Style Links

Year Built 2007
Fairways Fescue Grass
Greens Fescue Grass
Architect Robert Trent Jones, Jr. (2007) Jay Blasi (2007)

Carts Yes - medical certificate required

Caddies Yes
Golf School Academy Yes - "Chambers Bay Academy"

Credit Cards Accepted Major credit cards are accepted.
Dress code Collared shirt required

A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 16

Great time

It’s my third time playing this course. I came with my brother because he has not played it yet. It’s a tough tough course but the hardest part about it is the walking can be very difficult. I’m 61 my brother 62 it was a little difficult to walk but very beautiful and scenic throughout the entire course. Would recommend getting a caddy for your foursome to help read the greens because they are pretty tough.

Great course and caddie - very poor security at course

Golf course was fantastic and our caddie Jason was excellent. After playing our round in less than 4 hours, we go to our rental SUV and find that it was broken into. We had thousands of dollars of items stolen and Chambers Bay's response was "this has happened quite a bit recently". We filled out an incident report at the course (we had to catch a flight) which they said would lead to a police report; that never happened. There are no security cameras or police oversight and they offered us absolutely nothing for our tremendous loss - that was amazing to my playing partner and I. We spent hundreds of dollars in the pro shop. I had to call the local police myself because I had a CPAP machine stolen. Course is great but management and staff are useless.

Best course I've ever played

I've been lucky enough to play on a lot of great courses in the US but Chambers Bay is, hands down, the best I've ever played. I can't speak to what the greens were like before they redid them but they are perfect. The scenery on just about every hole is spectacular. And, each hole is so well designed the whole course is a literal masterpiece. I now want to play everything RTJ Jr. has designed.

New Greens are amazing

Third time playing the course. Gets better everytime. Marshall pushed my bag up the hill between 12 and 13. Beautiful day. Greens are better then ever. Great day all together.

Amazing! Great New Greens.

The greens have been redone with new grass and they are great. Course is absolutely amazing! Great views. Demanding shots and fast greens. It’s walking only and it’s a lot of hilly terrain that adds another dynamic to the round. Highly recommend. My caddie Jimmy was awesome! Good course knowledge and great to talk to on the course. A caddy is a must for first time players.

Texas Advisor

You should just burn your $275 instead

Talk about a colossal disappointment. Wow. I’ve previously rated this course as a 5-star but this place has turned into a bottom dweller. These greens are the worst I have ever played. They are closing the course in October to replace all the greens but that does not mean you stop caring for the current ones when you’re charging $275 to play this dump. Awesome routing. Dumpster fire conditions. Horrible value.

Commented on 05/26/2019

You should check out the new greens...They are amazing.

Chamber's Bay

Just played there last week. Course itself and layout were awesome. Paid twilight rate which was even better. Would have given it 5 stars but the green complexes suck right now with the bumpy and not pure fescue greens. Even worse, during the round you end up playing 3 holes of the 18 on Poa Annua grass which were great and pure so gauging speed and line on those vs the horrible fescue in the middle of the round was really just crazy. Never have played anything like that with two different putting surfaces on a highly ranked course. Great course but wait until they rebuild the greens this winter. They will finally represent the great layout of the course next year and it will be worth 5 stars then. If you are going soon, I suggest playing twilight to pay less than rack rate.

I don't get it--so much potential

First the positive--The views are world class. The layout is hard, fair and beautiful. Everyone I met was awesome--friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. The weather was perfect--light to a strong breeze that hit you in different ways on different holes that made it challenging.
Now the walkaway feeling--Why am I paying $150 for the worst greens I have ever played? I would explain it as--a club that just punched the greens and sanded them about 2 weeks prior. 3 years removed from the same complaints at the US Open, I can only figure they want it that way. If that is true, they need to "fix" the practice green, because that green was great. I play courses all around the Pacific Northwest and I wouldn't recommend this one.
Oh, and the clubhouse---similar to the par 3 muni course by my house--really? You had a US Open here and you have golfers paying big bucks to pay every day. I am assuming they would want a first class club house shopping experience. I generally buy a shirt or hat everyplace. I didn't and wasn't compelled to.

Texas Advisor

Chambers Bay - Haters gonna hate

Everyone seems to have an opinion on this course after the 2015 US Open, and it seems most of them are negative... it's too brown, the greens are terrible, it's not a real US Open course...

That's all pretty ridiculous. This course is one of the most unique and challenging courses I've ever had the pleasure to play!

