

Thanks much!

Wow.. its back

Having heard the fairways were lost last year, This is first time in 2 years I have played it. The greens were in great shape. Fairways also.. except #7 which was aerated. The rough is tough. The grass around the bunkers does not allow balls to roll to bottom which gives the course some teeth. Will be back again. We made a friend on 18 fairway.

Commented On 05/31/2018

Thanks for the nice review. You are correct about the rough. We had a major breakdown with two rough mowers. We feel behind while getting them repaired. We are almost caught up except for the faces of the bunkers. We are also about to invest several thousand dollars in possibly two new rough mowers to continue to propel this course forward with our conditions. We look forward to having you back.

Significant improvement but not out of the woods yet

I kept hearing about the big turn-around at Lake Presidential, so I had to give it one more shot. I had such a different experience that I had to write another review. The course conditions are night and day versus when I played there two years or so ago. Most greens and fairways were immaculate. There were still a few tee boxes that needed some work, some of the rough looked like it hadn’t been mowed for a while (maybe because of the rain) and there were some bare spots on a couple of greens, but overall everything was lush and green. They had also aerated the fairway on 7 and left the plugs of mostly clay still sitting on the fairway, so I spent the next 5 holes getting the clay out of my spikes. But the layout of the course has always been one of the best in the DMV and it’s so nice to see the conditions finally matching it. I played on a misty morning and the course still played great, even though it was very saturated. I didn’t see another soul on the course until the 17th, so the pace was perfect. I then spent a number of hours working in the restaurant and enjoyed a great turkey wrap and an endless glass of Pepsi, thanks to the very attentive service from the ladies there. Overall, if you’ve sworn off LP because of the conditions, I recommend you give them another chance. I’ll certainly be back.

Commented On 05/21/2018

Thank you for the nice review. We appreciate it. You are correct about the rough. Due to the rain and a broken part and delayed delivery, the rough is much higher than we like. It is being rectified this week as we are in the process of purchasing a new rough mower to improve the quality of rough mowing. The Aerification of the 7th fairway was also delayed due to the excess rain. We are continuing to improve daily and doing all the required maintenance and then some. Hope to see back soon and often.

Great course at any cost

I played the course two years ago and it was in complete disrepair.

It is shocking, if I didn’t know better I would have no idea I played there before. It has great distance challenging greens, and very unique experience hole to hole. I strongly recommend playing if possible,

Commented On 05/14/2018

We could not agree with you more. The course was very poorly maintained prior to the Billy Casper Group taking over. Over the last 18 months we have worked hard to restore this property to the destination facility it once was. Service, Food, and Course conditions have all been massively improved. Thank you very much for noticing.

Pleasantly Surprised

I know I graded most things as excellent but that is how it was especially bearing in mind the weather in the past months.

I looked at the Club website and it indicated that the fees had been discounted due to the course conditions. However, I decided to play and I'm certainly glad I did.

The course conditions were excellent both on the fairway and the first cut and the greens ran true at a reading of about 8 to 9. Not one green had unrepaired pitch marks and the green staff were working on tee maintenance while I was there. The tees I played from looked in pristine condition. The Staff stopped working and stood back when we teed off. Maybe they had been warned about my errant tee shots!

Only two holes were cart path only and the remainder were 90 degree cart access.

The Course Superintendent and his Staff have done an amazing turn around of this course compared with the reports I have read from previous years.

All Staff from the Caddy Master to the Pro Shop Staff to the Course Staff were very friendly, informative and welcoming.

The driving range has grass tees and is easily accessed.

Our round was 3 hours 35 minutes.

All in all a very enjoyable experience.

The only downside and nothing to do with the Golf Club is don't reply on your GPS to take you the last mile if you are coming from DC. It may try to take you through the housing estate and roads are blocked off as it is still being built. Go up to Beech Tree Parkway.

Commented On 05/03/2018

Great review and we appreciate the numerous kind remarks. Yes, we are working hard on everything you indicated and the course is continuing to improve every day. With a little more warm weather, we should be spectacular in no time.

Making a comeback

Lake Presidential is a great layout, but had fallen into such bad shape that I was reluctant to go back until I read some recent reviews. The fairways are starting to fill back in and the green are no longer filled with non-repaired ball marks. The course had taken on a lot of rain the day before so the bunkers were washed out, but there were plenty of rakes to make the necessary adjustments. Give the superintendent some more time and some decent weather and this place will be back in great shape.

Commented On 05/02/2018

Thank you for coming out to play. We appreciate your comments. Now that we finally have some warmer weather, watch how much more we improve! On non-rain days, our golf cart restrictions are lifted. See you soon for more rolling golf. :)

Course in good shape for recent weather conditions. Greens in good shape. Great course layout

Commented On 05/02/2018

Thank you for coming out to play. We appreciate. Now that we finally have some warmer weather, watch how much more we improve! See you soon for more golf. :)

Great local course

Greens and fairways are coming along very well from a year ago. The greens were rolled very well. Didn't really noticed that they were airated. Always a challenging and fun course to play.

Commented On 04/16/2018

Thank you for the nice comments. Yes, the greens are in awesome shape. We actually aerated greens on 3/27-3/29. That's why you didn't notice. they have healed wonderfully.

Upper Marlboro, Maryland