Golfers can truly experience High Sierra golf at its finest at Coyote Moon Golf Course in Truckee, not far from the busting town of Reno. Located more than 6,000 feet above sea level, Coyote Moon is a delight for the senses, as the well-maintained fairways lead to blissful, panoramic views.

Part of what makes Reno and the High Sierras an outstanding golf destination, Coyote Moon was designed by former PGA Tour pro Brad Bell. This is a course that will challenge every level of golfer, and many make sure their vacation plans include a stop at this wilderness wonderland of a golf course.

With 18 scenic holes that overlook the Sierra Nevada ridgeline, Coyote Moon Golf Course gives players a true challenge. Because while the high altitudes will add distance to drives, the many trees will add a serious challenge, as will Trout Creek, which meanders throughout the course, With great service and conditions, Coyote Moon is a High Sierra gem.

Coyote Moon Golf Course

Year Built 2000
Fairways Blue Grass
Greens Blue Grass
Golf Season May - October
Architect Brad Bell (2000)

Credit Cards Accepted Major credit cards are accepted.

Bar, Grill

Clubhouse

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in California (2018 #7)

incredible layout,ridiculous fairway and tee box conditions

I'm sure when this course is in pristine condition its amazing,but when we played they must have just punched tee boxes and everything but greens(they were in good condition).Huge(and I mean huge)grass plus were left everywhere but the green so drives hit these and bounced off whatever way or stopped on them.Right off green there were so many you had to chip or spend 5 minutes clearing them out of the way to put.Tee boxes you had to walk up onto them and look for markers as they had been removed to punch and were lying off on the backside of tee boxes so we replaced them and swept off the plugs so we could tee off.Pace was close to 5 1/2 hrs and I'm guessing this is why,even a perfect drive in middle of fairway could hit a plug and bounce hard left or right were it could roll off into bushes.Then there was of course the maintenence guys doing doughnuts on the tee boxes trying to break the plugs up with a screen they were pulling(didn't really work to well) we still had to kick them off were we put tee in.But I must say I was VERY disappointed they did not point this out prior to booking cuz I would have played elsewhere till this was in its regular condition so I could have enjoyed it.we finished last hole about 6:38 and could barely see and it was cold,think we were close to last cart in cuz guy followed us to car to grab cart right after we unloaded it.Very scenic and probably an amazing course to play when clean,but they need to be more forthcoming about conditions prior to play or give a discount cuz 100.00 for that was complately ridiculous.But The Grizzly the next day for 75.00 made up for it and one of the most amazing courses I have played in pristine condition.....amazing

Super Fun, but Took Forever

Beautiful views. Fantastic location amongst tall Tahoe pines. Well kept course. Smooth and fast greens. But 5+ hours for a course over 100 bucks. That was the only bummer. Other than that ... Wow!

Worked for me

Can't beat the area. In the beautiful confines of Truckee "forest." The pace of play slowed a little on the 13th hole, but it still was moving nice! Gorgeous scenery. FRESH AIR. Tough course even for the best. First time played and I WILL DEFINITELY be back. Best course I played in my life due to the course location.

Great course, terribly slow play.

Course was in fantastic shape but I was only able to finish 14 holes through 4 hours when darkness hit. The on course ranger made it a point to tell the last several groups we should go in on the 12th and 13th holes despite not trying to speed along anyone in the group last ahead.

Everything else was great but I wouldn’t tee off in the afternoon as it gets really backed up.

Slow Play and Poor conditions

4 of us were on a research trip to evaluate golf courses for our club as travel destinations. Its 4 hours from our location to Truckee/Reno. While the course is picturesque and the staff friendly, we were very dissappointed to find that half of the fairways were being aireated, leaving huge plugs all over the fairways. It was nearly impossible to hit a fairway shot due to the plugs all over the fairways. Also, the pace of play was very slow. We allowed a 2 some to pass us on 9, caught up with them on 13 as they were waiting for the group ahead. The Marshall came by and asked us if we knew why the people 2 groups ahead were playing so slow--isn't that his job? We had hoped to finish 18 in under 4.5 hours, but decided to leave after 16 after almost 4.5 hours and we had a 4 hour drive ahead. Maybe this isn't the norm for the course, but we played 2 other courses around the Lake and had much better experiences.

4 hrs and 50 min - REALLY!?!???

This is an extremely difficult golf course. Very narrow and if you don't know the layout - buy a course guide in the pro shop cuz there's no gps on the carts!

Yes you read that right - 4 hrs and 50 min to play today. Awful and unacceptable.

But - I'll be back. It's too good of a track to NOT play.

The course was great. But I left my wifi device in the cart and didn't get it back.

Outrageously difficult greens

First time playing and I don't think I'll play here again. Definitely not for beginners. The severity of the undulation on the greens was astonishing, and for me, just too much. On the practice green I said to myself "there's no way it will be like this on the course," and I was wrong. Uphill putts were rolling back to my feet and barely struck down hill putts were flying off the green. Course is gorgeous. Greens were in great shape, they are just insane and makes it really difficult to score. 18th green (waving tiers on an elevated green) is straight up mickey mouse.

Also had an almost a 30 minute wait on one hole, #13, a severe downhill par 3. Am employee was even there to marshall and it still was a huge wait. This seems like it should be a 3:30 course and it took 5 hours to play. Design is funky, trying to utilize the landscape but in some cases just made weird holes to play.

If you're in the area and are going to be paying this much to golf I would suggest Old Greenwood or Gray's Crossing instead.

The course fairways were in great shape but the greens were just ok. The guys in the pro shop were kinda rude. The starter was excellent and so was the snack bar hostess. There was no cart service on the course, so it was just an ok experience

great round with friends

Manage to play here a couple of times each season. Started at 8:30 and the 4 of us finished in 3hrs and 50 min. The greens were in great condition and always very challenging. The tee boxes and fairways were in excellent shape as well. Employees we encountered on course were very friendly. I always tell people who want to play a nice course in the Tahoe Truckee area you can't go wrong with Coyote Moon, a beautiful mountain golf experience with not a home in sight. Always enjoy seeing the wild life here.

Great golf

Great golf course with well manicured bent grass greens.

Coyote Moon golf course in Truckee, CA

Love this course! Challenging, but I always score exceedingly well here. Saw two healthy looking coyotes and a handful of deer. Oh, and a tree on hole 2 that got hit by lightening!

Very picturesque

One of the prettiest and diverse courses. Greens are very challenging. If you are lucky you may see a few handsome bucks locking antlers in play

Perfect

The staff was amazing an the course was even better.. definitely playing again asap

Really Nice Course

This is the second time I have played this course. The first time was a couple of years ago was a 1-2 star rating as the personnel (especially the course marshall's) wrecked the experience. No one seemed to appreciate guest golfers.
However, this time they seemed to have learned from other past player's comments as it was a very pleasurable experience. The staff was welcoming and friendly from start to finish and the course was in excellent condition. Only once did we have to ask the Marshall to stop following so close (we were on schedule). He did.

Resort/Semi-Private