Two warnings:

1. It's walking only, and it's not an easy walk. Be prepared for that. Personally, I think it's an even better way to take in the unique contours of the course and the amazing scenery around you.

2. It's pretty tough. If you don't like bunkers or bad bounces... this may not be your cup of tea.

With those out of the way... WOW! Every hole at this course demands a different kind of golf. Don't expect to just crush a driver and throw a high lofted wedge into every green. You'll have lots of opportunities to use backstops, run balls along the ground, aim seemingly way off line and see your ball still find its way to the flag.

Holes 5-7 are my favorites on the front 9. 5 tee boasts an amazing view down on much of the course below. You hit your drive downhill to a narrowing fairway the farther you go, then you have a tough uphill approach to a green with a sneaky bunker right in the middle. 6 requires an accurate tee shot (probably not a driver) to set up an approach to a green tucked in the nook of a hillside. You really can't miss by much or you'll find yourself in a bunker or tall fescue with little chance to save par. 7 is a long par 4 that dares you to bite off too much off the tee. You can be safe staying further left, but you'll have a long (and probably blind) approach to contend with.

The back 9 is even better. I love every hole, but especially 11, 12, 14, and 15. The back 9 will force a lot of decisions off the tee and driver is rarely an easy call. 15 is one of the best views on the course, and is home to the only tree on the course.

I could go on forever... but the point is... this course is a treasure and you should go.

Plays as advertised

Well I had to check a major championship venue off my list, so on a recent trip to Seatac I played at Chambers. Indeed this is a true links course, except for perhaps the slope. It is built into an old quarry and there is quite a bit of elevation change, but still quite walkable. I carried my bag for the front and got a (free) walking cart for the back. Hospitality was great but the pace was extremely slow: my round took 5:30.
Loved the course setup. There are tee blocks but no markers, some tees are shared, and snacks/bar in a spot where you go by 3-4 times during the round.
As for the difficulty, well it wasn't set up like Sunday of the '15 open, but still demanding. Shot placement and club selection is critical. Not a flat spot on the property, so you better put that tee shot in the right spot or it'll take a 90 degree turn and run 30 yards down into a nasty and deep waste bunker. Greens are rocking and rolling, but actually not terribly fast. The slope from the whites is 121, believe it or not, but you wouldn't think it.
My takeaway: #16 is a short par four that I drove through the green. As you remember Branden Grace ended up by the train tracks here, so the logical conclusion is that I am a better golfer than Branden Grace :0

Greens can be a mess, but dang this course is cool.

This was my first round of the year and I didn't play particularly well, but dang, I had fun. Each hole seems to be it's own chapter in a classic novel. Some of the greens were still in pretty rough shape and rolled super inconsistently, but it's a problem they are aware of and they're working to correct it. It may be the only reason this course isn't perfect.

What I love about links golf is the ability to use the ground on windy days. While it was relatively calm when I played here, the ground was firm enough to use as an option. Too many American Links style courses over-saturate, looking to appeal to the people that need green grass to play off of no matter the environment the grass exists in. Unfortunately, that can take away from the charm of chasing a 6-iron onto the green because the ball doesn't roll as it should.

It should also be noted that I payed $99 for my round! We came up 18 as the sun set behind us. So, it was a pretty perfect scene and one I won't soon forget.

A Course that plays different every time.

This is an incredible course that continues to amaze me. I have played it since opening, probably 100 times. Yet, this last round found me in places I had never been, (not all bad) with shots I had to imagine. The course was a little soft after rain, but you still never see mud on your ball. The roll out is there in March like it is in July. Only course in Washington that does not allow "winter rules". The variety of holes and shots will use all your clubs and challenge you to read some difficult greens. They are changing the greens to Poa, which is too bad I think. But so many locals can't read or put on fescue, I guess they got tired of the complaints. Fun to play the holes that the US Open was played on and imagine those shots and putts.

Over rated

5 1/2 hour round!! Greens were in terrible condition. Way over priced for conditions. Great things were staff & Views. That’s it!!

Knock out views with a layout to match

Top line: a famed course that has amazing views but some seriously fun golf holes.

I watche nearly every second of the US Open when it was at Chambers, so playing this course has been high on my list for some time. The layout of the course was spectacular. A great mix of shots, some tight holes some that are wide open. He one constant is that you want to be accurate off the tee because there are massive waste bunkers on the course. It is a little pricey (we splurged for caddies which was totally worth it) but if you have a chance the course was worth it.

