Lake Presidential Golf Club

Indoor practice facilities: Yes
Simulator: Yes

The Tips 72 7230 yards 74.4 141

Lake Presidential Golf Club is one of Maryland's most popular public courses. It is a challenging championship layout that is player friendly enough to accommodate a wide range of skill levels. It stands out from run-of-the-mill municipal courses with exceptional conditions from the tees to the greens. The layout offers a diverse mix of holes that will have golfers using every club in their bag. There are some especially interesting par 3s that are visible but with enough hazards to make them a challenge. Houses border the front nine holes but they are absent on the back nine. The fairways on the last nine holes are densely lined with mature trees. The golf course finishes with an enjoyable par 5 that plays over a lake. It can be reached in two with a little skill and accuracy.

Location is in the 'burbs worth the drive convenient to the city   Great for advanced golfers locals wildlife/ scenic views   Challenges include elevation changes water hazards forced carries   Great for drinks 19th hole scenic views patio dining

"Lake Presidential Golf Course"

lmccain56's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/07/2018

The course is in great condition, except for a couple of tee boxes. But those were mostly from people not filling in their divots. Fairways and greens are in excellent condition. The greens roll true and at a fast pace. Would have given an excellent rating, but some people just don't know how to leave a course in the condition that they found it. They make it difficult for course maintenance personnel to keep up with fixing problems left behind.

Commented on 06/11/2018

Good morning. Thank you for the nice comment. You are correct about many golfers don't take the time to replace their divots or repair their ball marks. This is a problem throughout the industry. We always ask that people respect the game, the course, and maintain the integrity of the game. At the end of the day, it comes down to the golfer and their personal choices of enjoying this gentlemen's game in the spirit in which it was designed. Food for thought for all of us to do better. Thanks for writing in.

"Beautiful, challenging course."

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/31/2018

Playing weather was warm and humid. Wind was light and variable. Area has had a lot of rain and the fairways and greens were in great shape. Rough was thick and it was advisable to avoid it. Only three holes were “cart path only” but my partner and I got good exercise nevertheless. We have played the course a good number of times and we knew most of the trouble spots, however we didn’t always avoid them. But both my partner and I shot low personal rounds for this course and thus enjoyed our round immensely.

Commented on 06/04/2018

This is about a perfect review. You knew what to avoid and did your best to do so, but still had an awesome time. Thanks so much and we are glad you had an enjoyable time. We are excited to have you back again and again until you get it exactly right. :)

Thanks much!

"Wow.. its back"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/29/2018
Previously played Used cart Hot weather

Having heard the fairways were lost last year, This is first time in 2 years I have played it. The greens were in great shape. Fairways also.. except #7 which was aerated. The rough is tough. The grass around the bunkers does not allow balls to roll to bottom which gives the course some teeth. Will be back again. We made a friend on 18 fairway.

Commented on 05/31/2018

Thanks for the nice review. You are correct about the rough. We had a major breakdown with two rough mowers. We feel behind while getting them repaired. We are almost caught up except for the faces of the bunkers. We are also about to invest several thousand dollars in possibly two new rough mowers to continue to propel this course forward with our conditions. We look forward to having you back.

"Significant improvement but not out of the woods yet"

ncarhess's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/16/2018

I kept hearing about the big turn-around at Lake Presidential, so I had to give it one more shot. I had such a different experience that I had to write another review. The course conditions are night and day versus when I played there two years or so ago. Most greens and fairways were immaculate. There were still a few tee boxes that needed some work, some of the rough looked like it hadn’t been mowed for a while (maybe because of the rain) and there were some bare spots on a couple of greens, but overall everything was lush and green. They had also aerated the fairway on 7 and left the plugs of mostly clay still sitting on the fairway, so I spent the next 5 holes getting the clay out of my spikes. But the layout of the course has always been one of the best in the DMV and it’s so nice to see the conditions finally matching it. I played on a misty morning and the course still played great, even though it was very saturated. I didn’t see another soul on the course until the 17th, so the pace was perfect. I then spent a number of hours working in the restaurant and enjoyed a great turkey wrap and an endless glass of Pepsi, thanks to the very attentive service from the ladies there. Overall, if you’ve sworn off LP because of the conditions, I recommend you give them another chance. I’ll certainly be back.

