Chambers Bay

Navy 72 7165 yards 75.6 139
Sand 72 6513 yards 72.4 135
Blue (W) 72 5278 yards 71.5 128
Scorecard for Chambers Bay Golf Course
Navy M: 74.7/140 559 395 167 530 465 418 482 557 227 3800 398 457 281 485 496 139 396 172 541 3365 7165
Sand M: 71.7/130 W: 77.4/139 501 365 145 480 441 369 435 523 202 3461 360 425 262 453 407 116 359 142 514 3038 6499
Sand/White M: 70.6/128 W: 76.3/136 501 365 130 480 391 315 363 488 144 3177 360 402 262 390 383 116 359 142 514 2928 6105
White M: 69.5/121 W: 75.1/132 465 337 130 424 391 315 363 488 132 3045 330 402 246 390 383 103 323 119 487 2783 5828
Blue M: 65.3/119 W: 70.9/122 436 301 111 347 323 283 363 441 132 2737 311 378 219 348 309 91 279 92 462 2489 5226

Year Built 2007
Fairways Fescue Grass
Greens Fescue Grass
Architect Robert Trent Jones, Jr. (2007)

Carts Yes - medical certificate required

Caddies Yes

Credit Cards Accepted Major credit cards are accepted.
Dress code Collared shirt required

A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 15

Chamber's Bay

Just played there last week. Course itself and layout were awesome. Paid twilight rate which was even better. Would have given it 5 stars but the green complexes suck right now with the bumpy and not pure fescue greens. Even worse, during the round you end up playing 3 holes of the 18 on Poa Annua grass which were great and pure so gauging speed and line on those vs the horrible fescue in the middle of the round was really just crazy. Never have played anything like that with two different putting surfaces on a highly ranked course. Great course but wait until they rebuild the greens this winter. They will finally represent the great layout of the course next year and it will be worth 5 stars then. If you are going soon, I suggest playing twilight to pay less than rack rate.

I don't get it--so much potential

First the positive--The views are world class. The layout is hard, fair and beautiful. Everyone I met was awesome--friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. The weather was perfect--light to a strong breeze that hit you in different ways on different holes that made it challenging.

Now the walkaway feeling--Why am I paying $150 for the worst greens I have ever played? I would explain it as--a club that just punched the greens and sanded them about 2 weeks prior. 3 years removed from the same complaints at the US Open, I can only figure they want it that way. If that is true, they need to "fix" the practice green, because that green was great. I play courses all around the Pacific Northwest and I wouldn't recommend this one.

Oh, and the clubhouse---similar to the par 3 muni course by my house--really? You had a US Open here and you have golfers paying big bucks to pay every day. I am assuming they would want a first class club house shopping experience. I generally buy a shirt or hat everyplace. I didn't and wasn't compelled to.

Texas Advisor

Chambers Bay - Haters gonna hate

Everyone seems to have an opinion on this course after the 2015 US Open, and it seems most of them are negative... it's too brown, the greens are terrible, it's not a real US Open course...

That's all pretty ridiculous. This course is one of the most unique and challenging courses I've ever had the pleasure to play!

Two warnings:

1. It's walking only, and it's not an easy walk. Be prepared for that. Personally, I think it's an even better way to take in the unique contours of the course and the amazing scenery around you.

2. It's pretty tough. If you don't like bunkers or bad bounces... this may not be your cup of tea.

With those out of the way... WOW! Every hole at this course demands a different kind of golf. Don't expect to just crush a driver and throw a high lofted wedge into every green. You'll have lots of opportunities to use backstops, run balls along the ground, aim seemingly way off line and see your ball still find its way to the flag.

Holes 5-7 are my favorites on the front 9. 5 tee boasts an amazing view down on much of the course below. You hit your drive downhill to a narrowing fairway the farther you go, then you have a tough uphill approach to a green with a sneaky bunker right in the middle. 6 requires an accurate tee shot (probably not a driver) to set up an approach to a green tucked in the nook of a hillside. You really can't miss by much or you'll find yourself in a bunker or tall fescue with little chance to save par. 7 is a long par 4 that dares you to bite off too much off the tee. You can be safe staying further left, but you'll have a long (and probably blind) approach to contend with.

The back 9 is even better. I love every hole, but especially 11, 12, 14, and 15. The back 9 will force a lot of decisions off the tee and driver is rarely an easy call. 15 is one of the best views on the course, and is home to the only tree on the course.

I could go on forever... but the point is... this course is a treasure and you should go.

Plays as advertised

Well I had to check a major championship venue off my list, so on a recent trip to Seatac I played at Chambers. Indeed this is a true links course, except for perhaps the slope. It is built into an old quarry and there is quite a bit of elevation change, but still quite walkable. I carried my bag for the front and got a (free) walking cart for the back. Hospitality was great but the pace was extremely slow: my round took 5:30.

Loved the course setup. There are tee blocks but no markers, some tees are shared, and snacks/bar in a spot where you go by 3-4 times during the round.