Bottom line: play this course, it does not disappoint

Improving conditions, unforgettable design

Is it possible for a course to go from overhyped to underrated? It is in the case of Chambers Bay, whose debut on a grand stage at the 2015 U.S. Open was marred by complaints (justified, for the most part) about the condition of its fescue greens.

Things are improving on that front, though the course still has a ways to go before the conditions match up with the phenomenal design of the course and scenery. Simply put, if you like fun golf courses, you'll love Chambers Bay, especially for its remarkable green complexes which gather and shed shots in roughly equal measure. They're worthy of study, and of multiple plays. The course is a tough but rewarding walk, thanks to tremendous views (especially at sunset) of its namesake body of water.

(Pictured: the terrific drop-shot par-3 15th)

Great Course in need up updates

I love CB... always have and always will. It does, however, pain me how little they do to maintain and update the course. It has such great views and an awesome layout, but it loses points when the greens look like a quilt and they don't bother maintaining the conditions in a way the price demands.

Sunset Round at Chambers

Can't say enough great things about Chambers. I have played here three times in the last year and each time has been memorable in it's own way.

Sometimes you associate championship courses with stuffy old dudes who like to nit-pick and sometimes harass players who do not fit the typical "traditional golfer" - Chambers is far from this. The staff is great and there to make your experience as easy as possible. They have spotters in places where you may typically loose a ball and golf cart rides in between spread out holes- all to help your round move quickly.

I have never played with a caddie. I'm 28 and walk the course with my bag on my back and read the course notes found on the website (this will help your score). However, Chambers is a beast to walk and a caddie could make the experience more enjoyable for those who are not 28 :)

I played here the first time with a guy who shot a 140 (no joke) and he walked off loving every second. We were never pressed by a marshal. The staff understand the difficulty of the course and the marshal actually noticed that the group behind us was on our tail and he politely asked them to take their time. Besides the fantastic golf- Chambers offers a first class experience to all types of golfers.

There is something magical about standing in the same fairway as Jordan Speith or hitting out of the same bunker as Tiger (I have hit into "Chambers Basement" on hole 18 two out of the three times I have played here. If you follow my path, which I do not advise, put the ball in the back of your stance, close your eyes, and swing).

Chambers is made for the creative golfer. You score well by using the natural slopes provided by the earth. There are vertical challenges all over this course.

Knowing where to hit your ball off the tee and where to hit your approach shot is a must. Like I mentioned, I read the hole-by-hole notes on the website- they are extremely helpful and worth the 30 seconds it takes to pull them up on your phone.

If you have never played Chambers, you can not go wrong with a twilight/ afternoon round. Out of the three times I have played, teeing off at 3:30 in august and walking up 18 with the sun setting over the sound, was a "goose bumps" type of experience.

I have ran into country club guys who love walking on flat surfaces and playing predictable courses and who bash Chambers when they have never even played it. I would encourage anyone who loves golf to play Chambers. Not just for the golf, but to dive into the creative mind of Robert Trent Jones III. I still find it amazing that he was able to look at that piece of land and imagine a golf course like Chambers. It is indeed amazing.

If you have any questions, comment and I am happy to share more about my experiences.

-AD

9a8207e3-0956-55bf-991c-b0480075ab31
Commented on 05/29/2018

yeah I agree playing the last 4 holes in the evening is an amazing experience, although to get the ball up qiuckly as you must in the deep 18th hole bunker you would preferably play the ball slightly ahead of your normal ball position and open your clubface as needed and hit it hard. great write up!

Maybe one day I'll love it

Beautiful weather. Wonderful layout from tee to green. Green complexes at best are challenging to unfair. All that a few are missing is the windmill and clown's mouth.

Chambers is replacing turf on the greens. Unfortunately they are not redoing the entire green, just spots about the size of an area rug.

I'll come back if in the area. Would not make a special trip to play this course.

9a8207e3-0956-55bf-991c-b0480075ab31
Commented on 05/29/2018

they are replacing most if not all greens but the patches on some of the greens are of the new poana grass to help it "take over" the fescue. unfair greens? not hardly

Lakewood, Washington
Fircrest, Washington
McChord AFB, Washington
Anderson Island, Washington
Gig Harbor, Washington
Gig Harbor, Washington

Valid dates: Oct 10, 2019 - Oct 31, 2019
Golf Package Special for October starts at $199.00 for 1 or 2 golfers, Monday to Thursday. Golf included for each nights stay. Call 520-577-4092 to add additional golfers to the package.