Style Links
Navy 72 7165 yards 75.6 139
Sand 72 6499 yards 72.4 135
Blue (W) 72 5226 yards 71.5 128
Scorecard for Chambers Bay Golf Course
Navy M: 74.7/140 559 395 167 530 465 418 482 557 227 3800 398 457 281 485 496 139 396 172 541 3365 7165
Sand M: 71.7/130 W: 77.4/139 501 365 145 480 441 369 435 523 202 3461 360 425 262 453 407 116 359 142 514 3038 6499
Sand/White M: 70.6/128 W: 76.3/136 501 365 130 480 391 315 363 488 144 3177 360 402 262 390 383 116 359 142 514 2928 6105
White M: 69.5/121 W: 75.1/132 465 337 130 424 391 315 363 488 132 3045 330 402 246 390 383 103 323 119 487 2783 5828
Blue M: 65.3/119 W: 70.9/122 436 301 111 347 323 283 363 441 132 2737 311 378 219 348 309 91 279 92 462 2489 5226

Year Built 2007
Fairways Fescue Grass
Greens Fescue Grass
Architect Robert Trent Jones, Jr. (2007) Jay Blasi (2007)

Carts Yes - medical certificate required

Caddies Yes
Golf School Academy Yes - "Chambers Bay Academy"

Credit Cards Accepted Major credit cards are accepted.
Dress code Collared shirt required

A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 16

New Greens are amazing

Third time playing the course. Gets better everytime. Marshall pushed my bag up the hill between 12 and 13. Beautiful day. Greens are better then ever. Great day all together.

Amazing! Great New Greens.

The greens have been redone with new grass and they are great. Course is absolutely amazing! Great views. Demanding shots and fast greens. It’s walking only and it’s a lot of hilly terrain that adds another dynamic to the round. Highly recommend. My caddie Jimmy was awesome! Good course knowledge and great to talk to on the course. A caddy is a must for first time players.

You should just burn your $275 instead

Talk about a colossal disappointment. Wow. I’ve previously rated this course as a 5-star but this place has turned into a bottom dweller. These greens are the worst I have ever played. They are closing the course in October to replace all the greens but that does not mean you stop caring for the current ones when you’re charging $275 to play this dump. Awesome routing. Dumpster fire conditions. Horrible value.

soundertillidie
Commented On 05/26/2019

You should check out the new greens...They are amazing.

Chamber's Bay

Just played there last week. Course itself and layout were awesome. Paid twilight rate which was even better. Would have given it 5 stars but the green complexes suck right now with the bumpy and not pure fescue greens. Even worse, during the round you end up playing 3 holes of the 18 on Poa Annua grass which were great and pure so gauging speed and line on those vs the horrible fescue in the middle of the round was really just crazy. Never have played anything like that with two different putting surfaces on a highly ranked course. Great course but wait until they rebuild the greens this winter. They will finally represent the great layout of the course next year and it will be worth 5 stars then. If you are going soon, I suggest playing twilight to pay less than rack rate.

I don't get it--so much potential

First the positive--The views are world class. The layout is hard, fair and beautiful. Everyone I met was awesome--friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. The weather was perfect--light to a strong breeze that hit you in different ways on different holes that made it challenging.
Now the walkaway feeling--Why am I paying $150 for the worst greens I have ever played? I would explain it as--a club that just punched the greens and sanded them about 2 weeks prior. 3 years removed from the same complaints at the US Open, I can only figure they want it that way. If that is true, they need to "fix" the practice green, because that green was great. I play courses all around the Pacific Northwest and I wouldn't recommend this one.
Oh, and the clubhouse---similar to the par 3 muni course by my house--really? You had a US Open here and you have golfers paying big bucks to pay every day. I am assuming they would want a first class club house shopping experience. I generally buy a shirt or hat everyplace. I didn't and wasn't compelled to.

Chambers Bay - Haters gonna hate

Everyone seems to have an opinion on this course after the 2015 US Open, and it seems most of them are negative... it's too brown, the greens are terrible, it's not a real US Open course...

That's all pretty ridiculous. This course is one of the most unique and challenging courses I've ever had the pleasure to play!

Two warnings:

1. It's walking only, and it's not an easy walk. Be prepared for that. Personally, I think it's an even better way to take in the unique contours of the course and the amazing scenery around you.

