Golfers can truly experience High Sierra golf at its finest at Coyote Moon Golf Course in Truckee, not far from the busting town of Reno. Located more than 6,000 feet above sea level, Coyote Moon is a delight for the senses, as the well-maintained fairways lead to blissful, panoramic views.

Part of what makes Reno and the High Sierras an outstanding golf destination, Coyote Moon was designed by former PGA Tour pro Brad Bell. This is a course that will challenge every level of golfer, and many make sure their vacation plans include a stop at this wilderness wonderland of a golf course.

With 18 scenic holes that overlook the Sierra Nevada ridgeline, Coyote Moon Golf Course gives players a true challenge. Because while the high altitudes will add distance to drives, the many trees will add a serious challenge, as will Trout Creek, which meanders throughout the course, With great service and conditions, Coyote Moon is a High Sierra gem.

Coyote Moon Golf Course
Scorecard for Coyote Moon
Black M: 73.6/140 561 447 207 441 404 396 527 173 434 3590 433 468 519 227 314 601 212 472 341 3587 7177
Blue M: 71.3/134 519 404 186 426 389 377 507 158 406 3372 408 436 492 206 294 567 183 434 312 3332 6704
White M: 69.2/130 W: 75.4/141 469 382 156 408 369 354 478 127 377 3120 389 407 458 187 243 541 161 412 293 3091 6211
Gold M: 64.1/120 W: 69.3/125 392 317 124 335 301 278 377 107 328 2559 306 339 387 108 211 461 112 312 227 2463 5022

Year Built 2000
Fairways Blue Grass
Greens Blue Grass
Golf Season May - October
Architect Brad Bell (2000)

Credit Cards Accepted Major credit cards are accepted.

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in California (2018 #7)

Think green

Beautiful green mountain/ snow
Green fairways , fast greens
Worth all the green you spend and still want more

the pace is Too slow

Too expensive for an okay of experience:

The layout is beautiful and of course is beautiful and the scenery is beautiful.

The pace of play was so awful that ruined the day, the conditions were terrible but that could have been due to a late snow.

Idaho Advisor

Everything You Might Imagine Mountain Golf To Be

Coyote Moon was a great golf experience. We planned this as a stop on our drive to California for the US Open at Pebble Beach and it was a perfect breath of fresh air along the way.

This course is located just outside of Reno in the high Sierra’s and is exactly the Mountain forest course you might imagine. The views are consistently fantastic, there are a lot of elevation changes, and there is no shortage of opportunities to lose your ball in the forest.

Because of the thick vegetation all around the Coyote Moon doesn’t do much in the way of bunkering for protection on the fairways. They just keep them appropriately wide to maintain a challenge and rely on angles to keep you honest. The green have just enough bunkering to offer resistance without making them too difficult to play; this is good because often there is enough to judge given changes of elevation etc. There are a handful of holes where one less tree on the corners would really open things up, this is clearly not the courses objective.

On the topic of elevation changes there are some really breathtaking holes that will quicken your pulse from the tee. Numbers 11 (a roughly 100 foot drop giving way to a 289 yard 3 wood) and 13 (well over 100 feet of drop leading to an 8 iron from 200 yards) come quickly to mind.

I played the Blue tees (not all the way back) which go about 6700 yards and play to a 70.9/134 which felt about right. There were plenty of opportunities to lose balls (the aforementioned par 3 13 for example offers little respite for a ball that misses the green by very much); however, if you kept your ball on the short(ish) grass there is no reason you can’t post a respectable score. Having never played there before, I was only a couple strokes above my handicap.

I’ve read complaints about the “driving range,” which is simply a set of mats from which you fire into a net about 20 yards away. If you wanted to use Coyote Moon as a practice facility I can see where this would be a problem. For me, as someone who was there expressly for a round it was perfectly fine; I’m only on the range to get loose, not to try and flight my clubs. By contrast, the putting/chipping green is very large with lots of slope to practice just about every short game shot you might want to hit. When I was there, the practice green was rolling about the same as the greens on the course, which is all I really want from my putting warm-up.

The service in the pro-shop, cafe, and from the grounds crew was terrific. Everyone seemed enthusiastic to be there and eager to help. The starter was “that guy” which, depending on your taste is great or not so great. He walked me through several of the more “complex” holes and gave me some valuable insight about how the greens run in relation to the mountains around us. I love the “strater chat” so this was great for me.

Great course to play in Tahoe

CONS

I reserved a tee time using the Golfnow app and this caused some issues while paying for the rounds. The Golfnow app charged a portion that should have reduced what I paid at the clubhouse, but ended up being charged again at the clubhouse. The staff member appeared annoyed and unwilling to assist with the issue and deflected it to something I needed to work out with Golfnow.

The "driving range" is just a net with mats placed dangerously close together.

