Lake Presidential Golf Club

Indoor practice facilities: Yes
Simulator: Yes

The Tips 72 7230 yards 74.4 141

Lake Presidential Golf Club is one of Maryland's most popular public courses. It is a challenging championship layout that is player friendly enough to accommodate a wide range of skill levels. It stands out from run-of-the-mill municipal courses with exceptional conditions from the tees to the greens. The layout offers a diverse mix of holes that will have golfers using every club in their bag. There are some especially interesting par 3s that are visible but with enough hazards to make them a challenge. Houses border the front nine holes but they are absent on the back nine. The fairways on the last nine holes are densely lined with mature trees. The golf course finishes with an enjoyable par 5 that plays over a lake. It can be reached in two with a little skill and accuracy.

Location is in the 'burbs worth the drive convenient to the city   Great for advanced golfers locals wildlife/ scenic views   Challenges include elevation changes water hazards forced carries   Great for drinks 19th hole scenic views patio dining

"Great local course"

mgaddy's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/12/2018

Greens and fairways are coming along very well from a year ago. The greens were rolled very well. Didn't really noticed that they were airated. Always a challenging and fun course to play.

Commented on 04/16/2018

Thank you for the nice comments. Yes, the greens are in awesome shape. We actually aerated greens on 3/27-3/29. That's why you didn't notice. they have healed wonderfully.

"Excited about this course’s future"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/01/2018

Got out this morning at 830 and flew around the course in 3.5 hours. I had heard the whole story of this course from my buddy who said it was his favorite layout in the DMV but conditions had suffered in recent years. After getting it today I was absolutely blown away by the course layout and very much appreciate all the work they’ve put into the course.

Everything was recently punched but the greens still ran pretty well with a light top dressing. Rough was healthy. Fairways were very green despite it being April 1st. When it comes to the layout, the course architect utilized the water exceptionally well and had a bit of a Quail Hollow feel of course on a bit smaller scale. From the tips the course was very challenging and demanded very good ball striking.

I’ll definitely be back for another round later this year. Kudos to the grounds crew and staff for their work on getting this course back to its old status.

Commented on 04/16/2018

Thanks for the excellent feedback. We appreciate and are doing everything possible to make this the course to play in the DMV. If people haven't played in a while, they will be very pleased at the new results.

"Disappointed"

Johnschwe's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/29/2018

The cart man warned me that a few of the holes in the back nine had just been aerated. Well, I have never seen so much sand on every green. Other than that - we had a good experience. I would come back. But not for a few months

Commented on 04/16/2018

The course is in great shape and you actually played right in the middle of the green aeration process. A healthy amount of sand is required to properly top dress the greens and provide a consistent surface. Sounds like you played a couple of holes while we were still dragging the sand in. Greens and overall conditions are excellent and we invite you to see for yourself. Thanks

"The Lake is coming back strong!!!!"

DXGolf's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/03/2017
Previously played Used cart Windy weather

I have been playing Lake Presidential for several years before the course conditions deteriorated and when the course conditions were at its worse, but I can tell you that ever since they brought in the new Superintendent I have been in awe of the resurgence of the course! The course is very close to the luster it had during the "glory days" of Lake Presidential. Nice roll on the fairways and the greens were fairly smooth.

The layout of LP is second to none and is consistently one of the most challenging and fair courses I have played thus far. I look forward to how amazing this course is going to look by the time the 2018 season rolls around. I thoroughly enjoyed my round.

Commented on 11/21/2017

Thank you for the nice review and we so very much appreciate you recognizing how hard we are all working to restore this property to its "glory" as you suggest. Thank you for coming out to play and we look forward to having you here many more times in 2018!

"Cart path only"

Tom5622616's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/18/2017

Nice course, they are finally getting some grass back after a bad couple of years.

You do a lot of walking because it is cart path only and has been for at least a year.

Pace of play is slowed because of the cart path only rule.want play there again until they let use the carts they way they are suppose to be used. I know there trying to protect there course. But make for along day when you are basically driving and walking to you ball ever play.