2. It's pretty tough. If you don't like bunkers or bad bounces... this may not be your cup of tea.

With those out of the way... WOW! Every hole at this course demands a different kind of golf. Don't expect to just crush a driver and throw a high lofted wedge into every green. You'll have lots of opportunities to use backstops, run balls along the ground, aim seemingly way off line and see your ball still find its way to the flag.

Holes 5-7 are my favorites on the front 9. 5 tee boasts an amazing view down on much of the course below. You hit your drive downhill to a narrowing fairway the farther you go, then you have a tough uphill approach to a green with a sneaky bunker right in the middle. 6 requires an accurate tee shot (probably not a driver) to set up an approach to a green tucked in the nook of a hillside. You really can't miss by much or you'll find yourself in a bunker or tall fescue with little chance to save par. 7 is a long par 4 that dares you to bite off too much off the tee. You can be safe staying further left, but you'll have a long (and probably blind) approach to contend with.

The back 9 is even better. I love every hole, but especially 11, 12, 14, and 15. The back 9 will force a lot of decisions off the tee and driver is rarely an easy call. 15 is one of the best views on the course, and is home to the only tree on the course.

I could go on forever... but the point is... this course is a treasure and you should go.

Plays as advertised

Well I had to check a major championship venue off my list, so on a recent trip to Seatac I played at Chambers. Indeed this is a true links course, except for perhaps the slope. It is built into an old quarry and there is quite a bit of elevation change, but still quite walkable. I carried my bag for the front and got a (free) walking cart for the back. Hospitality was great but the pace was extremely slow: my round took 5:30.
Loved the course setup. There are tee blocks but no markers, some tees are shared, and snacks/bar in a spot where you go by 3-4 times during the round.
As for the difficulty, well it wasn't set up like Sunday of the '15 open, but still demanding. Shot placement and club selection is critical. Not a flat spot on the property, so you better put that tee shot in the right spot or it'll take a 90 degree turn and run 30 yards down into a nasty and deep waste bunker. Greens are rocking and rolling, but actually not terribly fast. The slope from the whites is 121, believe it or not, but you wouldn't think it.
My takeaway: #16 is a short par four that I drove through the green. As you remember Branden Grace ended up by the train tracks here, so the logical conclusion is that I am a better golfer than Branden Grace :0

Greens can be a mess, but dang this course is cool.

This was my first round of the year and I didn't play particularly well, but dang, I had fun. Each hole seems to be it's own chapter in a classic novel. Some of the greens were still in pretty rough shape and rolled super inconsistently, but it's a problem they are aware of and they're working to correct it. It may be the only reason this course isn't perfect.

What I love about links golf is the ability to use the ground on windy days. While it was relatively calm when I played here, the ground was firm enough to use as an option. Too many American Links style courses over-saturate, looking to appeal to the people that need green grass to play off of no matter the environment the grass exists in. Unfortunately, that can take away from the charm of chasing a 6-iron onto the green because the ball doesn't roll as it should.

It should also be noted that I payed $99 for my round! We came up 18 as the sun set behind us. So, it was a pretty perfect scene and one I won't soon forget.

A Course that plays different every time.

This is an incredible course that continues to amaze me. I have played it since opening, probably 100 times. Yet, this last round found me in places I had never been, (not all bad) with shots I had to imagine. The course was a little soft after rain, but you still never see mud on your ball. The roll out is there in March like it is in July. Only course in Washington that does not allow "winter rules". The variety of holes and shots will use all your clubs and challenge you to read some difficult greens. They are changing the greens to Poa, which is too bad I think. But so many locals can't read or put on fescue, I guess they got tired of the complaints. Fun to play the holes that the US Open was played on and imagine those shots and putts.

Over rated

5 1/2 hour round!! Greens were in terrible condition. Way over priced for conditions. Great things were staff & Views. That’s it!!

Knock out views with a layout to match

Top line: a famed course that has amazing views but some seriously fun golf holes.

I watche nearly every second of the US Open when it was at Chambers, so playing this course has been high on my list for some time. The layout of the course was spectacular. A great mix of shots, some tight holes some that are wide open. He one constant is that you want to be accurate off the tee because there are massive waste bunkers on the course. It is a little pricey (we splurged for caddies which was totally worth it) but if you have a chance the course was worth it.