The fairways and greens where not up to standard but that's to be expected with Spring weather conditions.

PROS

The staff as a whole was very prompt and friendly.

The putting and chipping surfaces are very spacious and fun to shoot around on.

The views throughout the winding course we're spectacular. The course itself was a welcome challenge that isn't readily available where I am from.

A+

Coyote Moon delivers a challenge that should be taken on only by those seeking to be enveloped by picturesque panoramic views where every shot requires attention as each result will either have you admiring your surroundings or becoming part of them
You will find as many balls as you lose. Placing shots is a must on the majority of the holes.
The greens were pacing at an 11. Every shot hitting into the East draws your ball off the back of the green and into the wonderland of the Sierra foilage.
This will be an annual round for me for years to come.

Coyote Moon is still my favorite golf course

I come up to Tahoe at the end of August every summer and never miss a chance to play Coyote Moon. It’s stunningly beautiful and always well maintained. If you’ve never played here you must experience it!

Coyote Moon is a beautiful course in a beautiful place.

This course punishes you if you miss the fairways so pick your tees well and bring plenty of balls. If your game is on the course will reward you. Some very unusual golf holes.

A howlin' good time at Coyote Moon

If I could give it 4.85 stars I would. It's oh so close to being a five-star facility. All it lacks is a bit of playability for us mid to high handicaps. The land isn't flat, so neither is your lie. That makes hitting so many elevated and popup greens so difficult. The white tees we played did offer up a couple short par 5s (478 and 458 yards) as compensation. The drop-shot par-3 13th hole ranks among the best par 3s in California. A true jaw dropper.
It's hard not to love the entire experience, no matter your score. We were bummed some coyote pups seen by the staff weren't hanging around their den behind the 12th green. Seeing them would have made a special day magical.

This course had great layout and was so much fun!!!

Delivers

Coyote Moon was a pleasure. I came in solo about a week before season closing. They had me playing with a fun couple from SF, and all of us thoroughly enjoyed our round. The course is cut out of the rough terrain and sweeping panorama of the Sierra Nevada crest in Truckee. So many different looks and angles make the course a delight as you discover each new hole. It is pretty tight in some areas and you will likely experience some tactical shots from the pines with wayward shots. Relatively difficult greens await you on every approach and you really have to manage your putting to avoid 3-jacks. It's a phenomenal deal in the fall, but I would pay top price to play here in the peak season.

Beautiful

Nice track in the trees at 6200 elevation. Beautiful spot nice greens and challenging layout. I will be back.

The best in Tahoe area

We have an annual trip to Lake Tahoe area and this is always our last course. It is simply fantastic and the back 9 is one of the best around. So many elevation changes and it isn't an easy course. It is a must play in the Tahoe area.

Serene

Beautiful course - challenging at times - but some holes were pars If you need to practice you won't get much here. You hit into a net. Staff very friendly - not very busy when we played - so we got to go off early since we were a twosome. Loved that there was not many bunkers. Other courses had way too many bunkers

Absolutely beautiful like all the others we played in Tahoe - we felt like we were all alone at times - how they get golf courses carved out of all the mountains is beyond me

Very Challenging Course

I played this course 15 years ago and found it very challenging. So when you see I played Dec 2016 It actually was Dec 2002. Play was smooth and fast as we used carts for our foursome. The grounds were manicured perfectly and greens perfect!
This course is at 6000 foot level and the ball moves fast and sharply. I am a 18 handicap and use hybrid clubs and loved this course..

The best !!!

Do you love to play golf?
Go play here.
I am 5 handicap player and this course was the best.

Gorgeous track, fun to play

One of the most beautiful courses I've played. No houses, which makes it peaceful. Course is challenging, but pretty fair. Some blind shots. Played the whites--for a 16 handicap, that was the correct call. The challenges is not in the length, its in the doglegs and sloped lies. Greens in superb condition, and fast.

Two knocks: no driving range...it took a few holes for me to warm up. Paid $135 even with an NCGA discount...expensive in my book.

18 Beautiful Holes

Coyote Moon is an excellent golf course. I play Coyote Moon this time of year when they offer an early season special for NCGA members. I would never pay full price.

Bring your camera because each hole is special. It doesn't favor one type of golfer over the other, but it does help if the straight hitter since it's tree-lined.

Like other have mentioned, there is no driving range, but they do have warm-up stations.

I love Coyote Moon and try to play it once a year.

Save your time and money.

The course is beautiful, however it comes with no driving range, 5 hour rounds, and a snarky/rude australian marshal. I was quite amazed by how rude the marshall was. I won't be going back.

Wonderful

Had to cost a fortune to build such a nice course in the mountains and rocky areas. Really beautiful and well groomed. Definitely a recommended experience.

Olympic Valley, California