Commented on 10/26/2017

Thank you for the comment. Yes, we are working hard to restore this facility and the carts on the paths is an integral part of the process. The fairways are coming along fabulously and we are scheduled to be off the path in April 2018. Until then, its a short walk to your ball and a little exercise is good for all of us.

"Way To Go Lake Prez"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/25/2017

This course has gone through some tough times last year with conditions. But the place is looking really good now. It's a very nice course and tough. My only beef (albeit small) was that they're cart-path only for the year. But that's a small price to pay to ensure the grass is back for good. Let's hope carts can go into the fairways next season.

Commented on 09/28/2017

Thank you for the positive comments. We do appreciate and are happy to see you noticing all the improvements and efforts we are making to recreate the awesome course we all want. Yes, the cart path only is a slight distraction, but it is required to prepare the turf properly again after so many years of neglect. In the meantime, a little walking is very good for all of us. Thanks again.

"Pretty to look at but hard to play!"

Dan703's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/23/2017

Beautiful course, some of the most picturesque golf holes in the area! Conditions have greatly improved over the last 12 months. If you don't have a single digit handicap do yourself a favor and play from the white tees. The only drawback was having to keep the carts on the cart path for the entire round. Very professional and courteous staff, from the pro shop to the snack bar. I plan on playing there again before the season is over.

Commented on 09/27/2017

Thank you for the nice comments. We too love the layout here and there are some fabulous vistas along the way. You are right about difficulty and cart path. The latter is required as we continue to restore the fairways. For the difficulty factor, we agree completely, play from the White Tee. The point is to enjoy yourself and this will make it much more fun for us average golfers. Hope to see you soon!

"Lake Presidential is Almost Back"

denhoban1's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/23/2017
Previously played Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

I'm a resident of Beechtree who saw and experienced the deterioration of the course last year. It was heartbreaking. I'm am very happy to say that the new guys have done a tremendous job in bringing her back. There is still work to be done in the rough and the bunkers, but greens and fairways are very good thanks to the cart path only rule this year. Probably won't be until next Spring for an average duffer to enjoy the experience, but this course is roaring back. Kudos to the staff, who have combined their expertise with the kind of service and empathy you need when recovering from near disaster.

Commented on 09/27/2017

Thank you very much for the great comments and for recognizing how hard we have been and will continue to work, to bring this course back to the conditions we all deserve and desire. Myself and the team appreciate your support and patience in this endeavor.

"Beautiful, tough course."

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/20/2017

I enjoy a challenge and this one is it for me. The day was hit and humid and more drinking water would have been great.

Commented on 09/22/2017

Thank you for commenting on the course. We appreciate it.

Interesting you talk about drinking water, but we do have water stations on every third hole (6 in total) throughout the golf course. We also run the Bev Carts all day. Not sure if you used the water stations, but they are there and are iced and refilled daily with fresh water.

"Still not good"

Mraiders12's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/05/2017

We played there on a Tuesday. I got 8 tee times on golf now, there was no warning on Golf Now that anything was amiss. I found out when we got there that the entire front nine was shut down and we had to play the back twice. Usually Golf Now gives you a warning of some sort and normally there is a discount because of it.

Also the course has commercials running on TV which they say that they are back to being in great shape again. The course is not in great shape, at least not compared to golf courses in the same area. The greens were fast and putted true when you were not in the patchy parts. Maybe in a bit it will be back but as of now no way.

Our group will not be wasting our money on this course for awhile, too many other better courses out there.

Commented on 09/09/2017

I'm sorry you didn't see the notifications on Golf Now. They are posted everywhere for Aerification. Our own website and counter team informs everyone prior to their tee time. This course is playing wonderfully when you keep it in the fairway and on the green. And as you say, the greens are in fabulous shape and will be healed from Aerification in no time. We have dozens of members here who all think the conditions here rival any course in the area as they have played them all and still choose Lake Presidential for service, quality of the course, and continuing condition improvement.

playyoung's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/04/2017
Previously played Walked Hot weather Verified Purchaser

We're group of 8 persons played on Labor day. entire course was cart path only. One person was 85years old and one lady was a handy cap person. Both of need a handy cap flag in order to play the 18 holes golf. But they didn't gave to them. Main problem was the marshal told them after finish 9 holes they 're 25 minutes behind playing time and they're off from the car path , they're only less than few feet off from the car path. Also we're right behind of them, we didn't have to wait hardly any holes at all. They're so BAD!!!