Bottom line: play this course, it does not disappoint

Improving conditions, unforgettable design

Is it possible for a course to go from overhyped to underrated? It is in the case of Chambers Bay, whose debut on a grand stage at the 2015 U.S. Open was marred by complaints (justified, for the most part) about the condition of its fescue greens.

Things are improving on that front, though the course still has a ways to go before the conditions match up with the phenomenal design of the course and scenery. Simply put, if you like fun golf courses, you'll love Chambers Bay, especially for its remarkable green complexes which gather and shed shots in roughly equal measure. They're worthy of study, and of multiple plays. The course is a tough but rewarding walk, thanks to tremendous views (especially at sunset) of its namesake body of water.

(Pictured: the terrific drop-shot par-3 15th)

Great Course in need up updates

I love CB... always have and always will. It does, however, pain me how little they do to maintain and update the course. It has such great views and an awesome layout, but it loses points when the greens look like a quilt and they don't bother maintaining the conditions in a way the price demands.

Sunset Round at Chambers

Can't say enough great things about Chambers. I have played here three times in the last year and each time has been memorable in it's own way.

Sometimes you associate championship courses with stuffy old dudes who like to nit-pick and sometimes harass players who do not fit the typical "traditional golfer" - Chambers is far from this. The staff is great and there to make your experience as easy as possible. They have spotters in places where you may typically loose a ball and golf cart rides in between spread out holes- all to help your round move quickly.

I have never played with a caddie. I'm 28 and walk the course with my bag on my back and read the course notes found on the website (this will help your score). However, Chambers is a beast to walk and a caddie could make the experience more enjoyable for those who are not 28 :)

I played here the first time with a guy who shot a 140 (no joke) and he walked off loving every second. We were never pressed by a marshal. The staff understand the difficulty of the course and the marshal actually noticed that the group behind us was on our tail and he politely asked them to take their time. Besides the fantastic golf- Chambers offers a first class experience to all types of golfers.

There is something magical about standing in the same fairway as Jordan Speith or hitting out of the same bunker as Tiger (I have hit into "Chambers Basement" on hole 18 two out of the three times I have played here. If you follow my path, which I do not advise, put the ball in the back of your stance, close your eyes, and swing).

Chambers is made for the creative golfer. You score well by using the natural slopes provided by the earth. There are vertical challenges all over this course.

Knowing where to hit your ball off the tee and where to hit your approach shot is a must. Like I mentioned, I read the hole-by-hole notes on the website- they are extremely helpful and worth the 30 seconds it takes to pull them up on your phone.

If you have never played Chambers, you can not go wrong with a twilight/ afternoon round. Out of the three times I have played, teeing off at 3:30 in august and walking up 18 with the sun setting over the sound, was a "goose bumps" type of experience.

I have ran into country club guys who love walking on flat surfaces and playing predictable courses and who bash Chambers when they have never even played it. I would encourage anyone who loves golf to play Chambers. Not just for the golf, but to dive into the creative mind of Robert Trent Jones III. I still find it amazing that he was able to look at that piece of land and imagine a golf course like Chambers. It is indeed amazing.

If you have any questions, comment and I am happy to share more about my experiences.

-AD

Commented On 05/29/2018

yeah I agree playing the last 4 holes in the evening is an amazing experience, although to get the ball up qiuckly as you must in the deep 18th hole bunker you would preferably play the ball slightly ahead of your normal ball position and open your clubface as needed and hit it hard. great write up!

Maybe one day I'll love it

Beautiful weather. Wonderful layout from tee to green. Green complexes at best are challenging to unfair. All that a few are missing is the windmill and clown's mouth.

Chambers is replacing turf on the greens. Unfortunately they are not redoing the entire green, just spots about the size of an area rug.

I'll come back if in the area. Would not make a special trip to play this course.