Commented on 05/21/2018

Thank you for the nice review. We appreciate it. You are correct about the rough. Due to the rain and a broken part and delayed delivery, the rough is much higher than we like. It is being rectified this week as we are in the process of purchasing a new rough mower to improve the quality of rough mowing. The Aerification of the 7th fairway was also delayed due to the excess rain. We are continuing to improve daily and doing all the required maintenance and then some. Hope to see back soon and often.

"Great course at any cost"

adaoulas5's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/11/2018

I played the course two years ago and it was in complete disrepair.

It is shocking, if I didn’t know better I would have no idea I played there before. It has great distance challenging greens, and very unique experience hole to hole. I strongly recommend playing if possible,

Commented on 05/14/2018

We could not agree with you more. The course was very poorly maintained prior to the Billy Casper Group taking over. Over the last 18 months we have worked hard to restore this property to the destination facility it once was. Service, Food, and Course conditions have all been massively improved. Thank you very much for noticing.

"Pleasantly Surprised"

Peter6281716's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/01/2018

I know I graded most things as excellent but that is how it was especially bearing in mind the weather in the past months.

I looked at the Club website and it indicated that the fees had been discounted due to the course conditions. However, I decided to play and I'm certainly glad I did.

The course conditions were excellent both on the fairway and the first cut and the greens ran true at a reading of about 8 to 9. Not one green had unrepaired pitch marks and the green staff were working on tee maintenance while I was there. The tees I played from looked in pristine condition. The Staff stopped working and stood back when we teed off. Maybe they had been warned about my errant tee shots!

Only two holes were cart path only and the remainder were 90 degree cart access.

The Course Superintendent and his Staff have done an amazing turn around of this course compared with the reports I have read from previous years.

All Staff from the Caddy Master to the Pro Shop Staff to the Course Staff were very friendly, informative and welcoming.

The driving range has grass tees and is easily accessed.

Our round was 3 hours 35 minutes.

All in all a very enjoyable experience.

The only downside and nothing to do with the Golf Club is don't reply on your GPS to take you the last mile if you are coming from DC. It may try to take you through the housing estate and roads are blocked off as it is still being built. Go up to Beech Tree Parkway.

Commented on 05/03/2018

Great review and we appreciate the numerous kind remarks. Yes, we are working hard on everything you indicated and the course is continuing to improve every day. With a little more warm weather, we should be spectacular in no time.

"Making a comeback"

Bill4765124's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/28/2018

Lake Presidential is a great layout, but had fallen into such bad shape that I was reluctant to go back until I read some recent reviews. The fairways are starting to fill back in and the green are no longer filled with non-repaired ball marks. The course had taken on a lot of rain the day before so the bunkers were washed out, but there were plenty of rakes to make the necessary adjustments. Give the superintendent some more time and some decent weather and this place will be back in great shape.

Commented on 05/02/2018

Thank you for coming out to play. We appreciate your comments. Now that we finally have some warmer weather, watch how much more we improve! On non-rain days, our golf cart restrictions are lifted. See you soon for more rolling golf. :)

Mschaeffler's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/28/2018

Course in good shape for recent weather conditions. Greens in good shape. Great course layout

Commented on 05/02/2018

Thank you for coming out to play. We appreciate. Now that we finally have some warmer weather, watch how much more we improve! See you soon for more golf. :)

"Great local course"

mgaddy's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/12/2018

Greens and fairways are coming along very well from a year ago. The greens were rolled very well. Didn't really noticed that they were airated. Always a challenging and fun course to play.

Commented on 04/16/2018

Thank you for the nice comments. Yes, the greens are in awesome shape. We actually aerated greens on 3/27-3/29. That's why you didn't notice. they have healed wonderfully.