Commented on 09/06/2017

I'm sorry to read this review. Especially when we went out of our way to accommodate your group a second time. Its unfortunate you rate us as "so bad" when your group was in fact holding everyone behind you up. You were both in fact 25 minutes behind Pace of Play guidelines. The Pace of Play guidelines are set specifically for Cart Path Only guidelines" and the timing is more than generous to play the course in this fashion. The ladies did drive off the cart path numerous times and were gently reminded to stay on the path. You also were informed far in advance of the "Cart Path Only rules" before you made your tee time. They were the same as when your group played your outing the month prior. If you are going to rate us poorly, then please be factual with your responses. We appreciate the criticism and are working hard to improve the facility, but please provide other golfers with the appropriate feedback. Thank you.

"Challenging course"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/22/2017

Very picturesque and VERY challenging. Good shots are rewarded and mistakes are costly. Has become my favorite course in the area.

Commented on 08/24/2017

Thank you very much for the nice comments. We greatly appreciate you recognizing how hard we are working to restore this awesome facility.

Thanks again, and we look forward to having you back very soon.

"Course is getting there"

garyh60670's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/08/2017

The course was in horrible shape 3 or 4 months ago. However, they have done a tremendous job of getting the course back in shape. It does take a long time to play because of the cart path only rule and the paths are a good distance from some of the fairways plus you are constantly going up and down hills getting to and from carts. The other suggestion I would have is to have more yardage markers or poles on the course. They are few and far between.

I would recommend that people give it a go. Challenging.

Commented on 08/14/2017

Thank you for the nice comments. We are actually w0rking on an improved yardage marking process as you speak. In the meantime, we do have an excellent GPS program on our App. Download Lake Presidential on your smart phone. Thanks again for the positive comments and recognizing how hard we are working to restore the course.

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/06/2017

Commented on 08/08/2017

Interesting comment. Its unfortunate you don't make note of our extra Marshaling and new Pace of Play clocks to keep you on pace. Set at 4:45 even with Cart Path Only guidelines, it is disappointing to hear that you couldn't keep up with the Pace when most golfers that play ready golf are finishing way ahead of projections.

"Beautiful, tough course."

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/26/2017

I am a 73 yr old with a 20 handicap. I am in good physical condition for my age. I have played this course a half dozen times and It is my favorite in the area. It is "cart path only" and is a serious test for the golfer. Most holes will challenge you and make you think. Highly recommended.

Commented on 07/27/2017

Thank you for the nice comments. We very much appreciate it. We also want to thank you for supporting our Cart Path Only plan as we restore the course. As you probably noticed, the fairways are responding very well and the greens are rolling wonderfully. Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you here again very soon.

"Nice Course"

johnleishear's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/16/2017
First time playing Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

Course was in good shape considering the heat and lack of rain in July. Greens are true and fun to putt. Difficult course for anyone with a handicap of 15 or higher. Would play again but only if I got a discount.

Commented on 08/04/2017

Thank you for the nice comments. We appreciate it and glad you recognized the extreme efforts we are putting forth to restore the facility. As a note, our Rack Rate is $95 and you did get a significant discount even if you played Prime Time on the 16th. The most you would have paid is $65. That's a discount of $30 off the rack rate.

"Improving a once premiere course"

brewcrew61's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/16/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather

My buddies and I decided to play a round at Lake Presidential on Sunday, July 16th. We showed up and were greeted by staff members and paid our green fees. We were told that it was cart path only and I was ok with that knowing that they are trying to bring the course back to its pristine condition that it once was. We paid $63 for our fees on a Sunday, which is not bad at all. The course is not back to where it needs to be, but it isn't far from it. There are a few dead spots here and there, but nothing like it was last summer. I was the one in our group that was hesitant about playing here, as there are a lot of options around us in the Annapolis/Baltimore area. I am happy that I played here. The only concern is the pace of play. It took us almost 6 hours to play. There were marshals all over the course and I told them that the group in from of us (twosome) wouldn't let us play through. They were hitting multiple shots from the tee box and not playing ready golf. We had a threesome and were right on their heels all of the way. Other than that, no gripes. Glad to see the investment and commitment to the course. Lake Presidential needs to live up the the hype it once had.