Commented On 05/29/2018

they are replacing most if not all greens but the patches on some of the greens are of the new poana grass to help it "take over" the fescue. unfair greens? not hardly

Birmingham Advisor

Everything I anticipated and more

This experience actually exceeded my expectations. Forecast called for 70% chance of t-storms but dodged it all day. Only sprinkled on us for half a hole, but was windy throughout the round. Course was in good shape. Fescue fairways were tight and I had to adjust my ball position slightly to strike it solidly. Greens were a little bumpy, but it didn't detract from my experience. I kind of chalk that up to part of the course's challenge. They were a bit on the slow side. Two holes - Nos. 10 and 13 - were on temps. Chambers is in the process of converting greens to pure Poa in response to the criticism during the U.S. Open, so there are patches throughout. I took a caddie and it was well-worth the investment, as he helped me with lines of entry into greens, numbers to carry and reading greens, especially long putts. This no doubt saved me strokes and allowed me to play very well. The course is expansive and landing areas were larger than appeared on TV. Hard to get in trouble. Didn't lose a ball the entire day. The staff here is super customer-service oriented. They genuinely want to make sure you are enjoying yourself. I am 42 and do not exercise, other than golf. I found the walk to be quite enjoyable and manageable. Was not as tiring or difficult as I expected. Must do: the snack shack has a wall display of ball markers from around the country and world. There is a sign that offers you a Chambers Bay ball marker in exchange for one of your local ball markers. Take advantage of this. It is a nice touch that I've never seen anywhere else. Bottom line: hard to get in trouble off the tee. Key to scoring is landing the ball on appropriate number and using the slopes to feed the ball toward the hole. I think lag-putting is the most important element to scoring well here as there are some dramatic slopes on the putting surfaces that are hard to discern.

FORGET THE HATERS

The host course for the 2015 US open is very challenging, fun, fair and sooo beautiful. Its links style so bounces don't always go your way. the greens still need some help but you can still make putts. The last 4 holes are classic!! the hardest part of chambers is the wind and the green areas. you need imagination, creativity and a good touch with putter and chips/pitches. for golf channel to not include this course as one of the best links course in America is not right. go play it! you wont regret and when the open comes back, the greens will be better

Texas Advisor

This is not the course you saw on tv

Wow. That's about all I can say with regards to this course. Is it quirky? Sure, a little....but just the right amount. As it pertains to the bucket list courses I've played, I'd have this slightly behind Kiawah Ocean and slightly ahead of Bethpage Black. Yeah the greens were a tad bit bumpy, but they actually rolled true.

The best part of this course is the layout and the variety of ways to play each shot. You could take a flag on or go twenty yards left/right/long of the pin and get the same results. While this course was tough enough to handle an Open, it still provides the high handicapper the option of running shots in low. I can't decide if this is a first or second shot golf course but it's probably both. Jones did a great job on the layout and provides a ton of visual intimidation similar to Pete Dye. Either take a caddy or go out way early with the locals who can give you some tips and lines to take. It's a tough walk, bring some snacks and Gatorade.

Some say this course is tough but I actually beat my handicap on it. If I wasn't playing with locals my score would have probably been eight shots higher but the locals offered fabulous tips on how to navigate each hole.

Facilities are great. Staff is great. Fellow players are great. You also can't beat the views out here.

Biggest piece of guidance: pay attention to the short side of the geeen and avoid it at all costs.

Commented On 05/30/2018

your right, the course set up and hardness (browness) of the open course was way more difficult than when it plays slower and greener. winning scores would have been -15+ under par, and thats the last thing the USGA wants

Must Play

This is one tough course. The greens have tremendous slope on them. While they are not "beautiful", they roll relatively true. If you pick the ball, this will play tough with you as everything is a very tight lie. The humps and bumps will seldom give you a level lie. It is a tough walk with tremendous elevation changes. My Fitbit indicated 45 flights of steps. Expect to get some good bounces and some really bad ones. The pot bunker on 18 (100 yards out from green) is jail (it is about 15 feet deep).

Lakewood, Washington
Anderson Island, Washington
Gig Harbor, Washington
Gig Harbor, Washington

Valid dates: May 23, 2019 - Jun 30, 2019
2 Nights lodging at the Best Western Plus of Santee (or comparable lodging partner) and play 3 Rounds of golf on Santee Cooper Resort’s two courses.
Stay and Play
Stay & Play in Golf’s Little Big Town!
Stay and Play
Summer Golf Getaway in Santee!
Stay and Play
Come play in the Olde English District!
Summer Special in Greenville, SC