"Excited about this course’s future"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/01/2018

Got out this morning at 830 and flew around the course in 3.5 hours. I had heard the whole story of this course from my buddy who said it was his favorite layout in the DMV but conditions had suffered in recent years. After getting it today I was absolutely blown away by the course layout and very much appreciate all the work they’ve put into the course.

Everything was recently punched but the greens still ran pretty well with a light top dressing. Rough was healthy. Fairways were very green despite it being April 1st. When it comes to the layout, the course architect utilized the water exceptionally well and had a bit of a Quail Hollow feel of course on a bit smaller scale. From the tips the course was very challenging and demanded very good ball striking.

I’ll definitely be back for another round later this year. Kudos to the grounds crew and staff for their work on getting this course back to its old status.

Commented on 04/16/2018

Thanks for the excellent feedback. We appreciate and are doing everything possible to make this the course to play in the DMV. If people haven't played in a while, they will be very pleased at the new results.

"Disappointed"

Johnschwe's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/29/2018

The cart man warned me that a few of the holes in the back nine had just been aerated. Well, I have never seen so much sand on every green. Other than that - we had a good experience. I would come back. But not for a few months

Commented on 04/16/2018

The course is in great shape and you actually played right in the middle of the green aeration process. A healthy amount of sand is required to properly top dress the greens and provide a consistent surface. Sounds like you played a couple of holes while we were still dragging the sand in. Greens and overall conditions are excellent and we invite you to see for yourself. Thanks

"The Lake is coming back strong!!!!"

DXGolf's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/03/2017
Previously played Used cart Windy weather

I have been playing Lake Presidential for several years before the course conditions deteriorated and when the course conditions were at its worse, but I can tell you that ever since they brought in the new Superintendent I have been in awe of the resurgence of the course! The course is very close to the luster it had during the "glory days" of Lake Presidential. Nice roll on the fairways and the greens were fairly smooth.

The layout of LP is second to none and is consistently one of the most challenging and fair courses I have played thus far. I look forward to how amazing this course is going to look by the time the 2018 season rolls around. I thoroughly enjoyed my round.

Commented on 11/21/2017

Thank you for the nice review and we so very much appreciate you recognizing how hard we are all working to restore this property to its "glory" as you suggest. Thank you for coming out to play and we look forward to having you here many more times in 2018!

"Cart path only"

Tom5622616's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/18/2017

Nice course, they are finally getting some grass back after a bad couple of years.

You do a lot of walking because it is cart path only and has been for at least a year.

Pace of play is slowed because of the cart path only rule.want play there again until they let use the carts they way they are suppose to be used. I know there trying to protect there course. But make for along day when you are basically driving and walking to you ball ever play.

Commented on 10/26/2017

Thank you for the comment. Yes, we are working hard to restore this facility and the carts on the paths is an integral part of the process. The fairways are coming along fabulously and we are scheduled to be off the path in April 2018. Until then, its a short walk to your ball and a little exercise is good for all of us.

"Way To Go Lake Prez"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/25/2017

This course has gone through some tough times last year with conditions. But the place is looking really good now. It's a very nice course and tough. My only beef (albeit small) was that they're cart-path only for the year. But that's a small price to pay to ensure the grass is back for good. Let's hope carts can go into the fairways next season.

Commented on 09/28/2017

Thank you for the positive comments. We do appreciate and are happy to see you noticing all the improvements and efforts we are making to recreate the awesome course we all want. Yes, the cart path only is a slight distraction, but it is required to prepare the turf properly again after so many years of neglect. In the meantime, a little walking is very good for all of us. Thanks again.

"Pretty to look at but hard to play!"

Dan703's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/23/2017

Beautiful course, some of the most picturesque golf holes in the area! Conditions have greatly improved over the last 12 months. If you don't have a single digit handicap do yourself a favor and play from the white tees. The only drawback was having to keep the carts on the cart path for the entire round. Very professional and courteous staff, from the pro shop to the snack bar. I plan on playing there again before the season is over.

Commented on 09/27/2017

Thank you for the nice comments. We too love the layout here and there are some fabulous vistas along the way. You are right about difficulty and cart path. The latter is required as we continue to restore the fairways. For the difficulty factor, we agree completely, play from the White Tee. The point is to enjoy yourself and this will make it much more fun for us average golfers. Hope to see you soon!