Commented on 07/18/2017

Thank you for the response. Like I said, pace of play was my only gripe about the round. There was nobody behind us. We started at 1025 and finished right around 4pm. It would take us nearly 15 minutes on the tee box on the back nine to tee off due to the group in front of us. Be sure to know that I was tracking this due to the fact that I had to leave after the round to go get my daughter. 12 minute intervals or not, there was no way the group in front of us was playing the way they should've. Multiple tee shots, spending too long to search for their multiple tee shots and just not playing ready golf.

Commented on 07/18/2017

Thanks for the nice comments about the course. We appreciate that you recognize how hard we are working to correct the conditions here.

Not sure about the Pace of Play though. We have never had a 6-hour round. I will investigate for sure. We do calculate about a 5 hour round based on the difficulty of the course. This is why we space our Tee Times at 12 minutes to ensure proper distance between groups. If someone plays faster/slower than that, it can clog the course. We are aiming for a relaxed and unstressed round. Thank you again for coming out. We do appreciate it and hope to see you here again soon.

SJ

"Terrible!!!!"

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/15/2017

The course is in bad shape. The greens were awful and the couse was cart path only. This course is not designed to be cart path only. It was a painful 6+ hour round.

Commented on 08/01/2017

I'm sorry to hear that you think the course is in terrible condition. In fact, this facility is nearly 90% regrown in from just the fall of 2017. See the before and after photos on our website and facebook. www.lakepresidential.com Additionally, the greens are cut and rolled to an excellent 9.5 consistency. Plenty fast for the average to above average golfer considering our undulations. People and members playing here regularly recognize the extreme work put in to make this a top course again. BTW..We have never had a 6-hour round. In reviewing tracking for the day you played, the slowest round of the 5:05. Its unfortunate that reviewers feel the need to over-exaggerate and dispel all the hard work many are putting into this course to make it awesome again. All courses are designed to walk. Carts are merely a convenience. A little walking will do us all good.

willie1949's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/03/2017
First time playing Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

"Cart Path only, Joke!"

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/03/2017

Booked a Tee time through Golf Now with a cart, did not expect there to be "Cart Path Only" . I understand that they are in the process of fixing their course after what happened but it is not designed as a cart path only course. Much of the path is well off the fairway and do to the construction of some of the holes you will be walking up or down a hill to the fairway. Many times my friend and myself walking the holes carrying multiple clubs so we wouldn't have to back track to the cart over and over again.

We wouldn't have minded if we knew that it was cart path only because we would have seen if we could walk instead, which would have been more convenient. The Tee Boxes, in great shape compared to the rest of course. Fairways were either too wet, dried out, or dirt/black soil. The greens played extremely fast and challenging, though so parts didn't seem close to being alive. The course is challenging and leaves you with some wonderful scenic views on some of the holes.

Unfortunately we probably won't be back until the course is drastically improved or they at least consider a 90° rule. The cart path only caused there to be a crawling pace of play and without a marshall it speed up play. I would recommend this unless you find a deal under $20.

Commented on 07/05/2017

I'm sorry to hear that you think the Pace of Play was slow. You did play on one of the busiest days of the year and we track every round. The worst time was 5:03 for Monday the 3rd. Very respectable for a course of this difficulty, day of play and Cart Path Only. Additionally, we post everywhere that we are Cart Path Only. It is even on the Golf Now site as you booked your tee time. I'm sorry you did not notice it, but we have let everyone know up front. The course is progressing very well. In fact, this facility is nearly 80% regrown in from just the fall of 2017. See the before and after photos on our website and facebook. www.lakepresidential.com The fairways are actually in nice shape and very playable as you said, specifically because we have prevented the carts from driving on to the fairways. Even one cart right now would damage and undo all the work we have done to restore this. Now imagine 160 golfers a day driving all over it. We will be Cart Path Only for quite some time. Come play, the little bit of walking is good for all of us.