As for the difficulty, well it wasn't set up like Sunday of the '15 open, but still demanding. Shot placement and club selection is critical. Not a flat spot on the property, so you better put that tee shot in the right spot or it'll take a 90 degree turn and run 30 yards down into a nasty and deep waste bunker. Greens are rocking and rolling, but actually not terribly fast. The slope from the whites is 121, believe it or not, but you wouldn't think it.

My takeaway: #16 is a short par four that I drove through the green. As you remember Branden Grace ended up by the train tracks here, so the logical conclusion is that I am a better golfer than Branden Grace :0

A Course that plays different every time.

This is an incredible course that continues to amaze me. I have played it since opening, probably 100 times. Yet, this last round found me in places I had never been, (not all bad) with shots I had to imagine. The course was a little soft after rain, but you still never see mud on your ball. The roll out is there in March like it is in July. Only course in Washington that does not allow "winter rules". The variety of holes and shots will use all your clubs and challenge you to read some difficult greens. They are changing the greens to Poa, which is too bad I think. But so many locals can't read or put on fescue, I guess they got tired of the complaints. Fun to play the holes that the US Open was played on and imagine those shots and putts.

Over rated

5 1/2 hour round!! Greens were in terrible condition. Way over priced for conditions. Great things were staff & Views. That’s it!!

Knock out views with a layout to match

Top line: a famed course that has amazing views but some seriously fun golf holes.

I watche nearly every second of the US Open when it was at Chambers, so playing this course has been high on my list for some time. The layout of the course was spectacular. A great mix of shots, some tight holes some that are wide open. He one constant is that you want to be accurate off the tee because there are massive waste bunkers on the course. It is a little pricey (we splurged for caddies which was totally worth it) but if you have a chance the course was worth it.

Bottom line: play this course, it does not disappoint

Improving conditions, unforgettable design

Is it possible for a course to go from overhyped to underrated? It is in the case of Chambers Bay, whose debut on a grand stage at the 2015 U.S. Open was marred by complaints (justified, for the most part) about the condition of its fescue greens.

Things are improving on that front, though the course still has a ways to go before the conditions match up with the phenomenal design of the course and scenery. Simply put, if you like fun golf courses, you'll love Chambers Bay, especially for its remarkable green complexes which gather and shed shots in roughly equal measure. They're worthy of study, and of multiple plays. The course is a tough but rewarding walk, thanks to tremendous views (especially at sunset) of its namesake body of water.

(Pictured: the terrific drop-shot par-3 15th)

Great Course in need up updates

I love CB... always have and always will. It does, however, pain me how little they do to maintain and update the course. It has such great views and an awesome layout, but it loses points when the greens look like a quilt and they don't bother maintaining the conditions in a way the price demands.

Sunset Round at Chambers

Can't say enough great things about Chambers. I have played here three times in the last year and each time has been memorable in it's own way.

Sometimes you associate championship courses with stuffy old dudes who like to nit-pick and sometimes harass players who do not fit the typical "traditional golfer" - Chambers is far from this. The staff is great and there to make your experience as easy as possible. They have spotters in places where you may typically loose a ball and golf cart rides in between spread out holes- all to help your round move quickly.

I have never played with a caddie. I'm 28 and walk the course with my bag on my back and read the course notes found on the website (this will help your score). However, Chambers is a beast to walk and a caddie could make the experience more enjoyable for those who are not 28 :)

I played here the first time with a guy who shot a 140 (no joke) and he walked off loving every second. We were never pressed by a marshal. The staff understand the difficulty of the course and the marshal actually noticed that the group behind us was on our tail and he politely asked them to take their time. Besides the fantastic golf- Chambers offers a first class experience to all types of golfers.

There is something magical about standing in the same fairway as Jordan Speith or hitting out of the same bunker as Tiger (I have hit into "Chambers Basement" on hole 18 two out of the three times I have played here. If you follow my path, which I do not advise, put the ball in the back of your stance, close your eyes, and swing).

Chambers is made for the creative golfer. You score well by using the natural slopes provided by the earth. There are vertical challenges all over this course.

Knowing where to hit your ball off the tee and where to hit your approach shot is a must. Like I mentioned, I read the hole-by-hole notes on the website- they are extremely helpful and worth the 30 seconds it takes to pull them up on your phone.

If you have never played Chambers, you can not go wrong with a twilight/ afternoon round. Out of the three times I have played, teeing off at 3:30 in august and walking up 18 with the sun setting over the sound, was a "goose bumps" type of experience.

I have ran into country club guys who love walking on flat surfaces and playing predictable courses and who bash Chambers when they have never even played it. I would encourage anyone who loves golf to play Chambers. Not just for the golf, but to dive into the creative mind of Robert Trent Jones III. I still find it amazing that he was able to look at that piece of land and imagine a golf course like Chambers. It is indeed amazing.

If you have any questions, comment and I am happy to share more about my experiences.

-AD

9a8207e3-0956-55bf-991c-b0480075ab31
mpreiss
Commented On 05/30/2018

yeah I agree playing the last 4 holes in the evening is an amazing experience, although to get the ball up qiuckly as you must in the deep 18th hole bunker you would preferably play the ball slightly ahead of your normal ball position and open your clubface as needed and hit it hard. great write up!

Lakewood, Washington