"Lake Presidential is Almost Back"

denhoban1's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/23/2017
Previously played Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

I'm a resident of Beechtree who saw and experienced the deterioration of the course last year. It was heartbreaking. I'm am very happy to say that the new guys have done a tremendous job in bringing her back. There is still work to be done in the rough and the bunkers, but greens and fairways are very good thanks to the cart path only rule this year. Probably won't be until next Spring for an average duffer to enjoy the experience, but this course is roaring back. Kudos to the staff, who have combined their expertise with the kind of service and empathy you need when recovering from near disaster.

Commented on 09/27/2017

Thank you very much for the great comments and for recognizing how hard we have been and will continue to work, to bring this course back to the conditions we all deserve and desire. Myself and the team appreciate your support and patience in this endeavor.

"Beautiful, tough course."

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/20/2017

I enjoy a challenge and this one is it for me. The day was hit and humid and more drinking water would have been great.

Commented on 09/22/2017

Thank you for commenting on the course. We appreciate it.

Interesting you talk about drinking water, but we do have water stations on every third hole (6 in total) throughout the golf course. We also run the Bev Carts all day. Not sure if you used the water stations, but they are there and are iced and refilled daily with fresh water.

"Still not good"

Mraiders12's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/05/2017

We played there on a Tuesday. I got 8 tee times on golf now, there was no warning on Golf Now that anything was amiss. I found out when we got there that the entire front nine was shut down and we had to play the back twice. Usually Golf Now gives you a warning of some sort and normally there is a discount because of it.

Also the course has commercials running on TV which they say that they are back to being in great shape again. The course is not in great shape, at least not compared to golf courses in the same area. The greens were fast and putted true when you were not in the patchy parts. Maybe in a bit it will be back but as of now no way.

Our group will not be wasting our money on this course for awhile, too many other better courses out there.

Commented on 09/09/2017

I'm sorry you didn't see the notifications on Golf Now. They are posted everywhere for Aerification. Our own website and counter team informs everyone prior to their tee time. This course is playing wonderfully when you keep it in the fairway and on the green. And as you say, the greens are in fabulous shape and will be healed from Aerification in no time. We have dozens of members here who all think the conditions here rival any course in the area as they have played them all and still choose Lake Presidential for service, quality of the course, and continuing condition improvement.

playyoung's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/04/2017
Previously played Walked Hot weather Verified Purchaser

We're group of 8 persons played on Labor day. entire course was cart path only. One person was 85years old and one lady was a handy cap person. Both of need a handy cap flag in order to play the 18 holes golf. But they didn't gave to them. Main problem was the marshal told them after finish 9 holes they 're 25 minutes behind playing time and they're off from the car path , they're only less than few feet off from the car path. Also we're right behind of them, we didn't have to wait hardly any holes at all. They're so BAD!!!

Commented on 09/06/2017

I'm sorry to read this review. Especially when we went out of our way to accommodate your group a second time. Its unfortunate you rate us as "so bad" when your group was in fact holding everyone behind you up. You were both in fact 25 minutes behind Pace of Play guidelines. The Pace of Play guidelines are set specifically for Cart Path Only guidelines" and the timing is more than generous to play the course in this fashion. The ladies did drive off the cart path numerous times and were gently reminded to stay on the path. You also were informed far in advance of the "Cart Path Only rules" before you made your tee time. They were the same as when your group played your outing the month prior. If you are going to rate us poorly, then please be factual with your responses. We appreciate the criticism and are working hard to improve the facility, but please provide other golfers with the appropriate feedback. Thank you.

"Challenging course"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/22/2017

Very picturesque and VERY challenging. Good shots are rewarded and mistakes are costly. Has become my favorite course in the area.

Commented on 08/24/2017

Thank you very much for the nice comments. We greatly appreciate you recognizing how hard we are working to restore this awesome facility.

Thanks again, and we look forward to having you back very soon.